PDA

View Full Version : Should one use an more advanced racquet than his/her USTA rating suggests ?

StupidCupid
03-04-2005, 10:48 PM
I am a 3.5 using a POG LB OS for quite many years. I often wonder if I were to use racquets designed for 3.0 - 4.0, will I perform better.

Not long ago, I bought the Volkl Catapult 4 (head-light) and also the TT Bandit (head-heavy), both were significantly lighter overall and more manouverable than the POG LB OS. But, I played like shXt with both. Of course, I could hit with much more power, but the balls were just flying everywhere and always long, and I have no idea how to direct the balls correctly.

Do any of you have the same problem.

I also believed that using a more advanced racquet helps to improve one's techniques as one is forced to swing properly with a advanced racquet. Am I wrong ?

BreakPoint
03-05-2005, 12:35 AM
You're not wrong. You're right, as you're finding out.

AndrewD
03-05-2005, 04:56 AM
Personally I think you're wrong (ish). If you assume there's only one way to do things so only one way to hit the ball etc then one style of frame might be better. However, if you feel that there are different ways of playing and differing techniques then you could see how a variety of frames, of different characteristics could be equally effective as you learn the game.

People growing up with graphite were told by people growing up with wood that they'd be better off learning on the heavier 'more demanding' wooden frames. People today are getting the same advice from the graphite generation.

Regardless, if you're being taught properly you'll learn the correct technique. You dont need an older, smaller, heavier frame to do that. If you do, then you aren't being taught properly. Why learn on an older frame and then have to readjust when you move to something newer and more powerful? Why not develop your game around the newer, more useful for a beginner, technology? You'll end up with your shots grooved for the new gear and you more able to handle the extra power it provides.

Rabbit
03-05-2005, 06:07 AM
I agree. If I were learning tennis from the start right now, I'd take advantage of the biggest, ugliest frame out there. I think that there is something to the guidlines and I would probably avail myself of something I was leveled right in the middle of, like you have done.