PDA

View Full Version : Leadtape at 6/12 or 3/9 - what's the difference?

MAXXply
03-13-2009, 02:35 AM
Does it matter overall whether lead is placed at 6 and 12 instead of 3 and 9 ?? I'm using a Dunlop AG200.

Thanks

fuzz nation
03-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Usually the objective with 3/9 o'clock lead placement is to stabilize the head and make the frame more resistant to twisting on off-center hits. For me, this is my favorite scheme for adding lead because it gives the hoop more overall inertia like adding weight at 6/12 o'clock, but it also seems to make it more stable. That gives me more confidence.

The good news with lead tape is that once you try it either way, you can just peel it off if it doesn't work for you. I've tried adding lead up at 12 o'clock once or twice and I've found that a little goes a long way toward making the hoop feel heavier when I swing it. Honestly, it's never occurred to me to put any lead at 6 o'clock if I'm already placing it up at 12.

hoodjem
03-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Go here:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html

Torsional Stability
This is one of the most common reasons for adding weight to a frame. Placing weight at the sides (3 & 9 o’clock) not only makes the racquet heavier, but will help reduce frame twisting, or torque, during off-center hits. Power will also be increased for most players. We don’t recommend adding more weight in the upper hoop on head-heavy (Hammer-type) racquets, unless counter-weighting is added in the handle.

Increasing Swingweight with Minimal Added Weight
Players seeking to make a racquet swing heavier, without substantially increasing overall weight should add 5-10 grams of lead tape at the 12 o’clock position, or racquet tip.
Increasing Weight Without Changing Balance
Some players seek to simply make their racquets heavier without altering static balance. To increase overall racquet weight and retain the same balance, add weight in the throat, or 6 o’clock position. This will slightly increase swingweight, though, making the racquet a little less maneuverable.