PDA

View Full Version : French Open predictions

court_zone
03-04-2005, 03:05 PM
If you think about, the next slam is just around the corner. Who has the best chances of truly reigning as "king of clay"?

My picks:

Top contenders for the title: Coria, Federer, Safin, Gaudio, maybe Nadal and Canas

Darkhorses: Roddick, Hewitt, Agassi, and some others who have nothing to lose

deflori
03-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Safin,Canas,Nadal & Coria are good choices,i dont think gaudio can defeat that Thing,i hope for corretja and costa,but i think they are to old for a marathon like that...

Rabbit
03-04-2005, 06:56 PM
I think South America has a lock on this one. Dark horse....Nadal.

Vlad
03-04-2005, 07:17 PM
If you think about, the next slam is just around the corner. Who has the best chances of truly reigning as "king of clay"?

My picks:

Top contenders for the title: Coria, Federer, Safin, Gaudio, maybe Nadal and Canas

Darkhorses: Roddick, Hewitt, Agassi, and some others who have nothing to lose

You have Roddick and Hewitt as darkhorses and you don't have Ferrero, Nalbandian and Guga anywhere... not even darkhorses?

Pushmaster
03-04-2005, 07:25 PM
I think Moya is due for a big win, although it will be a tough road for him. Now is the time, because at almost 29 he's getting long on the tooth.

dAgEnIuS
03-04-2005, 07:33 PM
I really hope to see Ferrero and Coria/Federer in the finals...
and Ferrero winning in 5 sets...

david aames
03-04-2005, 07:44 PM
Yeah, don't count him out just yet... He has said that his goal this year was to make a bang at the majors. Looked crafty enough in that final Davis Cup weekend last year. I'd pay good money to see a Nadal/Moya showdown.

I think Moya is due for a big win, although it will be a tough road for him. Now is the time, because at almost 29 he's getting long on the tooth.

bertrevert
03-05-2005, 04:05 AM
Nalbandian has shown some real maturity on clay and has, I don't know how to describe it - good-natured patience, good tennis patience. He has great feel for a match, for a point. I think he really ground down Coria at the AO? He could definitely take it all the way at the Fench for he now has big match experience.

VamosRafa
03-05-2005, 04:12 AM
Haven't seen Coria on clay lately, but of course he's going to be the fave.

But if he's recovered from his injury, Gaudio will be the one to beat.

As for the rest, there's a certain 18-year-old who has given them lots of problems.

So we shall see. The field seem to be wide open, but that may be because the top contenders aren't worrying about clay until they get to it.

IW and Miami is their current goal, after DC

bertrevert
03-05-2005, 04:24 AM
that may be because the top contenders aren't worrying about clay until they get to it.

One day all pros will definitely about-face on clay, and begin to include it in the training regimen. To ignore a surface, or just attempt to get ready for it when you step on it to play a match, is surely a modern anomaly. Such gaps will be plugged by hungrier players, more hungry than we can imagine, as the purses get richer, and the standard tighter. The surface (thankfully) will always be capricious and test the favourites against the unknown.

court_zone
03-05-2005, 05:39 AM
I agree with you Vlad that I should have added Kuerten and Ferrero as darkhorses but not Nalbandian. I am already pretty sure that Nalbandian will get to quarters or better.

Feņa14
03-05-2005, 07:36 AM
Well Coria will be hard to beat, Ferrero could be back at his best by then aswell.

Henman after last years performance hehe, but my dark horse is Fernando Gonzalez i'm sure he will win it one year.. why not this year?

davey25
03-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Federer, Spain, or Argentina all have a great shot at it. Should be interesting.

court_zone
03-05-2005, 08:53 AM
I hope this year's French does not unexpectedly knock out players like last year. There will probably some unexpected Spaniards, Argentines, and other claycourters ending up in the quarters or better. Last couple of years it has been an overwelming favorite over an unexpected player in the finals. What do you think about Roddick finally getting to the second week? Or Lleyton improving on his quarters performance of last year? Nadal's been in great form so far this year, maybe good enough to win this thing. The other Spaniard, Moya, I think is getting too old and this is probably his last chance at this along with Kuerten. Henman, I'm sure, will not achieve the result he had last year. It will be a very interesting fortnight.

alienhamster
03-05-2005, 10:13 AM
My $3.45 crystal ball tells me that Federer will win the French this year, and then crap out mid-way through Wimbledon.

(Hey, if I'm wrong, it was only $3.45, you know?)

nkhera1
03-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Roddick, dark-horse, and clay should never be used in the same sentence.

lemurballs
03-05-2005, 12:21 PM
white horse?

I still like Ferrero, Coria...and yes, Federer.