PDA

View Full Version : Nadal discusses Federer's emotional breakdown

Pages : [1] 2

vtmike
03-10-2009, 06:28 AM
BENIDORM, Spain (AP)—Top-ranked Rafael Nadal isn’t worried about Roger Federer’s ability to bounce back from an Australian Open defeat that left him in tears during the trophy presentation.

“I don’t think there is too much to analyze. I’m not going to turn the whole thing into a movie just because of a single moment of emotion,” Nadal said Sunday after beating third-ranked Novak Djokovic to help defending champion Spain eliminate Serbia 4-1 in Davis Cup play.

Nadal said the two tennis stars haven’t spoken since that emotional—and slightly awkward—moment following Nadal’s victory last month over the second-ranked Swiss player.

With Rod Laver about to present the cup to Nadal, Federer stood on the court shedding tears after having missed his first chance to equal Pete Sampras’ record 14 Grand Slam singles titles.

“I haven’t spoken with him because I haven’t seen him,” Nadal said.

After Federer choked up at the microphone at the Rod Laver Arena, Nadal told Federer he was the best player in history and that he would catch Sampras’ record. Nadal said he didn’t think his compliments had sounded condescending.

“Could they upset him? I sincerely don’t think so. With all of the titles he’s won over the years and all of those years at No. 1, can you say something else? I don’t think so,” Nadal said. “I believe I’m sincere and in the end we have a sufficiently good relationship that we don’t get upset with each other when things come out in the press. If Federer told me I was the best, I would love it, I would be happy.”

Nadal, who is 5-2 against Federer in championship matches at the majors, ended Federer’s five-year reign at Wimbledon last year. Nadal then overtook Federer for the No. 1 ranking, which he had occupied for a record 237 weeks, before becoming the first Spanish man to win at Australia.

Djokovic also believed Federer would bounce back to challenge Nadal for tennis’ top ranking.

“For Federer it’s a very big task because he’s not used to having somebody else in front of him,” Djokovic said through a translator. “And Rafa is in excellent form so it will be difficult with some of the other players like (Jo-Wilfred) Tsonga, (Andy) Murray and me also challenging.”

http://www.tennis.com/news/news.aspx?id=167906

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 06:29 AM
thanks for the article. I don't know why some people would doubt that nadal was sincere with his words and actions. He could not have been any more sincere.

King of Aces
03-10-2009, 07:03 AM
“I believe I’m sincere and in the end we have a sufficiently good relationship that we don’t get upset with each other when things come out in the press. If Federer told me I was the best, I would love it, I would be happy.”

FEDERER WOULD NEVER SAY THAT. HIS EGO IS JUST TOO BIG...... THIS YEAR NADAL IS CLEARLY THE BEST AND HE DESERVES THE #1 RANKING.

YOU WONT HEAR THAT FROM THE SPORTSMAN OF THE YEAR ROGER FEDERER.

Rexking
03-10-2009, 07:38 AM
FEDERER WOULD NEVER SAY THAT. HIS EGO IS JUST TOO BIG...... THIS YEAR NADAL IS CLEARLY THE BEST AND HE DESERVES THE #1 RANKING.

WRONG. Federer and Nadal have great respect for each other. Federer actually complimented Nadal on many occasions during press about how, "Nadal deserves to win the title", "Nadal deserves to win Wimbledon", "Nadal is the best in the world right now", "Nadal deserves the No.1 ranking"....

So stop trolling King of Aces, be a nice human being like Nadal and Federer.

rafan
03-10-2009, 07:57 AM
WRONG. Federer and Nadal have great respect for each other. Federer actually complimented Nadal on many occasions during press about how, "Nadal deserves to win the title", "Nadal deserves to win Wimbledon", "Nadal is the best in the world right now", "Nadal deserves the No.1 ranking"....

I don't think Rafa beating him is the problem so much as Murray after the few comments made at the AO regarding people who get all the hype yet haven't won a slam yet

miyagi
03-10-2009, 08:00 AM
I dont understand how anyone could question Nadal sincerity on that day? The whole tournament he acted with class crossing the net to hug Vedasco after their match.....

I dont think they are friends but I think they genuinely have a HUGE amount of respect for each other and I thought Nadal's behaviour was impecible.

Federer crying was out of the blue and probably suprised him and I thought he did a job trying to be humble.

To call Roger crying an "emotional breakdown" is a Reach...press people need to chill abit!!

Nadal_Freak
03-10-2009, 08:03 AM
I dont understand how anyone could question Nadal sincerity on that day? The whole tournament he acted with class crossing the net to hug Vedasco after their match.....

I dont think they are friends but I think they genuinely have a HUGE amount of respect for each other and I thought Nadal's behaviour was impecible.

Federer crying was out of the blue and probably suprised him and I thought he did a job trying to be humble.

To call Roger crying an "emotional breakdown" is a Reach...press people need to chill abit!!
True though Nadal is willing to speak to press more about his respect toward Federer. I'm sure deep down Fed must think Nadal is amazing.

miyagi
03-10-2009, 08:14 AM
True though Nadal is willing to speak to press more about his respect toward Federer. I'm sure deep down Fed must think Nadal is amazing.

Seriously dude stop with these comments!!

Can't you understand how you would annoy people with comments like the above?

I'm sure they both admire each other....You dont have to be a Fed fan to see that.

saram
03-10-2009, 08:15 AM

Are you kidding me? When #1, Roger gave more props to Rafa than anyone. Continually remarked as to how much Rafa improved, how hard he works on and off the court and said that if anyone were to claim #1 from Roger--he wanted it to be Rafa in consideration of how long Rafa was at #2.

Once again--your biased/blind-sided distortion of the truth surrounding your hero destroys another thread with biased remarks and comments.

vtmike
03-10-2009, 08:15 AM

I'm sure they both admire each other....You dont have to be a Fed fan to see that.

Are you kidding me? When #1, Roger gave more props to Rafa than anyone. Continually remarked as to how much Rafa improved, how hard he works on and off the court and said that if anyone were to claim #1 from Roger--he wanted it to be Rafa in consideration of how long Rafa was at #2.

Once again--your biased/blind-sided distortion of the truth surrounding your hero destroys another thread with biased remarks and comments.

I was about to say the same thing...you guys beat me to it by a few seconds

vtmike
03-10-2009, 08:25 AM

YOU ARE ANOTHER FORM OF NADAL FREAK... AND YOU DON'T NEED TO TYPE IN BOLD TO GET YOUR POINT ACROSS...SEE HOW ANNOYING THIS IS??

Nadal_Freak
03-10-2009, 08:30 AM

The point is Fed does everything he can to stop from saying how great Nadal is to the press. He wants to be the greatest of all-time obviously and it is crushing for him that Nadal could take that away from him. I guess anything that doesn't praise Fed will annoy people around here. Sensitive fans around here.

Gorecki
03-10-2009, 08:40 AM
YOU ARE ANOTHER FORM OF NADAL FREAK... AND YOU DON'T NEED TO TYPE IN BOLD TO GET YOUR POINT ACROSS...SEE HOW ANNOYING THIS IS??

Mike:

"KICES" (his short name) WANTS TO BE LOVED. SHOW SOME LOVE.

miyagi
03-10-2009, 10:06 AM
The point is Fed does everything he can to stop from saying how great Nadal is to the press. He wants to be the greatest of all-time obviously and it is crushing for him that Nadal could take that away from him. I guess anything that doesn't praise Fed will annoy people around here. Sensitive fans around here.

No he doesn't gosh you are stupid...If Fed says Nadal is great does that make it true? You must be very young indeed.....

Fed wants to be the GOAT just like almost every other player does so anyone who was in Federers shoes would feel as Fed does now (threatened)

I'm not asking you to praise Fed just stop being a d!ck on purpose...

It makes for much better adult threads....

King of Aces
03-10-2009, 10:09 AM
WRONG. Federer and Nadal have great respect for each other. Federer actually complimented Nadal on many occasions during press about how, "Nadal is the best in the world right now", "Nadal deserves the No.1 ranking"....

From what I recall after losing the AO federer said something like:

"Sometimes the best player does not win"

Could you imagine if Nadal ever saud anything like that????

Seriously when has Federer ever said that Nadal is the player in the world ?

Nadal_Freak
03-10-2009, 10:11 AM

That's about as arrogant as a player can be. Serena Williams territory there.

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 10:14 AM
My favorite sentence in this interview is "If Federer told me I was the best, I would love it, I would be happy".
Yeah, that would be nice wouldn't it? :roll: (Poor Rafa can keep dreaming about it!)

Cyan
03-10-2009, 10:15 AM
What I find funny and ironic is that for being so arrogant Fed has such a homely gf. Weird, really.

edmondsm
03-10-2009, 10:17 AM
That's about as arrogant as a player can be. Serena Williams territory there.

Honestly, he's right. Nadal was looking hobbled at the end of the 2nd set and Federer blew it, found a way to lose. I think that's why it hit him so hard emotionally. In the past, Nadal has just beaten him in GS finals. At Wimbledon 08' he came back from 2 sets down, so no sense of choking in that one.

But I really think he feels like he choked at the Aussie this year. The match was there for him to take, and he didn't get it done.

thejoe
03-10-2009, 10:21 AM
My favorite sentence in this interview is "If Federer told me I was the best, I would love it, I would be happy".
Yeah, that would be nice wouldn't it? :roll: (Poor Rafa can keep dreaming about it!)

He has referred to him as "the best player in the world" on countless occasions. You wouldn't have heard it, as you were listening out for comments to take out of context to make him sound like an ***.

miyagi
03-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Honestly, he's right. Nadal was looking hobbled at the end of the 2nd set and Federer blew it, found a way to lose. I think that's why it hit him so hard emotionally. In the past, Nadal has just beaten him in GS finals. At Wimbledon 08' he came back from 2 sets down, so no sense of choking in that one.

But I really think he feels like he choked at the Aussie this year. The match was there for him to take, and he didn't get it done.

You are both taking that out of context, Fed also said *whilst crying* that he did not want to have the last word as Nadal played great and he deserved it....

Fed lost because he got outplayed no way can anyone say that he played better than Nadal in that match....Nadals ability to hold serve after going break points down was immense....

But Fed just couldn't capitalise on ANY of his opportunities....

I doubt he thinks he was the better player he is just upset that he made opportunities to break but never took them.

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 10:23 AM

The match was not there for him to take. Even if Federer had played better in the 5th, there is no guarantee it would have been enough to win, remember Wimbledon? To me Nadal was the favorite in the 5th no matter what, he is tougher both mentally and physically vs Fed (barring injury of course).

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 10:28 AM
He has referred to him as "the best player in the world" on countless occasions. You wouldn't have heard it, as you were listening out for comments to take out of context to make him sound like an ***.
All I know is that after the AO, he said "the best player doesn't always win", OK we get the message... He may have referred to Rafa as "the best player in the world RIGHT NOW", of course he has to as rafa is #1. He never intimated that Rafa coud be the better player overall (between the 2 of them), quite the opposite really. Rafa on the other hand has been saying it plenty of times. It seems to me that the AO would have been the perfect opportunity for Federer to return the favor.

vtmike
03-10-2009, 10:30 AM

Quotes from Federer:

'There was a bit of disappointment but I gave a good fight for almost five years so I'm proud of that, and I think Rafa deserves it this year because he's played consistently well.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,23875489-3162,00.html

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 10:32 AM
What I find funny and ironic is that for being so arrogant Fed has such a homely gf. Weird, really.
Mirka looks very devoted and loyal to him, she 's a nice woman, he should really treasure her.

edmondsm
03-10-2009, 10:32 AM
The match was not there for him to take. Even if Federer had played better in the 5th, there is no guarantee it would have been enough to win, remember Wimbledon? To me Nadal was the favorite in the 5th no matter what, he is tougher both mentally and physically vs Fed (barring injury of course).

I agree. But Federer should have won in four if he was in "closing mode". He really found a way to lose that 3rd set. Nadal looked like he was starting to wilt. Nadal rallied physically and deserves all the credit for being the better player in big moments, namely the 5th set. I think though that he got some help from Federer.

It's not right to say that Federer was the better player. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the reason Federer took this loss so hard is because IMO he had a big hand in why he lost, and Nadal wasn't just "too good" this time.

vtmike
03-10-2009, 10:33 AM
All I know is that after the AO, he said "the best player doesn't always win", OK we get the message... He may have referred to Rafa as "the best player in the world RIGHT NOW", of course he has to as rafa is #1. He never intimated that Rafa coud be the better player overall (between the 2 of them), quite the opposite really. Rafa on the other hand has been saying it plenty of times. It seems to me that the AO would have been the perfect opportunity for Federer to return the favor.

Well that is the truth! I mean why would he say that Nadal is the better overall player than himself??

It would make sense to say that once Nadal reaches 13 Grand Slams, otherwise he really is the best player RIGHT NOW!

On the other hand Nadal has no option but to say that he is one of the greatest of all time because he truly is!

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Quotes from Federer:

'There was a bit of disappointment but I gave a good fight for almost five years so I'm proud of that, and I think Rafa deserves it this year because he's played consistently well.

Fed has praised rafa countless times. Just because he doesn't wear it on his forehead, doesn't mean he doesn't think poorly of nadal or doesn't respect him. Certain people, mostly *********s, seem to ignore all the nice things fed has said about nadal and nitpick on the negative things he has said. However, I do agree that his AO final post conference was just bad and he shouldn't have said it.

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Quotes from Federer:

Yes apparently "playing well" is the best compliment Rafa will ever get from Roger, he also said " he played well" after the AO. To me he played much better than "well" to win Hamburg, RG, Queen's, Wimby, Canada back to back in 2008 and at AO 2009 to win those 2 5 setters back to back and get slams on every surface. I think "VERY well" would not be pushing it and words like remarkable or exceptional would not be out of line either in the circumstances but heck at least "plays well" and "consistent" are not insulting. We can agree on that.

King of Aces
03-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Fed lost because he got outplayed no way can anyone say that he played better than Nadal in that match.

Except for Federer. I still cant believe he said :

"sometimes the better player does not win the match"

Its weird how Federer always gets away with stuff like that. He is regarded as a great sportsman simply because his demeanor is quiet....but if you actually take a look at what he says in typed form you would be blown away.

Federer generally has some sort of reason for losing a match. Its never simply because he was outplayed. He might give "lip service" and say that his opponent deserved to win but then in the next sentence he will come up with some sort of an excuse.

The AO is a prine example of this "Federer double speak". One moment he says Nadal is great and then he says the best player lost the match. Its weird.:confused:

CocaCola
03-10-2009, 10:53 AM
I don't like when Nadal says "Federer is all time best" after he defeat him (Wimbledon, Ao...).
For me that is pure "***-kissing" and I'm sure that Fed is also not so glad to hear that in moment's like that.

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Yes apparently "playing well" is the best compliment Rafa will ever get from Roger, he also said " he played well" after the AO. To me he played much better than "well" to win Hamburg, RG, Queen's, Wimby, Canada back to back in 2008 and at AO 2009 to win those 2 5 setters back to back and get slams on every surface. I think "VERY well" would not be pushing it and words like remarkable or exceptional would not be out of line either in the circumstances but heck at least "plays well" and "consistent" are not insulting. We can agree on that.

Roger has said nicer things about rafa than just "playing well". He has also said some negative things, which apparently you seem to remember well, but don't seem to aknowledge the nicer things roger has said about rafa. I get the feeling whenever roger does say nice things, you ignore it, but when rafa says anything nice about roger (usually the same thing about how he is the best in the history), you probably weep from joy and think about how rafa is an amazing human being.

King of Aces
Certain people, mostly *********s, seem to ignore all the nice things fed has said about nadal and nitpick on the negative things he has said. However, I do agree that his AO final post conference was just bad and he shouldn't have said it.

Why does Federer say negative things about Nadal ?:confused:

DarthFed
Good god...

Im glad i stay away from this place so often...still going on about Rafa and Fed

I need some balance on this forum...were things this bad when Federer was still "king" were there *******s going around like they would jump at the chance to handwash his undies...

I barely see any fedfans anyway, maybe they have lives outside who knows...but all i see are nadal stats, Nadal press interviews, Nadal, Nadal, nadal and if theres a fed thread....sure as hell nadal is in it

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 10:58 AM

Its weird how Federer always gets away with stuff like that. He is regarded as a great sportsman simply because his demeanor is quiet....but if you actually take a look at what he says in typed form you would be blown away.

Federer generally has some sort of reason for losing a match. Its never simply because he was outplayed. He might give "lip service" and say that his opponent deserved to win but then in the next sentence he will come up with some sort of an excuse.

The AO is a prine example of this "Federer double speak". One moment he says Nadal is great and then he says the best player lost the match. Its weird.:confused:

yeah, I understand what you are saying. I really wish he didn't make that comment after the AO final. Nadal was clearly the better player because he won. I'm not trying to justify his comments but I think he was referring to how his level dropped during the 5th set, or something of that sort. Either way he shouldn't have said something like that.

saram
03-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Good god...

Im glad i stay away from this place so often...still going on about Rafa and Fed

I need some balance on this forum...were things this bad when Federer was still "king" were there *******s going around like they would jump at the chance to handwash his undies...

I barely see any fedfans anyway, maybe they have lives outside who knows...but all i see are nadal stats, Nadal press interviews, Nadal, Nadal, nadal and if theres a fed thread....sure as hell nadal is in it

You sure hit that on the head. The Nadal freaks in this forum make it a place I'm starting to ponder not returning to. They pretty much ruin every thread, hijack it, troll, flame, and annoy everyone at any given chance. I hope their mommies and daddies take their computers away from them soon.

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 10:59 AM

How the hell should I know? He gets asked a question and he answers honestly, and maybe to nadal fans, it is seen as a negative comment about nadal.

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Good god...

you could be gone for a few years, and the same discussion would be happening. Its like a soap opera and I admit I'm not helping the situation. I have a feeling after both players retire, the fans will still be at each other's throats.

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Roger has said nicer things about rafa than just "playing well". He has also said some negative things, which apparently you seem to remember well, but don't seem to aknowledge the nicer things roger has said about rafa. I get the feeling whenever roger does say nice things, you ignore it, but when rafa says anything nice about roger (usually the same thing about how he is the best in the history), you probably weep from joy and think about how rafa is an amazing human being.
What did Federer say about Nadal that was very complimentary?

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 11:04 AM

recently or in general?

vtmike
03-10-2009, 11:06 AM

Its called being honest! A concept that is not familiar to *******s because your hero sugarcoats everything and never speaks his mind!

I want to hear him say that Fed is the best player in the history after he loses a Grand Slam final...

DarthFed
03-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Its called being honest! A concept that is not familiar to *******s because your hero sugarcoats everything and never speaks his mind!

I want to hear him say that Fed is the best player in the history after he loses a Grand Slam final...

This is beyond admiration for a hero, if you can call an athlete that,some of the sh1t that i see on this forum is down right disturbing....where are the level headed Nadal fans like Morrisay :-??

I am pleasantly surprised (especially # 3because such a traumatic experience would ruin his career) that the following things haven't happen

1-There isn't a cult around this guy
2-That the population of Majorca hasn't skyrocketed
3-Nadal hasn't been sexually assaulted yet

miyagi
03-10-2009, 11:14 AM

I do know what you mean after wimbledon 2008 it was on UK news some people commenting on how Fed had been unsportsman like with his comments but I prefer to just give him the benefit of the doubt....

It must have hurt to lose the final and he probably didnt mean to act and say the things he did.

I dont think there is any need for Nadal Freak and co to crucify him at every opportunity...

Fed isn't that bad I'm sure if he really wanted to be a d!ck he could be.....

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 11:25 AM

'I knew really that the chance (to regain top spot) wasn't there because it was basically up to Rafa to decide if he made it or not,' Federer told reporters after Saturday's semi-final win over Feliciano Lopez at his hometown tournament.

'He's won in Grand Slams, Masters Series and won big titles on all surfaces. He still has the Davis Cup final to come and there's also the Masters Cup in Shanghai.

'If he can win there he will have won one of the big indoors so he's done a complete year.'

I think he is aware of the amazing year rafa had in 2008 and all that he accomplished. Oh and if you bothered to read the article that vtmike posted, you would see that roger says more than just "he played well".

Nadal_Freak
03-10-2009, 11:29 AM

It wouldn't even be that close if Verdasco didn't force Nadal to play for 5 hours and 14 minutes. That is not honest of Federer as he knows Nadal could've won easier and look at the records in their match up. The better player indeed won.

bolo
03-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Well that is the truth! I mean why would he say that Nadal is the better overall player than himself??

It would make sense to say that once Nadal reaches 13 Grand Slams, otherwise he really is the best player RIGHT NOW!

On the other hand Nadal has no option but to say that he is one of the greatest of all time because he truly is!

Don't make it so complicated vtmike, the fact is that nadal is the favorite in most matches these days. That is what it means to be the "best player in the world right now": you are the favorite, going into a random match you are expected to win. Don't let the fed. fanboyism confuse you.

DarthFed
03-10-2009, 11:30 AM
It wouldn't even be that close if Verdasco didn't force Nadal to play for 5 hours and 14 minutes. That is not honest of Federer as he knows Nadal could've won easier and look at the records in their match up. The better player indeed won.

One tough match after coasting to the semi :roll:

Nadal_Freak
03-10-2009, 11:33 AM
One marathon. Probably the most physical match of all-time. At least the most physical on hardcourts.

bolo
03-10-2009, 11:35 AM

obviously the easy early matches helped. But most ex pros (wilander, cash, cahill, wilander) expected repercussions from the verdasco match. You have to believe they are in a good position to judge these sorts of things.

But that wouldn't have taken anything away from federer if federer had won. Obviously it's only nadal's problem that it takes him 5 hours to beat verdasco on a hard court.

DarthFed
03-10-2009, 11:38 AM
One marathon. Probably the most physical match of all-time. At least the most physical on hardcourts.

Yes after coasting to Semis

You *******s are good at planning out these things

Since he wins, it is miraculous that he beat the odds after such a touch semi

If he lost, you would have had a way to discredit Roger's victory

bolo
03-10-2009, 11:40 AM

Allready happened. After nadal lost wimbledon 2007 he said fed. is the best player in the history. He has a good sense of who he is dealing with.

DarthFed
03-10-2009, 11:42 AM
obviously the easy early matches helped. But most ex pros (wilander, cash, cahill, wilander) expected repercussions from the verdasco match. You have to believe they are in a good position to judge these sorts of things.

But that wouldn't have taken anything away from federer if federer had won. Obviously it's only nadal's problem that it takes him 5 hours to beat verdasco on a hard court.

i know the semi would have reprocussions, but ts annoying that it's brought up so damn often in regards to this match

Someone brought up Edbergs impressive run at a slam..don't remember whcih but im sure it was the AO, it was more impressive than Nadals

bolo
03-10-2009, 11:46 AM
i know the semi would have reprocussions, but ts annoying that it's brought up so damn often in regards to this match

Someone brought up Edbergs impressive run at a slam..don't remember whcih but im sure it was the AO, it was more impressive than Nadals

It's brought up because it's useful in thinking about who was going to win the match; because it might explain some of the things that were happening during the match.

Yes edberg's run was also impressive and going in to the 92 final it would have also been reasonable to expect that edberg's chances of winning were lower because he played 2(3?) five setters previously.

nikdom
03-10-2009, 11:46 AM

Can you post a link to the entire interview? I'd like to see if Roger said this, what was the context of his statement.

Cyan
03-10-2009, 11:50 AM

I'm sure whatever it was that Federer said it was done in private:shock::):twisted:

Cyan
03-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Mirka looks very devoted and loyal to him, she 's a nice woman, he should really treasure her.

Sure. If she REALLY is his gf and not a beard like many think....:shock:

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Sure. If she REALLY is his gf and not a beard like many think....:shock:
That's quite possible but even as a beard she would be loyal and devoted, so worth keeping!

Cyan
03-10-2009, 11:59 AM
That's quite possible but even as a beard she would be loyal and devoted, so worth keeping!

Beards are supposed to be loyal and devoted. Just ask Katie Holmes....

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 12:00 PM
It's brought up because it's useful in thinking about who was going to win the match; because it might explain some of the things that were happening during the match.

Yes edberg's run was also impressive and going in to the 92 final it would have also been reasonable to expect that edberg's chances of winning were lower because he played 2(3?) five setters previously.
Can you expand the "explains things happening during the match" idea? It's interesting.

saram
03-10-2009, 12:01 PM
^^You girls need to get a life and hobby outside of bashing Roger and Mirka. I mean really--are you girls out of high school yet? This thread has nothing to do with Mirka--yet you ladies bring her in here time and time again.

I'm sure there are chat rooms where you could constantly drool over Rafa and bash Roger/Mirka all you want. Please go there soon.

And, please leave this forum for tennis conversation-not trolling and bashing of people.

Nadal_Freak
03-10-2009, 12:05 PM
^^You girls need to get a life and hobby outside of bashing Roger and Mirka. I mean really--are you girls out of high school yet? This thread has nothing to do with Mirka--yet you ladies bring her in here time and time again.

I'm sure there are chat rooms where you could constantly drool over Rafa and bash Roger/Mirka all you want. Please go there soon.

And, please leave this forum for tennis conversation-not trolling and bashing of people.
Fed needs to realize there are consequences for what he says. Being honest as some of you *******s are saying can get you in trouble.

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Longest match at AO but mostly it was the mental and physical intensity, general competitivity and constant high level of it that made it so extraordinary.

bolo
03-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Can you expand the "explains things happening during the match" idea? It's interesting.

Imo nadal missed more passing shots than usual against Fed. in the AO final because he was tired from the verdasco match. Just an opinion, it can just as easily be because nadal had an off day and it had nothing to do with the verdasco match.

DarthFed
03-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Fed needs to realize there are consequences for what he says. Being honest as some of you *******s are saying can get you in trouble.

This is my main ****ing issue, this right here...consequences? don't make me laugh what are you going to go to Feds place and kick his *** because he doesn't kiss Rafa's ass?

What kind of trouble? what we on this forum say is 100% irrelevant to fed...rafa hell any player

Who do you think you are announcing these consequences as if you have some sort of god given jurisdiction over what the guy says and does.

Longest match at AO but mostly it was the mental and physical intensity, general competitivity and constant high level of it that made it so extraordinary

I guess i can agree to that

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 12:31 PM
This is beyond admiration for a hero, if you can call an athlete that,some of the sh1t that i see on this forum is down right disturbing....where are the level headed Nadal fans like Morrisay :-??

I am pleasantly surprised (especially # 3because such a traumatic experience would ruin his career) that the following things haven't happen

1-There isn't a cult around this guy
2-That the population of Majorca hasn't skyrocketed
3-Nadal hasn't been sexually assaulted yet
He's been kissed in an airport against his will. Does that count as #3? :)

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 12:36 PM
He's been kissed in an airport against his will. Does that count as #3? :)

haha, I saw the picture. Poor guy. Although, if you were ever that close to nadal, tell me you would not do the same thing or atleast thing about it.

DarthFed
03-10-2009, 12:42 PM
omg that happened? but thats not too bad, but i was talking about full blown assault, as in things Xisca wouldn't approve of

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 12:43 PM
'I knew really that the chance (to regain top spot) wasn't there because it was basically up to Rafa to decide if he made it or not,' Federer told reporters after Saturday's semi-final win over Feliciano Lopez at his hometown tournament.

'He's won in Grand Slams, Masters Series and won big titles on all surfaces. He still has the Davis Cup final to come and there's also the Masters Cup in Shanghai.

'If he can win there he will have won one of the big indoors so he's done a complete year.'

I think he is aware of the amazing year rafa had in 2008 and all that he accomplished. Oh and if you bothered to read the article that vtmike posted, you would see that roger says more than just "he played well".
"If he can win there...he's done a complete year"
Did that mean that if Nadal DIDN'T win the TMC, his year would not be "complete"? :shock: Why do so many supposed compliments from Fed actually sound like piques? (ie "remember that unlike me Nadal has never won TMC", that is a cheap shot, not a praise!)

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 12:46 PM
haha, I saw the picture. Poor guy. Although, if you were ever that close to nadal, tell me you would not do the same thing or atleast thing about it.
I may even do worse, who knows? :oops: :lol:

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 12:49 PM
omg that happened? but thats not too bad, but i was talking about full blown assault, as in things Xisca wouldn't approve of
Would she approve of a stranger kissing Nadal twice in an airport? I'm not so sure :lol:

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 12:51 PM
"If he can win there...he's done a complete year"
Did that mean that if Nadal DIDN'T win the TMC, his year would not be "complete"? :shock: Why do so many supposed compliments from Fed actually sound like piques? (ie "remember that unlike me Nadal has never won TMC", that is a cheap shot, not a praise!)

why can't you just take his comment like a normal comment? Why do you have to twist everything he says to make it sound so negative. All he said was that if he can win the tmc, it would be complete. It doesn't mean that he things rafa's year would be imcomplete at all without the tmc. What do you mean by supposed compliment btw? Would it be better if federer stamped it on his forehead that rafa is amazing? Is that good enough for you? His "supposed comments" only sound like piques to you because you look for some sort of hidden message behind his comments. Its not enough that he said something nice, because the idea of roger actually being nice is impossible to believe even though so many of his peers, who know more than you ever will about him, think he is. I used to think you were one of the rafa fans who I could have a rational discussion with, but guess not.

tahiti
03-10-2009, 12:51 PM
http://www.australianopentv.com/page/InterviewsandFeatures/0,,12594~1541663,00.html
video interview, after rolex ad etc. You'll hear Rafa respectfully praise Federer & comment on Roger's tears. Fed's interview is cut short.

This is the transcribed interview Roger AO 2009. Very little praise of Rafa I'm afraid. But the line in question raises questions and is seemingly a press printing error. Surely he said "not UNusually" quote:

ROGER FEDERER: Tough like many other guys. You know, in a fifth set, anything can happen. That's the problem. Not usually the better player always wins. Just a matter of momentum sometimes.

http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2009-02-01/h.php

And for interest's sake and the mono threads.

Transcribed interview Federer SF 2008. He says he "gave 100%" but it can't always go his way. He attributed his loss not to the virus but to the good play of Djoko. He talks of the surface also maybe being "quicker"

http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2008-01-25/h.php

I like Roger and have often defended him but I still don't feel he has offered sufficient praise to Rafa, considering what Rafa has accomplished or the kindness and respect Rafa has always demonstrated.

tahiti
03-10-2009, 12:55 PM

Saram, lighten up! Where's your sense of humour, people can joke you know.:) Don't take everything so seriously!

doublebreak
03-10-2009, 12:56 PM

I still haven't seen a source for that comment but would not surprise me. One thing is for sure, he could not have meant he played better on that match, the winner of a match is always better in that sense.

After the AO final Toni Nadal said the following:

"The greatest of all is Rod Laver, after that the best is Federer," Toni Nadal told French reporters. "Federer is better than Rafa, better than any player. Rafa is a good player, winning this trophy and five other [Slams]. But there is still a big gap."

source: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/aus09/columns/story?columnist=tandon_kamakshi&id=3876885

My guess is that he was talking in the same sense as Toni Nadal, defining the better player based on the overall achievements of their careers.

I agree that Federer got a free pass in the past on some of his arrogant comments, but I don't think that is the case anymore, if anything, I thing it has gone in the opposite direction. Many people see him as as somewhat of a sore looser and I just think those are the realities of life, when you are at the top everything is easier.

I don't know any pro player personally, but based on what I've read and seen on tv it looks like Nadal is a great person, humble, centered, down to earth. While Federer might look not so good when you compare him to Nadal is that department, by no means, he is a horrible guy like some may say. I guess his competitive spirit takes over sometimes but compared to other people (McEnroe, Connors), he's mother Theresa.

Lastly, I try no to judge because I think it is too soon. Federer is 5 years older than Nadal and he is facing the nature of life. As you get older there's someone who is younger and stronger that wants to take your place. Before you compare both of their characters we have to wait and see how success affects, if at all, Nadal. Also, how Nadal will handle himself when his abilities start to decline and he has to step aside for the younger kids. Only then, you can make a judgment.

tahiti
03-10-2009, 01:03 PM

What a silly comment. I should oblige. "Please vtmike, when addressing my hero, refer to him as the World no. 1" Please be reminded that smarties are sugar coated and the World no. 1's word are laced in delicacy, diplomacy and tact. Now that's what I call class. :)

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 01:04 PM
why can't you just take his comment like a normal comment? Why do you have to twist everything he says to make it sound so negative. All he said was that if he can win the tmc, it would be complete. It doesn't mean that he things rafa's year would be imcomplete at all without the tmc. What do you mean by supposed compliment btw? Would it be better if federer stamped it on his forehead that rafa is amazing? Is that good enough for you? His "supposed comments" only sound like piques to you because you look for some sort of hidden message behind his comments. Its not enough that he said something nice, because the idea of roger actually being nice is impossible to believe even though so many of his peers, who know more than you ever will about him, think he is. I used to think you were one of the rafa fans who I could have a rational discussion with, but guess not.
The thing is Federer does it often (double edged kind of compliment). Bringing up the TMC in the context of praising Nadal for his achievements in 2008 cannot be seen as "innocent". We all know that the TMC has never been Nadal's forte (only place with Cincinnati where Nadal has never reached the final) . We also know that it's the only place where Federer has beaten Nadal twice with great ease. Do you feel Federer isn't aware of that? I think you're wrong.

King of Aces
03-10-2009, 01:07 PM
I still haven't seen a source for that comment but would not surprise me. One thing is for sure, he could not have meant he played better on that match, the winner of a match is always better in that sense.

"Not usually the better player always wins you know, defeat the guy. It is just a matter of momentum. You know, I definitely played a terrible fifth set, so I kind of handed it over to him." Roger Federer http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/02/2480322.htm

I swear I dont know how Roger gets away with this stuff. It mst be his demeanor???....but again if you actually just look at what he really is saying instead of listening to his soft silky tone you would be blown away.

He is really not quite as nice as he seems to be.

tahiti
03-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Now that is a pragmatic reply Double break.

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 01:09 PM
The thing is Federer does it often (double edged kind of compliment). Bringing up the TMC in the context of praising Nadal for his achievements in 2008 cannot be seen as "innocent". We all know that the TMC has never been Nadal's forte. We also know that it's the only place where Federer has beaten Nadal twice with great ease. Do you feel Federer isn't aware of that? I think you're wrong.

WOW! Okay, what ever makes you sleep at night. I guess it doesn't matter what fed says, people who look closely enough and want to, will find something negative about it. Btw, you make it seem like its fact that his comment "cannot" be seen as innocent. I hate to break it to you, but thats just your opinion, one that is obviously filled with dislike for federer and blind love for nadal.

tahiti
03-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Can someone please tell me what TMC is? They should have a thread here for starters to learn abbreviations and political history of all the ***** as a warning.

doublebreak
03-10-2009, 01:11 PM
... But the line in question raises questions and is seemingly a press printing error. Surely he said "not UNusually" quote:

ROGER FEDERER: Tough like many other guys. You know, in a fifth set, anything can happen. That's the problem. Not usually the better player always wins. Just a matter of momentum sometimes.

http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2009-02-01/h.php

Thanks. I'm not sure it is a misprint. I guess he meant: "Not always the better player wins". In my view he's talking in general about how a 5th set is all about determination and not about tennis. That is common knowledge among players. Once you get to a 5th, all bet are off, there are no favorites.

DarthFed
03-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Can someone please tell me what TMC is? They should have a thread here for starters to learn abbreviations and political history of all the ***** as a warning.

The Masters Cup i assume, i could be wrong

Thanks. I'm not sure it is a misprint. I guess he meant: "Not always the better player wins". In my view he's talking in general about how a 5th set is all about determination and not about tennis. That is common knowledge among players. Once you get to a 5th, all bet are off, there are no favorites.

Pretty much...look at say...nalbandian Lu in the AO, we ALL know Nalby is the better play and we all know who won that match

Not saying Fed is better...because that would start riots :roll:

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 01:16 PM
The Master Cup. (We generally say TMC because MC could be confused with Monte-Carlo)

fgzhu88
03-10-2009, 01:18 PM

that's just the thing, he's not an arrogant ******bag who goes around with random tramps like all the other pros.

He sticks with a good friend with whom he shares a humble beginning.

I don't get how you get "arrogant" from commitment

DarthFed
03-10-2009, 01:22 PM
that's just the thing, he's not an arrogant ******bag who goes around with random tramps like all the other pros.

He sticks with a good friend with whom he shares a humble beginning.

I don't get how you get "arrogant" from commitment

Not all the pros are with random tramps (if any) Nadal has been with his woman for a while or so i've been told

This is one category fed and rafa will never beat ROddick in, because Brooklyn Decker is hot

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 01:24 PM
WOW! Okay, what ever makes you sleep at night. I guess it doesn't matter what fed says, people who look closely enough and want to, will find something negative about it. Btw, you make it seem like its fact that his comment "cannot" be seen as innocent. I hate to break it to you, but thats just your opinion, one that is obviously filled with dislike for federer and blind love for nadal.
Once again (and I guess I'll leave it at that) it cannot be a complimentary effort to bring in a conversation about your rival's achievements one of the rare tournaments where you have been dominating him greatly and where he has fared less well than usual. It's not a crime either but it's definitely and clearly backhanded.

Cup8489
03-10-2009, 01:24 PM
"Not usually the better player always wins you know, defeat the guy. It is just a matter of momentum. You know, I definitely played a terrible fifth set, so I kind of handed it over to him." Roger Federer http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/02/2480322.htm

I swear I dont know how Roger gets away with this stuff. It mst be his demeanor???....but again if you actually just look at what he really is saying instead of listening to his soft silky tone you would be blown away.

did you watch the final? federer's playing level definitely dropped off after he won the 4th set; nadal didnt have to raise his level, and it didnt fall, so he won. but federer could have, and should have been able to at least maintain his level.

so yeah, he kinda handed it over. but it's not like nadal didnt work for it, or federer didnt try. he just almost gave up, like he though nadal was gonna win anyway, so why try.

Nadal_Freak and the girls are ok to talk to for the most part unless they get uber annoying, but at least they know something. you're just ignorant and think your opinion means something.

tahiti
03-10-2009, 01:26 PM

Ah.. Shanghai, thanks guys. London this year. So yeah the TMC

Federer's English is too good to have such a mix up of word order. I think he's saying, "not unusually, the better player wins: ie. It's common that the better person "that day" wins and that yes, momentum ebbs and flows, but of course, one can be unlucky too.

King of Aces
03-10-2009, 01:32 PM

Federer's English is too good to have such a mix up of word order. I think he's saying, "not unusually, the better player wins: ie. It's common that the better person "that day" wins and that yes, momentum ebbs and flows, but of course, one can be unlucky too.

Plus he also said:

"I definitely played a terrible fifth set, so I kind of handed it over to him."

How does he get away with this stuff? I mean name any match he loses and you will see that he always says something really screwed up. He never can just simply say : "I was outplayed"....what magic spell does he have??? Its amazing.:confused:

tahiti
03-10-2009, 01:38 PM
But at this tournament Australian 2009, Fed was really messed up, he had to gain composure somehow, poor guy. I feel for him. Like Nadal did. It's only human toch?

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 01:44 PM

I have listened to and watched that interview (not just read it) and it's clear in the context of the statement that he meant "the better player doesn't always win in a 5th set", he said that as a kind of justification for his loss as well as "I handed it to him".

King of Aces
03-10-2009, 01:44 PM
But at this tournament Australian 2009, Fed was really messed up, he had to gain composure somehow, poor guy. I feel for him. Like Nadal did. It's only human toch?

Federers thoughts on the real reason he lost at Wimbledon...he had plenty of time for this response:

"It's rough on me now, obviously, you know, to lose the biggest tournament in the world over maybe a bit of light, you know. " Roger Federer

again How does he get away with this stuff??? Does no one see this??? What magic spell does Roger have?:confused:

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Once again (and I guess I'll leave it at that) it cannot be a complimentary effort to bring in a conversation about your rival's achievements one of the rare tournaments where you have been dominating him greatly and where he has fared less well than usual. It's not a crime either but it's definitely and clearly backhanded.

okay whatever. You're right. His comments were clearly backhanded and he was indirectly taking a dig at nadal. In fact every compliment he has given nadal has been like that. He is an arrogant ******* and is no match for the god of tennis, or nadal to some people, in both tennis and personality.

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Federers thoughts on the real reason he lost at Wimbledon...he had plenty of time for this response:

"It's rough on me now, obviously, you know, to lose the biggest tournament in the world over maybe a bit of light, you know. " Roger Federer

again How does he get away with this stuff??? Does no one see this??? What magic spell does Roger have?:confused:

hmm, yeah bad comment again. However, I don't think he got away with it. People were jumping on him for those comments as well.

not that it really matters but in later interviews, he mentions the wimbledon loss and the the lighting as well, and even though he does mention it, he says something about in the end, nadal just played well.

DarthFed
03-10-2009, 01:50 PM
okay whatever. You're right. His comments were clearly backhanded and he was indirectly taking a dig at nadal. In fact every compliment he has given nadal has been like that. He is an arrogant ******* and is no match for the god of tennis, or nadal to some people, in both tennis and personality.

If i didn't know any better i'd say nadal cured AIDS or something. Seriously, he's just an athlete like everyone else (in the ATP), i hear he still lives at home, he's not the divine tennis deity he is made out to be

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 01:51 PM
That's a little extreme. He's not evil because he gives backhanded compliments but he's not perfect either.

King of Aces
03-10-2009, 01:52 PM
hmm, yeah bad comment again. However, I don't think he got away with it. People were jumping on him for those comments as well.

no one here even seemed to know about it. If nadal said something like that everyone would go NUTS! I was asked to print the source because no one believed me or heard about it.

And now even when I print the exact quote people are saying "well roger really meant this that and the other thing"

Its crazy...i have never seen anything like it. The guy says the meanest things over and over again and everyone just thinks he is the classiest act in the world.

it must be the sound of his voice or something??....but if you read what he says then you will see that he as not quite as nice as he seems to be.

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 01:54 PM
If i didn't know any better i'd say nadal cured AIDS or something. Seriously, he's just an athlete like everyone else (in the ATP), i hear he still lives at home, he's not the divine tennis deity he is made out to be

eh, nothing wrong with that. He is still relatively young and it looks like family is very important to him. However, he is not perfect, no matter what the *********s think or say. No one is perfect for that matter.

tahiti
03-10-2009, 01:57 PM

I quoted earlier that I don't always agree with Federer's comments or lack of compliments. But everyone looks at their world through a different colour pair of glasses. What goes around comes around and maybe once Roger starts praising Rafa to death, and finding himself as the underdog, he might be able to pull himself back up to where "he, himself" wants to be.

DarthFed
03-10-2009, 01:58 PM
eh, nothing wrong with that. He is still relatively young and it looks like family is very important to him. However, he is not perfect, no matter what the *********s think or say. No one is perfect for that matter.

The "he lives at home part" is a testament to how normal a guy he is, even with this fame and success he is still normal; lives at home, loves his ma's cooking, doesn't keep his room clean (i think not sure about that but if it's true me and him can relate). He doesn't sit atop heaven directing angels as some make it seem

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 01:59 PM
no one here even seemed to know about it. If nadal said something like that everyone would go NUTS! I was asked to print the source because no one believed me or heard about it.

And now even when I print the exact quote people are saying "well roger really meant this that and the other thing"

Its crazy...i have never seen anything like it. The guy says the meanest things over and over again and everyone just thinks he is the classiest act in the world.

it must be the sound of his voice or something??....but if you read what he says then you will see that he as not quite as nice as he seems to be.

His comments are the meanest things ever? lol. His peers seem to think he is a nice and classy guy and I think they know more about him that we do. All we really know about him is what we see on tv and what we read, and that is not enough to go by and judge a person's character. That goes for anyone famous.

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 02:00 PM
I've read that he's having a house built in Ibiza.

tahiti
03-10-2009, 02:03 PM

No he's definitely not perfect. But if you read through the TT forum without ever having known of Nadal, one would think he was the trashiest person on this earth. Not from any **** but from the many distasteful comments.

tahiti
03-10-2009, 02:04 PM
I've read that he's having a house built in Ibiza.

Plus he bought his own house last year in Mallorca. Seems strange when you're never home :)

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Plus he bought his own house last year in Mallorca. Seems strange when you're never home :)
I think that one is a family house. The one in Ibiza will be his own. At least that's what I've heard and also that it's an "ecological" house with solar energy and stuff.

King of Aces
03-10-2009, 02:07 PM
His comments are the meanest things ever? lol. His peers seem to think he is a nice and classy guy and I think they know more about him that we do. All we really know about him is what we see on tv and what we read, and that is not enough to go by and judge a person's character. That goes for anyone famous.

I agree everyone thinks so....but if you actually read the things he says you would be blown away. I think he made a deal with the devil and went sent something like this:

" For your soul I agree to make you beat everyone on the face of the planet and you can say whatever you want and everyone will still love you. But you will have one weakness and that is Nadal."

doublebreak
03-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Now that is a pragmatic reply Double break.

mmmh.... thank you :shock:

you're not being sarcastic, are you? :)

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I agree everyone thinks so....but if you actually read the things he says you would be blown away. I think he made a deal with the devil and went sent something like this:

" For your soul I agree to make you beat everyone on the face of the planet and you can say whatever you want and everyone will still love you. But you will have one weakness and that is Nadal."
:lol::lol::lol:. Is that why Federer and Faust start with the same letter?

King of Aces
03-10-2009, 02:14 PM
How does Federer get way with a comment like this...a comment that has actually hurt Rafas reoutation:

"he's one-dimensional, he always plays the same way ." Roger Federer

He just says the meanest things.

veroniquem
03-10-2009, 02:22 PM
How does Federer get way with a comment like this...a comment that has actually hurt Rafas reoutation:

I've always wondered how Nadal never resented him for that one. I guess it gave him an extra incentive to improve! (That's what Murray said when confronted about a similar kind of comment Fed had made about him)

tahiti
03-10-2009, 02:24 PM

Or God said to Federer: "I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger, if you attempt to poison and destroy my Rafa!" So Roger said :" Ok God, I'll lose, but don't expect me to shower him with compliments."

King of Aces
03-10-2009, 02:24 PM
His comments are the meanest things ever? lol. His peers seem to think he is a nice and classy guy .

Not really:

"Roger Federer should concentrate on his own career rather than criticising others." Jelena Jankovic

"To be honest, I do not like to talk about players, I really prefer to focus on myself," Jankovic said in an interview at the Paris open.

She said she could not understand why Federer felt the need to hit out at women's tennis while his great rival Rafa Nadal, who took over from the Swiss as world number one, was so "humble".

"Why should he even care? I don't like putting my nose in other's business.
"I mean, one thing I like about Nadal is that he is such a great champion, he is so humble, always has kind words for everybody, he is a role model for everybody," said Jankovic.

"Federer is a great champion, I don't want to get in a fight with him but why does he care, I really don't understand. Why does he need to do that?"

Federer also led the charge against Jankovic's compatriot Novak Djokovic when he quit because of the heat in his Australian Open quarter-final match against Andy Roddick.

"I'm almost in favour of saying, you know what, if you're not fit enough, just get out of here," the Swiss (Federer) said.

Jankovic said Federer should not criticise fellow players. "I don't think it's nice to attack other players.

tahiti
03-10-2009, 02:25 PM
mmmh.... thank you :shock:

you're not being sarcastic, are you? :)

No of course not. It's a sensible summary.

charliefedererer
03-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Tennis is tough. It's not a team sport where there is someone else who can bare some of the blame of losing. The Australian open final was a five set match that physically and mentally nearly exhausted both players. I thought it was obvious that Federer did not want to be there on the podium as the loser. He had not lost to Nadal at a harcourt major before, and after Nadal's epic match 36 hours before against Verdasco, Federer must have been shocked that it was he, and not Nadal that faultered. To be a great champion you have to believe in yourself, and much of this belief was shattered in this packed stadium and in front of a world wide TV audience. And maybe even more important was that Rod Laver himself, and a whole slew of legends, was there to give him his record tying 14th major trophy. But it had all evaporated in a flash, and here he was in a fishbowl with no where to hide to compose himself, even for five minutes. Considering this, I certainly can not fault Roger for more profusely praising Rafa at that moment. Rafa did not need consoling from Roger; he had just won. And he now in only 6 months had stripped Roger's invulnerability on two different slam surfaces. (And guess who's going to win the next championship in Paris?) Yet it was tremendously good sportsmanship on Nadal's part to be as supportive as he was to Roger. I've followed multiple sports for a long time and have never seen anything like it. It is a tremendous memory to look back on. Not a happy moment. But a unique moment in sports history.

tahiti
03-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Not really:

Jankovic said Federer should not criticise fellow players. "I don't think it's nice to attack other players.

Have to vote for Lady Jankovic here. But King of Aces, what goes around comes around, it's a natural universal law. The things Fed has said have turned around only to hurt himself in the long run. I'm sure he realises it and perhaps this is another reason why he was so devastated at the Australain Open ceremony. He's still a good guy and we should look at the good in people. The world is negative enough don't you think?

doublebreak
03-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Not really:

"Roger Federer should concentrate on his own career rather than criticising others." Jelena Jankovic

"To be honest, I do not like to talk about players, I really prefer to focus on myself," Jankovic said in an interview at the Paris open.

She said ...[/B]

Every quote you showed was made by the same person. I would hardly consider Jankovic to be an accurate representation of Federer's peers. Having said all that, do you really want to follow this path? These issues (Djokovic retiring, #1 ranking without slams) have been discussed to exhaustion in other threads. Why open that can of worms here?

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 03:12 PM

he made that comment a while ago and at the time, I think nadal was one dimensional. It wasn't a bad thing, because he was still a great player, but he did play the same way.

saram
03-10-2009, 03:13 PM

Not a fan of the Fed--my favorite player isn't even in the top 1000...thanks for playing 'trolling at TW' and have a nice day.

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Or God said to Federer: "I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger, if you attempt to poison and destroy my Rafa!" So Roger said :" Ok God, I'll lose, but don't expect me to shower him with compliments."

lol, I like this one. nice

saram
03-10-2009, 03:18 PM

haha--too good :)

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 03:23 PM
I think that one is a family house. The one in Ibiza will be his own. At least that's what I've heard and also that it's an "ecological" house with solar energy and stuff.

wow, thats cool!

The-Champ
03-10-2009, 04:12 PM

a bit of light? Maybe he should have tripple bageled Nadal before it became dark.:)

Anyway...let's give Fed a break. People can say weird stuff when upset. He's human.

The-Champ
03-10-2009, 04:22 PM

Maybe Roger just want to see Rafa incorporate a little flamengco, a bit of ninja moves, some back flips from time to time in his tennis, then he might appreciate him more.

King of Aces
03-10-2009, 05:19 PM
FEDERER ALSO BLAMED THE LIGHTS AT HIS FO LOSS IN 2005:

"Federer offered up an excuse when he lost to Rafael Nadal in the French Open semifinals in 2005, saying he couldn't see the ball as darkness fell, farcically asked the chair umpire to turn off Hawk-Eye during the 2007Wimbledon final, and accused Nadal's coach, uncle Toni Nadal, of illegal coaching ." http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/othersports/354352_ravi10.html

King of Aces
03-10-2009, 05:26 PM
FINALLY NADAL STRIKES BACK AT FEDERER.....FINALLY! ITS ABOUT TIME!:

"He (Federer) has to learn to be a gentleman even when he loses,”

Rafael Nadal .http://www.tennisgrandstand.com/archives/2811

DarthFed
03-10-2009, 05:41 PM
King of aces...you need a freaking life seriously

And for a Raftard your user name is VERY ironic seeing as he barely gets any

tudwell
03-10-2009, 05:43 PM
FINALLY NADAL STRIKES BACK AT FEDERER.....FINALLY! ITS ABOUT TIME!:

"He (Federer) has to learn to be a gentleman even when he loses,”

Rafael Nadal .http://www.tennisgrandstand.com/archives/2811
Finally?? That was back in 06. Also, from the same article, Federer gracious in defeat (after the 06 French Open final):

"The fact that I wasn’t able to pull it off had to do with Nadal. He was impressive coming back after the first set."

VivalaVida
03-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Haha I dont care what federer says of the court. I watch tennis and enjoy watching federer play. The guy is an athlete not a politician that anything he ever says should be used to burn him. With that being said, I never found federer to be arrogant. I agree some of his comments are not nice at all but I always thought that as an athlete he thrived on competition and thats what led him to make those comments.

King of Aces
03-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Finally?? That was back in 06. Also, from the same article, Federer gracious in defeat (after the 06 French Open final):

"The fact that I wasn’t able to pull it off had to do with Nadal. He was impressive coming back after the first set."

correct. thats Rogers thing!! he is the Bill Clinton of tennis. He talks out of both sides...one minute he says something nice and the very next sentence he takes it all away with something mean.

Its tough to cut through his b.s. Clinton was slick willy and Roger is slick Feddy.:-?

VivalaVida
03-10-2009, 06:18 PM
btw I find nadals " Roger, you are still the best" comments to be really ********. he should not mention anything about that topic since he is obviously the best tennis player in the world, better than fed. I dont think it makes him look humble, kinda dull rather.

icedevil0289
03-10-2009, 06:20 PM
correct. thats Rogers thing!! he is the Bill Clinton of tennis. He talks out of both sides...one minute he says something nice and the very next sentence he takes it all away with something mean.

Its tough to cut through his b.s. Clinton was slick willy and Roger is slick Feddy.:-?

hmm, and yet many people like myself, like both bill clinton and roger. I guess we're all naive.

this is completely off topic and I apologize, but king of aces, any update on the club in vegas, sorry forgot the name, that you made a thread about? I really enjoyed reading about all the pros' practice time there.

King of Aces
03-10-2009, 06:20 PM
btw I find nadals " Roger, you are still the best" comments to be really ********. he should not mention anything about that topic since he is obviously the best tennis player in the world, better than fed. I dont think it makes him look humble, kinda dull rather.

I agree....and when he gave fed a hug when Fed was crying and then also apologized for beating him was a bit silly as well.

VivalaVida
03-10-2009, 06:23 PM
I agree....and when he gave fed a hug when Fed was crying and then also apologized for beating him was a bit silly as well.
yeah agreed, nadal REALLY didn't need to apologize for winning a match that he played his heart out for. He a really nice guy, had I been the guy who won back two back to back 5 set marathons, I would have had a toothy smile on my face through the entire trophy presentation and not have apologized.

vtmike
03-10-2009, 07:14 PM

Exactly...People like to take things out of context from press conferences and interviews and twist them around to make their fav player look good!

King of Aces
03-10-2009, 08:34 PM
this is completely off topic and I apologize, but king of aces, any update on the club in vegas, sorry forgot the name, that you made a thread about? I really enjoyed reading about all the pros' practice time there.

Sadly no. It looks like the owner just blew us all off. Im already back here in NY.

Nadal_Freak
03-10-2009, 09:03 PM
yeah agreed, nadal REALLY didn't need to apologize for winning a match that he played his heart out for. He a really nice guy, had I been the guy who won back two back to back 5 set marathons, I would have had a toothy smile on my face through the entire trophy presentation and not have apologized.
Yeah Nadal just has too much heart. I wish he would put it in Fed's face but that's not his style.

Gorecki
03-11-2009, 03:35 AM
so what do we aknowledge here so far from your overall comments?

Nadal is silly, dull and not really humble... while having OCD

Federer is bipolar and has emotional outbursts (maniac-depressive syndrome possibly)

not bad for a psychology lesson, but... what about tennis? what de we have to say about tennis?

pound cat
03-11-2009, 04:04 AM
Good god...

Fed fans have jumped ship now that Federer's #2. Typical fan/player behaviour.

tahiti
03-11-2009, 04:26 AM
King of Aces . Are you Roger Federer here in disguise, trying to ruin Rafa's reputation? Indeed I wonder how YOU get away with saying things like that?

So our top 2 are OCD & Bi-polar :) Perfect. True champions! Only Nadal must still learn the flamenco :)

In the article Fed says:
‘He’s beaten me a few times already but that was on his surface; that shouldn’t affect our matches on grass or hard-courts. One shouldn’t be discouraged by defeats.’”

While the surface statement might be incorrect, the bolded part is probably the best advice to any sportsman on the planet. There you win points King of Ace.

King of Aces
03-11-2009, 04:50 AM
King of Aces . Are you Roger Federer here in disguise, trying to ruin Rafa's reputation? Indeed I wonder how YOU get away with saying things like that?

So our top 2 are OCD & Bi-polar :) Perfect. True champions! Only Nadal must still learn the flamenco :)

In the article Fed says:
‘He’s beaten me a few times already but that was on his surface; that shouldn’t affect our matches on grass or hard-courts. One shouldn’t be discouraged by defeats.’”

While the surface statement might be incorrect, the bolded part is probably the best advice to any sportsman on the planet. There you win points King of Ace.

Hey Tahiti,

I actually like Roger.

I just think that after so many years its about time players like Jankovic fight back.

Roger Federer may have the most beautiful game ever seen and somehow he has the reputation of being a gentleman and a true sportsman.

But if you actually look at the things he says you will see that he is not as nice as he seems.

There are articles on the topic here and there but mainly the media has painted this rosy picture of Federer,

The truth is that he is not a very nice loser. He did not run off the courts before the award ceremony at the FO because he is "sensitive". He did not almost break down crying at Wimbledon because he is "sensitive". And finally he did not breakdown at the AO because he is sensitive. The truth is that he is just not a gracious loser.

A leopard cannot change his spots....it can just learn to hide its spots better. As a teen Federer used to throw his racquets and scream and curse when he lost. Nothing has really changed.....he just puts on a better act.

Federer might arguably be the greatest player of all time and he definitely has the most beautiful stroke....but its time we stopped looking at him through rose colored glasses and see him for what he also is: a sore loser.

King of Aces
03-11-2009, 04:59 AM
he made that comment a while ago and at the time, I think nadal was one dimensional. It wasn't a bad thing, because he was still a great player, but he did play the same way.

I dont agree but being truthful and being nice are two very different things. Would it be nice of you to tell a fat girl that she was fat?

"The other side of the Federer coin is seldom seen because he loses so few matches. I don't think he has changed much from his earlier days, when he used to slam and bang and cry after losing matches " http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070922011903AA9ky6P

vtmike
03-11-2009, 05:07 AM

Yeah I agree...He overdoes it and it just does not look genuine to me...I mean would you like to hear you are the best player in the history after losing grand slam finals?

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 05:22 AM
Good god...

I think with all the success Nadal has been having since his breakout year. Nadal deserves to be put in the same thread as Federer here because well lets face it who else can challenge Federer like Nadal can. All were bringing to the table is competition, excitement and thrilling.

And no i don't consider Federer doing his ballerina tennis winning for 4 years or more competition, excitement nor thrilling. Nadal brings all that and more back to the tennis world which saw a BORRING era where 1 guy dominated.

And with the emergence of new guys like Murray, Joker, Tsonga, DP, Monfils, Simon Tennis has finally started to get interesting again. I am really proud and happy for Nadal and these guys to challenge Federer and bring posters and flamers, bashers alike together.

Otherwise we would all be doing a ' YAY FEDERER WINS AGAIN.......' BORING!!!

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 05:26 AM
Yeah I agree...He overdoes it and it just does not look genuine to me...I mean would you like to hear you are the best player in the history after losing grand slam finals?

Well what do you want Nadal to say huh?? 'haha you lose again'? 'Im the GOAT not you'? haha please there is nothing Nadal can say to please you FEEDER fans.

I hope Nadal squashes Federer at the FO again and says 'Well deja-vu huh' LOL

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 05:28 AM
You sure hit that on the head. The Nadal freaks in this forum make it a place I'm starting to ponder not returning to. They pretty much ruin every thread, hijack it, troll, flame, and annoy everyone at any given chance. I hope their mommies and daddies take their computers away from them soon.

LOL so that means your gonna leave? WOOT here man take your tissues with you, maybe you can give some Federer too he might still be crying lol

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 05:31 AM

Your just a plain hypocrite, you claim that Nadal_Freak is blinded because well you are blinded by Federer maybe you should change your name to Federer_Freak you deserve it buddy

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 05:35 AM
I do know what you mean after wimbledon 2008 it was on UK news some people commenting on how Fed had been unsportsman like with his comments but I prefer to just give him the benefit of the doubt....

It must have hurt to lose the final and he probably didnt mean to act and say the things he did.

I dont think there is any need for Nadal Freak and co to crucify him at every opportunity...

Fed isn't that bad I'm sure if he really wanted to be a d!ck he could be.....

Im sure Federer didnt mean what he said i just have a problem with some of the hypocrites here who blame others when they themselves are doing the same thing. Nadal Freak stepped out of line a bit again... but so did others

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 05:38 AM
Don't make it so complicated vtmike, the fact is that nadal is the favorite in most matches these days. That is what it means to be the "best player in the world right now": you are the favorite, going into a random match you are expected to win. Don't let the fed. fanboyism confuse you.

Too late hes become like Nadal Freak only Federer version only difference is the name

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 05:40 AM
Yes after coasting to Semis

You *******s are good at planning out these things

Since he wins, it is miraculous that he beat the odds after such a touch semi

If he lost, you would have had a way to discredit Roger's victory

Well.... Nadal didnt lose did he? and Fed did have more rest going into the final didnt he? regardless of marathon or not? the fact that he did have a marathon made it even sweeter for Nadalfans and all the more sour for U!

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 05:43 AM
Allready happened. After nadal lost wimbledon 2007 he said fed. is the best player in the history. He has a good sense of who he is dealing with.

Hmm... yea wish the same was mutual aye?

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 05:46 AM

Im pretty sure everything talked about here is related to Tennis in one way or another isn't it? so there goes your theory out the window

BTW: why are you still here? leave already like you said before

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 05:49 AM
Imo nadal missed more passing shots than usual against Fed. in the AO final because he was tired from the verdasco match. Just an opinion, it can just as easily be because nadal had an off day and it had nothing to do with the verdasco match.

Fair post but i don't expect Feders to understand this sadly...

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 05:54 AM
Saram, lighten up! Where's your sense of humour, people can joke you know.:) Don't take everything so seriously!

Hm.... it seems Feders lost their sense of humor when one a person called Rafa Nadal came and completely destroyed their world where there was only 1 person dominating

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 05:57 AM
What a silly comment. I should oblige. "Please vtmike, when addressing my hero, refer to him as the World no. 1" Please be reminded that smarties are sugar coated and the World no. 1's word are laced in delicacy, diplomacy and tact. Now that's what I call class. :)

vTmike doesnt have any class he thinks he does or likes to think he does but doesnt and dont think he ever will

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 06:00 AM

I guess you can go both ways with this, not saying your point of view about this wrong im just saying that other people will react differently than you have its just a matter of who reacts to it in a certain way i think its fair hes only saying what he thinks after losing such an important match

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 06:03 AM

Its very true some people are so blinded that they will give the benefit of the doubt to their hero. Its natural for them but it will hurt all the more when their hero crumbles and they have no words to back them up to the point where it will sound ridiculous. Just for the record i agree that Feds comments on Nadal and TMC is justified with the year Nadal was having it wasn't a bad prediction for Nadal to win it

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 06:05 AM

Pretty much...look at say...nalbandian Lu in the AO, we ALL know Nalby is the better play and we all know who won that match

Saying Nadal is better would start riots too :roll

vtmike
03-11-2009, 06:08 AM
Well what do you want Nadal to say huh?? 'haha you lose again'? 'Im the GOAT not you'? haha please there is nothing Nadal can say to please you FEEDER fans.

I hope Nadal squashes Federer at the FO again and says 'Well deja-vu huh' LOL

Calm down will you! Did I say he is a bad person...no I didn't. Nadal is a gr8 guy and a gr8 player. But I think what he and his camp are doing by repeating the same statement over and over is applying pressure on Fed.

I think it is has more to do with strategy than with actual praise. Why would you say that Fed is the best player in the world when you have beat him the last three times in a row in grand slam finals...But that is just my opinion and you don't have to get all ****y about it...just agree to disagree

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 06:10 AM
did you watch the final? federer's playing level definitely dropped off after he won the 4th set; nadal didnt have to raise his level, and it didnt fall, so he won. but federer could have, and should have been able to at least maintain his level.

so yeah, he kinda handed it over. but it's not like nadal didnt work for it, or federer didnt try. he just almost gave up, like he though nadal was gonna win anyway, so why try.

Nadal_Freak and the girls are ok to talk to for the most part unless they get uber annoying, but at least they know something. you're just ignorant and think your opinion means something.

Saying something like Fed handed over the 5th set or almost gave up is like adding oil to a fire, the Nadal Fans would definitely never let you hear the end of it because i guess in a way to them it diminishes or discredits his victory and achievement. and well all know what happens next when someone does that to ones hero

vtmike
03-11-2009, 06:15 AM
vTmike doesnt have any class he thinks he does or likes to think he does but doesnt and dont think he ever will

Oh yeah and your angry rant here just shows how classy you are...unlike you I respect all players even if I don't like their style of play (take Nadal for example)
I don't care if you think I have class or not...as long as I know what the truth is I don't need any validation and esp from someone who is judging me based on a few posts on an internet forum...so what have you done that makes you so classy anyways?

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 06:19 AM
Calm down will you! Did I say he is a bad person...no I didn't. Nadal is a gr8 guy and a gr8 player. But I think what he and his camp are doing by repeating the same statement over and over is applying pressure on Fed.

I think it is has more to do with strategy than with actual praise. Why would you say that Fed is the best player in the world when you have beat him the last three times in a row in grand slam finals...But that is just my opinion and you don't have to get all ****y about it...just agree to disagree

I think ive made it VERY CLEAR i DISAGREE with you unless your even more delusional than i thought. I know you didn't say Nadal is a bad person and i hope you dont stoop to that level (yes there are actually levels lower than you). Im just saying what iceDevil (A fed Fan) said to Veron (A Nadal Fan) what I'm gonna say to you. You take things way out of context and no matter what the other person says or does you always take the negative of it that makes YOU just like any Blind Nadal fan and restates my opinion of you as a HYPOCRITE, if your not gonna listen to reason fine! listen to your Fellow Fed fans maybe they can teach you to be a better Fed fan overall

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 06:25 AM
Oh yeah and your angry rant here just shows how classy you are...unlike you I respect all players even if I don't like their style of play (take Nadal for example)
I don't care if you think I have class or not...as long as I know what the truth is I don't need any validation and esp from someone who is judging me based on a few posts on an internet forum...so what have you done that makes you so classy anyways?

LOL you dont respect Nadal. Your a liar too oh well its not like i didnt knew you were. And unlike you im sure as hell not biased as evident of my recent post i backed up Federers comments post AO and 2008 i even backed up IceDevil (A Loyal Fed Fan) against Veron( Clearly NadalFan). The difference between you and me is that i can show that i am not blinded by what i want to see and what i clearly see in front of me and that is sportsmanship and class conduct that Fed and Nadal have demonstrated time and time again.

You claim you know the truth well i wonder how much truth everyone here thinks you claim.... your truth only applies to you and i guess that is all it will ever apply because i can respect a fans undying devotion to its hero maybe you should learn to respect that too... but then again theres some hidden agenda to that too lol just like everything you claim 'the truth' is.

vtmike
03-11-2009, 06:26 AM
I think ive made it VERY CLEAR i DISAGREE with you unless your even more delusional than i thought. I know you didn't say Nadal is a bad person and i hope you dont stoop to that level (yes there are actually levels lower than you). Im just saying what iceDevil (A fed Fan) said to Veron (A Nadal Fan) what I'm gonna say to you. You take things way out of context and no matter what the other person says or does you always take the negative of it that makes YOU just like any Blind Nadal fan and restates my opinion of you as a HYPOCRITE, if your not gonna listen to reason fine! listen to your Fellow Fed fans maybe they can teach you to be a better Fed fan overall

I DON"TCARE IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ME! in case you had trouble deciphering what I said...AND I ALSO DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT ME!
I could say the same about you taking everything Fed says out of context and that also makes you a HYPOCRITE! So you go ahead and listen to your very objective Nadal freaks and be happy ranting about how bad Fed a person Federer is! because I can see that trying to make sense to you is like banging your head against a brick wall!

rubberduckies
03-11-2009, 06:26 AM

TMC = Tennis Masters Cup

How hard can it be to guess that T=tennis? It does in every other tennis-related acronym (ATP, WTA, TMS, ITF, USTA, AELTC)

When Lu gets a 13-6 record over Nalbandian, beats him 5 times straight, and achieves a higher ranking, we'll be ready to make that analogy.

vtmike
03-11-2009, 06:32 AM
LOL you dont respect Nadal. Your a liar too oh well its not like i didnt knew you were. And unlike you im sure as hell not biased as evident of my recent post i backed up Federers comments post AO and 2008 i even backed up IceDevil (A Loyal Fed Fan) against Veron( Clearly NadalFan). The difference between you and me is that i can show that i am not blinded by what i want to see and what i clearly see in front of me and that is sportsmanship and class conduct that Fed and Nadal have demonstrated time and time again.

You claim you know the truth well i wonder how much truth everyone here thinks you claim.... your truth only applies to you and i guess that is all it will ever apply because i can respect a fans undying devotion to its hero maybe you should learn to respect that too... but then again theres some hidden agenda to that too lol just like everything you claim 'the truth' is.

Now you are just putting words in my mouth! tell me when did I ever say that I do not respect Nadal? I said I don't like his game and thats it...I don't know the guy personally to have such a strong dislike for him!

what the hell are you talking about?? I am going to stop responding to you because you seem to be either drunk or on drugs!

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 06:37 AM
I DON"TCARE IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ME! in case you had trouble deciphering what I said...AND I ALSO DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT ME!
I could say the same about you taking everything Fed says out of context and that also makes you a HYPOCRITE! So you go ahead and listen to your very objective Nadal freaks and be happy ranting about how bad Fed a person Federer is! because I can see that trying to make sense to you is like banging your head against a brick wall!

LOL.... i think you do care if your getting this upset about 1 post. And have i said anything abouts Fed's comments that I have discouraged eg. post AO no i haven't in fact i have praised Feds comments or at most saw them on a fair level. So no... im not a hypocrite like you and well i dont think i can ever live with myself if i ever be like you lol.

2) I dont always agree if Nadal Freaks posts in fact i even raised against them because i found what their saying was ridiculous just like you so no im not a Nadal die hard.

3) and no you dont make any sense because whatever you tried to claim ive just stated back to you my standpoint and i even posts and quotes to back my claim and further question yours...

i think you should stop now before you make no sense at all. I'm sorry you banging my head on a brick wall.... your definitely not 'ANGRY' at all or so you say

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Now you are just putting words in my mouth! tell me when did I ever say that I do not respect Nadal? I said I don't like his game and thats it...I don't know the guy personally to have such a strong dislike for him!

what the hell are you talking about?? I am going to stop responding to you because you seem to be either drunk or on drugs!

You claim how he says "Fed is the greatest player of all time is like over doing it like its a strategy to get inside Fed's head that;s implying he has a hidden agenda to it'

If u want i can link it again if u cant even remember your own words

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 06:46 AM

Correct if I'm wrong but if I'm saying something that you think has a hidden meaning then you must really respect me if so then all your post towards must be out of respect WoW! 'sarcasm'

vtmike
03-11-2009, 06:52 AM
You claim how he says "Fed is the greatest player of all time is like over doing it like its a strategy to get inside Fed's head that;s implying he has a hidden agenda to it'

If u want i can link it again if u cant even remember your own words

Yeah so how does that imply that I disrespect him? its a strategy and if it helps him to get inside Fed's head and beat him then I wouldn't blame him on using a winning strategy...You are just making conclusions out of thin air to prove your point when infact you don't have a point and never had one in all you posts I have seen so far...you sound like a old disgruntled man who likes to throw angry rants! :mrgreen:

Nadal_Freak
03-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Agreed with Safinator. vtmike is a *******.

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 07:04 AM
I think with all the success Nadal has been having since his breakout year. Nadal deserves to be put in the same thread as Federer here because well lets face it who else can challenge Federer like Nadal can. All were bringing to the table is competition, excitement and thrilling.

And no i don't consider Federer doing his ballerina tennis winning for 4 years or more competition, excitement nor thrilling. Nadal brings all that and more back to the tennis world which saw a BORRING era where 1 guy dominated.

And with the emergence of new guys like Murray, Joker, Tsonga, DP, Monfils, Simon Tennis has finally started to get interesting again. I am really proud and happy for Nadal and these guys to challenge Federer and bring posters and flamers, bashers alike together.

Otherwise we would all be doing a ' YAY FEDERER WINS AGAIN.......' BORING!!!

I definitely agree to a certain extent. It is nice that there are new guys emerging to make tennis more competitive again. It must have sucked for non fed fans to have to watch fed dominate for four years. I certainly enjoy the competition, but as a fed fan, it would be nice for him to win a slam or two this year.

vtmike
03-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Agreed with Safinator. vtmike is a *******.

HAHAHAHA THE IRONY!! :D

tahiti
03-11-2009, 08:24 AM
We should have called this the "TW posters free their emotions thread"

I think Vmike and Nadal_Freak should set up their own thread and battle it out between them as to who is the best. Rafa or Roger. (Please note, alphabetical order) If you guys can eventually reach agreement, maybe we can all get along. King of Aces might want to be a support and perhaps he can nominate further support for Vmike.

Vmike, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I read earlier that you agreed with a poster who had said that Rafa was "********" for being so nice at the ceremony. That is clearly a direct insult at the no. 1. IMO the word "********" has become as nonchalant as an XXXXL super jumbo Mac. ******ation is a serious infliction.

With further comments on that speech I'm wondering if you could perhaps give us Rafa's speech in Spanish, or French, or whatever your second language is. You can practice here before you get to the world stage. I'm interested to hear how you would express your emotions with limited vocabulary? If you can't do it, then perhaps expanding your bank of English adjectives might do the trick :) Best of luck.

Safinator_1
03-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Yeah so how does that imply that I disrespect him? its a strategy and if it helps him to get inside Fed's head and beat him then I wouldn't blame him on using a winning strategy...You are just making conclusions out of thin air to prove your point when infact you don't have a point and never had one in all you posts I have seen so far...you sound like a old disgruntled man who likes to throw angry rants! :mrgreen:

Dude I compared you to a Nadal Fan and called you a hypocrite because you blame Harass them for taking things out of context when you yourself too as well. Do you have like a comment from Nadal saying he just says that to get inside Fed's head? lol i don't really see another way to make it clear it to you unless you want to drop by your house and stamp hypocrite on your forehead. I'm pretty sure your the one thats angry if you wanna compare me to hitting my head on bricks lol? thats totally not angry at all lol. I mean maybe i might wanna feel like hitting someones head to a brick too?

vtmike
03-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Dude I compared you to a Nadal Fan and called you a hypocrite because you blame Harass them for taking things out of context when you yourself too as well. Do you have like a comment from Nadal saying he just says that to get inside Fed's head? lol i don't really see another way to make it clear it to you unless you want to drop by your house and stamp hypocrite on your forehead. I'm pretty sure your the one thats angry if you wanna compare me to hitting my head on bricks lol? thats totally not angry at all lol. I mean maybe i might wanna feel like hitting someones head to a brick too?

I put across my point of view just like all Nadal fans here do...last time I checked this was a discussion forum so I don't really see anything wrong with that

and here I think you misunderstood me...I said making sense to you is like banging your (i.e. MY) head against a brick wall...I was actually talking about banging my own head and not yours...why the hell would I bang your head to put sense into your head...Its a pretty famous phrase and I thought you must've understood what I was implying...

but anyways we both think of each other as hypocrites and if thats the way it is then be it...

King of Aces
03-11-2009, 10:22 AM
King of Aces might want to be a support and perhaps he can nominate further support for Vmike.

Hey leave me out of this!

For a guy with a peacful sunset pic you sure are instigating one heck of a storm here.

Im going to take the Federer road here......in other words I am going to be like the Swiss....Neutral.

tahiti
03-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Hey leave me out of this!

For a guy with a peacful sunset pic you sure are instigating one heck of a storm here.

Im going to take the Federer road here......in other words I am going to be like the Swiss....Neutral.

Now that's an intelligent step King of Aces, :) I applaud you!!

King of Aces
03-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Now that's an intelligent step King of Aces, :) I applaud you!!

Your picture of a peaceful sunset is inspiring.

KOOMBAYA MY FRIEND. KOOMBAYA.

vtmike
03-11-2009, 10:31 AM
We should have called this the "TW posters free their emotions thread"

I think Vmike and Nadal_Freak should set up their own thread and battle it out between them as to who is the best. Rafa or Roger. (Please note, alphabetical order) If you guys can eventually reach agreement, maybe we can all get along. King of Aces might want to be a support and perhaps he can nominate further support for Vmike.

Vmike, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I read earlier that you agreed with a poster who had said that Rafa was "********" for being so nice at the ceremony. That is clearly a direct insult at the no. 1. IMO the word "********" has become as nonchalant as an XXXXL super jumbo Mac. ******ation is a serious infliction.

With further comments on that speech I'm wondering if you could perhaps give us Rafa's speech in Spanish, or French, or whatever your second language is. You can practice here before you get to the world stage. I'm interested to hear how you would express your emotions with limited vocabulary? If you can't do it, then perhaps expanding your bank of English adjectives might do the trick :) Best of luck.

Yes you are wrong...all I said is that it might be the Nadal camp strategy to praise Fed everytime so that all the pressure is off Rafa and on Fed...I never said or agreed that he is ********! (see quote below)

Yeah so how does that imply that I disrespect him? its a strategy and if it helps him to get inside Fed's head and beat him then I wouldn't blame him on using a winning strategy...

And why are you saying that?? I never implied that Nadal's english is bad or he is retarted because he can't speak english fluently...where did you get that from?? I honestly don't care if he speaks sudaneese or chineese or spanish...Tell me where you are making these conclusions from?

(oh and btw I can speak in 2 more languages other than english but you probably wouldn't understand any of it :) )

King of Aces
03-11-2009, 10:39 AM
(oh and btw I can speak in 2 more languages other than english but you probably wouldn't understand any of it :) )

what languages?

vtmike
03-11-2009, 10:41 AM
what languages?

hindi & marathi

tahiti
03-11-2009, 10:42 AM

Vmike - to this comment you replied

My reference to the language is that "******** people" cannot speak or at least fluently. Rafa does not speak English that well and those words which you claim are "strategies" are just his attempt to put his feelings across to Roger. It's so easy to criticize but what would WE have said? How would you word a speech then to Roger at that moment in time in your 2nd or 3rd language? Who are we to say "yeah it was ********, yeah I agree"

I just really believe that Rafa has strategies on court and that in no way his words were meant to be any psychological strategy. That's all. Sorry if I offended you.

King of Aces
03-11-2009, 10:44 AM
hindi & marathi

Namaste my friend.

Do you know Rashikapoor?

great movies.

tahiti
03-11-2009, 10:47 AM
hindi & marathi

Good for you! No wonder we all clash so much. I wonder how many cultures we have on this board....

vtmike
03-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Vmike - to this comment you replied

My reference to the language is that "******** people" cannot speak or at least fluently. Rafa does not speak English that well and those words which you claim are "strategies" are just his attempt to put his feelings across to Roger. It's so easy to criticize but what would WE have said? How would you word a speech then to Roger at that moment in time in your 2nd or 3rd language? Who are we to say "yeah it was ********, yeah I agree"

I just really believe that Rafa has strategies on court and that in no way his words were meant to be any psychological strategy. That's all. Sorry if I offended you.

I don't understand why people are so touchy here...one slightly negative comment about Nadal and hundred people jump on you! sheesh

and my comment was based on his reference to Roger as the greatest ever in every press conference and after every win he gets over Fed...I did not mean to insult his fluency in english or any other issue..

Neither you nor I can be certain if he truly feels that way because none of us know him personally...So all we say here is pure speculation...maybe you are right about him being so genuine that he is compelled to say Fed is the greatest ever everytime Fed loses or maybe I am right that it may be part of their strategy to put extra pressure on Fed...

So no I am not offended by your post and you shouldn't be offended by mine either because at the end of it this is a discussion forum and there are bound to be differences of opinions!

vtmike
03-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Namaste my friend.

Do you know Rashikapoor?

great movies.

Namaste ... Yes I do know Rishi* Kapoor but I like Shahrukh & Aamir Khan...they are my fav actors!
How do you know hindi?

tahiti
03-11-2009, 11:23 AM
I don't understand why people are so touchy here...one slightly negative comment about Nadal and hundred people jump on you! sheesh

Fine point taken. But I think the reason people jump is not because it's about a certain player, it's about the irrational statements and arguements that are laid down.

King of Aces
03-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Namaste ... Yes I do know Rishi* Kapoor but I like Shahrukh & Aamir Khan...they are my fav actors!
How do you know hindi?

I dont. I just am a big fan of baliwood. Those women are freaking hot!!!

Sadly I have no caste at all and thus I have zero chances with an Indian woman.

Oh well....I guess i will have to settle for poori bread, chicken vindaloo and a bit of chicken Tikka masala (my favorite).

Seriously, i have a ton of Indian friends. Great tennis players! This one guy i know is always beatching how he can never get married because of his freaking caste and the horoscope and stuff.

Poor guy....in our culture all you need is a lot of money and you can have just about any woman you want. ;)

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 12:31 PM
I dont. I just am a big fan of baliwood. Those women are freaking hot!!!

Sadly I have no caste at all and thus I have zero chances with an Indian woman.

Oh well....I guess i will have to settle for poori bread, chicken vindaloo and a bit of chicken Tikka masala (my favorite).

Seriously, i have a ton of Indian friends. Great tennis players! This one guy i know is always beatching how he can never get married because of his freaking caste and the horoscope and stuff.

Poor guy....in our culture all you need is a lot of money and you can have just about any woman you want. ;)

not every indian follows the caste system. I guess it just depends. I'm an indian, but brought up and born in america and my dad doesn't really care who I marry, black, white, chinese.

ksbh
03-11-2009, 12:35 PM
With a dad as liberal as that, I think you should go for all 3! :twisted:

not every indian follows the caste system. I guess it just depends. I'm an indian, but brought up and born in america and my dad doesn't really care who I marry, black, white, chinese.

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 12:38 PM
With a dad as liberal as that, I think you should go for all 3! :twisted:

lol. My dad is not as liberal as I made it sound. I would hate to think what people would think if a girl brought home three different husbands. Not that I would care, but I'm pretty sure my grandmother in India would be praying profusely.

ksbh
03-11-2009, 12:42 PM
ROFL X20! Knowing Indian parents & grandparents, you don't want to experiment with something like that! :)

lol. My dad is not as liberal as I made it sound. I would hate to think what people would think if a girl brought home three different husbands. Not that I would care, but I'm pretty sure my grandmother in India would be praying profusely.

King of Aces
03-11-2009, 01:09 PM

Sorry about that. That is a bit idiotic of me.:shock:

Hey did you see that movie...something something America?

It was about this Indian girl who was supposed to marry this Indian guy in the USA? But he sort of blew her off.....so she fell in love with an American guy and he had to pretend he was Indian ?

It was really funny....does anyone know the movie?

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 01:11 PM

It was about this Indian girl who was supposed to marry this Indian guy in the USA? But he sort of blew her off.....so she fell in love with an American guy and he had to pretend he was Indian ?

I've never heard of it, but I'll look it up.

SoBad
03-11-2009, 01:17 PM

So what caste are you?

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 01:22 PM
So what caste are you?

no idea. lol. I am not exactly the most in tune with my culture and my parents have never told me, nor have I bothered to ask.

SoBad
03-11-2009, 01:35 PM
no idea. lol. I am not exactly the most in tune with my culture and my parents have never told me, nor have I bothered to ask.

Hmmm OK, but you do realise you are a little bit of a fedt... though...?

devila
03-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Hey Tahiti,

I actually like Roger.

I just think that after so many years its about time players like Jankovic fight back.

Roger Federer may have the most beautiful game ever seen and somehow he has the reputation of being a gentleman and a true sportsman.

But if you actually look at the things he says you will see that he is not as nice as he seems.

There are articles on the topic here and there but mainly the media has painted this rosy picture of Federer,

The truth is that he is not a very nice loser. He did not run off the courts before the award ceremony at the FO because he is "sensitive". He did not almost break down crying at Wimbledon because he is "sensitive". And finally he did not breakdown at the AO because he is sensitive. The truth is that he is just not a gracious loser.

A leopard cannot change his spots....it can just learn to hide its spots better. As a teen Federer used to throw his racquets and scream and curse when he lost. Nothing has really changed.....he just puts on a better act.

Federer might arguably be the greatest player of all time and he definitely has the most beautiful stroke....but its time we stopped looking at him through rose colored glasses and see him for what he also is: a sore loser.

If I posted this, *******s like Andy Roddick, John Roddick, and Justin Gimelstob (who read this) will delete it.

King of Aces
03-11-2009, 01:42 PM
If I posted this, *******s like Andy Roddick, John Roddick, and Justin Gimelstob (who read this) will delete it.

Hey stay on topic....we are talking about India. ;)

devila
03-11-2009, 02:03 PM

After the AO final Toni Nadal said the following:

"The greatest of all is Rod Laver, after that the best is Federer," Toni Nadal told French reporters. "Federer is better than Rafa, better than any player. Rafa is a good player, winning this trophy and five other [Slams]. But there is still a big gap."

source: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/aus09/columns/story?columnist=tandon_kamakshi&id=3876885

My guess is that he was talking in the same sense as Toni Nadal, defining the better player based on the overall achievements of their careers.

I agree that Federer got a free pass in the past on some of his arrogant comments, but I don't think that is the case anymore, if anything, I thing it has gone in the opposite direction. Many people see him as as somewhat of a sore looser and I just think those are the realities of life, when you are at the top everything is easier.

I don't know any pro player personally, but based on what I've read and seen on tv it looks like Nadal is a great person, humble, centered, down to earth. While Federer might look not so good when you compare him to Nadal is that department, by no means, he is a horrible guy like some may say. I guess his competitive spirit takes over sometimes but compared to other people (McEnroe, Connors), he's mother Theresa.

Lastly, I try no to judge because I think it is too soon. Federer is 5 years older than Nadal and he is facing the nature of life. As you get older there's someone who is younger and stronger that wants to take your place. Before you compare both of their characters we have to wait and see how success affects, if at all, Nadal. Also, how Nadal will handle himself when his abilities start to decline and he has to step aside for the younger kids. Only then, you can make a judgment.
Before his opponents regularly used the computer CHALLENGE system,
Federer also robbed trophies on several occasions, and almost won the 2005 Masters Cup while he served for the match (6-5 30-0).

Jimmy Connors was a creep against McEnroe and Arthur Ashe (Davis Cup bad behavior), but he didn't insult many players.
Federer insulted Nadal "Rafa has a weird game. He does the same things always. I can't do what he does"), Roddick ("Gasquet's a great player. Andy's a great server", "I enjoy playing Andy. Not because I beat him", and Safin's inability to beat other players (despite beating Federer in the 2005 Australian Open).

King of Aces
03-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Jimmy Connors was a creep against McEnroe and Arthur Ashe (Davis Cup bad behavior), but he didn't insult many players.

The difference is that Roger has some sort of a magic spell where everyone thinks he is this really classy nice guy.

There is nothing wrong with being nasty the way Connors or Mcenroe were......but they were known for it!!

The thing with Federer is that he not only gets away with it but people think he is the classiest guy in the world.

I mean the guy literally ran off the freaking court when he lost the FO and got away with it!! In the history of tennis has anyone ever done that and got away with it???? When Belichek did the exact same thing the press went wild?? Where is the outrage against Roger?:confused:

Roger says really nasty things about Nadal, Djokovic, Jankovic, Canas you name it ....and everyone thinks he is he nicests guy!

Then when he loses a match he never simply says he was beaten...he always adds some silly reason for his loss.

Again.,.....there is nothing wrong with Roger behaving this way.....but how does he get this image of being this "classy gentleman"??? I mean he won the sportsman of the year like 3 or 4 years in a row.....has everyone gone mad?:confused:

Fed may be a lot of things.....but he is not a gracious loser.....its completely obvious.

veroniquem
03-11-2009, 02:27 PM
The only reason he "overdid" it in Australia is because Federer forced him to, I mean it wasn't a few tears running down his cheeks, it was very dramatic: he couldn't make his speech, he couldn't talk, he moaned "this is killing me", he couldn't even move or look at the crowd, the announcer had to interfere and say they would let him compose himself before hearing from him, then Federer continued sobbing even after stepping aside. What was Nadal supposed to do? Ignore the whole thing? Do his own speech as if nothing had happened? Sorry but that would have been interpreted as crass and insensitive. Of course he HAD TO acknowledge what had just happened and the most natural way to react was to say something comforting and help Federer calm down since Federer couldn't do that by himself. I believe Nadal found the situation awkward too and wasn't completely sure what to do but Federer is the one who provoked that situation, it's not like he gave Nadal a choice, he had to react on the spot and IMO his reaction was humane without being too condescending.

devila
03-11-2009, 02:33 PM
He's supposed to get away with the 'fantasy' propaganda.
If
you respect most nice players, you don't become blindly selfish like Fed and his delusional fans. Commentators and media tried so hard to make him look like the greatest rival to Nadal and shoved his "unhateable and unbeatable" image down our throats.
The opponents bowed down to him and were unathletic between 2003 and 2007. That's why everyone jumped on the "we don't respect anyone outside of Federer" hate bandwagon.

I started watching tennis to see respect and exciting players in the 1990s. I didn't watch because Federer was born. lol

veroniquem
03-11-2009, 02:35 PM
The difference is that Roger has some sort of a magic spell where everyone thinks he is this really classy nice guy.

There is nothing wrong with being nasty the way Connors or Mcenroe were......but they were known for it!!

The thing with Federer is that he not only gets away with it but people think he is the classiest guy in the world.

I mean the guy literally ran off the freaking court when he lost the FO and got away with it!! In the history of tennis has anyone ever done that and got away with it???? When Belichek did the exact same thing the press went wild?? Where is the outrage against Roger?:confused:

Roger says really nasty things about Nadal, Djokovic, Jankovic, Canas you name it ....and everyone thinks he is he nicests guy!

Then when he loses a match he never simply says he was beaten...he always adds some silly reason for his loss.

Again.,.....there is nothing wrong with Roger behaving this way.....but how does he get this image of being this "classy gentleman"??? I mean he won the sportsman of the year like 3 or 4 years in a row.....has everyone gone mad?:confused:

Fed may be a lot of things.....but he is not a gracious loser.....its completely obvious.
Maybe Agassi was right: "image is everything" :wink:

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 02:37 PM

wait, when did he run off the court after losing the french open? Wasn't he there for all the ceremonies?
I don't think they were as nasty as many of the nadal fans made them out to be. But I guess there will always be a difference of opinion on what fed says about nadal based on who you like. I understand why people think fed is not as classy as he is made out to be, but there is a reason that he won the sportsman year award for 4 years in a row. I believe the award was voted by his peers, so there must be something that they know about him that we don't. I do agree, however, that ihe is not that gracious of a loser. He definitely needs to work on that. Anways, discussing fed's attitude is going to be a never ending circle, because the nadal fans and fed fans are never going to agree. I do see your point though. Perhaps fed should just fully accept his mcenroe type personality. Maybe he'll start winning matches against nadal. lol

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Hmmm OK, but you do realise you are a little bit of a fedt... though...?

um okay, I suppose. What's your point? What does my caste have anything to do with me being a *******?

doublebreak
03-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Before his opponents regularly used the computer CHALLENGE system,
Federer also robbed trophies on several occasions, and almost won the 2005 Masters Cup while he served for the match (6-5 30-0).

So you're saying he is a cheater. Sorry, I don't remember seeing him robbing trophies. Could expand on those comments?

Federer insulted Nadal "Rafa has a weird game. He does the same things always. I can't do what he does"), Roddick ("Gasquet's a great player. Andy's a great server", "I enjoy playing Andy. Not because I beat him", and Safin's inability to beat other players (despite beating Federer in the 2005 Australian Open).

In my view, bad on court behavior is much worse than its off court counterpart. A player that tantrums, insults referees/linesmen, delays in my opinion shows a general lack of respect for the game, the fans and the players that could be considered very insulting towards all those parties involved. Federer's comments toward other players may not be commendable but in may view that type of behavior is less insulting than what I mentioned above and therefore the on court play is not significantly influenced by it, if at all.

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 02:46 PM

that's because King of Aces actually has a legite argument and his posts make sense.

doublebreak
03-11-2009, 03:00 PM

I don't think he is the "classiest guy in the world". I just don't see the point in getting annoyed by general perceptions. I would say that common perceptions (about anything) are very often wrong. Maybe, this perception is due to Myrka, or his publicist or whatever. I think all that is changing, I see people and the media being more vocal and calling him on his blunt assertions. I agree when you say there is nothing wrong with him behaving this way, If he really feels strongly about his opinions, then we will not change, and that perception you talk about will adapt at some point to the reality.

You talk about McEnroe who in my view was a complete disgrace for tennis, and the perception of him is not negative, people pay to see him do his ridiculous rants on court. I find the glorification of that kind of behavior somewhat sad but I'm not bothered by it, mass perceptions are completely out of our control.

devila
03-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Who knows what's inside Federer's head? He obviously got lucky several times against Agassi, Santoro, Nadal and Nalbandian.
I watched all those matches, and pro-Federer commentators agreed. I never saw
the other top 10 players between 2004-5 with so much luck on their way to finals of Master Series and Masters Cup.

2004 Indian Wells QF Agassi should have a break in the 3rd set, but they stole that away.
2004 Toronto - Santoro had 3 break chances stolen from him, 1 of those was for a 4-2 lead.
2005 Miami F - Nadal had 6-2 7-6, 5-2 lead in the tiebreak....They ignored a clearly wide shot by Federer.
2005 Masters Cup - Nalbandian was robbed in the tiebreaks, until he fought
hard to level the match (almost 4 hour match). Federer screamed at him, because Nalbandian challenged a call on the baseline!!!

Here comes the "unreasonable" accusation....

veroniquem
03-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Who knows what's inside Federer's head? He obviously got lucky several times against Agassi, Santoro, Nadal and Nalbandian.
the other top 10 players between 2004-5 with so much luck on their way to finals of Master Series and Masters Cup.

2004 Indian Wells QF Agassi should have a break in the 3rd set, but they stole that away.
2004 Toronto - Santoro had 3 break chances stolen from him, 1 of those was for a 4-2 lead.
2005 Miami F - Nadal had 6-2 7-6, 5-2 lead in the tiebreak....They ignored a clearly wide shot by Federer.
hard to level the match (almost 4 hour match). Federer screamed at him, because Nalbandian challenged a call on the baseline!!!

Really? Did you tape all those matches? I could never remember all this stuff off the top of my head!

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 03:05 PM

did he really do that? Based on your previous posts, I find this post to be a bunch of bs.

devila
03-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Not everything you say is right just because you adore Federer.
I'm supposed to say, "Fed fans saw every match. I never watched anything. I'm not a fan of Nadal, Nalbandian and Agassi... Yet, somehow, I can see bad umpiring. Federer didn't scream... but he let out a strange loud noise from his throat as he stared at Nalbandian." Yeah, right.

King of Aces
03-11-2009, 03:56 PM
I don't think he is the "classiest guy in the world". I just don't see the point in getting annoyed by general perceptions. I would say that common perceptions (about anything) are very often wrong. Maybe, this perception is due to Myrka, or his publicist or whatever. I think all that is changing, I see people and the media being more vocal and calling him on his blunt assertions. I agree when you say there is nothing wrong with him behaving this way, If he really feels strongly about his opinions, then we will not change, and that perception you talk about will adapt at some point to the reality.

You talk about McEnroe who in my view was a complete disgrace for tennis, and the perception of him is not negative, people pay to see him do his ridiculous rants on court. I find the glorification of that kind of behavior somewhat sad but I'm not bothered by it, mass perceptions are completely out of our control.

I agree.....Federer is held to a higher standard. I think the media created a persona that is not the real Federer.

Federer has absolutely the most beautiful game in the world and when he was winning he really came off as classy as his game. But as Federer starts to lose more and more we are starting to see that he is human after all.

Again there is nothing wrong with Federer behaving this way.......but we have to stop looking at him through these rose colored glasses. Roger is human and he hates to lose.....so what? Lets admit it and move on.

The perception of Mcenroe is instead that of a clown. People pay to see him freak out.

There is nothing wrong with Mcenroe or Federer.......we are all human and we all have imperfections. Rogers imperfections are actually finally showing.

The word is out: Roger Federer is human after all!

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 03:59 PM
I agree.....Federer is held to a higher standard. I think the media created a persona that is not the real Federer.

Federer has absolutely the most beautiful game in the world and when he was winning he really came off as classy as his game. But as Federer starts to lose more and more we are starting to see that he is human after all.

Again there is nothing wrong with Federer behaving this way.......but we have to stop looking at him through these rose colored glasses. Roger is human and he hates to lose.....so what? Lets admit it and move on.

The perception of Mcenroe is instead that of a clown. People pay to see him freak out.

There is nothing wrong with Mcenroe or Federer.......we are all human and we all have imperfections. Rogers imperfections are actually finally showing.

The word is out: Roger Federer is human after all!

hmm, I agree. All of the players have faults. No one is perfect no matter what the fans think. I definitely agree that roger is no where near perfect.

VivalaVida
03-11-2009, 04:00 PM

haha complete BS.
http://americanpatrol.com/POPUPS/IMAGES/BS-Meter.gif

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Not everything you say is right just because you adore Federer.I'm supposed to say, "Fed fans saw every match. I never watched anything. I'm not a fan of Nadal, Nalbandian and Agassi... Yet, somehow, I can see bad umpiring. Federer didn't scream... but he let out a strange loud noise from his throat as he stared at Nalbandian." Yeah, right.

I don't remember saying I'm always right when it comes to federer. Has it ever occured to you that you might be biased in your posts due to your fed hate? Love is blind but so is hatred.

VivalaVida
03-11-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't remember saying I'm always right when it comes to federer. Has it ever occured to you that you might be biased in your posts due to your fed hate? Love is blind but so is hatred.
no he hasnt realized it at all. All his posts on federer should be taken with a grain of salt, he is complete fed hater and as you said, hatred is blind also.

wangs78
03-11-2009, 04:05 PM

It's worth pointing out though that it's very clear that Fed believes that he, not Nadal, is the best player in tennis (and probably of all time). Just look at his choice of words "Nadal is the best in the world RIGHT NOW". He clearly is envisioning the day when he will win the ranking back, bc in his mind he is the best, most talented player in the world. I don't disagree with him. But it's clear that Rafa has been having better results and that Rafa wins in their H2Hs. Roger is just saying what he *should* be saying, not what he REALLY wants to say. It's clear that he's confident of his talent and hence this bit of harmless arrogance, but I think it makes it harder for him to beat Nadal, bc it makes him stubborn when it comes to tactics.

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 04:10 PM
It's worth pointing out though that it's very clear that Fed believes that he, not Nadal, is the best player in tennis (and probably of all time). Just look at his choice of words "Nadal is the best in the world RIGHT NOW". He clearly is envisioning the day when he will win the ranking back, bc in his mind he is the best, most talented player in the world. I don't disagree with him. But it's clear that Rafa has been having better results and that Rafa wins in their H2Hs. Roger is just saying what he *should* be saying, not what he REALLY wants to say. It's clear that he's confident of his talent and hence this bit of harmless arrogance, but I think it makes it harder for him to beat Nadal, bc it makes him stubborn when it comes to tactics.

not true. He has said that he could potentially be the greatest of his era, but not of all time. He mentioned nadal being the best player right now, because that is what the interviewer at the time mentioned. He mentioned something about how nadal is the best player right now, so fed used that statement and added to it. I know that his statements show arrogance and he is stubborn, but he has said a few times that he does not think he is the greatest of all time.

King of Aces
03-11-2009, 04:11 PM
But when he calls Nadal one Dimensional, or says that Djokovic has no business on the court, or puts down jankovoic.....well thats not excatly "nice".

There is nothing wrong with it....but lets call a spade a spade......Roger Federer is just not this perfect gentleman that the media has created.

Federer himself has said that the media "created a monster"..

The truth is Federer can have an edge to him......and thats all I am saying. Nothing more nothing less.

VivalaVida
03-11-2009, 04:25 PM
But when he calls Nadal one Dimensional, or says that Djokovic has no business on the court, or puts down jankovoic.....well thats not excatly "nice".

There is nothing wrong with it....but lets call a spade a spade......Roger Federer is just not this perfect gentleman that the media has created.

Federer himself has said that the media "created a monster"..

The truth is Federer can have an edge to him......and thats all I am saying. Nothing more nothing less.

agreed. He is far from perfect ofcourt and oncourt. He is still a damn good player and I am still a fan.

devila
03-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Who can possibly love Federer any more after he cried Slam after Slam,
and instead of quieting down his gulping and crying,
he says, "I'll give Nadal the last word"?
Since when was he both the cheerleader and destroyer of Nadal? He's an opponent. Nothing more important than a gentleman like Nadal, Edberg, Ashe, etc. IF any player, described as an inferior player, cried and says so many
stupid things that annoy both women and men (only a few players admit they don't like his behavior)....imagine what the Fed fans will post here.

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Who can possibly love Federer any more after he cried Slam after Slam,
and instead of quieting down his gulping and crying,
he says, "I'll give Nadal the last word"?
Since when was he both the cheerleader and destroyer of Nadal? He's an opponent. Nothing more important than a gentleman like Nadal, Edberg, Ashe, etc. IF any player, described as an inferior player, cried and says so many
stupid things that annoy both women and men (only a few players admit they don't like his behavior)....imagine what the Fed fans will post here.

um, it was just one slam. He had tears in his eyes after wimbledon, but given the situation, it was understandable. I don't like that fed cried after AO, but you're statement that fed cries slam after slam is an exaggeration and clearly a biased statement. Unless you're just talking about crying in general, whether win or loss. Then it was a bit more, but crying when your winning isn't bad.

vtmike
03-11-2009, 04:55 PM

You should change that to here comes the bull*hit accusation because what you have said is complete bull!

devila
03-11-2009, 04:56 PM
He cried in front of Nadal, as if Nadal
should feel sorry for him. Nadal even said
he felt sorry. That's ridiculous.
How does he feel when everyone else lost their tight matches with him? It was painful to me, because tennis isn't just about him and Nadal.
The STUPID media obviously made him feel pressure to be the "prettiest and best of all time".
They also made other players say bad things about themselves to promote what the media wants.

He should appreciate his athleticism and stop making other players feel inadequate.
Look at Roddick and Nalbandian.
Roddick on Tennis Channel:
"I'm not very talented. I work as hard as possible. Nadal wins with muscles. Federer's the GOAT."
"I'll wait 8 finals to beat Federer."

Nalbandian in 2007: "Fed's the best and hope he wins as much as possible this year."

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 05:01 PM
He cried in front of Nadal, as if Nadal
should feel sorry for him. Nadal even said
he felt sorry. That's ridiculous.
How does he feel when everyone else lost their tight matches with him? It was painful to me, because tennis isn't just about him and Nadal.
The STUPID media obviously made him feel pressure to be the "prettiest and best of all time".
They also made other players say bad things about themselves to promote what the media wants.

He should appreciate his athleticism and stop making other players feel inadequate.
Look at Roddick and Nalbandian.
Roddick on Tennis Channel:
"I'm not very talented. I work as hard as possible. Nadal wins with muscles. Federer's the GOAT."
"I'll wait 8 finals to beat Federer."

Nalbandian in 2007: "Fed's the best and hope he wins as much as possible this year."

you know there was somewhat of a decent discussion going on, along with some major disagreement. However, most of us had some pretty decent arguments and then you come in with you're ******** and ruin it. Hate fed all you want, but please use some logic and make sense.

King of Aces
03-11-2009, 05:27 PM
you know there was somewhat of a decent discussion going on, along with some major disagreement. However, most of us had some pretty decent arguments and then you come in with you're ******** and ruin it. Hate fed all you want, but please use some logic and make sense.

I agree. There is no reason to hate either of them. The truth is we dont know either Federer or Nadal on a personal level.

The media has created a monster......

“I’ve created a monster that I need to win every tournament" Roger Federer.

Maybe its time we all actually read Kiplings words at Wimbledon:

“If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same”........

Nadal or Federer....its all an illusion. We really do not know either of them. Thats all I was trying to say. No need to hate.

wangs78
03-11-2009, 05:29 PM
not true. He has said that he could potentially be the greatest of his era, but not of all time. He mentioned nadal being the best player right now, because that is what the interviewer at the time mentioned. He mentioned something about how nadal is the best player right now, so fed used that statement and added to it. I know that his statements show arrogance and he is stubborn, but he has said a few times that he does not think he is the greatest of all time.

Well, I won't say that it's a fact that Fed thinks he is the GOAT. But I say that that is, in fact, my opinion. Fed's a cultured and gracious player so he's aware of sportsmanlike conduct and he abides by that, which is laudable. But, I don't believe for an instant that he doesn't think he has the most complete game, the most perfect technique - overall - than any other player in history. Maybe he would concede that his serve is worse than Sampras', bc you can't argue that. But overall, he has a game that as a whole, is perfect and BEAUTIFUL. Fed definitely knows this and his vanity is pretty much in plain view to all of his by the way he dresses, the sponsors he chooses (Rolex, Prada), etc. I think he keeps all of this vanity in check, because he does have humility as well.

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Well, I won't say that it's a fact that Fed thinks he is the GOAT. But I say that that is, in fact, my opinion. Fed's a cultured and gracious player so he's aware of sportsmanlike conduct and he abides by that, which is laudable. But, I don't believe for an instant that he doesn't think he has the most complete game, the most perfect technique - overall - than any other player in history. Maybe he would concede that his serve is worse than Sampras', bc you can't argue that. But overall, he has a game that as a whole, is perfect and BEAUTIFUL. Fed definitely knows this and his vanity is pretty much in plain view to all of his by the way he dresses, the sponsors he chooses (Rolex, Prada), etc. I think he keeps all of this vanity in check, because he does have humility as well.

hmm, I guess you're right. That's reasonable enough.

The-Champ
03-11-2009, 05:46 PM

I've seen that one, can't remember the title though. The girl was not really attractive at first, but the magic of 'make-over' turned her into a fine chick.

SaintClaires
03-11-2009, 05:51 PM
I've seen that one, can't remember the title though. The girl was not really attractive at first, but the magic of 'make-over' turned her into a fine chick.

Are we still talking about tennis?

devila
03-11-2009, 05:54 PM
How many people use logic and sense when they promote Federer?
Seriously. Your idea of decent is saying
"you ruin it". You can post anything you want. Don't object when others call your argument undecent just because they like other players.
Of course, you don't protest when
Fed fans call other players "washed up and non-contenders for Slams".
They just want to say whatever they want to get bandwagon support from other Fed fans... Obviously, if Fed acts immature, pretend he's too classy.

For example: Fed enjoys dismissing the opponents for his own amusement and
power trip. It's not too arrogant. It's a human thing, only applied to him,...or does it apply to his rosy glass wearing, rabid fans?

SaintClaires
03-11-2009, 05:58 PM
I don't think Federer had an emotional breakdown.

If someone cries, it's not at all a big deal. It's just the way we're wired.

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 06:00 PM
How many people use logic and sense when they promote Federer?
Seriously. Your idea of decent is saying
"you ruin it". You can post anything you want. Don't object when others call your argument undecent just because they like other players.
Of course, you don't protest when
Fed fans call other players "washed up and non-contenders for Slams".
They just want to say whatever they want to get bandwagon support from other Fed fans... Obviously, if Fed acts immature, pretend he's too classy.

For example: Fed enjoys dismissing the opponents for his own amusement and
power trip. It's not too arrogant. It's a human thing, only applied to him,...or does it apply to his rosy glass wearing, rabid fans?

um, I wasn't just talking about my posts making sense. There were other posters who were arguing against other fed fans, and there posts made sense. I might not have agreed with them, but they used some logic to back up their arguments, something you obviously have not learned. I believe its the fed haters who say he is washed up and no longer a contender for slams. In fact I have defended other players besides fed as well.

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 06:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/columns/story?columnist=tandon_kamakshi&id=3965540

here's what fed had to say about his emotional break down:

"Embarrassing" was how Federer described his breakdown, saying that tears were fine after a win but not after a loss. But the outpouring did have one positive, he added, allowing him to get out the worst of his emotions immediately.

He also does compliment nadal nicely:

"Once I'm at the hotel, I think, 'Too bad it didn't work out. Anyway, my career isn't over yet,'" Federer said. "I've already achieved so much that I don't have a problem accepting when it does not work out at times. I'm happy for Nadal when he plays so well."

King of Aces
03-11-2009, 06:46 PM

I think the movie was called :

"The other end of the line" with shriya saran.....and she was freaking hot. man you have high standards:

http://l.yimg.com/img.movies.yahoo.com/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/mgm/the_other_end_of_the_line/theotherendoftheline_galleryposter.jpg

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 06:48 PM
I thionk the movie was called :

"The other end of the line" with shriya saran.....and she was freaking hot. man you have high standards:

http://l.yimg.com/img.movies.yahoo.com/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/mgm/the_other_end_of_the_line/theotherendoftheline_galleryposter.jpg

oh wow, I never knew she did an english movie. She's done many south indian films. I'll have to check the movie out. Thanks

King of Aces
03-11-2009, 06:49 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nope Im wrong that wasnt it.

SaintClaires
03-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I think the movie was called :

If we are talking about tennis, then the guy on top must be Novak Djokovic and the woman on the bottom must be Sania Mirza

devila
03-11-2009, 07:33 PM
That's hilarious, ice. You claim that plenty of Federer haters called him a non-contender.
How many considered Nadal "the Perfect player", as Fed fans called Fed?
You can be a biased butthole Fed fan....and you're not being an angry,
fake arguer.

You admitted to not understanding that Nadal won fewer games than Novak at the Olympics, but you tell me that I "don't understand".
You've just joined this board last month. You're teaching me a lesson. Now, I better be agreeable and talk about Indian movies.

King of Aces
03-11-2009, 07:36 PM
oh wow, I never knew she did an english movie. She's done many south indian films. I'll have to check the movie out. Thanks

that movie is supposed to be a dud. The one I am talking about is a completely different movie. Its actually pretty good.

In fact the girl who plays the Indian part may not even be Indian but in reality spanish just posing as Indian.

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 07:40 PM
That's hilarious, ice. You claim that plenty of Federer haters called him a non-contender.
How many considered Nadal "the Perfect player", as Fed fans called Fed?
You can be a biased butthole Fed fan....and you're not being an angry,
fake arguer.

You admitted to not understanding that Nadal won fewer games than Novak at the Olympics, but you tell me that I "don't understand".
You've just joined this board last month. You're teaching me a lesson. Now, I better be agreeable and talk about Indian movies.

I don't think I've ever said that fed is a perfect player. I know some fans might think that, but I don't. I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect player.

SaintClaires
03-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I don't think I've ever said that fed is a perfect player. I know some fans might think that, but I don't. I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect player.

That's a good point!

No one is perfect, not even Kittipong Wachiramanowong

King of Aces
03-11-2009, 07:49 PM
I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect player.

I disagree:

http://angulo.yooblog.gr/files/2007/07/anna-ivanovic.jpg

SaintClaires
03-11-2009, 07:51 PM
I disagree:

http://angulo.yooblog.gr/files/2007/07/anna-ivanovic.jpg

If everyone quotes this picture for the next 20 or so times, this will start to look like a porn site.

Let's try it!:):):)

TheTruth
03-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Tennis is tough. It's not a team sport where there is someone else who can bare some of the blame of losing. The Australian open final was a five set match that physically and mentally nearly exhausted both players. I thought it was obvious that Federer did not want to be there on the podium as the loser. He had not lost to Nadal at a harcourt major before, and after Nadal's epic match 36 hours before against Verdasco, Federer must have been shocked that it was he, and not Nadal that faultered. To be a great champion you have to believe in yourself, and much of this belief was shattered in this packed stadium and in front of a world wide TV audience. And maybe even more important was that Rod Laver himself, and a whole slew of legends, was there to give him his record tying 14th major trophy. But it had all evaporated in a flash, and here he was in a fishbowl with no where to hide to compose himself, even for five minutes. Considering this, I certainly can not fault Roger for more profusely praising Rafa at that moment. Rafa did not need consoling from Roger; he had just won. And he now in only 6 months had stripped Roger's invulnerability on two different slam surfaces. (And guess who's going to win the next championship in Paris?) Yet it was tremendously good sportsmanship on Nadal's part to be as supportive as he was to Roger. I've followed multiple sports for a long time and have never seen anything like it. It is a tremendous memory to look back on. Not a happy moment. But a unique moment in sports history.

Very well done!

Gen
03-12-2009, 02:22 AM

Agree. This thing is called "downplay", and Nadal's team does it all the time. Very right decision IMO.

THERAFA
03-12-2009, 03:06 AM
Federer has often said "Rafa is the best in the world 'at the moment'" or "Rafa is the best 'right now'" but I doubt we'll ever hear Federer say "Rafa is the best player in the world", I remember Jim Courier noting this during the:
Australian
Open

luckyboy1300
03-12-2009, 04:27 AM
Federer has often said "Rafa is the best in the world 'at the moment'" or "Rafa is the best 'right now'" but I doubt we'll ever hear Federer say "Rafa is the best player in the world", I remember Jim Courier noting this during the:
Australian
Open

what more do you rafafans want? for federer to shout "NADAL IS THE GREATEST PLAYER I'VE EVER KNOWN!"? let nadal earn it first, please. if he really wants federer to say it, MAKE him say it. not now. nadal still has a long way to go.