PDA

View Full Version : How much does a racquet affect a player?

gangster33
03-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Say 100% is the highest level a person can play at.

what % comes from the racquet
what % comes from the player

Bud
03-15-2009, 12:37 AM
Say 100% is the highest level a person can play at.

what % comes from the racquet
what % comes from the player

Assuming it's a nice, solid, well-built racquet and not some piece of junk from WM, IMO...

10% racquet
90% player

gangster33
03-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Assuming it's a nice, solid, well-built racquet and not some piece of junk from WM, IMO...

Yes. (10char)

Winners or Errors
03-15-2009, 05:38 AM

10% racquet
90% player

Of course, if you lose 10% of the points because of an ill chosen racquet, you will lose quite a few matches.

I think it goes back to that thread on "sameness." If you change from one racquet to another with any frequency, your timing will be off. If you have strokes grooved for a stick with a SW less than 310, you will most likely struggle with one with a SW above 340 because you simply won't be able to get it around unless you're on top of your game.

Finding a racquet that works and sticking with it is, IMHO, the best way to get that 10% to 0%, which is probably where it should be.

Chicken Neck
03-15-2009, 06:17 AM
I think the degree to which a player is impacted by a racquet can vary greatly. Some people I have known really do not care much about the frame they use where others care a great deal. Much of the affect is, I think, psychological but if you don't think you can play well or win with a particular stick, odds are you can't.

Joey
03-15-2009, 06:46 AM
I would add that choosing/using the right racquet for your level of play definitely helps

MethodTennis
03-15-2009, 11:17 AM
90% player 10% racket

louis netman
03-15-2009, 08:53 PM
playing the right frame builds confidence.

quest01
03-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Choosing the right racquet can make a huge difference in how one plays. If you are playing someone who is equal to you or around the same level, a matter of one or two points can make the difference between winning a set or a match. Tennis is mostly a game of inches where winning a few critical points can mean the difference between winning or losing so absolutely choosing the right racquet can make a huge difference.

charliefedererer
03-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Too powerful a racquet in a developing player will encourage bad habits, like an abbreviated stroke, or "pushing". Also it will be harder to develop topspin, because of the "trampoline effect. During a match, there will be an over reliance on power, rather than in learning on how to construct a point. There will be less tennis played, as points end quickly, often with the opponent yelling "Out."

ronalditop
03-16-2009, 10:50 AM
70% player, 30% racquet.

eagle
03-16-2009, 11:32 AM
I think it is also mental. With this I mean it depends on how happy and comfortable the player is with the racquet.

I think you tend to play better confident that the racquet is a match to your needs and playing ability. You tend to hit more freely. You go for your shots. You instinctively hit the ball without thinking about every nuance of the stick.

In truth, the racquet may not be the best match for him but if he thinks it is and in the process plays well with it, then the racquet has indeed helped him. How many folks do you know wield a racquet you know isn't compatible with their ability or style of play? :)

So, in that sense I believe the racquet does affect the player's performance.

2 cents.

r,
eagle