PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or is Wawrinka

julianoz
03-09-2009, 04:15 PM
The slowest pro (relative to his height/weight) than any other top pro? Seeing him against blake and roddick, he is just incredibly sluggish it looks like. Especially moving forward.

klementine79
03-09-2009, 04:19 PM
I think the nerves were setting in-- felt too much pressure to fill in for federer and carry his team-- he was really tense.

That's not how he usually plays. He is number 16 in the world.

roundiesee
03-09-2009, 05:04 PM
He's a very stylish player with fluid strokes, especially on the backhand, but he does appear to be rather fragile mentally, often choosing the wrong shots to play at the wrong time, often going for too much when it isn't required. Let's hope he will mature mentally as he certainly has the technical skills to be up there with the best of them.

MajinX
03-09-2009, 06:02 PM
He's a very stylish player with fluid strokes, especially on the backhand, but he does appear to be rather fragile mentally, often choosing the wrong shots to play at the wrong time, often going for too much when it isn't required. Let's hope he will mature mentally as he certainly has the technical skills to be up there with the best of them.

technicality is hardly ever the main issue with pros, its all about the mental game and know what to do and when to do it, so its not unusual for stan to be one of these pros himself, altho i dont think he is really that affected by it. 16th in the world is a good place for wawrinka, i dont think he will move much higher or lower than that and 16th is really good.

and i dont think he played sluggishly or at least i didnt notice it, he mighta felt a bit more pressure since i think it is the first time he faced the roddick serve and its not good to face it under the home courts of the states. roddick retired after 2 games the last time they played so thats probably all there is to it. He was having alot of trouble attacking andys service game well.

OhDear
03-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Never seen Wawrinka as a slow player... but if he was looking slow against Roddick, MAN he must have been sluggish.

Beasty54
03-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Never seen Wawrinka as a slow player... but if he was looking slow against Roddick, MAN he must have been sluggish.

Actually if you watched Australia at all Roddick is looking pretty quick.

But doesen't Stan prefer clay? Maybe thats why, his movement doesent suffer as much. It didnt seem to bad to me when you played roddick though.

welcome2petrkordaland
03-09-2009, 10:08 PM
yeah despite stan's great smoothness and fluidity, he looks slow and heavy-footed. and yes, against roddick that doesn't say much for his court mobility.

he could surely drop some weight a la roddick . . . come to think of it, they're two totally different players with a common weakness.

i admit stan's mental toughness and general competitiveness could be improved too, tho. maybe it's a swiss thing to be so cool all the time

tintin
03-10-2009, 10:57 AM
he really needs to go at the net more and he has a decent net game and flatten the forehand a tad too
and yes drop 20 pounds of fat

tahiti
03-11-2009, 08:20 AM
I think Wawrinka has a good future ahead of him. I never perceived him as slow. I'll check harder next time.

NamRanger
03-11-2009, 08:37 AM
He was feeling the pressure. Wawrinka can move; otherwise he wouldn't be so good on clay. The problem was that the speed of the court was really working against him.

tomstennis
03-11-2009, 08:39 AM
He is top 20 guys.....