PDA

View Full Version : *Hardest shot to hit with midsize racket:

ferrari_827
03-04-2005, 11:08 AM
The one shot that I find is at a disadvantage with a midsize racket is the *return of serve*. And I mean returning 100+mph, heavy serves. Unless you get a good hit on the ball, the return is botched. An 18x20 pattern makes things even more difficult. Maybe one of the reasons you don't see too many Head Prestige mids/PS6.0 85 at higher levels 5.5+, college, or even pro level.
You think Andre Agassi's return of serve would be as good with a midsize ? Nada.

However, the midsize is fine on other shots compared to a midplus. A midsize may even be better on passing shots, serves, hitting for the lines, precision volleys due to the control.

For example, my IPrestige mid is a great server, but takes very good concentration on return of serve. My RDXmid, with a more open string pattern, is easier on return of serve, and my 95-98sq.in. Ti70/80/50 better still.

So I think that as you progress to higher levels of tennis, the shot that could make or break you with a midsize is the return of serve.

Capt. Willie
03-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Just to play Devils advocate, Jimmy Conners had a pretty good return of serve and he used a T2000. :)

louis netman
03-04-2005, 01:35 PM
True, but Jimbo also played guys who were using conventional wooden sticks...

ferrari_827
03-04-2005, 01:36 PM
All I can say it that Jimmy Connors was the only player on the planet who could return huge serves the way he did with the T2000. Most here couldn't (including myself) even hit regular groundstrokes with the T2000, forget about any type of fast serve return.

Pushmaster
03-04-2005, 03:30 PM
True, but Jimbo also played guys who were using conventional wooden sticks...
Good point.

hummer23
03-04-2005, 03:30 PM
groundies are good with my tour 90, as are serves and vollies, the toughest shots to hit, if you arent on your game, are the on the run shots where you just need some punch to get the ball back with any kind of force. if you just mishit it back, and you are playing anyone good, you will be burned. thats where having the extra 5-10 inches is great, because its just margain for error. also serve returns are often mishit more, especially on high kickers to the forhand, and backhand as well if you cant get 2 hands on it, its an awkward shot with very little wiggle room for the ball to land on. to play someone weaker, or an easy hitter, its great to use a mid size frame, but against a good player, and if you arent on the dime, you can get burned pretty badly. just my experience.

spinbalz
03-04-2005, 03:32 PM
A small headsize also doesn't help when you try to launch your racquet in the air (no more hands on the handle) to win a point by making your racquet hit an unreachable ball while you are at the net ; for that kind of shots, I recommand an oversize. :)

hummer23
03-04-2005, 03:35 PM
A small headsize also doesn't help when you try to launch your racquet in the air (no more hands on the handle) to win a point by making your racquet hit an unreachable ball while you are at the net ; for that kind of shots, I recommand an oversize. :)

tell that to safin, remember when he threw his frame, and it hit the ball over the net winning the point! i never saw agassi do that though.

spinbalz
03-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Hummer23, Safin uses a gamma Big Bubba 770 sq. in. headsize under a LM Prestige mid, how didn't you already notice that? And anyway he is a cheater because he wears 3 necklaces that are supposed to bring him luck and fortune, so we can't take in account your exemple, sorry.

And by the way, I did saw Agassi do that, during the sunday pre French Open exhibition/warm up day a few years ago, which is really exceptionnal if you take in account how rarely Agassi come to the net...

SliceServe
03-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Some good points. However what you gain in racquet head size you lose in racquet head speed. For the life of me, I can swing anything bigger than a 98" headsize. I'll take the mis hits over the feeling of swinging a "frying pan" any day of the week. Maybe it's my one handed backhand. I have tried my friend's OS Radical (Black and Yellow), and it felt weird on the forehand as well. I also never felt I could snap through on the serve with an OS. For me 89" (old Head frames) to 93" work the best with an 18 main pattern.

-Slice

GrahamIsSuper
03-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Im playing this entire High School season with Woodies....just to improve everything when I switch back to my (slightly larger) Estusa PBP. It's pretty tough to return serve, but other than that everything is nice.

Another positive: I bought 6 rackets for $0.75 at a local garage sale...if a string breaks, im throwing them away.

hummer23
03-04-2005, 05:10 PM
thats true, i cant serve with oversize frames, ive tried the pig os, and thats was the best of the lot, but still nothing a like a mid in the serve department. you just get more snap as slice noted, and the weight carries into the ball without shock. thats being said, on hard groundies especially those you have to run for, its hard to hit the sweet spot because of course, you arent tossing the ball for yourself. thats where os's come in very handy.

battousai555
03-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Hummer23, what's a pig os? sounds like a good racket. :)

35ft6
03-04-2005, 08:42 PM
True, but Jimbo also played guys who were using conventional wooden sticks... For a while, but then he was still using it when everybody else had switched to graphite.

The reason he could hit with it is because Connors really swung through the ball, almost like a baseball swing. His contact zone was much longer, his timing didn't have to be perfect.

Capt. Willie
03-04-2005, 10:07 PM
True, but Jimbo also played guys who were using conventional wooden sticks... I understand what you are saying but some guys back than, and Rosco Tanner quickly comes to mind, could really bring some heat. I think Tanner could hit a serve just as hard as most of the players today with his little aluminum PDP.

Flatspin
03-06-2005, 05:10 AM
I have hit some of the best returns with the i Prestige mid. Like most of the time ..... I believe it's more an issue of working on the game rather than blaming the frame. However, you are correct that one must be more exact with a "mid" frame ... but that's true on most shots with a mid frame. Mid frames seem to have a common characteristic ..... output = input! No give me's! But no surprises either.

equinox
03-06-2005, 05:29 AM
backhand return of serve.

gustavo33
03-06-2005, 09:48 AM
i had a PD and had a terrible problem returning serves with my FH
now with the i.prestige mid, im getting better and more powerfull returns..
my best return is from the deuce court, down the line with my BH
and nothing changed with the prestige. its harder to get spin on the ball but ill get used to it

Roforot
03-06-2005, 12:15 PM
I don't feel my return of serves suffer due to the racquet head size. In fact, it feels more manueverable and precise.

Professional examples include Hewitt and Federer who return Andy Roddick's serve as well as anyone using 90 sq" racquets; Of course they're also able to hit great amounts of topspin which is harder to do w/ midsized frames.

The biggest problem I see w/ midsized racquets is when you're stretched out of position, it's hard to come over the ball, the only shot I can make in that place is a chip or slice lob. I've noticed that people w/ larger racquets are able to get some good pace and spin even when their feet are from from under them.

I suppose if you're constantly lunging at the returns, the midplus racquets would help.