PDA

View Full Version : I need some racquet help....

stoo
03-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Ok gang, I'm extremely new here so forgive my ignorance when it comes to the latest equipment.

I'm picking up the game again after 12+ years of being out of it. (I played a fair amount of local club tournament tennis back then) I'm planning on getting back into it at the local club and competitve intercounty level and playing a lot once all this stupid white stuff on the ground disappears.

After dusting off (lietrally) my old gamer racquet (Wilson Profile si 3.0 circa mid 90's) and then reading a ton of information on this site, I realize I may be somewhat behind a little in the equipment department.

I've played on and off (ie. once or twice the last coupe of years) and without practice and can still hit with good power and accuracy from both sides and serve with above average pace and spin, all with this old Wilson.

To make a long story short.... at this stage in my game do I need to be looking at the high end gear and latest racquets and strings and am I going to see a real noticeable difference in performance than I would get from my Profile?

Sorry for the being so drawn out and vague at the same time, but any input would certainly be appreciated.

Great site by the way!8)

EasleyTennis
03-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Ok gang, I'm extremely new here so forgive my ignorance when it comes to the latest equipment.

I'm picking up the game again after 12+ years of being out of it. (I played a fair amount of local club tournament tennis back then) I'm planning on getting back into it at the local club and competitve intercounty level and playing a lot once all this stupid white stuff on the ground disappears.

After dusting off (lietrally) my old gamer racquet (Wilson Profile si 3.0 circa mid 90's) and then reading a ton of information on this site, I realize I may be somewhat behind a little in the equipment department.

I've played on and off (ie. once or twice the last coupe of years) and without practice and can still hit with good power and accuracy from both sides and serve with above average pace and spin, all with this old Wilson.

To make a long story short.... at this stage in my game do I need to be looking at the high end gear and latest racquets and strings and am I going to see a real noticeable difference in performance than I would get from my Profile?

Sorry for the being so drawn out and vague at the same time, but any input would certainly be appreciated.

Great site by the way!8)

What is your rating and style of play? What do you like and dislike from racquets?

OhDear
03-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Well, you've played a lot of tennis, and tennis is kind of like riding a bike, the inherent mechanics of your shots never go completely away. And if you're going to take tennis semi-seriously (play on a weekly basis, a few sets with friends or even a few league matches) a player's frame is a good investment, and with the current economy as it is, you'll find a lot of great deals and "going out of business" sales.

fuzz nation
03-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Welcome aboard, amigo!

Canada rules! ...it just does...

You may be feeling a classic case of "time to try out a racquet or two in my spare time if I can get my hands on some in this neck of the woods". The latest gear is okay, but don't assume that latest equals greatest. Some of it is pretty nice, but some of it is arguably crappy.

The other thing is that with so many old and newer frames around, you can't really know what's a good fit for you until you try it for yourself. I don't know if you have access to the TW demo program, but if you can have a go with a different racquet here and there and remember to keep notes, you'll eventually narrow down your likes and dislikes.

Sorry that I'm not familiar with your Wilson, but if I can dig up some details on it, I'll throw an idea or two your way.

stoo
03-12-2009, 05:38 PM
What is your rating and style of play? What do you like and dislike from racquets?

Rating? LOL I'm a 5 handicap on the golf course if that helps. :)

No rating as of yet. However, I'd have to say somewhat of a baseline, power groundstrokes kinda mentality. Play with a lot of topspin. Not much for the serve and volley game.

Again, somwhat vague and pretty much describes half the planet's tennis game but....

I'm guessing the best thing to do is to demo a few models and get a feel for what's out there.

Still will appreciate the advice.

EasleyTennis
03-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Rating? LOL I'm a 5 handicap on the golf course if that helps. :)

No rating as of yet. However, I'd have to say somewhat of a baseline, power groundstrokes kinda mentality. Play with a lot of topspin. Not much for the serve and volley game.

Again, somwhat vague and pretty much describes half the planet's tennis game but....

I'm guessing the best thing to do is to demo a few models and get a feel for what's out there.

Yeah man demo from a variety of racquets, you can do that here at TW. Most people here will give you opinions of what their favorite sticks are, which might not help you much. I just recently got a Babolat Pure Drive Roddick and I love it, especially for hitting powerful topspin groundstrokes. Although it is somewhat stiff at the net and for some reason I can't get a whole lot of power from the serve. But you said you didn't care much for volleys and serves so you might want to demo this racquet.

Power Player
03-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Most of the newest racquets loved here are still player's racquets. I am not sure if you like thin beams, but I came back from 16 years off, and from playing a Head Graphite Master and Prince Pro 90 when I was a junior.

Now I play a Tecnifiber 335 and a Dunlop Aerogel 200. They are modern, but retain the old school traits : Heavy, thin beamed, low powered. Check those out and see what you think. Also the Head Prestiges are great.

mawashi
03-12-2009, 07:05 PM

If that's your game there are frames that you can look at but most baseline sticks are not really hl so they aren't that maneuverable at the net. Sticks like the Babo PD, Pure Storm Tour, Yonex RDS002Tour, Wilson N95 n Dunlop Aerogel 200 if however, you are interested in lighter sticks, KPro Tour, Head LM Radical MP are nice reasonable frames.

You could also consider the Head MG Prestige MP.

mawashi