PDA

View Full Version : Babolat warranty?

Winners or Errors
03-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Looking at a couple of Babolat frames. In particular, I find it disturbing that there are several comments in the customer review section on the Pure Storm about frames breaking and Babolat refusing to replace them. I frame a fair amount of tennis balls. Something to be concerned about?

Thanks from anyone with feedback. Part of it's the frame, and part of it's the company behind it.

cheers
03-14-2009, 07:24 PM
I had 2 Babolat PDR's that cracked. 1 broke while stringing (drop weight + poly) and 1 from a framed overhead. They were both brand new. I took them to my local tennis shop and asked if they would talk to their Babolat rep since they have better rapport with the rep than with me. He looked at both racquets and noticed that neither have any signs of abuse and said he would take care of it or replace it straight up out of store stock. Granted, this tennis shop is really good about this kind of thing, but he did mention Babolat was very strict about warranty. He said he's only seen about 10% of Babolat warranty requests get fulfilled.

Long story short.... In about 1.5 months I received replacements for both PDR's WITH new racquet covers.

If you have any frame problems, I would take it to your local tennis shop and see if they can talk to the rep for you.

Winners or Errors
03-14-2009, 09:21 PM
I did a search of the forum, something I probably should have done in the first place. A few comments like yours, about Babolat being stingy with warranty replacements. A smaller number stating that Babolat took care of them. Perhaps Babolat doesn't care, but if I shell out $500 for three racquets, you can bet I want them replaced if they break in the normal course of play. Frankly, what's been said here is scaring me from Babolat. That said, there are a number of Babolat fans on the forum, and I am interested in hearing positive stories. I like the racquet.

cheers
03-14-2009, 09:49 PM
I wouldn' be too worried. I'm just sharing my experiences and I may be a very extreme case. It's pretty extraordinary for a racquet to crack or break without some sort of abuse involved. It's even more extraordinary to have 2 brand new ones break in 2 different ways. My first break could've resulted from letting the drop weight on my stringer drop too fast or because it's a cheesy 2-mount $130 stringer I've had for years. The second crack was a wickedly missed overhead and I took a full, hard cut at the ball and hit it right at 2 o'clock on the hoop. I don't swing softly by any means and I've broken racquets at the throat and head a few times before over the years either serving or with overheads.

I think you'll be fine. Babolat makes some very fine sticks and unless something very unique happens, you should be able to enjoy them for years.

Winners or Errors
03-15-2009, 05:13 AM
Thanks. I too take some pretty violent cuts at the ball, and I've been known to frame my fair share. I also have one of those $130 dropweight stringers, though I've never broken a racquet stringing with it.

Glad to hear Babolat took care of you, and I will be purchasing from an authorized dealer, either my local pro shop or TW, so I suspect I'll get some assistance there.