PDA

View Full Version : Gosh darn it, do I grab a lighter stick?

meowmix
03-10-2009, 07:06 PM
To begin with, I play with a pair of Wilson Graphite Matrices- heavy, solid, 85 cm2 rackets. They play beautifully, flex great, nice power, heavenly feel. They're absolutely perfect... Except for one thing.

I play doubles for my school, and I can not volley for my life with this racket. It just seems... so clunky at net. I'm fine when I'm hitting those easy volleys, but on hard hit shots, I simply cannot get the frame in position. I'm mishitting very badly...

My question is- do I go back to one of my "older" frames (TT warrior, ipex 7.0), or do I simply play on, and try to avoid the net (as much as is possible)? I know that my technique is decent, as I never really had much trouble at the net in the past...

m1stuhxsp4rk5
03-10-2009, 07:14 PM
if your playing doubles the net is really important. you can try and react faster or try to find a racket similar to your wilson.

anirut
03-10-2009, 07:19 PM
I don't know if you should hang on to the Matrix or go back to the Warrior or ipex, but if you like that kind of feel in the Matrix but in a maneuverable, lighter, HL package, demo a Redondo mid.

I now play my Redondo mid with 15g multi (1.38 mm) at 58 lbs. Simply wonderful. Feels totally old school.

BTW, 58 lbs was when I got it strung. It should've dropped to around 55 by the time I played.

furyoku_tennis
03-10-2009, 07:23 PM
try adding lead to the handle to make it more head light. maybe it'll help with the maneuverability.

roundiesee
03-10-2009, 07:24 PM
I think the reason is that the racket is heavy and the head size is too small for reaction volleys. For tournament play, I think you should consider changing to a racket with a larger head size, say one of Wilson's 95 sq in frames, or Head's 98 sq in frames. You'd be surprised at how much easier it is to volley with a slightly bigger head. You can of course still use your favourite Matrix when you play in non competitive matches.
You should not avoid the net because volleying is such a key part of a successful doubles team.
BTW, are you able to post pics of your racket? Would love to see how it looks like, thanks!

ESP#1
03-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Its not uncommon to use a different stick for doubles, i use a slightly lighter racquet for dubs, i mean dubs is all about controlling the net if you cant volley with that stick then your not going to have success, at the same time you might want to practice your volleys with your new stick, i just dont think school matches is the best time to do that

fuzz nation
03-10-2009, 08:19 PM
If they don't work for you, well... either make them work or save them for special occasions. A good shot of lead on the handle is worth a try since you can peel it off if it doesn't help you.

I greatly improved a pair of LM Prestige mids that way, but even though they're around 12 pts. headlight, I'm not as fast with those frames as with some others up at net. Even though I love heft and stability, the sheer weight of these racquets just makes me too slow in a really quick exchange.

Even if the frame you use isn't spectacular in one or two ways, it can give you confidence if its performance is solid in every phase of your game.

Kevo
03-10-2009, 08:25 PM
First question your technique, then your racquet. Mishitting on hard hit volleys is not uncommon. Even with a large frame, many people mishit a well struck ground stroke. Excellent preparation and footwork is the main thing you need to hit those shots. If you are pretty sure your technique is good, then ask someone else who you trust to watch and critique. Then if you still think your technique is good, post a video. :-)

Schills
03-10-2009, 08:52 PM
try adding lead to the handle to make it more head light. maybe it'll help with the maneuverability.

Adding weight rarely, if ever, makes a racket more maneuverable. It just makes it heavier. If you can't get it in position now, making it heavier won't help.

mawashi
03-11-2009, 03:33 AM
I strongly believe that there is a certain range of weights (swing weight and or total weight) that a person can comfortably handle, any more and it be comes a real issue.

I love the heft n plow through of my AK90s but they are not really maneuverable for me at the net.

I guess that you have to find something that lets you play as well as you can in any position.

mawashi