PDA

View Full Version : New Player Racquet Question, Quality or Quantity

Empy
03-11-2009, 04:29 PM
As a new player what racquet should I be looking to buy, the best racquet i can afford or an older model that i can buy two or three of? I have played a little tennis and recently got an itch to start playing just need help on which racquets to demo

Would you recommend buying an expensive racquet right off the bat like a Babolat Pure Drive or Head Microgel Prestige or buy a few older models like the Prince O3 series?

I'm planning on taking private lessons over the summer and joining my high schools tennis team in fall. Also the closest place to get a good job on a restring is about 30 mins away. (sucks living in a small town)

I plan a demoing a few racquets in the next few days but would like some advice on if i should demo the top of the line or older model raquets.

(first post so go easy if i said/missed something obvious)

ag200boy
03-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey!

Your question basically comes down to which racquets you like best, older models are by no means worse then newer models. In many cases, the older models are actually better then newer models. But if you want a specific recommendation, you will need to provide some information on your playing style, etc.

Welcome to the forums!

Jonny S&V
03-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Yeah, a little background into your experience would help. I must say that your first post was quite thorough.

Tennis_dude ^_^
03-11-2009, 04:36 PM
hey i dunno how much you want to take tenis seriously
but the best for a begginer is a players racket
i think if you can take the weight, it will be perfect for you
people might think im crazy but it makes sence when you think about it
when i was new to tennis my firest racket was the prostaff original
and thanks to its unforgivness, i got better really quickly
i was beating people my first 6 months of tennis (only because i practice tennis like crazy lived it and breathed it)
but thats if your determind

if you can't handel it or your just not that patient, i say go with a racket like the aerodrive, lighter and more of a head sizes
even though its a players racket, its more lighter and better forgivness

don't go with an expensive beginner racket cause youll regret it
if anything ust go with a walmart racket if nothing else

but i think players rackets are the way to go, and practice practice
it really works

mawashi
03-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Welcome,

From your post you seem pretty sure of the player frames you have chosen so as some of the other posters here a description of your playing level would be better.

As a new player getting a really expensive frame is a waste of time as they're going to be replaced next season anyway.

What you want is to see what your game style & level is, find a frame suitable to it n lets you grow into it.

Decent player or tweener frames are a good choice.

Tweeners like the Yonex RDS003, Head LM 4 or LM Radical MP are good starting options.

Good player's frames like the N95, Prince Diablo MP, Mid or the POG series.

Personally I love Yonex frames n you can get a really good px for the 07 rds models like the Rds003, Rds002T n Rds001.

mawashi

Tennis_dude ^_^
03-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Welcome,

From your post you seem pretty sure of the player frames you have chosen so as some of the other posters here a description of your playing level would be better.

As a new player getting a really expensive frame is a waste of time as they're going to be replaced next season anyway.

What you want is to see what your game style & level is, find a frame suitable to it n lets you grow into it.

Decent player or tweener frames are a good choice.

Tweeners like the Yonex RDS003, Head LM 4 or LM Radical MP are good starting options.

Good player's frames like the N95, Prince Diablo MP, Mid or the POG series.

Personally I love Yonex frames n you can get a really good px for the 07 rds models like the Rds003, Rds002T n Rds001.

mawashi

yeah these are pretty good
just not rackets like wilson k factor one
with the huge heads and way too babyish racket

SVP
03-11-2009, 06:31 PM
No offense meant here, but have you been assured of a place on the team?

meowmix
03-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Don't worry about price, worry more about what you like. If it so happens that you find that you really like an expensive racket, buy one now, and buy another 6 months down the road. Chances are, the racket will be around 1/2 off by then.

Empy
03-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Sounds like everyone is asking for my experience in tennis, which sadly isn't much :oops: The last time i played a "real" game was probably over a year ago sadly. I now mostly will just mess around with friends or hit against the wall now.

Tomorrow i'm going to meet with an older man (in his 70's) who said he would give me some pointers on grips and things like that. Once i talk/play a little with him ill post a more accurate description of play style. From what i hear hes played tennis for awhile and has some abbreviated title but i haven't talked to him yet so this is all rumors.

Right now i have a 20$ racquet from Wal-Mart that's heavy and makes vibrations in your hand every time you hit the ball. It hurt my arms for awhile but i have gotten a little use to it.

Thanks for saying some racquets that you think would be good for me. I have been looking at the information about them and looking at other racquets with similar specs and reading reviews and noting what the pro's and con's are to see what i think would work best for me.

Also my spot on the team isn't assured but the high school coach is the one giving me private lessons over the summer and coming from a small town basically everyone who trys out makes the team. That's probably the reason they had their first winning season in 10 years last year with a record of 8-7

Keep the advice coming its helping!

fuzz nation
03-11-2009, 07:41 PM
I'd recommend that you stay away from expensive gear that might be considered "top of the line". A higher price tag has no relation to how well a racquet will suit you.

One or two of our pals have already suggested the Head LM Radical midplus, which is easily one of the best values at TW right now. I used to have a pair of them myself and I think that frame deserves some serious consideration.

Jim A
03-11-2009, 09:08 PM
when you demo the racquets get a decent cross section of beam widths, construction, string pattern and weight..that will give you some insight as to what you like

I've never been able to play with a 18/19mm beam..it just doesn't work for me, everyone is different