PDA

View Full Version : Question for Spencer - Wilson Kobra Tour

I am mentally tough!
03-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Hey Spencer!

I read in a different thread that you were having success with the Kobra Tour - could you please share your favorite string setup with this racquet, whether you have experimented with lead, and your overall experience with it? I recently tried it out and enjoyed it a lot, I really liked the solid response and found myself nailing shots consistently with it. The only negative I have found so far is the slight lack of feel on touch shots (compared to more 'classic player's' racquets), but I guess this is to be expected from the thick beam and I guess getting used to the feel will diminish this problem. I am still looking around, but it is definitely an interesting frame.

Your help is very much appreciated! Of course, if anyone else has had success with this frame and is willing to share their experiences that would be great too :)

crappyBackHand
03-11-2009, 08:37 AM
[k]opy tour is a more flexy version of the earo drive i think its more simular to the earo storm

TW Staff
03-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Hey Spencer!

I read in a different thread that you were having success with the Kobra Tour - could you please share your favorite string setup with this racquet, whether you have experimented with lead, and your overall experience with it? I recently tried it out and enjoyed it a lot, I really liked the solid response and found myself nailing shots consistently with it. The only negative I have found so far is the slight lack of feel on touch shots (compared to more 'classic player's' racquets), but I guess this is to be expected from the thick beam and I guess getting used to the feel will diminish this problem. I am still looking around, but it is definitely an interesting frame.

Your help is very much appreciated! Of course, if anyone else has had success with this frame and is willing to share their experiences that would be great too :)

I have found the best set-up for me to be a soft poly strung somewhere above mid tension (depending on the string). My favorite set-up right now would be with a full Polyfibre TCS strung @ 58 lbs. It gives good control and spin while maintaining enough power to be able to hit deep, defensive shots/shots on the run. I'll also add that TCS produces great spin...which is great for this racquet's open string pattern.

I have recently tried a natural gut(main)/poly hybrid(cross), and felt the string bed a bit too lively. It felt good, but I did tend to lose too many shots deep.

I have yet to modify the weight/specs of this racquet. Stock form is working for me, so I haven't gone that route.......yet.

Overall, for me, it's a combination of attributes of this stick that work for me and the success of my game. I've seen a lot of love/hate with it, just like most racquets, but I think it's a great stick for someone with a similar game to mine. I'm mainly a baseliner that plays good defense and gets to a lot of balls. I like the solid feel of this one and it has a healthy sweetspot. (great for me when I hit off-center). Directional control and spin are healthy. Power is good, and is there when needed. I feel I can crank up a serve when needed, while it provides a good kick when wanting to hit a kick serve.

Probably the number one reason I continue to use this racquet is the depth of solid groundstrokes I get. I tend to be the most consistent with deeper groundstrokes with the Kobra, hence helping my game become less defensive while looking for opportunities to be more offensive and aggressive.

You can always email me discussadmin@tennis-warehouse.com if you have any other questions or comments.

Thanks.

Spencer, TW.

Mdubb23
03-11-2009, 02:12 PM
I have found the best set-up for me to be a soft poly strung somewhere above mid tension (depending on the string). My favorite set-up right now would be with a full Polyfibre TCS strung @ 58 lbs. It gives good control and spin while maintaining enough power to be able to hit deep, defensive shots/shots on the run. I'll also add that TCS produces great spin...which is great for this racquet's open string pattern.

I have recently tried a natural gut(main)/poly hybrid(cross), and felt the string bed a bit too lively. It felt good, but I did tend to lose too many shots deep.

I have yet to modify the weight/specs of this racquet. Stock form is working for me, so I haven't gone that route.......yet.

Overall, for me, it's a combination of attributes of this stick that work for me and the success of my game. I've seen a lot of love/hate with it, just like most racquets, but I think it's a great stick for someone with a similar game to mine. I'm mainly a baseliner that plays good defense and gets to a lot of balls. I like the solid feel of this one and it has a healthy sweetspot. (great for me when I hit off-center). Directional control and spin are healthy. Power is good, and is there when needed. I feel I can crank up a serve when needed, while it provides a good kick when wanting to hit a kick serve.

Probably the number one reason I continue to use this racquet is the depth of solid groundstrokes I get. I tend to be the most consistent with deeper groundstrokes with the Kobra, hence helping my game become less defensive while looking for opportunities to be more offensive and aggressive.

You can always email me discussadmin@tennis-warehouse.com if you have any other questions or comments.

Thanks.

Spencer, TW.

Hey Spencer,

How flexy does it feel in stock form? My brother has been using the Pure Drive Cortex for a few years, and he's looking for a similarly spec'd tweener frame, (100 in head, slightly over 11 oz), except he likes somewhat of a stiffer feel, and, since you guys list the flex at 60, he was a little reluctant about even demoing it. And, in case you were wondering, he's only switching from the Pure Drive because Wilson offered him a full sponsorship instead of the two-thirds that Babo gave him (Wilson has this "sibling discount" type thing--since I get a full ride also with Wilson, he didn't have to be as highly-ranked to get free racquets).