PDA

View Full Version : Paintjobs before Agassi?

Safina
03-04-2005, 02:35 PM
just wondering if you know of pros that used paintjobs before Agassi.
Was the Head/Agassi pairing the beginning of the paintjob-hell we live in?

Kirko
03-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Nastase did it had his his wood rackets to look like addias.

AndrewD
03-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Navratilova had a Dunlop 200G painted black with Yonex butt cap and stencil.

Woodforde and a few others sponsored by Sfida in the 90's(?) used to have their old frames black with just Sfida logos.

joe sch
03-04-2005, 08:35 PM
I think the picassos may have started in the 70s around the time of the Nastase adidas. The kramer and smith models were also painted to look like quite a few of the new brands like the snauwaaert geurlaitas and even an arias donnay borg pro.

christo
03-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Probably goes all the way back to Major Wingfield Clothhead Blunderbuss in the 1800's, old chap. Took a couple of shillings on the side to paint over an old 2x4, not really veddy sporting I say, eh what?

Steve Huff
03-04-2005, 10:05 PM
This goes back before graphite rackets. When Borg played and strung his rackets at over 70# (some people claim 80), people found out the hard way that their Bancrofts (nor Donnays) could possibly handle that kind of tension. It was then revealed that Borg's racket wasn't one you could actually buy. It was beefed up in the shoulders and had a stronger hoop to allow him to string at really high tension. Does this mean he used a paintjob? It isn't too much different than what's being done. And, like many of you guys who get upset about it, there were a lot of people upset about it then too.

spt
03-05-2005, 04:50 AM
actually Laver was under contract to play with chemold frames. They only made a steel/aluminum racket, but laver was playing with a wood chemold that looked like the maxply.

AndrewD
03-06-2005, 01:34 AM
spt,
I don't know if they're actually paintjobs. I have seen several of the wooden 'Laver' chemolds up for sale on **** and on a site devoted to wooden racquets. Agree it does look very much like the Maxply but perhaps its more of a copy than a paintjob. Still, Im willing to be corrected on that.

Steve Huff
03-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Agree with Andrew that there were wood Chemolds. don't know if that's what Laver used, but a pro will play with about anything if the money's right.

chad shaver
03-09-2005, 06:42 AM
Didn't Mecir play with a wooden racquet painted to look like a graphite/aluminum racquet?

joe sch
03-09-2005, 07:38 AM
spt,
I don't know if they're actually paintjobs. I have seen several of the wooden 'Laver' chemolds up for sale on **** and on a site devoted to wooden racquets. Agree it does look very much like the Maxply but perhaps its more of a copy than a paintjob. Still, Im willing to be corrected on that.
Nah, those are just cheapo models that Rod endorsed for Chemold, not player quality sticks !

Kaptain Karl
03-09-2005, 08:51 AM
I cannot remember "where" it came in Nastase's transition, but when his sponsoring company's endorsement contract went un-renewed ... Nasty painted the whole racket flat black, giving "credit" to no Mfr. (It was either Dunlop or Adidas who was "late" in renewing. One Major tourney was all I remember it taking for them to re-sign him....)

And everyone knew his "Adidas" was a PJ. It was a Fort, painted with Adidas' details. (For good reason. Did any of you ever try that Adidas stick? Yuck!!!)

- KK

Bhagi Katbamna
03-09-2005, 08:54 AM
Jack Kramer used a Don Budge model painted to look like something else.

Kaptain Karl
03-09-2005, 09:11 AM
Wow! Kramer too!!! Do you think this conspiracy was planned all *that* long ago???

- KK

love15
03-10-2005, 06:07 AM
In the Nasty biography he wroote "when i switch fron Dunlop to Adidas they (adidas guys ) were not able to provide me a similar raquet, so I played for a long time with a Wilson pJ as the Adidas".

Did you know that Stefan Edberg switched to an Adidas frame too, he lost a davis final against German , then turn back to Wilson.

L15

Kaptain Karl
03-10-2005, 07:55 AM
In the Nasty biography he wroote "when I switch from Dunlop to Adidas they (adidas guys ) were not able to provide me a similar raquet, so I played for a long time with a Wilson pJ as the Adidas".Okay. I stand corrected. Good find, L15.

- KK