PDA

View Full Version : Quality Control

miniRafa386
03-08-2009, 09:22 PM
which companies have the best/worst QC? I know that wilson has pretty lame QC and yonex has good QC, but what about head, prince, babolat, tecnifibre, etc? I just want to hear everyone's opinion

from my own experience, head has so-so QC. i have 7 radicals, all which weigh 11.2 strung. however, the balance from one to the other is much different as is significantly noticable.

kingdaddy41788
03-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I've always felt Head had pretty good quality control - the two prestiges I have are exactly the same. I only need two because I string my own racquet so if one pops I string it the same day. But all four flexpoint prestiges I had were quite close if I remember correctly...

Oh, and wilson quality control is a JOKE. But they do acknowledge that - they replace just about any cracked racquet...

furyoku_tennis
03-09-2009, 12:00 AM
volkl and fischer both have great QC.

fin-tennis(h)
03-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Here's my experience. IMO Head has the worst QC at the moment, Austrian ones were much better. Wilson has a big weight variation but the quality is litle better. Fischer, Dunlop and Tecnifibre are all good. Yonex and Babolat are between those two groups. I don't have an opinion/experience about the others.

Babolat
-weight/balance/flex variation: small
-grommets: ok quality (a litle fragile), fit nicely
-broken frames: not so often

Dunlop
-weight/balance variation: small
-grommets: good ones, fit nicely
-broken frames: hardly any

Fischer
-weight/balance/flex variation: small to none
-grommets: good, fit nicely

Head
-weight/balance/flex variation: a lot (all 3), special mention: differences in lenght unstrung
-grommets: CAPs fit just fine, others are lesser quality and don't fit that well
-broken frames: lots of them, litle cracks are common, most prone rackets to snap when stringing. So 2-piece from hoop down all the way!

Tecnifibre
-grommets: good quality, good fit.

Wilson
-weight/balance/flex variation: huge
-grommets: good quality, good fit
-broken frames: not so often, well if you compare it to the amount of Wilson sold.

Yonex
-broken frames: more than average

jazar
03-09-2009, 01:32 AM
i once found more than 20g of variance between grip sizes 1 and 5 on prince 03 reds, so i dont think much of their qc.

head are ok, sometimes i little off but nothing that a little lead cant solve.

babolat i think are a little worse than head. but they say, or at least they used to say, on their frames that weights were +-5g

fin-tennis(h)
03-09-2009, 01:47 AM
They (Babolat) say it's +/- 7g but the frames match better than that.

BorisBeckerFan
03-09-2009, 02:06 AM
I am only going to comment on the frames I have used with in the last couple
of years. I can't comment on companies as a whole since I don't go around
demoing and testing different products all the time. I have used the Liquid
Metal Prestige mids which I hate. However the two frames I had matced great. No lead needed. Paint Grommets etc all excellent. I had two shiny, High Quality, Identical turds. I tried wilson K90s and wilson kblade I liked
the k90 but I was uanble to get matched sticks. I won't say who I orderd
them from as I don't want to get kicked off the board but lets just say I don't think they even bothered weighing the sticks they were so far off. The two k90s played vastly different with the same string, grip size, tension etc.
I hated the kblade so I didn't give it a long look. I am now playing Microgel
Prestige Mids and while not the Identical match that liquid metals were these
frames are really a close match. I don't think most people could tell the
difference with out instrumentation. It' isn't the best frame i've played but it
does the job and I am unwilling to shell out the money for unused PS 6.0 or Old School Prestiges. I think having frames that match is highly important
in a game that rewards consistency. If I had to choose between frames I love
but is hard to get them to match and frames I just like but are identical I would choose the Identical frames. I know tennis is more about the player
than the frame but when you are trying to replicate consistent strokes it
is good to have your gear being consistent also.

BorisBeckerFan
03-09-2009, 02:12 AM
Sorry, after reading my post it makes it look like I was referrring to Tennis Warehouse. It is not. I wrote that because we are not allowed to mention other online retailers. The purchases I have made from Tennis Warehouse have worked out great for me.

orangeblood
03-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Yonex
-broken frames: more than average

Fin, could you elaborate more about broken frames, especially as it pertains to Yonex?

miniRafa386
03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Babolat
-grommets: ok quality (a litle fragile), fit nicely
-broken frames: not so often

so would you say babolat has good quality control?

Staiger
03-09-2009, 05:12 PM
I am sorry to say this but Wilson has the worst Q/C with rackets. I had 2 kblades 98 from a friend to demo and without the paintjob you can never tell that they are the same racket. I am sure Wilson know hat their Q/C is cr*p but does anyone know if they are trying to improve !

Also some range of Head racket like the Extreme have poor Q/C as well but Radical and Prestige are not too bad

McLovin
03-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Fischer
-weight/balance/flex variation: small to none
-grommets: good, fit nicely

I can vouch for the weight & balance of the Fischers. I have 6 M-Comp 95s, most of which were purchased at different times. All weigh exactly the same (I put them on a postal scale), and all are balanced the same.

I can't say for certain about the flex, but they all feel the same to me.

I did have a problem w/ one of the grommets, but that was replaced free.

No broken frames yet.

beckham
03-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Both Yonex and Volkl have great QC

fin-tennis(h)
03-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Fin, could you elaborate more about broken frames, especially as it pertains to Yonex?

They seem to get little cracks quite often. Also, i've seen some RDS rackets broken in the handle, which is rare with many other brands. But they do have one of the best grommets btw.

so would you say babolat has good quality control?

I would say it's average. Definitely better than Wilson's and Head's. Weights and balances match nicely, but grommets are fragile.

Tennis_dude ^_^
03-11-2009, 07:13 PM
basically the non really popular rackets have awesome control
i love tecnifibre
but the big name ones like wilson suck
they do have ok control if the head size is small though
babolat believe it or not has control
it might be me but for 100 inch head size there pretty good
if i ever want a 100 inch head racket i go to them

Tennis_dude ^_^
03-11-2009, 07:15 PM
but hey guys what about prince