PDA

View Full Version : APDC vs. APDC+... any difference?

jcstennis
03-15-2009, 05:39 AM
Played the Plus yesterday, very nice. But yet to try the standard version.

What have you found to be different between the two?

The Plus swung a little light for me... groundies (especially FH) were insane, 1HBH with big top spin motion/swing was nice. Serving, so-so.

I usually can't get my head past the fact that i am playing an extended racquet, i will be trying the Standard next... what should i expect from the Standard?

thanks,

j

Lendl
03-15-2009, 05:58 AM
I did the same, started with the + and now use the standard. I'm sure like you it was just in my head but I find the standard FAR superior, especially on groundstrokes. That half inch seems so small so I'm sure it is just a mental game knowing I am now using a different racket.

Played the Plus yesterday, very nice. But yet to try the standard version.

What have you found to be different between the two?

The Plus swung a little light for me... groundies (especially FH) were insane, 1HBH with big top spin motion/swing was nice. Serving, so-so.

I usually can't get my head past the fact that i am playing an extended racquet, i will be trying the Standard next... what should i expect from the Standard?

thanks,

j

nadalfan!
03-15-2009, 06:41 AM
I think the only difference is that the plus has a little bit higher swing weight. Other than that, they're the same.

julianoz
03-15-2009, 09:17 AM
the + amazingly somehow has less feel. dont do it.

jcstennis
03-15-2009, 10:56 AM
I did the same, started with the + and now use the standard. I'm sure like you it was just in my head but I find the standard FAR superior, especially on groundstrokes. That half inch seems so small so I'm sure it is just a mental game knowing I am now using a different racket.

Good to know... the groundstrokes were nice with the Plus... but if the standard is that much better :)

Thanks for the info!

jcstennis
03-15-2009, 10:58 AM
I think the only difference is that the plus has a little bit higher swing weight. Other than that, they're the same.

Even though this style racquet is lighter than what i use or am use to... if they are off by just a couple of points, i should be fine... i plan to weight one up anyway.

thanks for the update, good info! :)

jcstennis
03-15-2009, 11:03 AM
the + amazingly somehow has less feel. dont do it.

amazingly... meaning the Standard is that good?! :) the demo i played had an overgrip on it and was strung with syn gut strings (PSGD). the sweet spot was large, but the upper part of the string bed was dull, the flex was ok, a bit of ping (a rubber band dampener fixed that)... the feedback from the hoop/stringbed was ok... the feedback i got the most from the plus was from the throat and handle,,, i could really tell when i connected with a great shot... it's encouraging to hear the standard exceeds the plus in this category!

thanks for the feedback!

EasleyTennis
03-15-2009, 12:37 PM
I love the ground strokes from the standard, but for some reason my serve isn't as on with it.

Nanshiki
03-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Try both and don't buy a racquet you haven't played with.

quest01
03-15-2009, 08:16 PM
The plus version has slightly more spin, power and reach but the higher swing weight makes it less maneuverable. The 1/2 inch difference which may seem small makes a huge difference in feel, its amazing what a 1/2 inch difference in length can make. If you use a two handed backhand the plus version feels pretty nice.

brownbearfalling
03-16-2009, 12:58 AM
I've never bothered with extra long racquets. The few old "longbody" Prince racquets that i tried made me hate the extra length. So now i don't even bother with looking at the extra long racquets.

So find out if you like the extra length or not and that preference is very universal.

gh65721
03-16-2009, 07:00 AM
I agree with quest, the + is hard to maneuver at the net, but I love how it serves. Very powerful also.

sandflea
03-16-2009, 07:20 AM
I've played with both and I currently play with a tecnifibre 325 which is 27.4 inches long. For me, the standard APD is a better volleying stick, I just couldn't get comfortable with the + at all even when I added lead to make it more head light. Serves were an advantage with the plus, but not enough to negate the volleying problem that I had. The standard APD seems to play longer than it's length... I was getting plenty of jump off the top of the string bed on lunging shots. Power advantage goes to the +, but the standard has enough.