PDA

View Full Version : MG Instinct Club

marosmith
03-14-2009, 07:24 PM
I have one of these and love it, doesn't seem like they're wildly popular, but maybe we can start a club, discuss mods etc....

darkhorse
04-21-2009, 01:06 PM
I just got an MG Instinct as a replacement for my Flexpoint Instinct. I have strung with ALU Rough in the mains @ 53 lbs and PSG w/D at 55 lbs in the crosses. Unfortunately I haven't gotten a chance to hit with it yet (school has taken over my life the past couple weeks).

I'm really excited about trying it, though, especially with this new string set up. I was using a full PSG w/D set up at 55lbs but I felt like I needed a little more spin and ALU Rough was suggested to me.

d wayne
04-22-2009, 05:33 AM
As noted there isn't much discussion of these racquets. I had previously demo'd the LM & FXP versions of the Instinct & didn't play well with them. For some reason, I clicked with the MG Instinct. Very solid racquet from anywhere on the court. The only modification I have made is a leather grip, as it was just a bit light in stock form.
I think the problem with this racquet's lack of popularity is that most Head users go for the Radical or Prestige.
The Instinct is similar to the Babolat PD, APD, and Prince 03 White that are hugely popular and seem to be the first choice in this spec range
Instinct has been a great choice for my 4.0 all court game

marosmith
04-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Strung mine with gut recently and added a leather TW replacement grip. It plays great. I just don't like the PJ. I think that's the same reason alot of folks get the prestige or radical.

Radical
04-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi, folks. I'm from Hong Kong and found MG Instinct in local shop which is strung with Head Sonic 17 with attactive price (around USD110). To fulfill my curosity, I simply bought it without demo and replace leather grip. Before it was bought, I am impressed by its specification on paper but worry about the control concern and hollow-feeling.

Big surprise after first hit, it gave me decent power, amper control although some balls sailed long a bit, the feel is very firm (of course, I can't describe it "rock-solid" because the weight is lighter than 12oz).

Why this racquet is not so popular? Very simple, Head's marketing strategy only focuses on those main product lines, such as prestige, radical and extreme.
I'm afraid INSTINCT line will be faded out which will be replaced by EXTREME.

I hope to use this thread to share my 2-cent idea over this racquet.

marosmith
04-26-2009, 09:10 PM
I agree, the paint job and the name just don't get people that excited. This is a good racket. I put about half an ounce of lead, including at 3 and 9, added a leather grip, and with some overgrip and natural gut it is quite the stick. I would say nearly 11 3/4 an oz, and now it has good plow. The extreme is so different, stiffer and more spin oriented, and I think the Instinct should stay. Head just needs to market it a little better, maybe add a 16/19 one.

Radical
04-26-2009, 10:24 PM
marosmith, are you using full set natural gut? By the way, how many this racquet you have? I will get one or two more but don't know how good the "quality control" provided by Head. Significant difference of weight among the same model racquet is very common nowadays.

0d1n
04-27-2009, 02:41 AM
I agree, the paint job and the name just don't get people that excited. This is a good racket. I put about half an ounce of lead, including at 3 and 9, added a leather grip, and with some overgrip and natural gut it is quite the stick. I would say nearly 11 3/4 an oz, and now it has good plow. The extreme is so different, stiffer and more spin oriented, and I think the Instinct should stay. Head just needs to market it a little better, maybe add a 16/19 one.

I disagree with the "bold" part. I think this racket line is great exactly due to the fact that it has 18 mains. Due to the 18 mains and slightly softer flex it also has much better control/feel IMO than the Pure Drive line (and other competitors in the same spec range).
The 16x19 niche is already filled by the Extreme...let's keep it that way :).
I don't use this racket line, but I COULD use it with leather, slight grip modifications and some lead.
I COULD NOT use the Pure Drive (and equivalent) as my main, due to flex/control issues.

PS Despite the 18 mains I think anybody with decent technique can spin the sh1t out of the ball with this racket, it is VERY spin friendly in my experience.

marosmith
04-27-2009, 08:53 PM
marosmith, are you using full set natural gut? By the way, how many this racquet you have? I will get one or two more but don't know how good the "quality control" provided by Head. Significant difference of weight among the same model racquet is very common nowadays.

I think the qc is fine. On par with Wilson.

Gugafan
04-28-2009, 06:00 AM
I have two LM instincts....Dont really use them but they have alot of pop and slightly more weight then the MG version. They were voted racquet of the year by many tennis magazines.

Anyone interested email me

kuerten@hotmail.co.uk

marosmith
05-01-2009, 11:21 PM
lol....--------

darkhorse
05-03-2009, 03:51 PM
After hitting with the MG Instinct I like it a lot more than the Flexpoint version. It seems a lot more stable, especially at net. I'm gonna put a leather grip on it and see if the added weight helps out any, but overall I really like it.

Ljubicic for number1
06-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Had a hit with a friends MG Instinct tonight and was very impressed with it, I wasn't expecting much after trying the FXP version earlier and not enjoying it but the MG feels fantastic, great spin for a 18 main racquet and effortless 1 hand backhands. Nice ride indeed.

etd
07-09-2009, 03:27 PM
The MG Instinct is a very good all around racket. The only "modification" I made was to put a layer of head tape on the head guard.

Radical
07-09-2009, 07:42 PM
etd, I wonder it is too head-heavy for your setting. I prefer to replace the orginal grip with leather ones which makes more heft and head-light. Anyway, thanks for your sharing.

Ljubicic for number1
07-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Am still looking to add one of these to my racquet collection when one pops up for trade, they are very unpopular in Australia though, so they are few and far between on the forum or the bay. They are pretty cheap new here but I don't need one that bad.

etd
07-10-2009, 06:53 PM
etd, I wonder it is too head-heavy for your setting. I prefer to replace the orginal grip with leather ones which makes more heft and head-light. Anyway, thanks for your sharing.

One layer of head tape on the head guard is the most I would modify any racket. I don't care for using lead tape. The one layer of head tape worked for me on this one as I felt the racket was more manueverable than its swingweight suggested (just like what was mentioned in the Tennis Warehouse review). Even with the head tape, the MG Instinct is still manueverable.

I am very pleased with the MG Instinct. It is not my main racket. I use it specifically for singles matches on clay where I need a little help with swing speed and spin from the baseline. I normally play with a Head Pro Tour 280, a traditional 12 ounce head light racket, on the hardcourts and for doubles.