PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler- Australia wraps up tie in 2 days

hotdimsim
03-05-2005, 01:23 AM
Australia has won its tie against Austria. Wayne Arthurs and Todd Woodbridge came from 2 sets to one down to beat Knowle and Melzer in the doubles today.

They have unbeatable 3-0 lead. The last two dead rubbers will probably be played by Arthurs and rising aussie star Chris Guccione (the guy who beat ferrero in sydney last year)

AndrewD
03-05-2005, 02:43 AM
Hey mate, if you're going to post a spoiler dont put the result in the title. Kind of ruins it for others. Doesn't worry me as Ive been watching it live, in Aussie time, but a few mightn't appreciate it.

bertrevert
03-05-2005, 03:46 AM
Seems a strong showing to open the account. Arthurs did well and the doubles was a cliff hanger and a struggle. Nothing's a given in Davis Cup. I think, well I hope, there's going to be strong Davis Cup interest this year especially with Spain, current title holders in difficulties - interesting to hear Hrbaty is making it difficult for the big names again! - an open field always gets everyone's interest up.

The laid in grass court here in Sydney looked decidely dodgy. It didn't look like it had knit together entirely. Dust would fly up when the ball landed sometimes. Nevertheless a win is a win.

Max G.
03-05-2005, 04:02 AM
Don't be too sure that Arthurs will play a dead rubber - if I were him, I'd sit it out. He's just off of winning a tournament, he admitted that during the beginning of the doubles match his legs were heavy - he needs a rest, not practice.

Of course it's up to the captain, but I would not think there is any incentive for Arthurs to play.

bertrevert
03-05-2005, 04:15 AM
Arthurs has some (Davis Cup) demons to bury. I'm sure he'd like the chance to. And he's found a late-bloom. Moreover, it's on national daytime TV here! But, yes, I agree one to sit out and give to an upcoming player, that's the spirit of Davis Cup, that's what it's about - teams, and getting new players on court - if Fitzgerald doesn't do that he'd be making a mistake (Australian press here is already bemoaning the lack of upcoming talent) but who to chose?

Cypo
03-05-2005, 12:19 PM
I know :-(
A little embarrassing, although it was clear how it would go. But secretly I'd hoped that Austria would do a little better.

hotdimsim
03-05-2005, 10:18 PM
(Australian press here is already bemoaning the lack of upcoming talent)

there is a bit of lack of talent, considering our highest ranked junior is something like 55, then the next is about 80, and there both 18.

and Todd Reid is doing crap, ranked around 200, when Tennis Australia promised hed be top 50 player. then who is there. lleyton is carrying aussie singles tennis, and hiding the lack of depth. but its good that Arthurs is getting some form.

K!ck5w3rvE
03-06-2005, 02:00 AM
He might have some good form up behind him, but really, Arthurs is a cr@p singles player. He is terrible.
ie. Anyone who saw his first round match against Volandri @ Medibank would agree. Ugly stuff.

Same as Guccione, who replaced him today. Good serve, but my mum could hit better groundstrokes and first volleys than him.
[b]ie. Gucc vs Ginepri @ AO 2004..........yaaarck.

Max G.
03-06-2005, 02:09 AM
He might have some good form up behind him, but really, Arthurs is a cr@p singles player. He is terrible.
ie. Anyone who saw his first round match against Volandri @ Medibank would agree. Ugly stuff.

Which is why he's currently ranked around 70th in the world, just won a tournament. And why, BTW, he WON that match against volandri. Yeah, real cr@p player.

Anyone who saw his final against Ancic would disagree. Especially Ancic himself.

TheNatural
03-06-2005, 04:28 AM
I saw Guccioni play live recently. He serves great and volleys ok, but his return of serve and gorundstrokes wern't too good. I also saw him play doubles with 3 others ranked in the 200's or more. He had the best serve out of everyone, but he also had the worst groundstrokes and return of serve out of everyone.

Singles suits him better because he gets to serve every second game.

He's only young so he can still improve a lot. He won today, so he must have done pretty well.

raftermania
03-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Yeah, our eyes take information in by sentences not words. When I saw spoiler, I unconsciously and automatically read the rest of header. Putting spoiler in there sort of defeats the purpose. I don't think there are any tape delays of the DC anyways so not a big problem, but avoid doing this say directly after the French Open final, please! Humanity begs of you or others. But I'll ruin it already for thsoe who want to know:

Spoiler - Federer defeats Nadal

In terms of Australia's tennis talent, they got it big. The only reason the press and public are complaining is because of the high standards they have - all the great champions Australia has given birth too. Canada has a comparably sized population, and we have relatively little talent. Although there are excuses for this:

Our climate is not tennis friendly.
99.97% of our population is obsessed with hockey
Compared to other countries, Tennis Canada ("equivalent" to USTA) doesn't support their players well
Most Canadians will mistake a tennis racquet for a snowshoe

Well hopefully, those greedy NHLers continue to not play and end up gradually losing the countries interest in the sport. Then global warming will occur and give us the climate of Australia. When that happens, Australia's climate will be so hot and hellish, you'll all need to migrate to Canada bringing Lleyton/Mark/Alicia with you. I'll be there when they sign the Canadian citizenship papers. Don't be ignorant of your imminent and inevitable future, my beloved Aussies. In very due time, you will all be Canadian.

Mwahahahahahahah!!! Resistance is futile.

bertrevert
03-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Snowshoe! ROFL!

(Thx for that Spoiler - that's all I needed to know really!)