PDA

View Full Version : Adidas Racquets

Nuke
03-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Pardon if I've missed it, but I haven't seen anyone comment on the new Adidas racquets here. Are these actually in anyone's hands yet? Same names as the shoes (Barricade, Feather, Response), and the techical gimmick is . . . wait for it . . . perimeter weighting at 3 and 9 o'clock.

http://www.adidas.com/campaigns/tennisss09/content/ and then click the "all products" link at the bottom of the screen to see the frames.

furyoku_tennis
03-12-2009, 10:25 AM
people here on the forums know about the frames, but nobody wants to try it because its not worth it.

Nuke
03-12-2009, 10:25 AM
D'oh. They're listed here on Tennis Warehouse:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/AdidasRacquets.html

imalil2gangsta4u
03-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I was thinking the exact same thing. I dont think anyone has given them a chance yet.

Tennis_dude ^_^
03-12-2009, 10:37 AM
why not
thats so messed up
i mean they look weird
bu you shouldn't knock it til you try it

theZig
03-12-2009, 12:33 PM
spec wise they seem like very nice sticks with no hocus pocus magical material claims.

adidasman
03-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Type "adidas Barricade" into the search thingie and you'll see some reviews and comments. I'm playing the regular Barricade, and I love it - I don't think it looks weird, either. It's actually a very classic, clean design once you get over the PST bumps on the sides of the head. It's a very good frame.

adidasman
03-12-2009, 12:38 PM
people here on the forums know about the frames, but nobody wants to try it because its not worth it. What does that mean? "It's not worth it"? Worth what? The price? It's competitive with every other player's frame price-wise. Have you hit with one? If you have, offer your thoughts. Otherwise, you have no idea what you're talking about.

FuriousYellow
03-12-2009, 01:57 PM
I demoed the Tour Light a few weeks back. It's a nice frame and well worth the a trial run.

adidasman
03-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Man, I played twice this week, and I'm telling you - the Barricade is a great stick. I love it more every time I play with it. Great feel, just enough pop, lots of spin when you want it. I really was ambivalent at first, but, strung with some good poly, it's sweet. If you're 4.0 or above and want a fairly flexible frame with an open string pattern, the Barricade is definitely worth a try.

Capt. Willie
03-16-2009, 10:47 AM
i mean they look weird
bu you shouldn't knock it til you try it

What is weird looking about them? :confused:

furyoku_tennis
03-16-2009, 12:46 PM
What does that mean? "It's not worth it"? Worth what? The price? It's competitive with every other player's frame price-wise. Have you hit with one? If you have, offer your thoughts. Otherwise, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I guess I can't speak for everyone else, but personally, IMO at its current price, it's not worth it. I could find something cheaper that maybe the same or even better. It's personal preference, and I just don't think I wanna shell out that much money. I haven't seen it at a cheap enough price anywhere, while I have found some of the more popular racquets at a cheaper price.

I'm not saying it's not a good racquet. I'm just saying for me, it's not worth the price. Sorry if it offends anybody. :)

gonzalocatalino
03-16-2009, 01:39 PM
i think nobody is talking about the adidas racquets because no pro´s are using them...

martini1
03-17-2009, 04:27 AM
I have seen them in person. The Barricade Tour (?) -the heaviest one feels pretty good to hold. The weight and balance is not bad. I couldn't find any store that would offer demo otherwise i would be interest to test it out.

Once Adidas starts to sign some pros U will see people starting to notice it. I still have a couple other sticks on my wtb list though.

adidasman
03-17-2009, 06:42 AM
I guess I can't speak for everyone else, but personally, IMO at its current price, it's not worth it. I could find something cheaper that maybe the same or even better. It's personal preference, and I just don't think I wanna shell out that much money. I haven't seen it at a cheap enough price anywhere, while I have found some of the more popular racquets at a cheaper price.

I'm not saying it's not a good racquet. I'm just saying for me, it's not worth the price. Sorry if it offends anybody. :) I'm not offended. But I think it's odd for you to say something isn't worth the price - that you could find something "the same or even better" for less - when you've never even hit with the thing. What is that conclusion based on? I'm not saying you should buy one, and you might not like it if you did, but your comments have no basis in fact or experience. Besides, the adidas frames are brand new - unless you're selling music CDs and trying to look good on the Billboard charts by cutting your prices so you'll move lots of units, nobody sells a brand new product at a steep discount. Besides, you didn't say you thought that, in your personal opinion, they're not worth what they cost - you said no one was interested in them because they're "not worth it." (Your exact words were, "people here on the forums know about the frames, but nobody wants to try it because its not worth it.") That's a pretty sweeping statement, as if the adidas frames cost considerably more than other players' frames (which they don't). If you want to say, "I'd never pay $185 for any racquet", that's different, and I'd accept that. But that isn't what you said. Oh, well. It's your choice. Good luck with that K-Mart racquet. :)

adidasman
03-17-2009, 06:49 AM
Oh, and take a look at the prices on the new players' frames from Prince, Yonex, and Wilson - all between $170 and $200. I guess no one will want any of those, either, eh? Clearly, adidas has priced themselves way out of the ballpark here. Gee whiz..if you're going to offer some kind of opinion, at least give us one that indicates some actual thought went into its creation.

no_dark_things
03-17-2009, 07:22 AM
I think what he meant is you can buy racquets with similar specs to the Adidas models for quite a bit less and Adidas has no marketing gimmicks (no magic dust sprinkled by the tennis fairy, etc.) that would make someone automatically justify $200.00 for an Adidas when they can get a Prince Graphite for $99.00.

That said I love the look and specs of the heavier Adidas and would have considered purchasing them if any of my local shops carried them.

EasleyTennis
03-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Oh, and take a look at the prices on the new players' frames from Prince, Yonex, and Wilson - all between $170 and $200. I guess no one will want any of those, either, eh? Clearly, adidas has priced themselves way out of the ballpark here. Gee whiz..if you're going to offer some kind of opinion, at least give us one that indicates some actual thought went into its creation.

Take her easy man..

adidasman
03-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Take her easy man..

Oh, all right. I'll simmer down. When you pick on adidas with me, though, you're asking for trouble... :)

EasleyTennis
03-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Oh, all right. I'll simmer down. When you pick on adidas with me, though, you're asking for trouble... :)

haha I love your loyalty my man.

adidasman
03-17-2009, 08:59 AM
I think what he meant is you can buy racquets with similar specs to the Adidas models for quite a bit less and Adidas has no marketing gimmicks (no magic dust sprinkled by the tennis fairy, etc.) that would make someone automatically justify $200.00 for an Adidas when they can get a Prince Graphite for $99.00.

That said I love the look and specs of the heavier Adidas and would have considered purchasing them if any of my local shops carried them.

And, of course, this is true. But there are plenty of folks salivating over that new Wilson Sampras frame - not exactly a technological marvel, and it's $200. It's like anything else; the Barricade will likely appeal to some people because of the brand, to some because of how it looks, to some because it's new and different, and some won't be interested for the same, and other, reasons. But to say that no one cares about a new frame because it isn't worth what it sells for - when the price is, again, consistent with similar frames from other manufacturers - doesn't make sense to me. I have no interest in that Wilson frame at all - I don't like the brand or Sampras - but I have no doubt that it's a great racquet for the right player. So you'd never see me say that it isn't worth what they're asking for it. I just wouldn't buy one.

no_dark_things
03-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Makes sense to me.

I like the fact the Adidas racquets don't appear to have any gimmicks (I don't consider visible weighting at the 3 and 9 position even if it's made to look like their logo a gimmick). The tour model looks like a solid stick.

But until Muster switches to Adidas I'll be keeping the MG Prestige MP even though I'm sure it's not what he really plays.

adidasman
03-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Makes sense to me.

I like the fact the Adidas racquets don't appear to have any gimmicks (I don't consider visible weighting at the 3 and 9 position even if it's made to look like their logo a gimmick). The tour model looks like a solid stick.

But until Muster switches to Adidas I'll be keeping the MG Prestige MP even though I'm sure it's not what he really plays.

Ahhh...so we're both Muster men, eh? I just switched from the Kneissl Toms Machine myself, which I bought from an Austrian store before TW started selling them here in the States (though mine are the black and white ones Tommy used, not the lime green one I doubt he ever played with). I played the original Toms Reach Machine for years as well. Man, I would LOVE to see Tommy switch to a Barricade...! That would be sheer perfection. But, even though he strays, he always ends up back with Head in the end. (He's probably still using some PJed Pro Tour 280s...)

clawson
03-17-2009, 05:45 PM
I have been demo'ing racquets for several days now, and my top two choices are the Adidas Feather and the Head Crossbow 4. I probably like the Head a touch more, but the Adidas is quite a bit cheaper. I guess it is cuz they left out the pixie dust.

I have been out of the game for several years, and found that when I started playing again I hated the feel of my Head Ti s2. It felt really mushy and underpowered, so I have demo'd about 9 different sticks now. Everything from the 03 hybrid comp to the Microgel Radical Team to the Pro Kennex Ionic Ki-30 (which I really liked.... it was my #3 choice).

I am probably a 3.5 now (used to be 4.5 before I stopped playing for close to 8 years).

furyoku_tennis
03-17-2009, 06:07 PM

Sure they're priced pretty high, but there are dealers out there that sell them for much less. Adidas racquets are hard to come by at a lower price. That's all I'm saying. I've hit with a fair amount of racquets to know which racquet I'd like and which I don't. I'm not saying that nobody should buy an adidas racquet. You're using one and you're happy with it. I'm glad to hear that you like you're racquet, but racquets are subjective and for me the appeal just wasn't there. I play with a C10 Pro, and there are a lot of people who hate that racquet and think certain things about it. They're entitled to their opinion. It's not my place to say their opinion isn't as good as mine. Like I said, it's not worth it for ME but it definitely is worth it for YOU. To each his own. :)

no_dark_things
03-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Ahhh...so we're both Muster men, eh? I just switched from the Kneissl Toms Machine myself, which I bought from an Austrian store before TW started selling them here in the States (though mine are the black and white ones Tommy used, not the lime green one I doubt he ever played with). I played the original Toms Reach Machine for years as well. Man, I would LOVE to see Tommy switch to a Barricade...! That would be sheer perfection. But, even though he strays, he always ends up back with Head in the end. (He's probably still using some PJed Pro Tour 280s...)

Muster man indeed. I modeled my ground strokes after his (tried the serve too but it never worked out though I can still imitate it) and played Head Pro Tour 280's with the white finishing tape at the top of the grip (not knowing its true purpose at the time). I didn't have the money to get the original Tom's Machines (God how I wanted those) but when I got a real job I ordered three Toms Reach Machines from a little shop that had to order them from Europe. After my Fischers were stolen I was about to order the green Toms Machine but saw he was back with Head again. If he were to switch to Adidas my kids would have to go without food for a couple of weeks.

I love you guys but daddy needs Muster's racquets.

paulorenzo
03-17-2009, 11:20 PM
i've tried the barricade tour, kps88, k6.1 90, and the latest prestige. the adidas racquet had the most power and best access to spin. it surprised me by exceeding my expectations for it, but it just wasnt my thing. i found the beam to fat. i felt as if it created slightly noticable drag in the air for a player's racquet(i'm used to 16-18mm widths)

adidasman
03-18-2009, 05:52 AM
Sure they're priced pretty high, but there are dealers out there that sell them for much less. Adidas racquets are hard to come by at a lower price. That's all I'm saying. I've hit with a fair amount of racquets to know which racquet I'd like and which I don't. I'm not saying that nobody should buy an adidas racquet. You're using one and you're happy with it. I'm glad to hear that you like you're racquet, but racquets are subjective and for me the appeal just wasn't there. I play with a C10 Pro, and there are a lot of people who hate that racquet and think certain things about it. They're entitled to their opinion. It's not my place to say their opinion isn't as good as mine. Like I said, it's not worth it for ME but it definitely is worth it for YOU. To each his own. :) Well, that's not what you said originally - but your clarification makes sense. As for how adidas is handling the rollout, it reminds me a bit of another company that entered the racquet market not all that long ago - and started by only having their frames sold in high-end pro shops and not really giving many price breaks. That company was Babolat, and it seems their strategy worked out fairly well for them. My guess is that adidas is trying to go the same route. (Although, if I'm not mistaken, you couldn't even buy a Babolat online at first - you had to go to a shop.)

adidasman
03-18-2009, 05:57 AM
Muster man indeed. I modeled my ground strokes after his (tried the serve too but it never worked out though I can still imitate it) and played Head Pro Tour 280's with the white finishing tape at the top of the grip (not knowing its true purpose at the time). So what was the reason for that white tape? I always wondered...

Barricadetourlight
03-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Pardon if I've missed it, but I haven't seen anyone comment on the new Adidas racquets here. Are these actually in anyone's hands yet? Same names as the shoes (Barricade, Feather, Response), and the techical gimmick is . . . wait for it . . . perimeter weighting at 3 and 9 o'clock.

http://www.adidas.com/campaigns/tennisss09/content/ and then click the "all products" link at the bottom of the screen to see the frames.

I own the barricade tour light frame and I feel in love with it. The barricade tour light is a great overall racket.