PDA

View Full Version : Tactics Help.

Liv3 For It
03-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Can you give me some tips on how to beat these guys?

Senario 1 - A kid who has a weak serve but amazing groundstrokes. He is basically pretty good all around and is probably one of the best on the team. He has good groundstokes can hit winners and is decent at net. The only thing bad about him is his serve. He tends to ONLY GET IT OVER. pretty weak but sometimes strong. However, he is very hard on himself. Which means if he misses a few he might self destruct. How can I win?

Senario 2 - A kid who has a good forehand and an alright backhand. I would call his backhand a weakness. He is pretty good at net but does not normally like going up. However, will go up on a short ball. He has a lefty slice and not a really fast serve but a goood consistant spin serve. How can I win?

GPB
03-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Scenario 1: You definitely want to attack his serve if it's that weak. Start halfway to the service box and take it down the line. Since you're up there already, follow it up to the net. Cover the cross-court shot, since that's the easiest one for him to hit. Force him to take it up the line. Putaway cross court.

Scenario 2: Hmm.... same thing, why not? Be sure to mix it up in both scenarios. Maybe try to get into some backhand rallies with him. Hit everything to his BH, until he coughs up a short ball. Then ATTACK to the forehand and come in.

---

This is my advice, knot knowing anything about your game and what you're comfortable with. It's how I'd play them.

Liv3 For It
03-14-2009, 05:49 PM
when i attack, should i go for a lot or attack, but still get the ball in safely....

GPB
03-14-2009, 08:55 PM
I've recently been told: "Never go for a winner. Just hit the shot to put you in the best position for the next shot, and if it ends the point, great!"
I'm trying my best to play with this philosophy running through my head.

LuckyR
03-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Can you give me some tips on how to beat these guys?

Senario 1 - A kid who has a weak serve but amazing groundstrokes. He is basically pretty good all around and is probably one of the best on the team. He has good groundstokes can hit winners and is decent at net. The only thing bad about him is his serve. He tends to ONLY GET IT OVER. pretty weak but sometimes strong. However, he is very hard on himself. Which means if he misses a few he might self destruct. How can I win?

Senario 2 - A kid who has a good forehand and an alright backhand. I would call his backhand a weakness. He is pretty good at net but does not normally like going up. However, will go up on a short ball. He has a lefty slice and not a really fast serve but a goood consistant spin serve. How can I win?

Dude, what is your playing style?

saram
03-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Dude, what is your playing style?

Same question for me--and playing ability as well? Age?

burosky
03-19-2009, 01:33 PM
LuckyR and Saram are right. Without knowing what you can do it would be difficult to give any suggestion. If there is a suggestion for a tactic that requires a particular shot you don't have or not comfortable hitting it would only get you in trouble.

Give some background about yourself.

Liv3 For It
03-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Well, I am a player who has a fairly consistant serve, but not a fast one. I have an strong forehand but it tends to open up sometimes. By 2HB is the opposite. Not alot of power but alot of consistancy. I like going to net on short balls but have trouble finishing the point with volleys. I have okay footwork and court coverage but Sometimes react too slowly or anticipate too slowly. Covering far overheads are hard.

LuckyR
03-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Well, I am a player who has a fairly consistant serve, but not a fast one. I have an strong forehand but it tends to open up sometimes. By 2HB is the opposite. Not alot of power but alot of consistancy. I like going to net on short balls but have trouble finishing the point with volleys. I have okay footwork and court coverage but Sometimes react too slowly or anticipate too slowly. Covering far overheads are hard.

Now you're talking. I would use a similar strategy on both players. Namely, I would work on your FH spin potential. If you can get the spin up on your forehand, then you can become much more consistant than player #1. Given his poor Mental game, you should make short work of him.

Player #2 is a variation of the first. Since he is a lefty (and you are a righty, right?) I would get into crosscourt wars with him. Your very consistant BH will match up well with his forehand and your newer and better FH will dominate his BH. If you get him out of position (which should be common) then by all means take it short and go DTL and approach. Don't "finish" the points, just keep him hitting passes off of both sides and keep your eyes open for him hitting long, especially off of the BH side.

saram
03-19-2009, 07:13 PM

Can you effectively hit your shots deep in corners?