PDA

View Full Version : Even top players have a bogeyman

pound cat
02-22-2004, 05:19 AM
Henman's record v. Hewitt as of yesterday is 0-7. But he defeated Federer to get into the semi's in Rotterdam and Henman's record against Federer is 6-1. After DC this year Safin upped his record against Santoro to 2-7. Before he defeated Agassi to get into the final of AO his record against Andre was 1-4. When asked about his record over Henman yesterday, Hewitt said he didn't know, but maybe it was that their games don't match. Is is this or is it a psychological thing of some sort about the player across the net. Any other examples of players with other players they were almost doomed to lose to? Any ideas why?

robbie_dademo
02-22-2004, 05:45 AM
yeh man some players just seem to have the edge in confidence and the mental battle when they step out on to court. This even happens in club level as there are players i know that may be of similar standard to me but i know that if it gets tight i will have the edge over them for some reason, while sometimes i may be better than someone but can't seem to win the matches. it is just how you adapt to certain styles i guess.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-22-2004, 10:20 AM
I think with Henman vs. Hewitt, it's how their games match up. Henman is a serve and volleyer, and I'm pretty sure he still comes in behind second serves, right? Anyways, Hewitt has one of the best returns in the game and probably some of the best passing shots along with it. That combined with his speed usually ruins serve and volleyers.

bertrevert
02-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Agree with above and add:
Henman had just beat Federer. Surely for once his confidence should have borne him through to a better scoreline?

This is another poorresult for Tiger-TH.

His second serve Hewitt always used to take to pieces. I wonder if that was the case in this match? I saw the two of them once at Queens. Tim justs gets timid against Lleyton when so many balls pass him or come back. He should adjust his game, grind it out a bit more against the human ball machine.

PS. I find the Henman-Hewitt Hoodoo vaguely amusing but I don't know why. Every time Henman loses he talks it up. I mean he is sporting in his comments. He just doesn't come up with anything to rectify the problem.

Max G.
02-22-2004, 06:31 PM
He should adjust his game, grind it out a bit more against the human ball machine.

I really don't know what he can do. Staying back more is a recipe for disaster - Hewitt will just pick him apart if he tries to play as a baseliner. But if he comes in off everything, Hewitt will also pick him apart. Which is what happens. Hewitt doesn't have the massive power or massive spin off any shot to really trouble Hewitt - he can't set up a volley for himself. I don't think there's much he really can do...

sarpmas
02-22-2004, 07:32 PM
I think one of the most underrated strength about Hewitt that most people may have overlooked is Hewitt's passing shot ability. He LOVED a target at the net. If you do a check on his head-to-head against volleyers, his record is fantastic.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-22-2004, 07:41 PM
Maybe Henman could mix it up more, and serve and volley only like every 3 serves or so, and just make it so Hewitt never knows if he's coming in or not, forcing Hewitt to always assume a guy coming in on the serve, only to end up hitting short returns for no apparent reason to a guy waiting at the baseline. Now of course Hewitt would catch on, but still, just a try.

@wright
02-22-2004, 07:46 PM
Maybe I am wrong, but I've always thought that Henman's groundies were a little weak to go up against someone like Hewitt, who makes his living from the baseline. Kind of like Pat Rafter, who, most of the time, didn't have a prayer for winning a baseline rally against some of the game's top back court men.

Nosoupforyou
02-22-2004, 08:56 PM
His groundies were very weak, but i've heard hes been working extremely hard on them

borisboris
02-23-2004, 07:12 AM
Tim Clijsters will never beat Hewitt and therefore never win his country's most cherrished trophy. He's getting up there in age and I don't see anything in his artillery that's changed from last yr

Max G.
02-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Tim Clijsters will never beat Hewitt and therefore never win his country's most cherrished trophy. He's getting up there in age and I don't see anything in his artillery that's changed from last yr

Tim might not beat Hewitt; but beating Hewitt isn't a requirement for winning Wimbledon. As usual, he'll have a very good chance.

As for "what has changed since last year" - well, I don't know what, but something did. After all, he won his first TMS at the end of last year, something must have clicked. It's a question of whether it'll click at Wimbledon when it needs to. And, of course, a bit of luck of the draw (i.e. no Hewitts).

Tammo
07-24-2011, 07:03 PM
You know this thread needs to be revived. :p

dParis
07-24-2011, 08:00 PM
You know this thread needs to be revived. :p
:o "Tammo Beeeeeee There..."

FedExpress 333
07-24-2011, 09:01 PM
LOL i was sooooooo sure this was a Fed-Djoker-Rafa thread.

Breaker
07-24-2011, 09:05 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/IHTennis/lleyton-hewitt-tim-henman.jpg