PDA

View Full Version : Open Throat Racquets

tacoben
03-11-2009, 03:15 PM
When the Head/AMF first came out with the Head Vilas racquet (woodie), it seems that this was the turning point in the future of things to come in terms of racquet technology....a "game changer" so to speak. Later, Head came out with another open throated racquet, the Arthur Ashe model, while other companies such as Yamaha followed suit introducing their own line, the YFG 20, 30, 50 models. Later Prince came out with the oversize open throat, "Classic". Today, all racquets are open throat.

Researching the internet, I happen to come upon the earliest version of an open throat racquet from 1929.

http://www.driftwaycollection.com/rackets/open_throat.html

I'm just wondering why companies such as Wilson, Spalding, Tad Davis, Bancroft and others such as Donnay didn't adopt this technology any earlier? Tennis history buff, please chime in. Thanks!

jimbo333
03-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi there, try posting this in the "Classic Racquets Talk" forum, sure you'll get some answers there:)

Tennis_dude ^_^
03-11-2009, 06:55 PM
im thinking because they were already sucessful there there technology at the time
like motocross
when the four stroke came out from yamaha the other companies
were still on there two stroke
they figure why change now its still good
but when they realized that yamaha was starting to win races and moding there four strokes
honda then joined the four stroke and others followed
i guess the tecnology in tennis was starting to beat other players so bad that they adopted the idea
a guess though