PDA

View Full Version : Reducing Grip Size by using overgrip!

votin123
03-14-2009, 01:23 PM
OK I did few research on reducing head size. But I still can't find the pro and con by using 2 or 3 over grips replace the replacement grip to make the grip smaller. If any one can point it out it will be much appreciate.

topher.juan
03-14-2009, 03:01 PM
fwiw, i have a 4 5/8 racquet that i use two overgrips on.. when i measure the grip size it is the same as my 4 3/8 with leather grip and overgrip. you feel the bevels way more with 2 over grips, which sometimes is a positive, sometimes not.

thenjimmysaid
03-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Many people say that reducing grip size by only using 2 overgrips, they can get more "wrist action." However, taking off the replacement grip makes the racquet slightly more head heavy. Also,with only using only 2 overgrips, the racquet transmits more shock to your hand when you mishit. I prefer leather grip and one overgrip.

votin123
03-14-2009, 07:30 PM
So you are saying using a leather grip and a over grip would reduce grip size. But will it change the balance of the racket?

pshulam
03-14-2009, 09:10 PM
So you are saying using a leather grip and a over grip would reduce grip size. But will it change the balance of the racket?

very little.

votin123
03-14-2009, 09:35 PM
very little.

Can you estimate how much it will change? Currently i am using a MG Radical MP racket which is 11oz.

autumn_leaf
03-15-2009, 05:19 AM
Can you estimate how much it will change? Currently i am using a MG Radical MP racket which is 11oz.

this really depends on what grip in currently on the racquet and what leather grip you choose to get.

my gamma syn. replacement grip is thick and almost as heavy as a leather grip. some leather grips were also made thinner and are of course lighter. so no one can give you an exact difference in weight without knowing the exact grips you have and will be using.

here is a useful post :

Leather grips can enhance the "feel" of a racquet in a number of ways. --The feel of the bevels for sure, but also the feel of the ball coming off the strings. Some leather grips can also add weight to the handle, rendering a more head-light balance. Here are some specs on grip weights and other items that may help you determine some variables that affect weight and balance:
Fairway Leather - 25g
Wilson Leather - 22g
Head Leather - 23g
Pacific leather -18g
Volkl Leather -30.4g
All of the above are untrimmed, straight from the package
Gamma Hi-Tech Perforated Replacement Grip - 19g/.67 oz [trimmed to fit]
Babolat "0" vibration dampener - 3.8g/.135 oz
Wilson Pro Feel vibration dampener - 2.5g/.090 oz
#10 rubber band - .7g/.025 oz
16g string in 18 X 20 pattern - 15.9g/.56 oz
Yonex Super Grap overwrap - 5.7g/.20 oz