PDA

View Full Version : Open Throat Racquets

tacoben
03-12-2009, 05:51 AM
When the Head/AMF first came out with the Head Vilas racquet (woodie), it seems that this was the turning point in the future of things to come in terms of racquet technology....a "game changer" so to speak. Later, Head came out with another open throated racquet, the Arthur Ashe model, while other companies such as Yamaha followed suit introducing their own line, the YFG 20, 30, 50 models. Later Prince came out with the oversize open throat, "Classic". Today, all racquets are open throat.

Researching the internet, I happen to come upon the earliest version of an open throat racquet from 1929.

http://www.driftwaycollection.com/ra...en_throat.html

I'm just wondering why companies such as Wilson, Spalding, Tad Davis, Bancroft and others such as Donnay failed to jump at this advancement any earlier? Tennis history buff, please chime in. Thanks!

Nuke
03-12-2009, 06:47 AM
The open-throat Wilson T-2000 was introduced in 1968.

vwfye
03-12-2009, 07:39 AM
and my Prince Mono 650's aren't open throat.

vsbabolat
03-12-2009, 08:06 AM
When the Head/AMF first came out with the Head Vilas racquet (woodie), it seems that this was the turning point in the future of things to come in terms of racquet technology....a "game changer" so to speak. Later, Head came out with another open throated racquet, the Arthur Ashe model, while other companies such as Yamaha followed suit introducing their own line, the YFG 20, 30, 50 models. Later Prince came out with the oversize open throat, "Classic". Today, all racquets are open throat.

Researching the internet, I happen to come upon the earliest version of an open throat racquet from 1929.

I'm just wondering why companies such as Wilson, Spalding, Tad Davis, Bancroft and others such as Donnay failed to jump at this advancement any earlier? Tennis history buff, please chime in. Thanks!

Actually the HEAD Arthur Ashe Competition came out years before the HEAD Vilas.

Capt. Willie
03-12-2009, 11:47 AM
The Dayton Steel racquets which I believe first came out in the 1930s had an open throat. They also beat out the Lacoste/Wilson T2000 steel racquet by about 30 years.

jimbo333
03-12-2009, 03:29 PM
The Birmal Aluminium racquets came out in the 1920's, some of these have an open throat!!!

I have a few of these:)

Capt. Willie
03-12-2009, 07:03 PM
The Birmal Aluminium racquets came out in the 1920's, some of these have an open throat!!!

I have a few of these:)

Wow, I never heard of those. Is it all alumium or is the shaft wood? The Dayton had the steel head and a few inches down the throat where it than connected to a wood shaft. Post some pics if you can, I'd love to see it.

jimbo333
03-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Yeah, they are the same as the Daytons, in that they have wood handles, but have an all aluminium frame, again with the piano wire strings. Oh, and when I said I had a few, realised I only have 2 of these:( And don't even get me started on the photos, having a few problems there:( However, SOON I will get this sorted, and display my racquets here:)

joe sch
03-12-2009, 08:50 PM

One of the most famous open throat rackets, and very similar to the standard head woody of the later 1900s, is the Bill Tilden Top Flite circa 1930:

http://www.woodtennis.com/tildenTopFlite1933.jpg

The majority of the wood rackets were mono shaft designs not sure why the open throats really did not become the common design till later in the graphite era.

Capt. Willie
03-15-2009, 07:29 PM

The majority of the wood rackets were mono shaft designs not sure why the open throats really did not become the common design till later in the graphite era.

If I could toss my theory out here...perhaps the early open throat wood racquets were not very durable and cracked easily? The latter open throat wood racquets all had inlays of graphite (or boron) which not only made them stiffer and more powerful but also more durable.