PDA

View Full Version : Increasing grip size

houaj
03-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Can you increase the size of an 4 1/4 grip with a couple of thick overgrips?

SC in MA
03-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Check this out from the TW Learning Center: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/increasegripsize/increasegrip.html

gmlasam
03-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Yes you can, but if you put too many overgrips to your desired grip size, the grip will become too round in shape. Its fine to use overgrips if building up one size, but trying to build up two sizes and above using ovegrips will not be very good. You would need to use a heat shrink tubbing for this, the same tubbing you can purchase at your local electronic hobby store.

Revman
03-04-2005, 03:31 PM
You might want to consider removing the grip and using 1/16" strips of balsa wood to build up the grip (the balsa wood is available at craft stores). Heat shrinks add a significant amount of weight to the racket ... balsa strips will add much less.

richJ
03-05-2005, 02:05 AM
the more overgrips you add the rounder the handle becomes. I remove the leather grip and use tape (using the blue painters tape because it very light weight) and I apply lenghts of tape from start of the bevel on the flat side accross to the top of the bevel on the other side. I then to the other bevel back the other way. Using this system the top and bottom of the grip recieves two layers , the bevels recieve one and the sides stay flat. kind of turns the grip to head racquet type feel but gives you the confidence that your holding the frame in proper grip for the shot..