PDA

View Full Version : Is Facial Hair "Cool" On Pros?

kimbahpnam
03-08-2009, 11:54 PM
It seems like most players shave before a match. Sampras always seemed clean shaven during matches, but doesn't really seem to care nowadays. I don't think I've seen a picture of Federer with much stubble in a match. Same goes for Nadal. Is it strictly because of a heat issue that people don't grow beards and play? That'd be awesome to see on Federer! I don't think Nadal has the follicles. I think Safin just isn't the same without facial hair.

matchmaker
03-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Well, there was a time when having this kind of incipient beard would be very common.

Think of Rafter, who would have a week old beard and a warrior like look with sun cream applied with thick layers on his nose and cheeks.

Or Ivanisevic, my goodness at the end of one of his Wimbledon campaigns he looked like Jesus on the cross: emaciated with a long, full beard. Not only that but he would also let his hair grow and have it in a sort of palm tree on top of his head.

Agassi used to have a goatee in some of his matches.

Safin is often unshaven for days with a little facial hair growing around his mouth.

Murray displays the worst form of facial hair around, although he has been more cleanly shaved more recently.

I think the problem with the facial hair issue is that some pros look just neglected. It would be cool to have a pro with a real goatee, well taken care of a la Marcelo Rios or Arnaud Clement (I remember he even had it dyed blond).

tahiti
03-09-2009, 01:09 AM
I don't think facial hair is cool on any guy, let alone the pros. I've seen many who don't shave the week through the tournament, it's apparently got to do with superstitious beliefs and good luck. Some don't shave then tidy themselves up if they make it to the finals. I'm not a guy I don't why guys like to grow their facial hair. The beard on Tipsaravic right now IMO looks awful. Baby smooth is far more attractive. But maybe it gives guys a feeling of being "super manly" or just gives them a break from shaving.

ThA_Azn_DeViL
03-09-2009, 03:50 AM
Depends on the guy, Murray is probably one of the worst culprits for looking ugly with facial hair, while others may look well with it, its just how natural you look :).

Roberto
03-09-2009, 05:57 AM
Is facial hair cool on Pro's ?

Not on the WTA-pros, me thinks...it's good some of them shave

juju
03-09-2009, 07:40 AM
I think it depends of the player...There are men that don't look good with faciall hair and others look great!:) I actually find Tipsarevic very attractive with the beard:cool::mrgreen:He doesn't look the same without it!

Gemini
03-09-2009, 07:49 AM
I am a guy and I sport some sort of facial hair (groomed and not-so-groomed). What I've learned about facial hair is that some guys actually need it (if they can grow it) to add some definition to their faces.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
03-09-2009, 07:53 AM
I do not like the half shaved, stubbly look whatsoever. It looks unkempt and unprofessional to me, although I realize it might be a guy's personal style. If they are going to have a beard or goatee and mustache (very rare I know), please at least have it neat.

Just like in "ordinary" people's lives, I think facial hair or no facial hair depends on the person's looks and how they can pull it off. Some guys look good with the mustache and goatee, some don't. I personally like a guy with a nice mustache and goatee as long as it fits them.

Players with great goatee looks: Dusan Vemic and Tipsarevic

Players with half shaved butt looking scruff: Simon, Murray,Tsonga, Malisse among others.

Pat Rafter looked ok with the few days growth l do agree.

Ocean Drive
03-09-2009, 08:01 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/5/photos/gallery/2009/daviscup/f3.jpg

Marat looks much younger without facial hair, with it he looks about 40.

radicalsaint
03-09-2009, 08:07 AM
I like Marat with the facial hair... As for Roger, i doubt Gillette will let him keep anything since he's endorsing their Gillette Fusion shavers

Leublu tennis
03-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Depends on the guy, Murray is probably one of the worst culprits for looking ugly with facial hair, while others may look well with it, its just how natural you look :).
Djokovic looked awful during the DC. He just had a heavy 5 pm shadow on his chin. Ridiculous. More hair, if you can grow it, or shave it off.

JoshDragon
03-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Facial hair is definitely not cool.

saram
03-09-2009, 10:14 AM
currently challenging Murray:

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww181/saramphotos/Del-Potro-feiert-zweiten-Turniersie.jpg

Dino Lagaffe
03-09-2009, 10:28 AM
http://rookery2.viary.com/storagev12/744000/744078_f840_625x1000.jpg

Bad beard

http://pro.corbis.com/images/AACC001190.jpg?size=67&uid=%7BA16E4C3F-0681-41D9-ACC1-26E32956C560%7D

Good beard

Joseph L. Barrow
03-09-2009, 10:37 AM
It seems like most players shave before a match. Sampras always seemed clean shaven during matches, but doesn't really seem to care nowadays. I don't think I've seen a picture of Federer with much stubble in a match. Same goes for Nadal. Is it strictly because of a heat issue that people don't grow beards and play? That'd be awesome to see on Federer! I don't think Nadal has the follicles. I think Safin just isn't the same without facial hair.
Djokovic had a beard for a little while last year. Roddick usually has a five o'clock shadow out there, and grew a little beard during the 2004 Wimbledon. I believe Ferrer has worn facial hair out on court at times. Generally not especially trendy, though, it's true.

As for its being a "heat thing," unless we're talking about a wooly, mountain man or Santa Claus-type beard, I'm quite positive it doesn't make a difference; are you a female, perchance?

Joseph L. Barrow
03-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Oh, and Baghdatis has pulled off the scruffy bearded thing pretty well in the past.

coloskier
03-09-2009, 11:43 AM

Add Wawrinka to that list. Ugly without a shave. Of course Murray is just plain ugly anyway, so I guess with him it really doesn't matter.

tahiti
03-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Lol. Sharapova looks hilarious!
It's true actually, Baggie looks cute even with a bit of facial hair....though I don't know if he's kissable in that state!

SaintClaires
03-09-2009, 12:03 PM
I can't believe this is a thread . . . some people have way too much free time.

kimbahpnam
03-09-2009, 12:11 PM

I'll accept the fact that you're new here and won't try to justify this thread to you. However, if you can't believe this is a thread, just wait, you're in for big surprises.

kimbahpnam
03-09-2009, 12:15 PM
http://rookery2.viary.com/storagev12/744000/744078_f840_625x1000.jpg

Good beard

Looks like Mardy Fish gone wrong.

sureshs
03-09-2009, 12:16 PM

Like you? How come you have the time to post here?

tahiti
03-09-2009, 12:17 PM
I'll accept the fact that you're new here and won't try to justify this thread to you. However, if you can't believe this is a thread, just wait, you're in for big surprises.

:) Ditto. Saint Claire, bienvenue.... to "war on the web"

Leublu tennis
03-09-2009, 12:42 PM

But its particularly bad during a DC week.

Cyan
03-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Players like Rafa and Marat look hot with stubble. Then again Rafa and Marat look hot no matter what. :)