PDA

View Full Version : Seeking HEAVY Racket for control/feel/comfort

prayingd
03-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Hi folks!

I'm a former mainly baseliner/moderate all court player (4.0) seeking to return to the game after a 7 year layoff (55 yrs old). I have not kept up with rackets, but have typically played best with heavier rackets (13.5 oz range). Power is nice, but I have beaten FAR more opponents by keeping the ball deep to center (with the occasional lob thrown in) than with blazing pace and service winners. (I'm one of the old school hackers that enjoys long rallies!)

I do not even mind (much) getting blown out by power players, as long as I can hit a lot of shots and make the match last. The most frequent comment I use to hear from superior players was "I may have won, but I have never hit more groundstrokes in my life!" (One 5.5 NCAA college player used those very words after beating me 6-2 and 6-0 in 1 hr. 40 min.)

For right now, I will likely add lead to my current rackets (currently 11.5 oz). But I am looking for something heavier with CONTROL, FEEL and COMFORT.

Any good suggestions are appreciated... even if referring to a "discontinued" racket that can still be found new.

fuzz nation
03-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Wow, that bold lettering in your post made me back away from my monitor!:shock:

One heavier racquet that I haven't sampled yet is the Boris Becker 11 Special Edition. Looking at the spec's on it, there's some flex (probably comfortable) and some decent heft in there. I have a pair of Head LM Prestige mids that I needed to lead up in the handles for better balance and they weigh 13.4 oz., but I don't see too many of them in the used market these days.

vkartikv
03-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Prokennex makes a Players Edition of the 5G an Ki5. The K6.1X is also a good frame.

bad_call
03-12-2009, 09:46 AM
sounds like u need a C10 Pro 98. suggest u look in the For Sale section here as a few come up now and again. this somewhat overweight older 4.0 player keeps one of those in the racquet bag. :) btw - nice to have another elderly player out on the courts.

logansc
03-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Try the Wilson KProstaff, the Prince Graphite Mid or the Volkl C10 Pro.

LeeD
03-12-2009, 10:05 AM
I think a softer, heavier racket than mentioned is a Dunlop 200. At 12.1 oz, very soft frame and soft head, easy on the arm and joints, and 95sq in.

Tennis_dude ^_^
03-12-2009, 10:09 AM
try the pirnce exo3 rebel
OMG
the feel rocks
and there is awesome control there

furyoku_tennis
03-12-2009, 11:12 AM
check out the ki 5 pse. it sounds like everything you asked for.

nate_malone
03-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Get the K6.1 95 16 by 18. Great racket and weighs 12.3 ounces strung.

MrBen
03-12-2009, 11:29 PM
I think something along the lines of the K6.1 would be a good racquet for you.

blue12
03-12-2009, 11:36 PM
The Dunlop aerogel 200 is maybe 11.9 oz., I love it.
If you want something a little weightier try the Head microgel prestige mid it's pretty awesome too.
Or
The wilson KPS 88

Dot
03-13-2009, 09:33 AM
sounds like u need a C10 Pro 98. suggest u look in the For Sale section here as a few come up now and again. this somewhat overweight older 4.0 player keeps one of those in the racquet bag. :) btw - nice to have another elderly player out on the courts.

I'm a former 5.o player mid forties and overweight! just getting back in the game (about 8 months now) The C10 98 is a great frame if your stroke mechanics are sound... feels old school. I tried a bunch of more "modern frames" head fxp instinct, prince hybrid O3, head microgel extreme, (and nearly needed a divorce lawyer!) I had lots of arm problems until I went back to prince graphites and leaded up radical microgels, just trying the c10's and think these might be the magic solution! Great to hear of more people getting back to the game, keep those young guys running regardless of the score!

hoodjem
03-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Unh. (Grunt) Me caveman. Me wantum heavy racquet.

Me get kPS 88. Put lead all over. Hit much heavy balls.

bad_call
03-13-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm a former 5.o player mid forties and overweight! just getting back in the game (about 8 months now) The C10 98 is a great frame if your stroke mechanics are sound... feels old school. I tried a bunch of more "modern frames" head fxp instinct, prince hybrid O3, head microgel extreme, (and nearly needed a divorce lawyer!) I had lots of arm problems until I went back to prince graphites and leaded up radical microgels, just trying the c10's and think these might be the magic solution! Great to hear of more people getting back to the game, keep those young guys running regardless of the score!

for sure, for sure!! however when they get me running, it quickly goes downhill. :cry: it's all good tho...so long as no trips to the ER...unless Izzy is attending to me. :)

prayingd
03-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Fellow “strokers”,

After analyzing the great suggestions and picking straws (not really), I settled on and ordered a Volkl C10 PRO (pre-2008 version). From the suggestions and additional research, it sounds as if it is a heftier racquet with medium power (I am having it strung at 54 LBS to help a bit), great control, and perhaps most importantly (for a 54 year old with a somewhat abused body) -- easy on the arm/elbow.

I will add a play review in a week or two...

Thanks again!

larry10s
03-20-2009, 09:42 AM
VANTAGE the 330 gm 95 strung with overgrip and dampener is 12.5oz. very arm friendly

FraNkcn
03-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Yeah either that KPS88 or the K90 would be an excellent choice if you're looking for the most amount of control, and feel. As for comfort, when you get more in the groove (unless you never lost it) the comfort is phenomenal.

The_Question
03-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Maybe look into Pro Kennex Redondo 93 or Wilson K factor K six-one Tour...