PDA

View Full Version : Cahill confirmed with Federer

sixone90
03-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Roger Federer has finally played his trump card in the battle to overhaul Rafael Nadal, luring revered Australian coach Darren Cahill to Dubai for trial sessions.
Federer's agent, Tony Godsick, yesterday confirmed Cahill was working with the Swiss right-hander in the Middle East before U.S. hardcourt and European claycourt events.
Cahill, 43, looks sure to take a more permanent role with world No.2 Federer after his resignation last month as Australia's Davis Cup coach because of personal and business reasons.
Cahill's probable involvement with Federer was first raised by the The Advertiser on February 20.
Cahill has known Federer, 27, for 14 years.
The pair often have been linked as the perfect coach-player combination. Now that seems to be a reality.
For five seasons, from 2003 to 2007, Federer was unrivalled as the greatest player in the world, snaring the bulk of his 13 major crowns.
Over a similar period, Cahill had taken Lleyton Hewitt, as the youngest season-ending world No.1, and Andre Agassi, the oldest to regain the No.1 mantle, to the top of the sport.
Godsick's confirmation of the Cahill and Federer partnership burned around the tennis telegraph, breathing fresh life into the Swiss master's attempt to dethrone dominant Spaniard Nadal.
"Yes, the two (Federer and Cahill) have met in Dubai and played a few balls together," Godsick, of International Management Group, said.
"It is a test for both. One cannot yet say whether it will be something long-term. They work together now and see how it works out.
"The two have long had a great respect for each other. It was occasionally discussed. It's a trial. Now that Roger's had a break, anyway, because of his back, the timing was perfect for a test. So Roger's with him and has reported that he's arrived."
Cahill would become Federer's third Australian coach after Peter Carter and Sydney's Tony Roche.
Cahill first watched Federer play in Basle in 1995 when Carter, tragically killed in a South African car accident in 2002, was the future star's formative coach.
"No question, he looked good," Cahill wrote in January, 2007.
"The kid had a fast arm with a strong forehand and a good feel for the ball. He was far from perfect and, to be honest, I thought there was a kid back in Adelaide (Hewitt) who was potentially better."

Vin2
03-10-2009, 02:19 AM
can't wait to see how this will turn out

jelle v
03-10-2009, 02:36 AM
I think it's too little to late.. we shouldn't expect Cahill performing wonders with Federer and we shouldn't expect Federer beating Nadal on a regular basis or even winning the French.

sh@de
03-10-2009, 04:36 AM
nope, but I hope there'll at least be some rivalry from now on... i.e. Fed wins his share of the matches =P

jrod
03-10-2009, 05:07 AM
It will be interesting to see how this turns out. It seems to me that a large part of Roger's problem with Rafa has to do with how their games match up. Clearly Rafa has had the upper hand in this rivalry and will continue to unless Fed changes things up. Many feel that Roger has approached this rivalry with an innate stubborness and belief that his game is good enough as is. Clearly the results of the last 15 months suggest otherwise. While in the first half of 2008 one could have made the argument that Roger's execution was off, the second half of 2008 Roger's issues seemed to be related more to poor strategic decisions (and perhaps reduced confidence) rather than execution alone.

Cahill is a seasoned veteran and really knows the sport and the players. His commentary is often highly insightful and it will be interesting to see if Roger can derive any value from his input. My feeling is Cahill stands a reasonable chance of getting through to Roger given their long history and mutual respect for each another. The question remains as to whether Roger is willing to listen to someone other than himself...

yellowoctopus
03-10-2009, 07:52 AM
...Cahill is a seasoned veteran and really knows the sport and the players. His commentary is often highly insightful and it will be interesting to see if Roger can derive any value from his input. My feeling is Cahill stands a reasonable chance of getting through to Roger given their long history and mutual respect for each another. The question remains as to whether Roger is willing to listen to someone other than himself...

This is very well written; you should have your own commentary section on one of the major sports media :)

Yes, it will be interesting to see how far their mutual respects for each other will contribute to the length of this coaching relationship. I also hope that Federer will have enough patience to wait for the tutelage of Cahill to take its effect, but then again, there isn't that many other choices for him at this stage in his career.

lpicken
03-10-2009, 07:59 AM
I think Cahill can help Roger beat Rafa if Cahill steals Rafa's shoes, NO?

l_gonzalez
03-10-2009, 08:20 AM
...The question remains as to whether Roger is willing to listen to someone other than himself...

You hit the nail on the head there... You can have the best coach in the world but if you're not willing to listen to him, or put in the hard work, then it really doesn't make a difference.

I'm a die-hard Federer fan but i have always got the feeling that Federer thinks he can win on talent alone, it's just a matter of things "clicking" for him and "feeling good". It's like he's unwilling to lower himself to the level of others and make changes and compromises.

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Well, it's a step in the right direction. I don't know how much it can help but Cahill is intelligent enough to give good advice. I'm gutted, I loved Cahill as a commentator, he's lost for me :cry:

sureshs
03-10-2009, 09:22 AM
What Federer really needs a coach for is continued sustenance of his level and motivation. He is not going to improve too much - he just needs to keep what he has got now.

jackson vile
03-10-2009, 10:02 AM
I would like to see him take his diet, weight training, etc to a level that the other players ie Nadal.

If Roger can become healthier, strong, faster, with more stamina, and most of all fix his head.................

It would be like a huricane

matchmaker
03-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Well, finally Roger is getting a coach. He should have done so a long time ago.

This is bound to have a positive influence on his game, if he listens to Cahill.

edberg505
03-10-2009, 10:24 AM
I would like to see him take his diet, weight training, etc to a level that the other players ie Nadal.

If Roger can become healthier, strong, faster, with more stamina, and most of all fix his head.................

That's got to be a joke right? Nadal would be the last person I would listen to as far as diet is concerned. He eats pretty much whatever he wants.

rfprse
03-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Better late than never.... I hope.
He should have done this as soon as Agassi retired.

127mph
03-10-2009, 10:32 AM
lets do it baby, number 14 in paris!

tintin
03-10-2009, 10:54 AM
about darn time.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
03-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Also can't wait to see how this turns out. Was extremely way overdo to have someone as a coach. I don't attribute that to arrogance, but rather seemed just pure stubbornness. Finally he could see where it got him...which is moved down from the top spot among other things. I hope the personalities mesh better this time.

cottontail
03-10-2009, 10:55 AM
"It is a test for both. One cannot yet say whether it will be something long-term. They work together now and see how it works out.
"The two have long had a great respect for each other. It was occasionally discussed. It's a trial. Now that Roger's had a break, anyway, because of his back, the timing was perfect for a test. So Roger's with him and has reported that he's arrived."
So what's new apart from what has been already reported?:confused:

batz
03-10-2009, 11:38 AM

Rafa doesn't do any weight training that I'm aware of.

miniRafa386
03-10-2009, 12:46 PM
i honestly think that cahill isnt going to do much with federers game, however, i think that cahill is going to TOTALLY change federer's mental game and make him mentally tougher. not mentally stronger, but mentally tougher, installing more of a gritty and "never say die" attitude into roger

ezdude1970
03-10-2009, 01:42 PM
i feel that Paul Annacone would have been a better fit, due to the type of game Federer plays. but there is no doubt that federer needs a coach, so good for him. hopefully, we will see some good results by Wimbledon.

OTMPut
03-10-2009, 08:28 PM

I thought Roger was one of the fittest guys on the tour. I do not remember seeing him sweat or breathe hard even after a tough rally, while guys like Andy Murray are panting with tongues out after a rally.

Lendl and Federer Fan
03-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Good decision! :)

Mungo73
03-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Good decision! :)

yeah good decision from Cahill ROFL

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/12/sports/tennis/12federer.html?_r=1&ref=sports

veroniquem
03-11-2009, 12:52 PM
I think Federer should change his agent. "Godsick" doesn't bode well as a name for Federer's future!
I'm just elated that Cahill is gonna remain a commentator as I appreciate him a lot.