PDA

View Full Version : MicroGel™ Radical MP or K Blade 98

andres17
03-12-2009, 11:17 AM
I am thinking about switching to either one. I have read a lot on them and they seem like the same choice. I would like to demo them but it is rlly hard to demo here in Canada specifically in the are where I live since the closest place the demoes is about an hour away.

My main reason for switching is a bit more control than my current aeropro drive and also a bit less head weight, something that is a bit lighter but not so much that it will give me injuries.

Also which racquet is good as you keep improving and build you overall game such as volleys and parts of the game that are usually ignored.

furyoku_tennis
03-12-2009, 11:28 AM
i would say go with the radical. it's good on many levels as you improve and you can also put cap grommets on it and experiment.

Tennis_dude ^_^
03-12-2009, 11:45 AM
yeah i agree with him
radical all the way

zachattack698
03-12-2009, 12:15 PM
i currently use the k blade 98 and love it but have never played with a head. Your best bet would be to demo the two. I know you said its hard, does tennis warehouse demo program work for you in canada?

rxblitzrx
03-12-2009, 03:38 PM
i would say go with the radical. it's good on many levels as you improve and you can also put cap grommets on it and experiment.

what are cap grommets?

rxblitzrx
03-12-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm definitely going to demo the MicroGel Radical MP and OS within the next week. I'm on spring break so I plan to get my money's worth out of this demo.

furyoku_tennis
03-12-2009, 05:06 PM
what are cap grommets?

its the grommets that come with the prestige line. it covers the side of the racquet as well. you can see it on TW's website if you click on one of the prestiges.

vtc
03-12-2009, 05:48 PM
How about the liquidmetal radical. it is deffinitly cheaper and I always thought it was a much better racquet.

nate_malone
03-12-2009, 06:48 PM
That's a tough choice, the rackets are almost identical. Same weight, headsize. I would go with the Radical because it is less stiff and has a lower swing weight.

bertrevert
03-12-2009, 08:02 PM
On paper seems same, in hand very different.

THink the MG Rad is underpowered, small sweet spot, lacks spin. So what it is good at is flat hitting, angles, touch play. Don't recall blasting serves. More control. But lighter overall.

KB98 bit more spin, quality feel, little less control (less depth control, less up the line lasers) but a bit more on serves.

Coming from the Bab it seems to me you could do well to find soemthing within the Bab line - afterall all the main manufacturers try to cover all the similar bases.

amx13
03-12-2009, 08:48 PM
I would also go for the Radical. I switched from the old aeropro (the black one) and its a far superior frame IMO, better feel, a lot softer, and with tons more of control. (less spin potential though)

How about the liquidmetal radical. it is deffinitly cheaper and I always thought it was a much better racquet.

Have you tried both the MG and LM radical mp? I wonder how they compare with eachother, specially since you can get the LM so cheap nowadays. :)

rxblitzrx
03-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Have you tried both the MG and LM radical mp? I wonder how they compare with eachother, specially since you can get the LM so cheap nowadays. :)

Question isn't directed to me, but I'll throw my two cents in. I strung my friends LM Radical and I hated it. I did my own little test with it after I was done and it felt really nasty.

1. Too head heavy for my taste.
2. Seems to have a small sweet spot. When I hit the sweet spot though, it felt like..... well, liquid. It was actually a really cool feeling. If the dumb thing wasn't so heavy, it might have been fun.
3. Too stiff.

LM Radical and MG Radical have totally different specs. Compare a) stiffness b) swingweight and you're already in a totally different racquet.

I really like the numbers on the MG Radical because it's got a lower swingweight. My racquet (in sig) is super easy to swing, but can be TOO easy at times. Moving up to 315 from 303 might be perfect for me since I"m also moving down in static weight from 11.8 to 11.1.

Gugafan
03-12-2009, 09:21 PM
I dont think the MG Radical has the best spec for those who use a one handed backhand. The racquet was nowhere near enough head light. My one handed backhand was not whippy or as penetrating as my current stick the MGPMP.

Though, the relatively low SW of the MG Radical made it a very manouverable stick allowing me to get alot more balls back then usual.

imalil2gangsta4u
03-12-2009, 09:50 PM
On paper seems same, in hand very different.

THink the MG Rad is underpowered, small sweet spot, lacks spin. So what it is good at is flat hitting, angles, touch play. Don't recall blasting serves. More control. But lighter overall.

KB98 bit more spin, quality feel, little less control (less depth control, less up the line lasers) but a bit more on serves.

Coming from the Bab it seems to me you could do well to find soemthing within the Bab line - afterall all the main manufacturers try to cover all the similar bases.

My exact same thoughts about the radical mp. My friend has one and sometimes we will trade rackets while hitting. Everytime i use it i cant get the ball deep, the spin is harder than usually to get even for a 18x20, and the sweet spot is pretty small.

antgun007
03-12-2009, 10:09 PM
I would 100% pick the kblade 98. this is a great racket. isn't the radical an imitation of the kblade 98 or is it the prestige?

NoNameZ
03-12-2009, 10:26 PM
I would 100% pick the kblade 98. this is a great racket. isn't the radical an imitation of the kblade 98 or is it the prestige?

that's actually a little off. the radical came first, and the nblade was the copy of the radical, so the kblade is a copy of the radical. the kblade tour is the lighter version of the prestige line.

BTW i would choose radical :)

lawlitssoo1n
03-12-2009, 10:34 PM
i've hit with both of the rackets you are choosing from
i think the head radical is a lot better than the kblade 98, and with only 4 pts HL, it feels weird for me when i hit.

Toxicmilk
03-12-2009, 10:45 PM
I didn't really love both these racquets.
But I guess I'd choose the radical over the kblade.
The kblade just felt completely dead to me, even after I tried playing with several different string setups.

antgun007
03-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Just get the radical then. I like the kblade a lot, seems every1 else likes the radical though. demoing the rackets will help you decide.

andres17
03-13-2009, 05:17 AM
Wow this is hard decision. I don't know if the type of game could help someone tell which racquet would suit me better.

Just in case it does I will try to describe my as best as possible:
- I used Winshield Wiper Forehand (semi-western grip)constantly changing from hitting flat to lot of spin.
-Pretty flatt backhand
- Serve is probably the strongest part of my game, I get lots of points from it.( I like to slice serve a lot)
-Volley recently started to pay attention to them so not much with that.

Its looking lime imma have to demo the racquets when the weather gets better.

maartn
03-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Well I've changed from the old APD (the one without cortex) to the MG radical MP about 3 months ago..
I've also demoed the kblade along with some other wilson sticks before I went with the radical.

I must say that the radical seems to have a lot more control and touch than the APD for me...
but like mentioned above spin potential is really low compared to the APD, power is also on the low side
(due to really tiny sweet spot, low flex rating and relatively lower weight).
Anyway it did improve my game, and it's a great stick for touch play, placement and flat shots...
But considering you say you like to play with a lot of spin and are mainly a baseliner? I would'nt really recommend this stick. (but again demo and decide for your self!)

Maybe worth a mention is the fact that I do experience a lot of elbow aiches after and during play with this stick,
probably because I overswing all the time to compensate the lack of power and spin (this might be called bad technique..)
So I'll probably switch frames again soon enough.

I would go with the kblade if I had to choose again, has more power, spin was better (again much depends on the technique)
and it served heavier balls in my opinion.
But for some reason my backhand wasn't as good as with the radical, and since my backhand is my weak point...

Conclusion, demo demo demo :)

barry
03-13-2009, 09:58 AM
I tried both the MG radical and Kblade 98, no comparison, the Kblade 98 is much better and a lot more stable. I have 2 Kblades both weigh 11.8 ounces strung, and are very solid. The MG Radical felt light and I could not control the ball. Plus with the Kblades I get a lot more power and serving accuracy and the Wilson pallet is the best, Head always seems too small.

In my opinion the MG Radical is not as good as the Ti.Radicals I used for years. Before that I used the Trisys 260. Will say it was better than the LM Radical (one with the hole drilled in the sides). But since then, I basically don’t even consider Head a quality manufacturer; put them in the gimmick pile with Prince. Wilson seems to best fit my game.

But this is my opinion, and I do demo a lot of different rackets!

bamatennis07
03-14-2009, 11:02 AM
I've played with both and preferred the radical.

The kblade i played with had depth control issues, but that might have been the strings.

I recommend you go to the TW reviews of both rackets and compare the ratings in each category, they seem about right.

jelle v
03-14-2009, 11:27 AM
For me definitely the kBlade.. (I've hit with both)

The Radical's swingweight is too low and it has no power.., plus I didn't like the feel of it.

Seacoast Stringer
03-14-2009, 06:57 PM
I hit with both and couldn't stand the KBlade. It felt dead (tried different string setups too) and for some reason I couldn't generate the lively feel that I was looking for. The MG Radical had a bigger sweet spot and was more maneuverable to me. I'm not a fan of either though.