PDA

View Full Version : What was the last version of the POG OS to be 8-10 pts HL?

AndrewD
03-14-2009, 05:39 PM
I bought my POG OS (from TW) back in 2005. The balance was a disappointing 5pts HL and a 335 swingweight - a combination I have no interest in. At the time TW was listing the specs as being 9pts HL and 326 swingweight (pretty much unchanged since the first specs I can find from 1998) - something they've now changed to 5pts HL and 333 swingweight.

Am I right in thinking that the currently available version of the POG OS is the first one to change from the 8-10pts HL, 328-ish swingweight range ?

Or, did that change to a less head light balance and higher swingweight happen with an earlier version?

OnyxZ28
03-14-2009, 05:45 PM
AndrewD, from what I can tell the Tour is the version to implement the change.

Bud
03-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Prince was, perhaps, trying to keep up with the more powerful racquets being introduced by other companies without conducting a major update to their classic frame.

The easiest way to make the same frame more powerful is to increase the balance/SW... i.e. the frame is closer to even balance.

I have a brand new four-striper and a 1-striper I'll obtain the specs from.

Update: my 4-stripers are 10-11 pts. HL strung.

I never realized the 4-stripers were so HL!

I'd venture to guess that the 4-stripers were the last of the really HL POGOS. I don't own a 'Straight Shaft' version... so unless someone can get specs of it... I'll go with the 4-striper.

AndrewD
03-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Prince was, perhaps, trying to keep up with the more powerful racquets being introduced by other companies without conducting a major update to their classic frame.

My thoughts exactly. Also that when the POG OS was introduced the game was played more up at the net than at the baseline so there was more need for a head light balance. Today that position is reversed and game style is suited best by a more Even balance.

Previously, you broke the POG OS history down into

POG1 - grommetless - 1 stripe (teardrop head - no bumper)
POG2 - single grommets - 1 stripe (teardrop head - no bumper)
POG3 - grommet strip - 1 stripe (modern head + bumper)
POG4 - grommet strip - 4 stripe (modern head + bumper)
POG5 - "Straight Shaft"
[B]POG 5.5 - "Anniversary" (specs seem to be a little different)
POG6 - "Tour" - current POG

Do you have any idea what the dates were? Going by TW I can see that the know the Tour came out in

OnyxZ28 I have a sneaking suspicion you might be correct (typical that I'd buy the Tour LOL)

Bud
03-15-2009, 09:59 PM
My thoughts exactly. Also that when the POG OS was introduced the game was played more up at the net than at the baseline so there was more need for a head light balance. Today that position is reversed and game style is suited best by a more Even balance.

Previously, you broke the POG OS history down into

POG1 - grommetless - 1 stripe (teardrop head - no bumper)
POG2 - single grommets - 1 stripe (teardrop head - no bumper)
POG3 - grommet strip - 1 stripe (modern head + bumper)
POG4 - grommet strip - 4 stripe (modern head + bumper)
POG5 - "Straight Shaft"
[B]POG 5.5 - "Anniversary" (specs seem to be a little different)
POG6 - "Tour" - current POG

Do you have any idea what the dates were? Going by TW I can see that the know the Tour came out in

OnyxZ28 I have a sneaking suspicion you might be correct (typical that I'd buy the Tour LOL)

Thanks for that addition. I quickly wrote those down by memory and wasn't completely sure I got them all.

It would be nice to have the years each was produced and the specs.

Keifers
03-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Andrew,
I'm wondering if this might be of help:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.tennis-warehouse.com

For instance, in Jan, 2001, TW offered both the Prince Graphite 20th Anniversary (http://web.archive.org/web/20001204054300/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=GR20A) and the Prince Graphite Classic (Original) (http://web.archive.org/web/20001204063100/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=GRO).

On quick glance, TW's specs look the same for both versions, though...