PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar w/Prince Graphite Comp (circa 80s, matte black with green pinstripe)?

Keifers
03-11-2009, 04:57 PM
I believe there was a 110 and a 90. Was there fiberglass in the composition? How did it play compared with the POG? Any other info?

Thanks.

plasma
03-11-2009, 05:28 PM
softer than the pog, available in 90 and 110, I think the one with the palstic throat bridge was amazing, if it's the same one...the thraot bride was a great dampener.

Geoff
03-11-2009, 05:30 PM
I believe there was a 100 and a 90. Was there fiberglass in the composition? How did it play compared with the POG? Any other info?

Thanks.

Hello

I played with this frame in the early 80's (1983) when it first came out. Originally it was individual replaceable grommets as in the Precision Graphite, Graphite and Boron model. There was not a midsize (90) version until circa 1984-85 when Prince launched midsize (90) and supersize (125). The 90s were launched in the Pro, Magnesium, Graphite, Precision Graphite and Graphite Comp. The Rackets then came equipped with modern day bumpers and grommets for the first time. The Graphite Comp was stiffer than the Graphite especially in the head. The composition was 80% graphite and 20% fiberglass. The graphite fibers were supposedly layed in radially (like a tire) as opposed to longitudinally (length of the racket). Therefore this frame was only offered in a 90 and 110 version. It also came with a very high quality leather grip which was the norm in the 80's.

AndrewD
03-11-2009, 06:04 PM
softer than the pog, available in 90 and 110, I think the one with the palstic throat bridge was amazing, if it's the same one...the thraot bride was a great dampener.

No, you're thinking of the Precision - another excellent Prince racquet although not one of my favourites. The Prince Graphite Comp had no throat bridge.

http://www.80s-tennis.com/pages/prince_1983-4.html

The Graphite Comp was stiffer than the Graphite especially in the head. The composition was 80% graphite and 20% fiberglass.

The Graphite Comp was (still is) more flexible than the Graphite although I do agree that more of the flex is in the throat (a legacy of there being no bridge). The 20% fibreglass gave it that extra flex. You can see a rendering of the flex ratings in this magazine lift-out:
http://www.80s-tennis.com/pages/prince_1983-5.html

I've still got the Graphite Comp 110 series and believe that it is one of the three best racquets Prince ever made (along with the POG OS when it was still 8-10pts HL and the POG Mid). Absolutely beautiful to play with from the baseline, excellent power level, hits a very heavy ball, easy to control and good feel/touch (thanks to the flex). Lacks the wild spin of the POG OS and doesn't have near as much power. However, if you like a bit more flex in a racquet it's tough to beat. Since I started playing tennis again, 5 years ago, I've been trying to find an adequate replacement. The closest I got was the Diablo MP but even that is light-years removed from the Graphite Comp 110 (a deceptive number as the head size is closer to the Diablo MP than the POG OS).

Always makes me incredibly envious of you guys who live in the States and how readily available (at such cheap prices ) those great old racquets are. If I were there I'd have stocked up on the Graphite Comp 110, the early model POG OS and the Wilson Sting Midsize (- I see them all going for around $50, sometimes less). Wouldn't have needed anything else.

jimbo333
03-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks for reminding me about this one, probably my favourite series 90 Prince frame:)

I'm gonna give mine a go, along with a few other classics, if the weather is OK on friday. Really looking forward to it now:):)

plasma
03-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Drew D you're right, it is the precision graphite I'm thinking of! DOH! Back in the day Prince was sooo respected, such a top company. 4 stripe prince graphite and mag pro 90 are some of the best racquets ever made. Precision graphite was an awesome and comfy machine as well. Thanks for the clarification...how ironic that the comp was stiffer than the series 90
http://i39.tinypic.com/11trbwj.jpg

AndrewD
03-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Drew D you're right, it is the precision graphite I'm thinking of! DOH! Back in the day Prince was sooo respected, such a top company. 4 stripe prince graphite and mag pro 90 are some of the best racquets ever made. Precision graphite was an awesome and comfy machine as well. Thanks for the clarification...how ironic that the comp was stiffer than the series 90
http://i39.tinypic.com/11trbwj.jpg

The Precision was also, if my memory serves, named something like 'Racquet of the Year' or just 'Editors Choice' back in the day when Tennis Magazine was a respected publication. It always got great reviews but, strangely, Pam Shriver was the only player I can recall using it (those being the days when Prince OS frames were readily adopted by the elite players). Of course, the Graphite Comp wasn't overly popular either. Apart from Andrea Temesvari, Shriver (very, very briefly) and Mark Kratzmann (used the mid) all of the Prince players seemed to gravitate towards the POG or the Boron.

A quick look through the big auction site tells me that, were I living in the States, I could have thrown down the grand sum of $150 and picked up 2 Graphite Comps, 2 Sting Midsize and 2 POG OS. Over the past 5 years I've spent, at least 10 times that much buying racquets I ultimately couldn't stand due to their lack of feel. Think I might just find a corner of the room, adopt the foetal position and cry.

gsquicksilver
03-11-2009, 09:41 PM
i got one for sale if anyone is interested :)

plasma
03-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Drew D you are totally right. The best thing about vintage is that they play 10 times better than modern racquets. I've never been able to use anything above 85 suqare inches and 88 is currently the smallest manufactured. Remeber Eric Korita cranking 140 mph serves with the Prince Boron? Shriver (and Navratilova in dubs) kicked some serious booty, as did Sabatinni and Agassi with their POG's.

Keifers
03-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Many thanks, guys. Great info.

Geoff and Andrew,
Did you ever play with the Graphite Comp 90? How did it compare with the 110?

jmjmkim
03-11-2009, 11:59 PM
The Original Graphite was the best .

AndrewD
03-12-2009, 01:14 AM
Many thanks, guys. Great info.

Geoff and Andrew,
Did you ever play with the Graphite Comp 90? How did it compare with the 110?

The 90 was more controlled, not unlike any 90sq Prince vs its 107/110 brother. However, for me, I didn't find the same pleasing 'flex' in the mid that I get from the OS.

retrowagen
03-12-2009, 12:37 PM
I believe there was a 100 and a 90. Was there fiberglass in the composition? How did it play compared with the POG? Any other info?

Thanks.

As the others have said, it was a 80% graphite/20% fiberglass composite. The oversize measured closer to 100 sq-in than 110. The first version had individual grommets and no bumper guard, then grommet strips were introduced, then in 1985 or 19866 a bumper guard was added. The 90-sq-in "Midplus" (as it was marketed at the time!) was added to the line-up for 1986. Both of the original Comp models were pulled from the Prince line-up after 1987.

Mark Kratzmann (AUS) was the only ATP pro I recall using the Comp, in its OS form.

in 1986, I trained quite a bit with a German ITF juniors player who was highly ranked in his home country (and played Jr. Davis Cup doubles with a certain B. Becker prior to his turning pro). He received a nice box from Prince monthly with a couple new frames, along with a box from Adidas with outfits and shoes... This guy swore by his Prince Comp Oversizes; I tried them and at the time didn't like them. However, a couple years ago, I found a nice 1986 or 1987 OS example and played quite a bit with it. I'd have to say it ranks as my favorite Prince racquet. Overall, it played quite a bit like a Fischer Vacuum Pro Classic 98: good, controlled feel with some heft and balance, and decent manoeuverability for an OS/MP frame. Not at all a bad hit for an all-round player who depends on moderate-to heavy topspin off the ground.

The "Series 90" version is actually rather rare. It was only manufactured for little over one year and was overshadowed in the marketplace by the more expensive Graphite Series 90 and the cheaper Magnesium Series 90 (which Prince claimed had similar playability, stiffness, and other attributes as the Comp, for a fraction of the price).

I really like the playability of these classic 80's 80/20 comps. The Wilson Jack Kramer Staff is another such sweet playing racket that does everything so well, returning amazing ball feel and such a "friendly" experience.

Keifers
03-12-2009, 03:06 PM
The 90 was more controlled, not unlike any 90sq Prince vs its 107/110 brother. However, for me, I didn't find the same pleasing 'flex' in the mid that I get from the OS.
Thanks, Andrew. Cheers.

Keifers
03-12-2009, 03:20 PM
As the others have said, it was a 80% graphite/20% fiberglass composite. The oversize measured closer to 100 sq-in than 110. The first version had individual grommets and no bumper guard, then grommet strips were introduced, then in 1985 or 19866 a bumper guard was added. The 90-sq-in "Midplus" (as it was marketed at the time!) was added to the line-up for 1986. Both of the original Comp models were pulled from the Prince line-up after 1987.

I really like the playability of these classic 80's 80/20 comps. The Wilson Jack Kramer Staff is another such sweet playing racket that does everything so well, returning amazing ball feel and such a "friendly" experience.
Thanks for the great information, retrowagen. Just curious, are you refering to the Midsize or 110 Jack Kramer Staff? (The maroon-colored one, right?)

Back to the Prince racquets, only when I read your first paragraph did I realize that I typed 100 in my original post, when I meant 110. It's interesting that you say the Comp measures closer to 100, because in the Prince literature Andrew refers us to (below), the Comp does look smaller in head size than the Graphite.

http://www.80s-tennis.com/pages/prince_1983-4.html

jimbo333
03-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Well it's the Series 90 version of the Graphite Comp that I'll be hitting with tomorrow, weather permitting, will let you know how it goes:)

Keifers
03-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Well it's the Series 90 version of the Graphite Comp that I'll be hitting with tomorrow, weather permitting, will let you know how it goes:)
We're looking forward to hearing about it, Jimbo. Hope it's a great, fun hit.

Virginia
03-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Is yours a beautiful electric blue, jimbo?

AndrewD
03-12-2009, 06:59 PM
It's interesting that you say the Comp measures closer to 100, because in the Prince literature Andrew refers us to (below), the Comp does look smaller in head size than the Graphite.

That's what caught me out when I was trying to replace it. As the racquet has printed on its side, 'Series 110' I automatically assumed it was an OS. Bought the POG OS and couldn't work out why it just didn't sit the same way in my hand. Placing the two against each other showed the difference. It isn't a huge difference but it is a difference all the same.

As for the Graphite Comp 110 being 100sq, I don't think that's exactly correct. The Diablo MP is supposed to be 100sq and the Graphite Comp 110, when placed against it, is noticeably larger. However, it (the Comp) is also noticeably smaller than the POG OS. That being the case, if the Diablo MP is really 100sq then I would be more inclined to call the Graphite Comp 102 sq and the POG OS 107 sq.

Here's a pic of the Graphite Comp 110 compared to the Diablo MP
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/AndrewDtw/Picture007.jpg

Here's a pic of the Graphite Comp 110 compared to the POG OS
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/AndrewDtw/Picture008.jpg

Here's a pic of all three in comparison
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/AndrewDtw/Picture006.jpg

(** I've tried to re-size the images to 800x600 as requested by Virginia. If they're still too big, let me know***)

Virginia
03-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Justine? I should be so lucky - as far as the backhand is concerned, at least hehe!

Actually, it's only the large photos that are actually in the thread that are the problem, as they slow down the whole page load, expecially if people quote them as well. Links are fine. :)

Princegod
03-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Prince "110 OS" rackets are in the 106-107 sq.in. range. Someone measured a POG OS with CAD in the main Racquets section and it came out to be 106 sq. in.. A few of my Prince Precision OS frames have 107 sq. in printed on the frame which date about 10 years ago. Not sure whether any of the oversize graphite frames that Prince made were ever 110 sq.in.. 110 series was just a round number for marketing and same with the 90 series.

Princegod
03-12-2009, 07:34 PM
The Comp does seem like an oddball. It looks like it might be 102-103 sq. in.. Technically not even an oversize racket. :)

robby c
03-12-2009, 07:37 PM
The Graphite Comp 110 is my favorite racquet. It was solid and vibration free. I volley'd better with it than any racquet I've owned. Great for heavy kick serves. Strung it with Prince Synthetic 16ga at 66 lbs. I bought mine in the Army in 1986. When I got out I couldn't find them in stores. I played that frame till '92 when it broke. Never found a stick as good. If Prince brought them back I'd buy.
Robby C

AndrewD
03-12-2009, 07:44 PM
The Comp does seem like an oddball. It looks like it might be 102-103 sq. in.. Technically not even an oversize racket. :)

I think that's why it's so good. Unlike other OS frames it didn't suffer from the same 'trampoline' effect. However, it doesn't have the same power as the POG OS which is, I'm sure, what people were looking for. Also, if I were to have the racquet's balance tested I'm sure I'd find that it was only about 4-5pts HL, as opposed to the POG OS's 8-10pts HL. That's why the Graphite Comp 110 excels from the back of the court but isn't quite so good up at net - a little sluggish on volleys.

In essence, the Graphite Comp is a truly modern racquet. Head size in the 98-102sq range, not overly head light, open but not hugely open string pattern. Designed more for hitting from the baseline than rushing the net.

jimbo333
03-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Is yours a beautiful electric blue, jimbo?

No, mine is the first "Series 90" version from about 85/86 I think? It's not the later blue one it's the black with green/gold stripes with the head bumper. Weather looks bad friday:( So looks like will have to wait until Sunday to hit with it, and I'm looking forward to it:)

pshulam
03-13-2009, 03:34 PM
I just get one (Graphite Comp Series 90) from **** and plan to play with it tonight.

iksmols
06-12-2009, 11:10 AM
I just got 2 of these from the auction site for 25 $

Bud
06-12-2009, 02:21 PM
I just got 2 of these from the auction site for 25 $.

Mids or OS?

iksmols
06-12-2009, 02:45 PM
I believe they are the OS . Here is the item # 170343295580

goldenyama
06-20-2009, 03:38 AM
I have an original (bumperless) 110 and used it as my main stick for a month or so. It is incredibly flexy - I mean really flexy and low powered. I think the headsize is actually more like 105. It is fantastic for my TE but in the end I found the combination of extreme flex and very thin beam to be just a tad too underpowered. Great stick though.

Colpo
06-24-2009, 10:43 AM
The Comp/Graphite Comp/Graphite Composite was part of Prince's line from @ '82-'86. It was either an 80/20 or 75/25 graphite/glas composite. Designed as a more flexible (and cheaper, but not much) alternative to the POG, Prince nonetheless marketed the Comp as a strong man's frame with "extra" graphite in "key" stress areas, whatever that means. I've got a late-model 110 pair that I take out every so often - heavy but head-light, very solid feel, plays like an 18 mm. profile despite the 110 head - almost whippy.

BigHitterSE
06-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Prince Graphite Comp was a great racquet. Used by a lot of college players back in the day.

ollinger
07-03-2009, 07:25 PM
The oversize Graphite Comp was one of only two racquets that ever cracked on me, close to the throat. A decent racquet, not nearly as fine a performer as the POG.

stapletonj
07-04-2009, 04:47 PM
best feel, etc of any stick I ever played with was the spectrum comp 110. "Old whitey" took me to a 4.0 singles/4.5 doubles rating when I was young and could still move. Man, I miss that racquet.

plasma
07-05-2009, 04:15 AM
More importantly than the stats, the Prince Comp was a players racquet for college and club players. Back then we were happy with normal shoes, normally priced. We knew that we weren't touring pros and didn't need to use their equipment to make us feel better, or make us forget who we really were.
Not everyone was a rockstar back then. Seeing a ps 85 or a Prince graphite was like seeing something special. Not everyone bought the most expensive racquet back then, so seeing one was....amazing.
My Friends like KHW who are under 30 are growing up in a different dimension than I grew up in. Consumerism has taken such an authentic and huge part of who we are; I couldn't even explain it in words.

iksmols
08-05-2009, 04:45 PM
I have 2 of them listed in " for sale " section.

dokjem
03-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Hei guys...are you all talking about this racquets ? :???:

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/dokjem/Raket%201/Prince_GraphComp.jpg

dokjem
03-14-2010, 08:20 AM
mine is made from 90s..as its says on the inner throat Prince Patented (R) 1990

pshulam
03-14-2010, 10:41 AM
I had a similar one in different color - metallic bluish-green.

dokjem
03-16-2010, 02:44 AM
another version of Prince Graphite Comp

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/dokjem/Raket%201/PG1.jpg
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/dokjem/Raket%201/Prince.jpg

123ten
08-14-2010, 03:49 PM
http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr185/regisk04/3xPrince%20Comp/IMG_5676.jpg

The Graphite Comp OS is a superb racquet. The first generation of this OS (~1983-86) had Graphite Comp or Graphite Composite on the side and it had a thinner beam (around 18mm) and a smaller head size (~100-102). The later model (Series 110 on the side) has a thicker beam (aound 21-22mm) and slightly larger head size (~102-104).

BTW, both these versions play great. If anyone is interested I have listed 3 of them (all 4 3/8 ) for sale - http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=341918

--