PDA

View Full Version : Volkl fans, finally my PB8 in my hands!

HappyLefty
03-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Today I received my PowerBridge 8 and inmediatly I went to my tennis shop to string it with my SPPP @55 lbs. (mid tension).
The bad news is that I have to wait two days to test it (next monday 16th).
I´ll keep you updated of my experience with this new stick.
I decided to give a try because most of my shots are with heavy topspin, I'm a baseliner and 2hbh.
If you own this "new gem" I appreciate your experience with this new volkl baby.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCVOLKL-VPB8.html

nickarnold2000
03-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Great! I'm looking forward to the review. I use a leaded up Becker Pro so I'm wondering if you'll add any weight or not?

snoopy
03-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to hit with the PB 8 much bc of bad weather when I had the demo. Yet, my limited experience with the stick has left me wanting to try it again.

For someone like me who found the Babolat PD and APD a little too unwieldy and the the Volkl DNX 8 too flimsy, the PB 8 might be perfect.

Tell us what you think after you hit with it. Please compare it to other sticks that you've tried? Have you hit with a PD or APD?

HappyLefty
03-15-2009, 05:00 AM
Great! I'm looking forward to the review. I use a leaded up Becker Pro so I'm wondering if you'll add any weight or not?
At this moment I'm not planning to lead my racquet. It depends on how I feel the shots, swing, etc.

HappyLefty
03-15-2009, 05:02 AM
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to hit with the PB 8 much bc of bad weather when I had the demo. Yet, my limited experience with the stick has left me wanting to try it again.

For someone like me who found the Babolat PD and APD a little too unwieldy and the the Volkl DNX 8 too flimsy, the PB 8 might be perfect.

Tell us what you think after you hit with it. Please compare it to other sticks that you've tried? Have you hit with a PD or APD?
I was a PD user 4 years ago. Due some issues in my elbow I changed to something more arm friendly. Volkl saved my arm.

HappyLefty
03-17-2009, 10:03 AM
OK, finally I tested this racquet. It was strung with SPPP #17L @55lbs. Tested for about 60 minutes.
Baseline: This model is very stable and solid from the baseline. At the beginning I had some difficulties to land the ball into the court. To get a better control, I made some adjusts with the spin (more spin, less flat) and a good preparation.
I play with 2HBH and I felt very comfortable playing with my backhand. My shots with my backhand (flat and topspin) were with precision and under control. Not a huge difference with my current stick.
Spin generation: I liked the spin I got from the PB8. Easy spin generation with less effort due its open pattern. No problems in this area.
Comfort: Despite its stiffness, I found this racquet very comfortable. There’s no bad vibrations. Volkl made a great job here. I use to play with arm-friendly racquets and this stick is not an exception.
Serves: I served for 10 minutes and placement and spin were right for me. Easy to manage, specially those serves with kick. With less effort and an adequate racquet head speed you can generate great spin. I’m not a flat hitting server but those who love flat servers could find lack of power.
Slice: I found an improvement in this area. Good cuts with depth and precision.
Volleys and servers return: Not enough time to test these shots. Next post.
BTW, I wouldn’t need to add weight. Current weight is fine for me.
My final score:
Groundstrokes:8
Spin (top & slice): 9
Comfort: 8
Servers: 7
Control: 8
Maneuverability: 8

Hope it helps,

Peter Szucs
03-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Hi... i have been playing with this frame for around a month now and all i can say is that its the obvious winner of its category... fyi i tried the PDC, PDR, APDC, Head Extreme Pro (both the old and the teflon grommet version), Dunlop AG 500 Tour 4D. Have not tried the Becker Pro.
The PB8, once you get used to it, is a very solid and versatile frame that can be great for both singles and doubles play. Its solid as rock and offers very rich volkl feel. btw mine is leaded up to 11.8oz strung.

NoBadMojo
03-17-2009, 11:14 AM
OK, finally I tested this racquet. It was strung with SPPP #17L @55lbs. Tested for about 60 minutes.
Baseline: This model is very stable and solid from the baseline. At the beginning I had some difficulties to land the ball into the court. To get a better control, I made some adjusts with the spin (more spin, less flat) and a good preparation.
I play with 2HBH and I felt very comfortable playing with my backhand. My shots with my backhand (flat and topspin) were with precision and under control. Not a huge difference with my current stick.
Spin generation: I liked the spin I got from the PB8. Easy spin generation with less effort due its open pattern. No problems in this area.
Comfort: Despite its stiffness, I found this racquet very comfortable. There’s no bad vibrations. Volkl made a great job here. I use to play with arm-friendly racquets and this stick is not an exception.
Serves: I served for 10 minutes and placement and spin were right for me. Easy to manage, specially those serves with kick. With less effort and an adequate racquet head speed you can generate great spin. I’m not a flat hitting server but those who love flat servers could find lack of power.
Slice: I found an improvement in this area. Good cuts with depth and precision.
Volleys and servers return: Not enough time to test these shots. Next post.
BTW, I wouldn’t need to add weight. Current weight is fine for me.
My final score:
Groundstrokes:8
Spin (top & slice): 9
Comfort: 8
Servers: 7
Control: 8
Maneuverability: 8

Hope it helps,

Good review.....pretty classic in the sense that the PB8 <like the DNX8 and Becker Pro> was targeted at the PureDrive user looking more comfort and control....exactly the racquet you used to use. Also good that you are able to control the power w. some more spin..that is a way that players are able to improve by making a gear change, and adapting to it.

HappyLefty
03-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Hi... i have been playing with this frame for around a month now and all i can say is that its the obvious winner of its category... fyi i tried the PDC, PDR, APDC, Head Extreme Pro (both the old and the teflon grommet version), Dunlop AG 500 Tour 4D. Have not tried the Becker Pro.
The PB8, once you get used to it, is a very solid and versatile frame that can be great for both singles and doubles play. Its solid as rock and offers very rich volkl feel. btw mine is leaded up to 11.8oz strung.
You are right when mention the volkl feel. My coach played some minutes with the PB8 and also loved its feel (he plays w/ MG Radical).
As stated by NBM in other posts, Volkl´s feel is adictive.

Peter Szucs
03-18-2009, 01:23 AM
You are right when mention the volkl feel. My coach played some minutes with the PB8 and also loved its feel (he plays w/ MG Radical).
As stated by NBM in other posts, Volkl´s feel is adictive.

With regards to feel only the Dunlop 500 Tour 4D is comparable to the PB8 from its category but its much more jarring on the arm.

HappyLefty
03-18-2009, 09:02 AM
It was a pending homework.

Well, today I played doubles for about two hours and the following are the results:

Volleys: At the net the feel was great (it´s a Volkl man...) and very good placement. I found a good punch for put-a-ways shots. Impossible to be reached by my opponents. At the net the maneuverability was fine for a doubles game. Easy to change directions and placement. My game improves in this area with this stick.
Drops: My drop shots were with decent precision and feel (yes again the feel). No problems in this area.
Serve Return: Most received serves were with spin instead of flat bombs. Under this condition, I couldn´t find any problem with serves return. I was returning with topspin and underspin with approaches to the net with success.

Scores:
Volleys: 9
Serve Return: 8
Touch/feel: 10

Any comment?
How is your experience with PB8?

catfish
03-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Happylefty, how would you compare the Volkl PB8 to the Becker V1 MP? Was it better or worse on anything?

HappyLefty
03-19-2009, 03:35 AM
Happylefty, how would you compare the Volkl PB8 to the Becker V1 MP? Was it better or worse on anything?
Sure.

Comfort: both are very similar.
Spin: PB8 wins.
Touch and feel: PB8 wins.
Maneuverability: Both very similar.
Power: V1 has more power.
Servers: I serve better with V1. Remember I´ve been playing with PB8 for only 4 hours.
Volleys: PB8 a bit better.
Control: PB8 wins in this department.
Let me know if you have any question.

catfish
04-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Sure.

Comfort: both are very similar.
Spin: PB8 wins.
Touch and feel: PB8 wins.
Maneuverability: Both very similar.
Power: V1 has more power.
Servers: I serve better with V1. Remember I´ve been playing with PB8 for only 4 hours.
Volleys: PB8 a bit better.
Control: PB8 wins in this department.
Let me know if you have any question.

Happylefty, You've had your PB8 for awhile now. Do you still like the PB8 better than the BB V1? I demo'd the Volkl PB8 and I liked it very much when I was hitting with the ball machine. But then I tried it in a practice match and every ball I touched flew all over the place. I felt like I had no control at all and I couldn't keep the ball in play. However, the PB8 demo was strung with Wilson NXT, which I do not like. The string could be the problem.

HappyLefty
04-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Happylefty, You've had your PB8 for awhile now. Do you still like the PB8 better than the BB V1? I demo'd the Volkl PB8 and I liked it very much when I was hitting with the ball machine. But then I tried it in a practice match and every ball I touched flew all over the place. I felt like I had no control at all and I couldn't keep the ball in play. However, the PB8 demo was strung with Wilson NXT, which I do not like. The string could be the problem.

I had a similar problem and I made a couple of adjusts:
1. Raise the tension from 55lbs to 58 lbs.
2. Played with more spin instead of flat shots.
My advice is to use the same string you use to play instead of a strange string. One variable at a time.
And yes, I still like this racquet. My serve is much better and I decided to buy another racquet.
Hope it helps friend!

marsh
05-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Has anyone found the need to add lead to the PB8? If so, then where and how much?

Peter Szucs
05-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Has anyone found the need to add lead to the PB8? If so, then where and how much?

I have put around 8 grams under the grip (its added in two strips of lead wrapped around the top of the handle below the grip) and around 3 grams in 2 small strips to the inner side of the neck.

Shangri La
05-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Had a brief hit with the PB8. It plays firm but comfort. Feel is good -- although still dont like the NXT string. I can only imagine how great it would feel with the right strings. It hits stable and solid, but in stock form feels a little unwieldy, it may have to do with my sample was 1-2pts hl, and I usually prefer a more hl balance. Add a leather grip and an overgrip, bringing the weight to 11.4 oz (11oz stock) and almost 5pts hl. It swings much better and feels even more substantial. Easy power and spin, giving good margin for error. Great for baseline counterpunching. One of the best from baseline. Backhand slice floats a bit at first, takes a little adjustment. Control is good. Feels more maneuverable at the net with leather grip added and easy put away power. Nice paint job. The racquet's sturdy look makes you feel want to kill the balls just holding it in your hands.

KFwinds
05-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Tried the PB8 last month. First Volkl I've hit with since the DNX 9 a few yrs back. The PB8 was very rich in feel as others have mentioned, and the power vs. control ratio was just about right. The demo had TF NRG 16g strings in it (from TW). Only problem I had with this stick was that it somehow felt sluggish, despite it's light-ish static weight. I ended up going with the Dunlop AG 500 for now, but I'm very interested in trying the new Head Speed racquets (particularly the lite version) soon...

snoopy
05-12-2009, 11:07 AM
KF, I bet you normally use pretty headlight frames. I do, and whenever I use a racquet with a more even balance, the racquet feels sluggish. This is so, even if the frame has a swingweight I know I can handle. I found the PB 8, the Pure Drive, APD, and the Radical Pro, all to be sluggish. I really liked the APD and PB 8 (the APD is more spinny, the 8 has better control). I don't know if I should just get one of those sticks and try and adjust my game or I should stick with a racquet that feels more natural to swing. I need to stop worrying about racquets until my game improves.

Shangri La
05-12-2009, 11:12 AM
KF, I bet you normally use pretty headlight frames. I do, and whenever I use a racquet with a more even balance, the racquet feels sluggish. This is so, even if the frame has a swingweight I know I can handle. I found the PB 8, the Pure Drive, APD, and the Radical Pro, all to be sluggish. I really liked the APD and PB 8 (the APD is more spinny, the 8 has better control). I don't know if I should just get one of those sticks and try and adjust my game or I should stick with a racquet that feels more natural to swing. I need to stop worrying about racquets until my game improves.

Same here. For me, the leather grip made quite a difference in maneuverability and the added bonus is even better feel and stability, while still keeping the total weight manageable.

yuh118
05-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Since PB8 is a light racquet, I am not sure how stable it is. I used to have a light one. When I hit a bit off center, it got unstable and unpredictable, especially when I played with hard hitters. Can you tell me if this one solves this problem?

I prefer head light model. It fits my swing style better. Do you feel this is head light racquet, or more even balance?
Thanks a lot!

marsh
05-13-2009, 08:05 AM
It is deffinitely a head light racquet. I currently have approx 6 grams at 10 and 2 and 2 grams on the neck just above the grip. I'm still not happy with this setup, but I deffinitely like the larger sweet spot. Any one have any recommendations?

I currently have it strung with x-1 biphase 17 at 57 lbs.

yuh118
05-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Just bought and had a trial yesterday. Prestrung 56 lb with a cheap string (sucks). but still get some idea of this PB8 (in comparison to Babolat PD)
1. Power is a bit lower, but more controllable
2. Volly is better, very precise
Will change string and expect better feel
BTW - if this support hybrid string? There is no main tie off hole.