PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Help?

Crazy4Tennis
03-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Hi guys, I have asked for racquet advice before, but have changed my game since then and also my preferences. I am currently using the LM Radical, and I like the stiffness rating of it, but the dense string pattern, the not as good net play, the lead needed to make it playable, and just that I don't feel like it creates a HEAVY ball.

I'm looking for something at the 11.7-12.3 oz range, so that I can add leather and make it hefty(I don't wanna use lead as I think it takes away some feel, but will if it is absolutely necessary) that has around the same flex, maybe even softer, than the Radical. Preferably an open string pattern, something that has good touch/feel and net game (really important!!!!!). A racquet that will create a heavy ball, not a speed ball, beam width no bigger than 21mm. Low powered with a good headlight balance.

Sorry if I'm really picky, but I just can't decide, and I know that there are a lot of people out there who have tried a lot of frames. Help?

Note: Will be buying blind. Demos don't do anything for me. They always put on a crap multi, and I can't get the racquet the way I like it so it gives me no real opinion. Not gonna argue abt this, just letting yall know that your opinions are really important and I put my trust in yall to help me find a good racquet.

Thanks ahead of time!

Crazy4Tennis
03-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Oh, forgot my playing style:

1 handed both sides. Western forehand and eastern 1HBH. Heavy topspin both sides, and really aggressive baseliner/serve and volley/all courter. Love to play net, so volleys are important, aggressive serves. Slices are also aggressive for me, but can be passive for defensive shots. I like to take a big whack at everything so something low powered would be nice. I also like to mix in dropshots and drop volleys (which means touch is also something I would like). Thanks!

mg.dc
03-13-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm a fan of the Redondo Mid. The specs fall within your desired parameters -- except for one thing, a dense string pattern. Otherwise it's hefty (you don't need lead), has a leather grip and soft flex, and also has excellent touch and feel. Furthermore, the Redondo Mid is a great net racket, in my opinion.

With a big swing that drives through the ball -- I'm thinking here of Sampras -- you can generate a heavy ball indeed. Also, the beam is thinner than 21mm, it's a low powered stick, and the headlight balance is very nice, to be sure.

Lastly, it's not expensive. Perhaps you should consider the Redondo.

sphinx780
03-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Sounds to me like trying something in the Volkl line might suit your tastes. NBMJ has some great reviews on the latest and greatest to give you and idea of their individual attributes. Although they are mostly 18x20's

I play a fairly similar game style to yours. I'm an aggressive all courter with a sw fh and 2bh. I like to get my opponent on the run and finish at net if I haven't hit the winner. I pound first serves all day long.

Personally the BB11 works for me on all ends, lets me take rip after rip but also gives that feel at net w/o getting pushed around. I play both singles and dubs in league so a stick for both baseline bashing and net play/touch was a must for me. Used the Volkl DNX 10MP for a while and that's a nice stick too but I wanted something a little less headlight personally.

I think checking out others ideas and reading up on the reviews done by NBMJ and some others will at least help you find the direction that'll be most comfortable without going the demo route.

furyoku_tennis
03-13-2009, 03:42 PM
You might want to consider the C10 Pro. It's a good all court racquet with an extra flexy upper hoop. You can get some great angles out of it at net and the touch is definitely there.

Some other racquets you might want to consider that are closer to your radical are the prestige MP and Pro. They weigh more than the radical, but give you more control and extra weight. The Pro also has an open string pattern to help generate spin.

T1000
03-13-2009, 04:23 PM
k90 or rds 001 mid are good for your playing style. k90 might be too heavy though

Crazy4Tennis
03-13-2009, 04:38 PM
k90 or rds 001 mid are good for your playing style. k90 might be too heavy though

Yea, the K90 was a bit too demanding for me.

Crazy4Tennis
03-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Yea, the K90 was a bit too demanding for me.

Oh, but for reference, weight isn't an issue, as I've used 13+ oz racquets with no problems, but go for around 12 oz racquets so I can get a good whip for spin.

blue12
03-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Aerogel 200 is 11.9

MG prestige mid

kps88

Crazy4Tennis
03-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Sounds to me like trying something in the Volkl line might suit your tastes. NBMJ has some great reviews on the latest and greatest to give you and idea of their individual attributes. Although they are mostly 18x20's

I play a fairly similar game style to yours. I'm an aggressive all courter with a sw fh and 2bh. I like to get my opponent on the run and finish at net if I haven't hit the winner. I pound first serves all day long.

Personally the BB11 works for me on all ends, lets me take rip after rip but also gives that feel at net w/o getting pushed around. I play both singles and dubs in league so a stick for both baseline bashing and net play/touch was a must for me. Used the Volkl DNX 10MP for a while and that's a nice stick too but I wanted something a little less headlight personally.

I think checking out others ideas and reading up on the reviews done by NBMJ and some others will at least help you find the direction that'll be most comfortable without going the demo route.

I'm actually really interested in the BB11 Mid, have you tried that version?
NBMJ, and help with the BB11 Mid, I understand that you have had quite an outing with it.

In)SpiRe
03-14-2009, 07:35 AM
I'm actually really interested in the BB11 Mid, have you tried that version?
NBMJ, any help with the BB11 Mid, I understand that you have had quite an outing with it.

I'm quite interested in hearing abt the BB 11 Mid as well.

GPB
03-14-2009, 07:55 AM
Check out the Babolat PST. I'm demoing one right now, and although I had to add some lead to get it to where I like it, a lot of people like it stock.

It fits all of your descriptions. It's got its own thread here somewhere if you're interested in learning more about it.

Crazy4Tennis
03-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Check out the Babolat PST. I'm demoing one right now, and although I had to add some lead to get it to where I like it, a lot of people like it stock.

It fits all of your descriptions. It's got its own thread here somewhere if you're interested in learning more about it.

How is it for volleys? I've tried it before and it did great at the baseline, but I never really had net experience with it as I was primarily a baseliner then.

fuzz nation
03-14-2009, 05:11 PM
One of the best all-court frames around these days (by my standards) is the Prince Hybrid Tour. With a firm stringbed, it's got nice control and it can raise some hell up at net.

NoNameZ
03-14-2009, 05:19 PM
you should definitely hit up the volkls if you want feel. the BB11 Mid is a nice racket, while your at it, demo a BB11SE too. lol

GPB
03-14-2009, 08:50 PM
How is it for volleys? I've tried it before and it did great at the baseline, but I never really had net experience with it as I was primarily a baseliner then.

Great so far. Note: I've added about 20g of lead at the top of the grip, and a couple grams at 10+2. With a little more in the handle, this frame will feel perfect for me. And I like to volley a lot :)

origmarm
03-16-2009, 04:06 AM
I'm going to suggest a Pure Storm Tour or better I reckon, a Prestige Pro. I think if you like the LM Rad but want it heavier without lead but similar that's a good bet. Also the pattern is open which is another thing you are looking for.