PDA

View Full Version : save a grommet = save a racquet!

Sandbug
03-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Hi All,

I'm currently using Babolat Aero Storm, strung with Luxilon Alu power rough tension 57/59. The strip of plastic material containing small tubes (one of them) that run through the frame's string holes has fail. The string is now resting directly on the racquet frame material. Due to this my string snaps very often and it always happens at the same spot, is there anything I can do to salvage the racquet? PLease help!!!!!!

Cheers,
Francis

Danstevens
03-11-2009, 01:25 AM
Just get your stringer to change the grommet in question. If you string for yourself, buy some grommets and put the suitable one in. For now, I'm going to advise you not to string the racket until the grommet is replaced - it won't be good for your wallet (replacing broken strings due to your broken grommet) and may hurt your racket.

Rorsach
03-11-2009, 01:38 AM
If it's only one grommet, just use a bit of tubing through that one.

origmarm
03-11-2009, 01:55 AM
Either buy a new grommet set (they are cheap and readily available) or just put some grommet tubing in.

Both are available from TW here:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/toolssupplies.html

AeroStorm here:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catpage-GROMBABOLAT.html (3rd from bottom)

Tubing here:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-TUBING.html

Cheers, Orig

furyoku_tennis
03-11-2009, 02:30 PM
definitely replace the grommet. you'll be happy you did in the long run.

Sandbug
03-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi All,

thanks for all the info! just a question, how can the grommet go thro the racquet frame holes when some of the tubes are bigger. You notice it on typical Babolat racquets!

Cheers,
Francis

meowmix
03-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Normally, they're not. You use something called a flare it tool to "flare the grommets". When you install the gromments, they grommets are normal tubes, with the same circumferance all the way around. After you've installed the grommets, you flare the grommets.

Sandbug
03-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Normally, they're not. You use something called a flare it tool to "flare the grommets". When you install the gromments, they grommets are normal tubes, with the same circumferance all the way around. After you've installed the grommets, you flare the grommets.

Wow,

very interesting and new to me. I'm not too sure if I can do it in Singapore! Do you know if there's any website thats shows me how to go abt getting this thing done? Thanks alot for all the suggestion

Cheers,
Francis

Sandbug
03-11-2009, 09:40 PM

in other words how do i flare the grommets?

mawashi
03-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Hi All,

I'm currently using Babolat Aero Storm, strung with Luxilon Alu power rough tension 57/59. The strip of plastic material containing small tubes (one of them) that run through the frame's string holes has fail. The string is now resting directly on the racquet frame material. Due to this my string snaps very often and it always happens at the same spot, is there anything I can do to salvage the racquet? PLease help!!!!!!

Cheers,
Francis

If you're here in S'pore what so difficult for you to get to the store you got the frame from n just replace the grommet? Places like queensway have a bunch of shops that sell the grommets.

mawashi

Bud
03-11-2009, 11:16 PM
in other words how do i flare the grommets?

Flare It - grommet tool.

Sandbug
03-12-2009, 08:44 AM
If you're here in S'pore what so difficult for you to get to the store you got the frame from n just replace the grommet? Places like queensway have a bunch of shops that sell the grommets.

mawashi

Great,

have you bought it from there before? Which shop if you know? Thanks heaps!

Cheers,
Francis

mawashi
03-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Great,

have you bought it from there before? Which shop if you know? Thanks heaps!

Cheers,
Francis

Yellow page galen sports in queensway.

mawashi