PDA

View Full Version : The Wawrinka backhand

sureshs
03-09-2009, 09:31 AM
I really love Stan's one handed backhand. He doesn't run around it, like Federer does. The result in a nice game, evenly balanced between forehand and backhand. The choice of his backhand strokes (top vs slice, DTL vs crosscourt) seems to match exactly what I do. He is what I would call a very balanced all-round 1 handed backhand player.

GPB
03-09-2009, 09:33 AM
I fully agree.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
03-09-2009, 09:37 AM
I love to see someone hit a great backhand whatever spin, slice, etc. applied to it instead of running around to hit a forehand. Sometimes its great to change up and run around, but overall I think it can be more advantageous to develop a great backhand you hit when it comes to the backhand side of the court. Just a preference, but yes it seems more balanced all-around.

sureshs
03-09-2009, 09:43 AM
What I like about him is that he is not afraid of the backhand. I cringe when I see a ball to Fed's BH. He will either hit a weak slice or go for an unbelievable shot or run around it. Wawrinka does not run around it, does not slice unnecessarily, and does not attempt far-out shots. He just faces it just like he does a forehand ball. It took me a while to not press the panic button on a BH ball, so I realize how great he is to be able to pull this off at the pro level with a 1 hander. While Fed and Flake err Blake have occasionally great 1 handers but which are prone to breakdown, Stan is solid on that wing. Nothing flashy, just rock solid.

saram
03-09-2009, 09:48 AM
I agree that Stan has a great well-rounded game. He is one of those players I really like to watch when they are on the court. His backhand is worthy of a thread--that's for sure.

sureshs
03-09-2009, 09:50 AM
His backhand is worthy of a thread--that's for sure.

Then it must be:

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/149/comicbookguybestthreadedn6.jpg

RalphNYC
03-09-2009, 10:22 AM
I was watching his Davis Cup match against Roddick. I wasn't thrilled with his BH. It's solid but not really a weapon. I too cringe when Fed hits his BH, but he can be more punishing with it than Stan I think.

sureshs
03-09-2009, 10:29 AM
I was watching his Davis Cup match against Roddick. I wasn't thrilled with his BH. It's solid but not really a weapon. I too cringe when Fed hits his BH, but he can be more punishing with it than Stan I think.

In fact, it was the Sunday match that had me noticing Stan's game again. As you say, his BH is not a weapon. Fed and Blake can do more with it when it is clicking. But Wawrinka can maintain a certain level all the time.

RalphNYC
03-09-2009, 10:33 AM
True, he is more consistent with it.

alfa164164
03-09-2009, 10:51 AM
I was at the Davis Cup tie on Friday and Sunday and got to enjoy Wawrinka's backhand for both matches. He was actually making more errors on the forehand side against Blake (he hit some really nice DTL backhands on Friday), but IMO hit his forehand better than his backhand against Roddick. REALLY nice backhand variety, could either slice, drive, or top it. Also has an excellent backhand chip return that stays really low, many times with good depth. Very impressive player to watch live. A shame Federer didn't show up, they most likely would have sent the US packing.
To the point of the earlier post, I agree he is evenly balanced and dangerous on both sides. He's also got a big first serve.

tintin
03-09-2009, 11:37 AM
he's got a weak forehand and a nice backahdn.Gasquet's is still better
too bad Federer wasn't feeling well enough to take down Roddick;)

sureshs
03-09-2009, 11:54 AM
he's got a weak forehand and a nice backahdn.Gasquet's is still better
too bad Federer wasn't feeling well enough to take down Roddick;)

Oh Federer was feeling great. His back pain is like his mono - as Peter Bodo pointed out, it is leaked out after a loss but before people forget, and is "retroactive" in effect as it supposedly started way before the loss. Too bad people are falling for the same ploy twice.

Federer just doesn't want to travel to play stupid matches no one cares about. He doesn't need the money his government will give him. And I bet the other Swiss players are happy because they got a chance to play. Federer was never one to glorify the Davis Cup, regardless of what the oldies say about patriotism and team spirit. The oldies themselves say it should be held once in 4 years, and the present format is meaningless. And tennis was never a team sport as it is played only one/two people at a time. Just having a bunch of noisy fans around doesn't do it for top players like Fed.

Lefty5
03-09-2009, 12:05 PM
i was at the davis cup and saw the Wawrinka backhand in action. I was partying and a little distracted but it seemed like it was awful when he had to generate his own pace but deadly when on the run or hitting a defensive shot. All I could think of is how much a liability one Handed Backhands are after seeing Stan and Blake dump repeated 2nd serve backhand returns in the net.

sureshs
03-09-2009, 12:12 PM
i was at the davis cup and saw the Wawrinka backhand in action. I was partying and a little distracted but it seemed like it was awful when he had to generate his own pace but deadly when on the run or hitting a defensive shot. All I could think of is how much a liability one Handed Backhands are after seeing Stan and Blake dump repeated 2nd serve backhand returns in the net.

Ties in with the reason John Isner once gave for using a 2-hander - better service returns.

But I didn't see Stan dump many returns into the net. Maybe it was only Blake? Blake goes for an aggressive DTL or UTL drive on a second serve which often lands in the net.

jetlee2k
03-09-2009, 10:43 PM
I really love Stan's one handed backhand. He doesn't run around it, like Federer does. The result in a nice game, evenly balanced between forehand and backhand. The choice of his backhand strokes (top vs slice, DTL vs crosscourt) seems to match exactly what I do. He is what I would call a very balanced all-round 1 handed backhand player.

His forehand is weakness though.. most of the time he hit short or too looping.. He missed some easy shots on the forehand sides under the pressure.. Beautiful backhand but got one of the worse forehand.. If Federer own Stan's backhand, he probably got 20GS by now..

BreakPoint
03-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Oh Federer was feeling great. His back pain is like his mono - as Peter Bodo pointed out, it is leaked out after a loss but before people forget, and is "retroactive" in effect as it supposedly started way before the loss. Too bad people are falling for the same ploy twice.

Federer just doesn't want to travel to play stupid matches no one cares about. He doesn't need the money his government will give him. And I bet the other Swiss players are happy because they got a chance to play. Federer was never one to glorify the Davis Cup, regardless of what the oldies say about patriotism and team spirit. The oldies themselves say it should be held once in 4 years, and the present format is meaningless. And tennis was never a team sport as it is played only one/two people at a time. Just having a bunch of noisy fans around doesn't do it for top players like Fed.
Nothing could be further from the truth. If Federer was never planning to play Davis Cup anyway, why did he commit to it in the first place? And, NO, the other Swiss players were NOT happy that Federer was forced to pull out. I can guarantee that! I'm sure this was a very painful decision for Federer to make to have to withdraw, as this year the Swiss team had a really good and realistic chance of winning the whole Davis Cup. With Wawrinka playing well and Federer/Wawrinka a force to be reckoned with in doubles, the Swiss team had as good of a chance, if not a better chance, as any team of winning the Davis Cup this year.

BreakPoint
03-09-2009, 11:56 PM
His forehand is weakness though.. most of the time he hit short or too looping.. He missed some easy shots on the forehand sides under the pressure.. Beautiful backhand but got one of the worse forehand.. If Federer own Stan's backhand, he probably got 20GS by now..
I didn't notice that. I did see Wawrinka hit some great crosscourt forehands against both Blake and Roddick, though.

sureshs
03-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Nothing could be further from the truth. If Federer was never planning to play Davis Cup anyway, why did he commit to it in the first place?

Didn't he commit before the AO loss? After the loss came the retroactive back pain excuse (as pointed out by Peter Bodo, not me). To make the excuse stick, he would have to pull out of the Davis Cup. And it worked with the people at the Davis Cup believing he was injured and holding up "wish you were here" signs. (Note: I am just saying what Bodo was hinting. Obviously I am not familiar with Fed's back.)

The other reason is that he most likely never wanted to play Davis Cup. He commited to it because of the pressure but knew that he could always pull out later with the right excuse.

matchmaker
03-10-2009, 08:49 AM
On topic, Wawrinka does have a great singlehanded backhand. I think he does not try to hit winners with it all the time because, as mentioned, he does not run around his backhand and thus hits a lot of them. He can't go for a winner every time. It's a great shot and one might wonder how Fed would play with such a backhand. No need to run around it, to be afraid, he could just consistently hit the ball back and wait for an occasion to kill.

sureshs
03-10-2009, 09:12 AM
On topic, Wawrinka does have a great singlehanded backhand. I think he does not try to hit winners with it all the time because, as mentioned, he does not run around his backhand and thus hits a lot of them. He can't go for a winner every time. It's a great shot and one might wonder how Fed would play with such a backhand. No need to run around it, to be afraid, he could just consistently hit the ball back and wait for an occasion to kill.

Fed runs around his backhand to hit winners, or goes for backhand winners, because the stakes are higher when he is playing. Nadal and Djoker are not going to be pressured by the Wawrinka consistent BH. Having said that, I do wish Fed could hit a more consistent BH when he wants to.

sureshs
03-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Wawrinka: the other Swiss meat