PDA

View Full Version : Fisher Powerwood >>

Kirko
03-08-2009, 06:52 PM
I just remembered this frame a mono-shaft racket similar in looks to the Superform. played Great big time heft and power! I used one when I lived in La Jolla,CA way back.

jmjmkim
03-08-2009, 07:52 PM
I grew up in Encinitas, way back. I hung out at the COVE often, snorkling. I remember a great Mexican resteraunt neat there.

jimbo333
03-08-2009, 08:01 PM
I grew up in Devon, and used to go surfing in the Summer, in Croyde bay, or Woolacombe Bay if Croyde was a bit busy. Well I say surfing, more lying around on the beach really!!!

But isn't this supposed to a thread about Fischer Powerwoods? I do have one, and it has a very small, ulmost unhitable head, smaller than anything I've ever played with I reckon:) At least it seemed small compared to my MAX200G:) I know someones gonna tell me they are are same size or something, but I just couldn't find the sweetspot on the Powerwood:)

dataseviltwin
03-08-2009, 08:13 PM
They tried to get one of my friends we called "Neanderthal" to play with it back in the day... Should've been perfect for him, but he stuck with his Kramers/Pro Staffs...

joe sch
03-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Very unique rackets to collect and play. The powerwood was a woody prototype for the graphite superform. Check out some pics of both models:

http://www.woodtennis.com/fischer/

schu47
03-10-2009, 02:56 PM
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_R75QH658YRs/SbbsYBMoHvI/AAAAAAAARio/pR9MxA7H3tU/s800/P3060060

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_R75QH658YRs/SbbsY0RjGDI/AAAAAAAARiw/8QERgFqsoFY/s800/P3060061.JPG

Here's a Powerwood, next to the Superform Stan Smith midsize. That dramatic taper in the Powerwood gives it a lot less hitting area, it seems like, than even the Superform. The Powerwood has some thick shoulders on it, though. They're both heavy-duty.

jimbo333
03-10-2009, 03:40 PM
I thought I remembered this correctly, it really wasn't easy to hit:)

schu47
03-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Jimbo, the sweet spot on the Powerwood is miniscule. You hit it just below center and it'll ricochet off the frame and end up at your next door neighbor's. But it will build up your forearms in a hurry.

jimbo333
03-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I just remember it having the smallest sweetspot of any racquet I've ever hit:)

I'll dig mine out and give it a go soon, although it will need stringing I think? Will have to have a look:)

Rabbit
03-10-2009, 07:15 PM
I own a Stan Smith Mid...and there ain't nothing mid about it. That thing is a beast! Those frames, especially the Superform were my absolute favs...beautiful frames.

Kirko
03-10-2009, 08:13 PM
I own a Stan Smith Mid...and there ain't nothing mid about it. That thing is a beast! Those frames, especially the Superform were my absolute favs...beautiful frames.

Rabbit i wanted a Smith Superform so bad !!!! never happened I remember it got a marvelous review in world tennis magazine Mary Carrillo reviewd rackets for them at the time. she siad the smith superform looked like a Porsche and it did. I used the powerwood heavy, but I played ALL the time so the weight was huge plus.

plasma
03-10-2009, 09:50 PM
I'd love to find another black fischer superform (original) in l or lm...
http://i42.tinypic.com/zk3d5k.jpg
The silver one has amazing and crisp performance, and ps like playability, like slicing through salmon with a Ginsu, far more precise than the ps 85 and even more precise than the ti 70! I prefer the playability of the original black one though as it has less modern and more heavy old school feel.

Rabbit
03-11-2009, 03:36 AM
Rabbit i wanted a Smith Superform so bad !!!! never happened I remember it got a marvelous review in world tennis magazine Mary Carrillo reviewd rackets for them at the time. she siad the smith superform looked like a Porsche and it did. I used the powerwood heavy, but I played ALL the time so the weight was huge plus.

Yep, they looked so cool. I can still remember Frew McMillan swinging one.

plasma
03-11-2009, 08:44 PM
I am the man in Munch's the scream!!! I am Ralph Ellison's invisible man, sandwiched between painfully intense karmic personal greivances.
my surreal world of ergotistical madness will not subside until I find another superform (l or lm pls, no m!). Bail me out of my purgatory, give me my 12 austrian ounces of graphite that I may transcend this curse of your 98 square inch sweatshopped world!

Hannah19
04-04-2009, 10:29 AM
my surreal world of ergotistical madness will not subside until I find another superform (l or lm pls, no m!).

Plasma, I've got a superform for you if you want it.:)

Drop me a line at: mozart19@zonnet.nl