PDA

View Full Version : Wanting more control and spin with the same frame

court_zone
03-04-2005, 11:23 AM
I am very pleased with my TT Bandit OS, but I feel like I am lacking a bit of control and spin. Would switching to the midplus version enable me to generate more control and spin?

court_zone
03-05-2005, 04:35 AM
Please, any answers to my questions? There are many knowledgable people on here that I know can help me.

127 mph
03-05-2005, 08:16 AM
Could be many, many things. But I will give you 1 suggestion. Try Gamma Ruff. It will give you more control and spin. Hope this helps. TW sells it for around $8 US. I also hope that others don't make gamma ruff the topic here either, let's just help this person.

bee
03-05-2005, 08:20 AM
I play with the Prostaff Original 95 and sometimes the Head Classic Midplus which is just over 100." Here's something I've found to help me with the Prostaff for generating spin. I've added a fair amount of lead tape along the handle and just a little in the thoat and head. This makes it even more head light and gives me a levered feel on ground stokes. It's really nice, but obviously heavy. I think I may be switching away from the Head that I've played with for years. I like the VS gut 17 gauge strings with string savers. I feel the string savers stiffens the gut somewhat and provide more bite and more spin. With this setup you have to really swing hard and through the ball to get good depth. My tension is about 58#.

bee
03-05-2005, 08:24 AM
The midplus may give you more overall control (it's my preferred head size) but I doubt it would give you more spin. But I really prefer the midplus for all court play. It's just not as cumbersome to move around. and more enjoyable to play with in my opinion.

court_zone
03-05-2005, 08:32 AM
Thank you for inputs. If I could get my TT Bandit customized, I would probably have it closer to 100 sq.in then the 95 sq.in. Gamma Ruff looks like the string that would fit more control and spin. How about the Hurricane/VS combo for control and spin?

NoBadMojo
03-05-2005, 12:33 PM
lessons and practice will you gve you more control and spin..lead and strings will most likely not to any significant degree. other than the obvious stringing more tightly for more control.

thejackal
03-05-2005, 12:58 PM
A thinner gauge at a higher tension perhaps? Try Duraflex 18 and go from there.

TommyGun
03-05-2005, 01:23 PM
jackal rules!

You stole my suggestion. I was going to say go thinner (18g) and tighter (10%).

Once again, you are the man jackal, even though you do come from the land of the "Great White North"...

man-walking
03-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Big Banger Timo 18 mains @ mid tension, Rip Control 17L crosses @ mid-high tension

thejackal
03-05-2005, 02:03 PM
jackal rules!

You stole my suggestion. I was going to say go thinner (18g) and tighter (10%).

Once again, you are the man jackal, even though you do come from the land of the "Great White North"...

You got something against Canada? I did live in NJ for 2 years - 2 years i'll never get back ;) .

NoBadMojo
03-05-2005, 02:04 PM
there is another school of thought that says thicker guaged strings promote spin and not thinner. thinner guages strings usually play a bit more crisply and with more touch and feel than their thicker guages counterparts, and often with a bit more power which coud kinda not help your control issue

man-walking
03-05-2005, 02:23 PM
there is another school of thought that says thicker guaged strings promote spin and not thinner. thinner guages strings usually play a bit more crisply and with more touch and feel than their thicker guages counterparts, and often with a bit more power which coud kinda not help your control issue
For this reason I say BB Timo, otherwise go for quite tighter setup with Rip Control full-job...
BB Ace would be another nice choice too.

court_zone
03-06-2005, 11:53 AM
It is not that I feel like I was lacking control and spin before. This is the first time I ever got my TT Bandit OS strung with PSG D 16@67lbs, which is the max. When I was first playing with this frame I always got it strung with synthetic, but for some time now I have had it strung with poly. The shop where I got it strung this time was out of poly/gut combo, which I wanted to try, so I went with the PSG. The differences I feel between the PSG and other strings is the PSG feels very crisp and more feel than others I have tried; with most strung high(I am not sure of which gauge-Prince perfection control, let r' rip, gamma livewire, wilson nxt, and the rest were regular synthetics or I forgot the names). I did not have the crisp feeling and feel with these^ other strings but I was able to generate more spin and control.

127 mph
03-06-2005, 02:44 PM
I have to agree with mojo. In tennis mag Jay Schweind created quite a stir by shattering the old myth. He stated that thicker strings provide more spin I believe that Alex.C (spain) went to use this method.