PDA

View Full Version : Price versus Quality

AndrewD
03-13-2009, 05:45 AM
As I mentioned in a couple of other threads I'm thinking of quitting the (futile) chase for a modern racquet that makes me happy just hitting the ball (it seems there's something soulless and joyless about today's frames) and opting, instead, for a few 'vintage' frames that I can use for competition. Most likely, those frames will be either or both of the POG OS - the earlier models that were 8-10pts HL and not quite as stiff as today's version- and the Prince Graphite Comp Series 110.

My question is, how much should I be expecting to pay for a POG OS from the versions listed below in decent (decent meaning no cracks, good for quite a few more restrings - I intend to use it for competition, not as a collectable) or better condition?

POG1 - grommetless - 1 stripe (teardrop head - no bumper)
POG2 - single grommets - 1 stripe (teardrop head - no bumper)
POG3 - grommet strip - 1 stripe (modern head + bumper)
POG4 - grommet strip - 4 stripe (modern head + bumper)
POG5 - "Straight Shaft"

(**Based on a list of the various POGOS iterations compiled by Bud**)

TMR
03-13-2009, 07:23 AM
I'm in the same predicament, only I haven't narrowed it down yet.
I'm trying to decide between Max 200G, Prestige Classic and GTX Pro. Therefore one of my previous favorites, the POG OS is potentially expendable. I have several of the early models sitting in the closet . ahanesthesiaa at gmail dot com

AndrewD
03-13-2009, 11:25 PM
I would still be interested to know what others, especially the experienced collectors (not that my interest is in collecting), think would be appropriate.

Virginia
03-16-2009, 01:59 AM
Last time I looked, POG's in good condition were around $100, but it really depends on timing. Sometimes you can get one for a good price (thanks schu47!) and sometimes, another bidder or two is up against you and prices can go crazy.

Bud
03-16-2009, 04:22 AM
As I mentioned in a couple of other threads I'm thinking of quitting the (futile) chase for a modern racquet that makes me happy just hitting the ball (it seems there's something soulless and joyless about today's frames) and opting, instead, for a few 'vintage' frames that I can use for competition. Most likely, those frames will be either or both of the POG OS - the earlier models that were 8-10pts HL and not quite as stiff as today's version- and the Prince Graphite Comp Series 110.

My question is, how much should I be expecting to pay for a POG OS from the versions listed below in decent (decent meaning no cracks, good for quite a few more restrings - I intend to use it for competition, not as a collectable) or better condition?

POG1 - grommetless - 1 stripe (teardrop head - no bumper)
POG2 - single grommets - 1 stripe (teardrop head - no bumper)
POG3 - grommet strip - 1 stripe (modern head + bumper)
POG4 - grommet strip - 4 stripe (modern head + bumper)
POG5 - "Straight Shaft"

(**Based on a list of the various POGOS iterations compiled by Bud**)

What is your grip size? :)

AndrewD
03-16-2009, 04:36 AM
Last time I looked, POG's in good condition were around $100, but it really depends on timing. Sometimes you can get one for a good price (thanks schu47!) and sometimes, another bidder or two is up against you and prices can go crazy.

I've been following six different POG OS sales on the American arm of the main auction site. The two that just ended went for $50 ($76Aus) and $21 ($31Aus). Two others have a 'Buy it Now' price of $65 ($98Aus) and $70 ($106Aus). The other two look like they'll go for around $50 ($76Aus).

AndrewD
03-16-2009, 04:37 AM
What is your grip size? :)

3/8 usually but sometimes 1/2.