PDA

View Full Version : Anyone gone from a heavy racket to a much lighter one?

morten
03-09-2009, 09:14 AM
I am tempted to switch from 360gram racket to a 322gr... opinions? Anyone done it succesfully? I have always liked heavy rackets but i just want something very different(lol, dont ask why) BTW the new racket i am considering is Prince warrior m+ and i am a tournament player...

BobFL
03-09-2009, 09:18 AM
What are their sws? Btw, I have both heavy/ier and light/er racquets. I switch when I am tired and, you know, when I have 'those' days when 13oz feel like 13lbs :)

morten
03-09-2009, 09:27 AM
swingweight is the same, 325

jessey
03-09-2009, 10:05 AM
I am tempted to switch from 360gram racket to a 322gr... opinions? Anyone done it succesfully? I have always liked heavy rackets but i just want something very different(lol, dont ask why) BTW the new racket i am considering is Prince warrior m+ and i am a tournament player...

i've switched from Wilson ROK 11.7 to Aeropro drive 11.3. I'd say the switch is pretty successful but you have to get used to the different sw somewhat adjust your timing a bit.

VGP
03-09-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm contemplating going from my 14 ounce Dunlop McEnroe Master IIs to the kPS88......

Rabbit
03-09-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm contemplating going from my 14 ounce Dunlop McEnroe Master IIs to the kPS88......

lol

To answer the OP, yes. I went from a ProStaff 85 to a Hammer 5.0 which was about a 2.5 ounce drop. Didn't suffer any ill effects until I settled on Prince Pro Blend 18 at 65 pounds. Developed a pretty good case of tendonitis.

Game-wise, I played really well with the Hammer 5.0, produced way more spin with it than the 85 and did everything pretty well. The real improvement overall though was my groundstrokes.

EasleyTennis
03-09-2009, 11:31 AM
It was much easier for me to go from a light racket to a heavier racket rather than vice versa. After playing with my pure drive there is no way i could go back to my head lm4

VGP
03-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks Rabbit.

I'm actually being serious. The kPS88 that I have weighs 12.9 ounces and it feels like a feather. If I like the Wilson, I might be going back.

The Dunlops could be just a distraction between my PS85s and the kPS88. I was using the Chinese PS85s and those felt too light and empty but I still would use them. The kPS88 has a thickness to it that is reminiscent of the older PS85s.

henryshli
03-09-2009, 11:34 AM
I also find heavy to light impossible and also the feel suffers on impact.

wrxtotoro
03-09-2009, 11:36 AM
It was much easier for me to go from a light racket to a heavier racket rather than vice versa. After playing with my pure drive there is no way i could go back to my head lm4

After I got used to the PDR+, the Fxp Radical OS feels weird too...

Automatix
03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
10characters

morten
03-09-2009, 11:55 AM
great, i want more stories :)

EasleyTennis
03-09-2009, 12:03 PM

I know you said "don't ask why," but I'm going to ask why anyways. Maybe you should try some different racquets that are heavy as well.

ohplease
03-09-2009, 12:08 PM
I've tried to go lighter on several occasions. Over an ounce (30 grams) has always been too big a jump. Around half an ounce (15) grams is doable. Additionally, I need to make the balance longer by a couple points and actually increase the swingweight beyond that of the heavier frames.

Currently rocking LM Instincts weighted up to 335 grams, swingweight's probably around 340 or 350 or so. This from 355 grams, 8 points headlight, maybe 320-330 swingweight.

Why I made the switch: I found that it's really easy to play more passively with traditionally weighted player's frames. The tweener lacks that margin - I've got to go after it and generate spin to keep it in the court. Passive tennis just doesn't work. Plus, more power on tap when necessary. End result w/the weighted up tweener is a consistently bigger ball and more aggression over all. I really wanted to play with it stock, but just couldn't make it work.

GPB
03-09-2009, 12:09 PM
For the past 6 months or so, I played with a Vantage leaded up to 14.1 oz. I adjusted my game to hit with it, and it worked well.

Now I'm demoing around, trying to find another stick to that hits just like it. What I've realized is that I really appreciate a slightly lighter frame. The Redondo Mid was significantly lighter to swing, and I could hit all the "junk" shots that my heavy frame wouldn't allow me to hit. I couldn't stick with that frame, since I really appreciate an open string pattern. I demoed the K90 for a little while, and then moved on to the Bab Pure Storm Tour (very nice) and the Microgel Prestige Pro (also very nice).

So I changed from heavy to (semi)light, and now I'm trying to get back a little heavier again.

As an aside, I have taken some weight off my Vantage lately, so it's down at a more "normal" weight, though I don't know exactly what the specs are...

TsongaBonga
03-09-2009, 12:29 PM
I just took some lead tape off of mine...I was starting to get elbow pain. Now it's gone.

fuzz nation
03-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Disclaimer: I trust those listed sw's about as much as I trust the flex ratings on the spec sheet for most racquets - not so much.

If you've got two frames with different static weights and the same listed swingweights, I'd expect them to handle a lot differently. The lighter frame must be a lot less headlight. Maybe not a bad thing if you're a baseliner, but as an all court player, I crave heft and headlight balance. For me, there's just no getting around it.

I've used rather hefty bats just about forever and I've tried significantly lighter ones in recent years as I retooled my backcourt skills, etc. The lighter frames obviously "whup" around rather quickly, but I found that to duplicate the power that I had enjoyed with my heavier racquets, I had to overswing. Suddenly my serves seemed to have a governor on them when I wanted to let them fly and the feeling was sort of like trying to use the same effort to throw a whiffle ball that I'd use to throw a baseball. Yes, I hurt myself a little bit. Then I talked to some guys I know and play with and a couple of them ran into tendonitis and some injuries after trying lighter racquets, too.

It's probably easy for us to agree that for some players, some frames are too heavy, but only because of my experiences and from asking around have I become cautious about the idea of going to racquets that are lighter that what you're used to. I think that a half an ounce can make a substantial difference - my "off day" frames are only a couple of tenths of an ounce lighter than my regulars. If you make a transition in either direction, I recommend taking the time to do it gradually so that you're on the safe side.

MCN
03-09-2009, 01:49 PM
I agree with others here - going from heavy to light is a nightmare. With heavier racquets you learn to use the racquet's weight to block balls and let the racquet 'do the work' with a better executed swing. I have to say that I love lighter racquets for whipping around topspins (using lots of wrist) but this can lead to all sorts of injuries. I find light raquets only good for 1 or 2 types of shots, but playing an all court game with volleys suffers as the racquest is just not stable enough. Trick is to find the 'heaviest-light' racquet you can so you can get the plough through and stability that's important, but still keep a good head speed going to crush the ball. In the end I dropped 1/2 oz from a 12oz stick to a 11.5oz one, but could not go further because my game started suffering.

klementine
03-09-2009, 02:00 PM
It takes some time to adjust after having spent so much time with a heavy frame. Your forehands will sail on you, your backhand will be out of sink and the serve will just not time up. Forcing you to play with spin and only spin. It takes about 4-5hours of continious play to adjust completely, sometimes days.

My brother who plays with the k90, uses a weighted sleeve, remember the tennis bags that racquets used to come with, that just cover the head. It's exactly that but weighted. He warms up (no ball hitting ofcourse) with the sleeve on for about a minute, just loosening up. Then his k90 feels manueverable.

It's all about muscle memory and then shocking the muscles when the plateau hits, just like working out, different routines and exercises will benefit you more.

Keifers
03-09-2009, 02:20 PM
I went from racquets weighing 355-365 grams to the AG100, around 338 grams. But that's really a testament to the AG100, a groundbreaking lightweight player's frame.

There's no substitute for mass in some situations. And the K88 turns out to be a marvelous stick. Mine are about 368 grams and 8 pts HL (and much less than 345 sw, I'm sure).

Two outstanding frames. (Wilson, please make the K88 spec 7-8 pts HL and ~335 sw!)

NoNameZ
03-09-2009, 09:52 PM
i tried, i also failed utterly...didn't like the lack of plow-through

Winners or Errors
03-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Still trying.

Lots of advantages, like the ability to hit late, hit with lots of spin, get the racquet to balls late in matches, swing more aggressively.

Disadvantages, like having to swing more aggressively nearly all the time, getting into the bad habit of hitting my forehand only with spin (really, I think this will come around, but it's annoying, because it comes and goes), instability at the net against hard hitting opponents, and being string sensitive. With my particular light frame, it has taken me months to find the right string and tension; even poly hybrids seem hard on my arm.

Long story short, balance is still the crucial component for me and I'm looking at head-light sticks. Currently experimenting with Wilson K95 18x20, Babolat PS Limited, and Wilson KPro Tour. Even with lighter weight, I have found that a balance less than 7 points headlight makes the racquet feel sluggish to me.

lawlitssoo1n
03-10-2009, 06:04 AM
ncode 90 --> kblade tour

fuzz nation
03-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Still trying.

Lots of advantages, like the ability to hit late, hit with lots of spin, get the racquet to balls late in matches, swing more aggressively.

Disadvantages, like having to swing more aggressively nearly all the time, getting into the bad habit of hitting my forehand only with spin (really, I think this will come around, but it's annoying, because it comes and goes), instability at the net against hard hitting opponents, and being string sensitive. With my particular light frame, it has taken me months to find the right string and tension; even poly hybrids seem hard on my arm.

Long story short, balance is still the crucial component for me and I'm looking at head-light sticks. Currently experimenting with Wilson K95 18x20, Babolat PS Limited, and Wilson KPro Tour. Even with lighter weight, I have found that a balance less than 7 points headlight makes the racquet feel sluggish to me.

I was honestly mystified for a while when I tried out some lighter racquets, but had trouble swinging them well. I mean... they were lighter! Turned out that I could put up with maybe a couple of points less headlight balance in a slightly less hefty racquet, but without that familiar weight distribution, I was lost.

Especially up at net, a light-ish frame with an only mildly headlight balance could make me almost wonder if I'd suffered some brain damage or something - couldn't make the durn thang work! Serving? Pass the safety goggles! Change the balance a good bit and suddenly the contact point (for me) is significantly different.

Winners or Errors
03-10-2009, 07:52 AM
I was honestly mystified for a while when I tried out some lighter racquets, but had trouble swinging them well. I mean... they were lighter! Turned out that I could put up with maybe a couple of points less headlight balance in a slightly less hefty racquet, but without that familiar weight distribution, I was lost.

Especially up at net, a light-ish frame with an only mildly headlight balance could make me almost wonder if I'd suffered some brain damage or something - couldn't make the durn thang work! Serving? Pass the safety goggles! Change the balance a good bit and suddenly the contact point (for me) is significantly different.

Thank you. I did honestly consider that I might be going insane. ;) Nice to see someone else having the same experience.

netman
03-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Lots of good input here. I've gone down as low as 10 oz (Prince TT Hornet). Once I got use to it I found I could serve and hit groundstrokes just as well as with my 12 oz frames. But what was lost was the ability to slice and underspin with touch and precision, as well as the ability to volley with precision. I think that was all due to loss of mass and the resulting plow-through effect and the much higher stiffness required to keep a 10 oz racquet from playing like a wet noodle.

Much, much happier back at 12 oz.

dcheung
03-10-2009, 09:20 PM
As aging started to show effects on my knees and elbow, 365g of ps85, 88, 90s seem to be a log during a rally. For a period of time have to switch to real light weight racquets, only 2 still remain in my bag for off days, the Ntour and Dunlop AG 300 16x18. many are just as NoNameZ mentioned 'lacked of plough-through'. End up have a bit of lead here and there to bring the swing weight up a bit, but still light weight to me.

FuriousYellow
03-11-2009, 01:49 PM
I've been demoing frames in the low 11oz range the past month (KBlade 98, KPro Tour, EXO-3 Graphite MP, AG 300 4D, Adidast Barricade Tour Light) and have decided to switch full-time to the Prince TT Warrior.

I didn't feel as if I was losing anything by playing with a lighter frame. The pace and stability I'd grown accustomed to with n6.1 95 are still there.

We'll see how it goes over the long term, but I'm holding on to my Wilsons.

morten
03-11-2009, 02:31 PM
I have added lots of lead to my warrior now to see how it goes.. I was not happy with it stock(LOL) i am at 347grams now, have not tried it leaded yet. It felt ok stock first, but too flimsy and light against good opponents..

bertrevert
03-11-2009, 04:12 PM
MW200G @ 360 grams was great so long as I played social doubles - it delivered the killer blow.

But in singles, hitting more rally shots, I tired.

Now happy with 320 grams - maximum.

Transition was permanent. No problems.