PDA

View Full Version : RDX 500 Mid pwns!

jamauss
03-09-2009, 10:53 PM
I just wanted to say that the RDX 500 Mid is a great stick! Harryz sold me a brand new one so I strung it up and played a couple of sets with it tonight and, wow, what a pleasant surprise. I found it to be just as nice as the RDS 001 Mid, and possibly a little better. Anyone else play with the RDX 500 Mid for a long time and love it? I'm gonna have to play with it some more to see how much I really like it but so far I'm impressed. It's not replacing my Prestige Mid but it's one of the best 90" Yonex frames I've ever hit with.

jamauss
03-09-2009, 10:53 PM
oh, btw - I strung it up with ALU Power Rough mains at 59 lbs and Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro crosses at 62 lbs. Played great.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
03-09-2009, 11:43 PM
how would you compare it to your prestige? could you write a review on it?

jayserinos99
03-10-2009, 12:08 AM
I didn't use this frame for a long time but I used it for a month or two. I strung it up low with a 17g multi and for the life of me I kept having arm problems. I loved it on serves and volleys but it just killed my arm.

breadstick
03-10-2009, 12:09 AM
I could have got one instead of my PDR in a trade I did.

I'm really tempted to buy one though.

BreakPoint
03-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Yup, I agree. Great racquet. I preferred it over the RDS 001 Mid. Nice flexy feel with the RDX 500 Mid but still very stable in the head.

jamauss
03-10-2009, 12:31 AM
I especially liked it on the 1-handed BH. I was able to knock the ball up the line all night.

jamauss
03-10-2009, 12:35 AM
how would you compare it to your prestige? could you write a review on it?
I don't really feel like writing up a full blown review on it right now but it's a different beast than the Prestige.

Different string pattern (16x18 ), different weight/balance/stiffness.

But the RDX 500 Mid just has a real solid feeling to it. I had no trouble hitting kick serves right into the box from the start. Volleys were pretty sweet. Solid pop on groundies too. All around great feel. The Prestige has a more muted feel to me on just about everything (except maybe for 1st serves) than the RDX 500 does.

BreakPoint
03-10-2009, 02:14 AM
I especially liked it on the 1-handed BH. I was able to knock the ball up the line all night.
Yup, exactly! I hit some of my best DTL 1HBH's with the RDX 500 Mid. One time I hit one and this lady on the next court yelled out - "Man, that was just like Federer!!!". :)

I found drop volleys and overheads to be very good with the RDX 500 Mid also. :)

BreakPoint
03-10-2009, 02:19 AM
I don't really feel like writing up a full blown review on it right now but it's a different beast than the Prestige.

I did a comparative review with the RDX 500 Mid for TW a while ago:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/BREAKP02.html

chrishin
03-10-2009, 11:56 AM
i'm waiting for mine to arrive and can't wait for it.I have a lot of yonex stores around and one of them has really slow turnaround for stock, so visited and they had few new 500s.... with 3/4. anyone want them?

EikelBeiter
03-10-2009, 12:11 PM
great racket, played with it for 3 years

nhatduongchi
03-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Feel very good when hitting the ball because its flexibility, it robs power out of all the strokes but worth it. I bought RDS 001 (on it way) to see if it can improve on the power side or not since it is a bit stiffer without taking away the feeling. If not then I just stick with the RDX and have the RDS for back up.

Elzurdo
03-10-2009, 01:03 PM
I played two years with the RDX500 Mid, it is a very nice frame. I had to add 6 grm (total) at 3 and 9, which improved the racquet's stability and alowed me to serve really big.

I will tell you a secret, there's an even greater frame in the RDX500 line: The RDX-500 HD. Add lead to the head, use thin gauge hybrid at low tension, and you will get the best feeling in a racquet, ever. (And yes, I user Prestige Mid PT-10, PT280 which are similar 18x20 flexi frames).

BreakPoint
03-10-2009, 01:12 PM
I played two years with the RDX500 Mid, it is a very nice frame. I had to add 6 grm (total) at 3 and 9, which improved the racquet's stability and alowed me to serve really big.

I will tell you a secret, there's an even greater frame in the RDX500 line: The RDX-500 HD. Add lead to the head, use thin gauge hybrid at low tension, and you will get the best feeling in a racquet, ever. (And yes, I user Prestige Mid PT-10, PT280 which are similar 18x20 flexi frames).
I disagree. I tried the RDX 500 MP HD and didn't like it at all. It felt completely different from the RDX 500 Mid to me. I preferred the Mid MUCH, MUCH more.

Elzurdo
03-10-2009, 02:29 PM
I disagree. I tried the RDX 500 MP HD and didn't like it at all. It felt completely different from the RDX 500 Mid to me. I preferred the Mid MUCH, MUCH more.

You probably did not configure it right. Anyway, it's a demanding frame for advanced players. I also like the MID a lot, but the HD feels more solid on ground strokes, serves bigger, feels sweeter, and acuracy is pinpoint.

EikelBeiter
03-10-2009, 02:30 PM

I agree, the RDX 500 mid plays softer with a better feel overall

Elzurdo
03-10-2009, 02:46 PM
I agree, the RDX 500 mid plays softer with a better feel overall

Well, it depends on the level of the player I guess... Also, what kind of tennis you play? What surface? I play mostly on clay, and an all court game. Found the RDX500 MID easier for serve and volley, but lucking a bit of power and consistensy on ground strokes. I also agree that, with both frames in stock form, the MID feels better. The story changes when you customize the frames. That's MHO after playing two years with these racquets.

EikelBeiter
03-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Well, it depends on the level of the player I guess... Also, what kind of tennis you play? What surface? I play mostly on clay, and an all court game. Found the RDX500 MID easier for serve and volley, but lucking a bit of power and consistensy on ground strokes. I also agree that, with both frames in stock form, the MID feels better. The story changes when you customize the frames. That's MHO after playing two years with these racquets.

April - october is clay court season here, the rest indoors. But the clay court season is the most important one. I play an agressive baseline game. I definitely liked the Mid a lot for serves and volleys, but also for groundstrokes. But i'd have to agree it lacks a bit of power. I never customized it, played it stock