PDA

View Full Version : Head Graphite Edge question

Caloi
03-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Local shop has one of these for very cheap.
https://www.tennis******.com/edge.jpg

replace ****** with M-E-N-A-C-E no dashes. :rolling eyes:

This is exactly what it looks like, even though this came from another site....

The only marks on the frame were the Head, and the Graphite Edge and an engraving on the side of the throat...four numbers, don't remember them.

I'm going to go buy it today, anything to look out for?

Bear with me, I'm learning more and more about racquets...total newb if you will.

Edit again: Appears to be the AMF with the yellow and red stripes, FWIW. Shop opens soon.

Also, they had a a Wilson Pro Staff "Original" 6.0 racquet cover. I know the racquets have a cult folowing, are the covers worth anything? THis thing looked mint.

plasma
03-15-2009, 09:16 AM
graphite edge is a players racquet (performancewise) on par with the f200, R22, pc600, ps 85 and 200g. For some strange reason the 22's and edges only go for $20 or so, even though they offer splendid performance. What a sublime cheap date!!!...like a supermodel at the downstairs bus stop, fiddling with her map, with a puzzled look on her face...about to "check out Plasma's etchings" and sample the most authentic, healthy and sweetest falaffels ever....
http://i41.tinypic.com/un5ht.jpg
does this racquet have a US flag near the throat??? pics pls....

Caloi
03-15-2009, 12:52 PM
I went and picked it up.

The ONLY marking is the numbers near the throat 3032 or somethign like that. No stickers anywhere. I took a couple pictures but I'm off to a kid's b-day party. I'll get the photos hosted later. Also, for some reason it has a Prince butt cap and a Babolat leather grip.

Regardless, for $7.00 it's totally worth it to me.

racquetfreak
03-15-2009, 03:49 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/un5ht.jpg

i have not had dinner yet. that pic is simply droologenic! getchur hands off my food.

Rabbit
03-15-2009, 05:51 PM
My old doubles partner played with this frame back when I played with the PK Silver Ace and then the ProStaff. The frames he had were mediums and that thing was a BEAST.

Caloi
03-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Well, I never got the pictures hosted last night. After dealing with a kid's birthday party, ten -six and seven year olds running around, screaming...my head was about to explode.

Anyway, I wrapped the grip last night and am going to try to hit with it today or tomorrow.

Sounds like I didn't quite find a treasure but found a playable racquet. I'm pretty psyched to go hit it.

plasma
03-16-2009, 11:05 AM
as possibly one of the ten greatest racquets ever I think that indeed you did find a treasure...

Caloi
03-16-2009, 12:37 PM
as possibly one of the ten greatest racquets ever I think that indeed you did find a treasure...

I absolutely love this thing! I just got back and still a bit sweaty, so the endorphines are running high at the moment. I've got to tell you, I will be on the lookout for at least one more of these.

Not sure what strings are in this thing but I was surprised at how well I could get spin on the ball. It really plows through the strike zone and feels very stable! These strings are a light guage black string w/ zero markings. I figured they were old so I'll need to restring it sometime.

So, back to classic racquet talk, where would I find the stringing pattern/instructions for this racquet?

Remember this thing has absolutely zero markings on it other than the factory "HEAD" and "Graphite Edge", no stickers, no specs, etc.

I researched and found it stock at roughly 12.8 oz, I did the balance yesterday on my dining table and came up with 16pts head light. Seemed wrong but measured the balance at 11.5". (13.5-11.5=2/.125=16)Did I do this wrong?

Last but not least, it's got a Prince buttcap. Not sure why but I guess it doesn't matter much unless they weighted it. i don't have a scale to weight this particular one.

jorel
03-16-2009, 01:07 PM
I absolutely love this thing! I just got back and still a bit sweaty, so the endorphines are running high at the moment. I've got to tell you, I will be on the lookout for at least one more of these.

Not sure what strings are in this thing but I was surprised at how well I could get spin on the ball. It really plows through the strike zone and feels very stable! These strings are a light guage black string w/ zero markings. I figured they were old so I'll need to restring it sometime.

So, back to classic racquet talk, where would I find the stringing pattern/instructions for this racquet?

Remember this thing has absolutely zero markings on it other than the factory "HEAD" and "Graphite Edge", no stickers, no specs, etc.

I researched and found it stock at roughly 12.8 oz, I did the balance yesterday on my dining table and came up with 16pts head light. Seemed wrong but measured the balance at 11.5". (13.5-11.5=2/.125=16)Did I do this wrong?

Last but not least, it's got a Prince buttcap. Not sure why but I guess it doesn't matter much unless they weighted it. i don't have a scale to weight this particular one.
they only go for about $10 on the bay

plasma
03-16-2009, 01:56 PM
I TOLD YOU, that you scored!!!

Deuce
03-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Is the finish on it matte or glossy?

One thing to watch out for are the grommets. On these old racquets, the grommets tend to dry out over time (unless they were kept in a humid environment, I suppose...).

Don't be surprised if the grommets disintegrate and turn to powder when you remove the strings.
If that happens, you won't find a Graphite Edge grommet strip - so the best thing to do would be to buy a grommet strip for a current racquet (18x20 would be best), and cut the strip into individual grommets.
It'll be a bit of a pain to string that way - but this is one frame which is well worth any extra effort.

MichaelChang
03-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Regardless, for $7.00 it's totally worth it to me.

Are you saying you paid only 7 bucks for the edge? damn it. :twisted::)

Caloi
03-17-2009, 07:38 AM

That's what I'm saying!

Finally got a picture this morning.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs037.snc1/2667_1046786288126_1179746694_30140117_7440819_n.j pg

P.S. THanks for the above heads up regarding the grommet strip. I'll keep an eye out if/when I go to restring.

Now, will this work for restringing this racquet? It's the closest thing I could find to the Edge:

GRAPHITE MASTER 55 - 72 19'M - 17'C 18M X 19C 9T - 8,10B 9B 9T 6T - 7B

That came off the Klipper site.

Caloi
03-18-2009, 12:13 PM
One quick bump to see if anyone knows if the above stringing method will work on my Edge. I can't seem to find anything specific to the Edge, and the stringing pattern on the racquet looks very strange to me. There are multiple crosses toward the throat, almost looks made up if you will.

Any insight appreciated!

retrowagen
03-18-2009, 12:29 PM
One quick bump to see if anyone knows if the above stringing method will work on my Edge. I can't seem to find anything specific to the Edge, and the stringing pattern on the racquet looks very strange to me. There are multiple crosses toward the throat, almost looks made up if you will.

Any insight appreciated!

String tension 55-65 lbs., pattern 18m x 19c, start (loop) H, mains skip 9T & 9H, tie off mains 6T.

or consult http://www.sptennis.com/patterns/FramesHead.html

Caloi
03-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Thank you very much. I appreciate that!

Bookmarked for future reference!

I can tell you that's NOT what was done to my racquet. :shrug:

plasma
03-18-2009, 01:30 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/kah5k5.jpg
this is the "silverback" graphite tour....no twaron like the txe but much stiffer than the edge...
http://i44.tinypic.com/10nyou8.jpg
81 square inch silverback
he has no natural enemies, only other marauding males,
with all the sweatshop models on in the jungle his pride has taken scrapes,
yet younger bigger males are not quick to challenge him and respect his proven power,
no soft touchy sensetive side like his cousin the graphite edge

Caloi
03-18-2009, 01:56 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/kah5k5.jpg
this is the "silverback" graphite tour....no twaron like the txe but much stiffer than the edge...
http://i44.tinypic.com/10nyou8.jpg
81 square inch silverback
he has no natural enemies, only other marauding males,
with all the sweatshop models on in the jungle his pride has taken scrapes,
yet younger bigger males are not quick to challenge him and respect his proven power,
no soft touchy sensetive side like his cousin the graphite edge

That thing needs some court rash to be considered a warrior of the jungle. ;)

jimbo333
03-18-2009, 04:50 PM
And a true warrior would be naked, not wearing something from the "Wilson" tribe:):)

pshulam
03-18-2009, 05:43 PM
1X $7.00 Head Graphite Edge (Looking for another!)

You got a better bargain than I did. I paid $16 for one. It had brand new string, multi-filament 16g, nevertheless.

Bud
03-18-2009, 06:06 PM
You got a better bargain than I did. I paid $16 for one. It had brand new string, multi-filament 16g, nevertheless.

Currently, there are a ton of GE's on the market.

Caloi
03-19-2009, 07:42 AM
Currently, there are a ton of GE's on the market.

Find me one in playable shape for $20 or less that is not on the bay. I will not pay $15-$20 shipping just out of principle.

Caloi
03-19-2009, 07:44 AM
And a true warrior would be naked, not wearing something from the "Wilson" tribe:):)

Good point, however this thing came like Frankenstein! It's got a Babolat leather grip, a Prince buttcap...figured a Wilson over gip would round it out nicely. :)

pshulam
03-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Find me one in playable shape for $20 or less that is not on the bay. I will not pay $15-$20 shipping just out of principle.
Good luck in your quest to purchase another one for $7 - $10 range. I got a Wilson Sting from Goodwill for $1.99, but I do not expect anyone from the Classified Ad from this forum or fleabay would offer that price.

Caloi
03-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Good luck in your quest to purchase another one for $7 - $10 range. I got a Wilson Sting from Goodwill for $1.99, but I do not expect anyone from the Classified Ad from this forum or fleabay would offer that price.

Got one for $10 + $10 shipping. Had we not had a blizzard yesterday it would have probably have been here today. Grrrrrr :evil: It should be here Monday now.

pshulam
03-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Got one for $10 + $10 shipping. Had we not had a blizzard yesterday it would have probably have been here today. Grrrrrr :evil: It should be here Monday now.
Cool - good hitting with it.

plasma
03-28-2009, 01:49 AM
I recommend vs gut (even though I can't personally afford it at the moment), a head edge with vs gut feels almost as good as hitting with Anna Kournikova....naked....I say this from experience mind you, vs gut transcends the space time continuum by being stiff when strung softly and soft when strung tightly, effectively redefining everything we know of time, space, love, death and thought itself....

edberger
03-31-2009, 12:29 PM
I just scored a Graphite Edge from a local thrift shop for $5! Strung it up with my normal Big Ace/Maxim Touch hybrid and looking forward to trying it out tonight.

edberger
03-31-2009, 12:35 PM

wow, i measured mine on a balance board (strung plus overgrip) and got 6 pts HL. that's a big difference! weight was about 355 grams.

pshulam
03-31-2009, 07:01 PM
I just scored a Graphite Edge from a local thrift shop for $5! Strung it up with my normal Big Ace/Maxim Touch hybrid and looking forward to trying it out tonight.

What kind of thrift store? Goodwill? Let us know how you like the racket.

plasma
03-31-2009, 09:48 PM
are the matte and the glossy the same? I have a matte strung with vs gut. It plays like a stratocsaster/strativarius. Unfortunately it's 4 1/2 and not 3/8. I tried to get photos of the black vs gut but my camera couldn't zoom in clearly. I bet they're the same or very similar (the matte and glossy), that gut makes a huge playability difference though, now I finally know why "vs gut" picked his pen-name...

edberger
03-31-2009, 10:26 PM
What kind of thrift store? Goodwill? Let us know how you like the racket.

Got it at an Amvets store.

Just got back from playing a set of doubles with it. Compared to my main stick, the PC600, it was quite a change, mostly because of the balance (6pts vs 9pts) and the increased flex. It's a racket that definitely rewards good preparation and technique. What you get in return is a buttery, yet solid, feel that plows through balls like a sledgehammer. You can generate some heavy groundies and flat serves. I'd say it plays very similar to the Max 200g.

Best $5 I ever spent!

plasma
03-31-2009, 10:39 PM
that's the most accurate description ever. i wish they made an 83 edge in addition to the 81. The 81 is too small and my ps 85 is waay too big. Plasma theory states that every square inch increases grounstroke distance by almost 1 foot. Therefore the 88 feels 3 feet bigger to a high level player, not 3 square inches bigger...

jimbo333
04-01-2009, 03:42 AM
that's the most accurate description ever. i wish they made an 83 edge in addition to the 81. The 81 is too small and my ps 85 is waay too big. Plasma theory states that every square inch increases grounstroke distance by almost 1 foot. Therefore the 88 feels 3 feet bigger to a high level player, not 3 square inches bigger...

Like I've always said, an extra inch makes all the difference:)

pshulam
04-01-2009, 05:00 AM
Like I've always said, an extra inch makes all the difference:)
Are we still talking about head size?

pshulam
04-01-2009, 05:03 AM
It's a racket that definitely rewards good preparation and technique.

Umm .. I better start improving my technique.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the racket.

Caloi
04-01-2009, 07:20 AM
wow, i measured mine on a balance board (strung plus overgrip) and got 6 pts HL. that's a big difference! weight was about 355 grams.

I was WAY off. I built a balance board this weekend and to the best of my knowledge the specs in my sig are accurate.

Enjoy the new racquet!

BTW, how are the grommets? My original that I got from P.I.A.S with the Prince buttcap has perfect grommets. The twin that I just got has very beat up grommets.

I've got a strip to cut up and will post a detailed step by step when I get around to replacing it.

Also, do all Edges measure under 27"? #1 is at 26.5+ while #2 is at 26 3/4".

edberger
04-01-2009, 08:54 PM
My GE measures in at 26 7/8". The grommets are probably in 6/10 condition...not surprising for such an old racket. BTW, does anybody know when these rackets were in production? Since switching to Prestiges last year, I've been interested in their heritage...

Caloi - thanks for starting this post.

plasma
04-01-2009, 11:54 PM
some say the head edge dates back 1,100 years to the Mer (Khmer) empire, reliefs found at Angkor Wat seem to support this claim that the Austrians stole what was once an ancient Cambodian battlefield weapon, used to quickly dispatch several adversaries...
http://i42.tinypic.com/2qvbn7n.jpg
original graphite edge, circa 900 AD

Tasmanian Devil
04-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Do any of you want to guess or actually know the sw for the gloss vs. matte?
I have several gloss models and one matte version. The matte version is by far the most solid & plush racquet I have ever hit with.

Caloi
04-02-2009, 08:22 AM
My GE measures in at 26 7/8". The grommets are probably in 6/10 condition...not surprising for such an old racket. BTW, does anybody know when these rackets were in production? Since switching to Prestiges last year, I've been interested in their heritage...

Caloi - thanks for starting this post.
No problem...mine was a true steal at $7.00 for the first one at Play it again, down the street. The second was worth every penny $20 shipped. I am only playing these racquets now.
Do any of you want to guess or actually know the sw for the gloss vs. matte?
I have several gloss models and one matte version. The matte version is by far the most solid & plush racquet I have ever hit with.
No clue as I'm still learning about these racquets, but I'm sure the smart people here could come up with something.

plasma
04-02-2009, 08:42 AM
my matte feels very solid and plush as well, wish I could trade it for a matte 3/8! not sure if the playability difference is due to the VS gut; but it does out-perform it's glossy sister...

jimbo333
04-02-2009, 09:52 AM
I would certainly agree the matte version is better than the gloss, they do seem quite different:)

NoNameZ
04-19-2009, 05:46 PM
are there any shared holes when stringing this racket? i couldn't figure it out when i tried to string it.

Caloi
04-20-2009, 07:54 AM
are there any shared holes when stringing this racket? i couldn't figure it out when i tried to string it.

There are 12 shared holes; 7,8, 10 H&T. :shock:

schu47
04-20-2009, 01:49 PM
I just got this Special Edition Edge. It's a composite, in the same mold as the Graphite Edge, but a graphite/fiberglass composite. It says it's a medium flex, and 81.1 sq. in. (not 81, but 81.1!). It feels lighter, but does anybody have the specs for the two of them for comparison or know anything about the Special Edition? Thanks in advance to all you Head Edge experts.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_R75QH658YRs/SezbkZhEW3I/AAAAAAAAVag/wwd1S0X6Sq4/s800/P1020031.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_R75QH658YRs/Sezbkq5fOuI/AAAAAAAAVao/1ilTAPnFpvU/s800/P1020033.JPG

plasma
04-20-2009, 05:36 PM
worlds are colliding, 89.5 graphics on an 81??? customized 81.1's...worlds are colliding!!!!

NoNameZ
04-20-2009, 07:37 PM
wow... thats a nice stick... where'd you get that baby?

plasma
04-21-2009, 12:07 AM
next to Anna Kournikova I have never seen anything so perfect...drool...

KOPT
04-21-2009, 01:36 AM
here is mine,got it as a package with 2 woodies of fl**** for $20 shipped
http://i41.tinypic.com/8xr2nk.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2wqtx4w.jpg

Caloi
04-21-2009, 09:04 AM
here is mine,got it as a package with 2 woodies of fl**** for $20 shipped

What is that stencil? It inspires me to come up with a bunch of different crop circle patterns and start stenciling my racquets!

plasma
04-21-2009, 09:35 AM
wow, that looks like the single grommet (submarine grommet) matte version, the best, the "OG" (original graphite), did the crop circles "just appear"???

Caloi
04-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Hard to tell from the angle, but that appears to be a one piece string job! Just like I attempted with my virgin-like franken-grommet stick!

KOPT
04-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Sorry do dissapoint you,but its a 50/50 string job,is does kinda look like a one piece from and angle.
Hard to tell from the angle, but that appears to be a one piece string job! Just like I attempted with my virgin-like franken-grommet stick!

KOPT
04-21-2009, 04:01 PM
they appeared after i played with a racquet at a local tennis club,i came home and they were just there all of a sudden,maybe aliens are trying to tell me something?

wow, that looks like the single grommet (submarine grommet) matte version, the best, the "OG" (original graphite), did the crop circles "just appear"???

Caloi
04-21-2009, 04:14 PM
i like the crop circles.

I really like my recently acquired Edges. It's the only racquets to see daylight in a few weeks now. Even my rattly, broken-grommet-piece-filled Edge is growing on me. The rattling doesn't bother me at all and it is hitting very nicely with new strings.

Maybe my next string job I'll take some more time to see if I can extract those broken pieces. Family is out of town in the near future leaving Mr. Caloi home alone for the better half of a month. I'll have some time to kill.

pshulam
04-22-2009, 04:35 AM
I just got this Special Edition Edge. It's a composite, in the same mold as the Graphite Edge, but a graphite/fiberglass composite. It says it's a medium flex, and 81.1 sq. in. (not 81, but 81.1!). It feels lighter, but does anybody have the specs for the two of them for comparison or know anything about the Special Edition?
The spec for Head Graphite Edge:
weight: 348g/12.28oz
flex: 44
Swing Weight: 331g

The special edition looks really nice and in great condition! I think the spec is similar. Spec is not important. Play with both rackets to compare.

Bud
04-22-2009, 05:01 AM
The spec for Head Graphite Edge:
weight: 348g/12.28oz
flex: 44
Swing Weight: 331g

The special edition looks really nice and in great condition! I think the spec is similar. Spec is not important. Play with both rackets to compare.

Are you sure the GE is that light, strung? Mine feel heavier than 12.3 oz.

schu47
04-22-2009, 06:17 AM

Bud, I think I need a scale. The Special Ed feels a little lighter to me than the graphite Edge, but that's all I can go on. Seems like it feels heavier to you.

Pshulam, thanks for the specs.

pshulam
04-22-2009, 06:48 AM
it's probably 12.8oz if strung.

Bud
04-22-2009, 09:50 AM
it's probably 12.8oz if strung.

So, it's 12.3 oz. unstrung?

pshulam
04-22-2009, 10:46 AM
^I think so.

plasma
04-22-2009, 11:40 AM
how does "special edddy" compare to the edge? I am officially transiitioning to something smaller than the 85's, 600's, true mids. The regular edge was perfect except for midcourt balls, it had no pop on supershort midcourt shot. Must say that my long, even continuous sampras like groundies were perfectly expressed on the edge shape, and my form seemed somewhat controlled and hidden by the pc600 (which is the "War and Peace" of racquets, superb, beyond all other heads, wilsons, great works of lterature,***** the PC 600 is an invention on par with the Cotton Gin, historic)
My perfect racquet???? I just spent a week saving up for it, 45 bux (thanks to KHW, he and I are like brothers, we've fistfought gangs of large pro fighters in the ghetto; over parking spots with our 89.5's in hand, he and I feed each other info and put "jewels" on each others radar), the txe, I hate that stiff feel, but like with Anna, with the txe I am after her because her external shape attracts me more than the "feelings" I can get anywhere else, Plasma's all about the science of true performance...can the special ed provide plasma the flexebility to be quicker at midcourt and still have the same plough from the backcourt? Will Anna ever stop trying to be so controlling and show more affection to Plasma? it is like a midsize pointing at the moon, try to focus on the braided graphite and you miss all the heavenly glory..

Polaris
05-01-2009, 01:46 PM
This is an awesome racket to play with. I wrote a review of it some time ago on the forum. In case people are interested, here it is:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=134025&highlight=graphite+edge

Caloi
05-01-2009, 02:16 PM
This is an awesome racket to play with. I wrote a review of it some time ago on the forum. In case people are interested, here it is:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=134025&highlight=graphite+edge

Nice review. As the OP I've since bought one more and if things go my way will get two more (matte) Monday. :)

One question, one of my HGE's has a four digit number engraved on the side, all Caps; HEAD. The other I currently have does NOT have the four digit number engraved but is all caps; HEAD. THe two other I am hoping to get Monday both have the numbers engraved, but "Head" not all in caps.

Why would one NOT have the numbers?

One last thing, I see Duece told you about the grommet issue. Did you ever replace yours? I did one of mine and after finally getting the new grommets stretched out and shaving the bumper guard down to nothing more than a strip, I am happy with the results. I need to get some pictures uploaded one of these days to share with the group.

plasma
05-01-2009, 03:39 PM
I love how you reviewed the "Sound" of the head edge...birlliant. When I joined the forum there was a thread about which racquet makes the loudest "POP"...at the time, I thought it was total bull*****... Then I start to notice one day that the "POP" on my vintage racquet is much louder and more tempestuous than modern racquets...
http://i44.tinypic.com/xc8vfo.jpg
I used internal meditative martial arts rebirthing breathing cycyle, co-ordinated with transcendental visualization to go beyond my body and enter the world of where image sound and thought were all one hardcourt extra duty dunlop, humans were tennis balls, foolishly decieved into thinking they controlled their own destiny, swatted around by the loopy invisible strokes of the gods and spirits....
http://i39.tinypic.com/28j877c.jpg
I started to slip out of the state and try to use too much topspin and power, but soon returned realizing that the 'POP' was the cause of the power and not the result...my intention and awareness began lead my body so fluidly that time seemed to slow down and happen before itself, the "POP' sound began to appear as ripples in a pond, the ripples became thoughts, the thoughts became feelings, I travelled to the center of the earth and saw a primitive man about to break a head edge on a rock, this really peaceful natural guy wearing these robes told me not to intervene but the skinny aborigonie was about to smash this classic racquet!!!... the dude in the robes had all these people around him and with palms outstrretched; warned me again not to intervene ... with his arms sticking out to the side he was shaking his head to his friends below him; like "don't people usually get it????" he spoke with his heart saying he'd send me back to a physical purgatory where they would never produce a decent true midsize again for the children of Israel, where some children would digitally retouch cracks on racquets that should be cracked anyways; a world where Taiwans are advertised as St.Vincents, a world of undisclosed warps and hairline fractures, shirts made of a million thorns, and only a 30 day phaypal return policy and no re-imbursement for shipping...brutal!!!!
http://i41.tinypic.com/34zlhr5.jpg
I found my forehand in a brown paper bag...within.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhOKhJaM1QE&feature=related
I just stopped in, to see what condition my St.Vincents, were in....

Polaris
05-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Nice review. As the OP I've since bought one more and if things go my way will get two more (matte) Monday. :)
Lucky you!

One question, one of my HGE's has a four digit number engraved on the side, all Caps; HEAD. The other I currently have does NOT have the four digit number engraved but is all caps; HEAD. THe two other I am hoping to get Monday both have the numbers engraved, but "Head" not all in caps.

Why would one NOT have the numbers?
No idea, really. Just the whim of the manufacturers, I guess.

One last thing, I see Duece told you about the grommet issue. Did you ever replace yours? I did one of mine and after finally getting the new grommets stretched out and shaving the bumper guard down to nothing more than a strip, I am happy with the results. I need to get some pictures uploaded one of these days to share with the group.

Cool. Well, I'm about to do this for the summer. My strings broke last summer, and I went back to my trusty Redondo. But, I'm thinking of stringing with polylon, and one look at my racquet tells me that I'll need to buy new grommet strips, cut them up and use them, as Deuce suggested.

Polaris
05-02-2009, 07:57 PM
plasma, that last post was loads of fun! LOL @ "I found my forehand in a brown paper bag"!

Caloi
05-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Yay! Two more HGE's are on their way to my house. Should be here in a couple days. Grommets appear to be in good shape, one has no string but I'll get it strung up over the weekend.

I think I'll be fine with 4. Otherwise I may just have to join the thread about how to stop racquet addiction!

plasma
05-17-2009, 01:14 AM
can't wait to heal and try my new main stick (txe). Got punished in the boxing ring for listening to countless coaches and not my own experience and common sense. Got back into a set today with the soft therapeutic kneissl masters 25....drop shotted my friend and then lobbed him on my way to a 6-0 win:
"It's like watching a meteor hit you car", he said, as the lob sailed perfectly over his head and dropped an inch inside the baseline...

gymrat76
05-17-2009, 03:47 PM
I decided to test drive the infamous Head Edge when I came across a special edition one, to see if the pop is anything comparable to a Kneissl Lendl Pro (aka Air Rifle) or my gold plated Kalash

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/0/2/3/6/2/4/webimg/267097445_o.jpg

ipitythefool
06-12-2009, 04:11 AM
I just got done playing with a Head Edge! After having played with eons of different racqs., I can most certainly say that this is the best volleying racquet, ever. I have Max 200Gs, SV PS85s and many other classics and new school, nothing can compare to this racquet that I purchased for a ridiculuously low $

If anyone could please assist, I would like to find out about what this racquet is made up of! The racquet has the MOST DISTINCT POP SOUND that I ever heard! I first thought, the awesomely unique pop sound is due to another element, such as strings...they were plain ol' snythetic gut...then I thought may the ball as I was testing against the wall..nothing wrong w/ the ball...then checked if the tension was too loose on the sweetspot..not that either....must be the racquet...RACQUET FEELS SLIGHTLY RUBBERY TO TOUCH...
Perhaps it has fiberglass/ceramic or something like that in it? Anyone? Basically I could hit volleys against the wall all day with it, just to hear the tune of this stick.
The racquet again is HEAD EDGE - SPECIAL EDITION (same as in the pic in the above post) it is in great condition but something written on the side is kind of illegible. I wonder what it said. Pre-play, I thought this racquet is not worth writing a word on it. Never thought I'd be impressed with it. But now I really wanna find out what the key ingredients to this stick!!!

Are Head Edge players familiar with the distinct pop sound of the racqet that I keep talking about?
And this racquet serves better than a PS85, imo. If I could get enough practise time (in order for the small (even smaller than 6.0 85) with it (so that small head size do not become a conundrum to my game) I would make this my main stick and stick with it for years to come...O.K, maybe the last part is quite an overstatement (as I cant stick with a stick) but still...I wanna find out more about this racquet.....Any help is highly appreciated!

EDIT: Should have read the previous posts more carefully! I read about the references to the distinctive pop of the racquet and the reviews! But any more info about my racquet would be appreciated....

Bud
06-12-2009, 02:19 PM
I just got done playing with a Head Edge! After having played with eons of different racqs., I can most certainly say that this is the best volleying racquet, ever. I have Max 200Gs, SV PS85s and many other classics and new school, nothing can compare to this racquet that I purchased for a ridiculuously low $

If anyone could please assist, I would like to find out about what this racquet is made up of! The racquet has the MOST DISTINCT POP SOUND that I ever heard! I first thought, the awesomely unique pop sound is due to another element, such as strings...they were plain ol' snythetic gut...then I thought may the ball as I was testing against the wall..nothing wrong w/ the ball...then checked if the tension was too loose on the sweetspot..not that either....must be the racquet...RACQUET FEELS SLIGHTLY RUBBERY TO TOUCH...
Perhaps it has fiberglass/ceramic or something like that in it? Anyone? Basically I could hit volleys against the wall all day with it, just to hear the tune of this stick.
The racquet again is HEAD EDGE - SPECIAL EDITION (same as in the pic in the above post) it is in great condition but something written on the side is kind of illegible. I wonder what it said. Pre-play, I thought this racquet is not worth writing a word on it. Never thought I'd be impressed with it. But now I really wanna find out what the key ingredients to this stick!!!

Are Head Edge players familiar with the distinct pop sound of the racqet that I keep talking about?
And this racquet serves better than a PS85, imo. If I could get enough practise time (in order for the small (even smaller than 6.0 85) with it (so that small head size do not become a conundrum to my game) I would make this my main stick and stick with it for years to come...O.K, maybe the last part is quite an overstatement (as I cant stick with a stick) but still...I wanna find out more about this racquet.....Any help is highly appreciated!

EDIT: Should have read the previous posts more carefully! I read about the references to the distinctive pop of the racquet and the reviews! But any more info about my racquet would be appreciated....

The GE is 100% graphite (and fiberglass) :oops:

I thought It was 100% graphite... my bad :)

jimbo333
06-12-2009, 06:04 PM

Head Edge is a great racquet for sure:)

It's amazing that you've got the same racquet as Gymrat76:)

vsbabolat
06-12-2009, 06:55 PM
My U.S. Flag Graphite Edge says: Graphite and Fiberglass.

Deuce
06-12-2009, 09:38 PM
On my Graphite Edges, nothing is written about the composition...
But on my Graphite Edge 2s, it is written: "Exclusive Head Tubular Graphite/Fiberglass Composite For An Engineered Firm Flex."

And I'm pretty sure that the Graphite Edge 2 is the same racquet as the Graphite Edge - the only differences being the drill pattern, the '2' has a bumper, and, of course, different graphics.
The two incarnations feel the same to me.

plasma
06-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Feelings can be deceptive. According to the Holographic universe they are not just different racquets, but two different uiverses, that in fact...are made up...
just jerking your chain.
seriously though, this company was so guarded with its proprietary info. Is "tubular" a ref to a unique process or is it just a fancy metaphor for the mold process that all racquets go thru.
My Good friend KHW disected an edge 2 due to impaction, when he told me I almost cried. Even after it's burial I argued that that particular edge 2 should have been saved. Graphite Edge remains one of the greatest racquets of all time.

ipitythefool
06-13-2009, 07:27 PM
It's amazing that you've got the same racquet as Gymrat76:)
Whoever he is, must know his thang about racqs lol just kidding
p.s: and what kind of a weirdo would get a nickname like gymrat? hahaha :)

My U.S. Flag Graphite Edge says: Graphite and Fiberglass.

So, it appears, it is fiberglass that gave that distinctive feel and sound to this racquet!

To the best of my recollection, I don't think I hit w/ another racquet with fiberglass in the mix, to make a direct comparison to Edge, feel-wise. And one could think (at least me) that, fiberglass would make a less powerful racquet. But Edge most certainly does not play any less powerful, imo, provided one can find the sweet spot.

I wonder if there is/are any new school racquet(s), with a more generous head size for modern game, that has a feel & the unique pop sound similar to Edge? Vsbabolat, Bud, Duece or Plaz, anyone? It is also possible, not every racq w/ fiberglass may have the unique feel/sound as the Edge.

Thanks in advance.
I can stick volleys with my a buck fifty Head Edge all day long, while the Max 200Gs, SV PS85s and Babs are warming up the bag :)

In my opinion, say, if Sampras opted to choose the Edge as his racquet as opposed to PS85, I think the latter would be a buck fifty and Edge would be the $$ today (Just trying to give an example, arguably speaking, of course Sampras is not the only goat who played w/PS85, so many played w/ it starting with Evert. But was just trying to give an example that, this racq has nothing less than a pro staff or other pro-orinted racqs)
Btw- were there any past pros who played with Edge?

Also, I'd like to mention, one advantage I am finding to my game with the Edge is that, the unique feel is helping my game a lot in the sense that:
I search for the same !POP! every time I hit the ball. So this indirectly translates as trying to find the perfect sweet spot for every shot. When hitting against the wall, I hit back n forth at a much faster pace (and control) than other racqs...after a point I feel like a robot! I think I am a feel addict! :)

Caloi
06-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Too funny. I am now up to four HGE's, though only three are in constant rotation. "Number four" had the grommet-ectomy and is in some dire need of some TLC before I'll hit with it again. My frankengrommet job wasn't bad, it is the rattling pieces inside that I can't get out that is driving me nuts.

Since I've bought mine I've solely used them for all my match play...until this past Saturday. The wind was blowing fiercely and I just couldn't find the sweet spot during warmups. I pulled out my Dunlops and had a fantastic day of tennis.

plasma
06-17-2009, 08:19 AM
you are inspiring Caloi, should we call you egdeman or edgemamster? thanks for reminding us of the greatness of these v8's!!!
http://i43.tinypic.com/2ec40lt.jpg

Caloi
06-17-2009, 12:25 PM
you are inspiring Caloi, should we call you egdeman or edgemamster? thanks for reminding us of the greatness of these v8's!!!

Naw, I was lucky to have found one in a used sporting goods store and smart enough to post about it here. Something about a blind squirrel or something. :)

jimbo333
06-17-2009, 04:30 PM

Is the third one along, a Comp Edge?

I have a couple of different Comp pros, but not the Comp Edge:(

And what's your opinion of playing with the Comps?

Deuce
06-18-2009, 02:48 AM
Is the third one along, a Comp Edge?

I have a couple of different Comp pros, but not the Comp Edge:(

And what's your opinion of playing with the Comps?
Yeah, the 3rd one is a Composite Edge.
I had a couple back in the day. I never really took to them. Kind of a wimpier version of the Graphite Edge...

mrw
06-18-2009, 04:33 AM
personally, I like the Composite Edge slightly more than the Edge. The weight and balance seem to be perfect for my game

ipitythefool
06-18-2009, 05:10 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but does "composite" stand for the 80%graph 20% fiberglass version of the Edge? :)

Every time I pick up my racquet, it feels like an extension of my arm (among a good 30-40 frames I have) And worst thing about it is, it is not the best racq. to hit 2hbh's with :(

FedererClone
07-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but does "composite" stand for the 80%graph 20% fiberglass version of the Edge? :)

Every time I pick up my racquet, it feels like an extension of my arm (among a good 30-40 frames I have) And worst thing about it is, it is not the best racq. to hit 2hbh's with :(

Anyone answer the 80/20 question? Thanks in advance...

jimbo333
07-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Anyone answer the 80/20 question? Thanks in advance...

Well it doesn't say it on the frame itself, so you are relying on someone actually knowing the %composition. I bet Vsbabolat knows, if he sees this, sure he will let you know:)

Fed Kennedy
01-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Found this old thread. You guys are correct, this is a pretty awesome racquet. I got my hands on one. I want to get another one: is there a difference between the matte and the glossy? (Other than the pj?)

Virginia
01-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Other than the look (I have the matt one, which I much prefer), I don't really know - maybe just the next year's model, or something.

Fed Kennedy
01-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Dare I say that I like my 20$ graphite edge better than my expensive modern racquets? Perhaps I am just in the afterglow of a good day on court...
This racquet is also noticeably shorter than a standard. Wierd.
Also: I can generate heavy topsin with this thing?! Gah. Awesome old school experience.

retrowagen
01-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Found this old thread. You guys are correct, this is a pretty awesome racquet. I got my hands on one. I want to get another one: is there a difference between the matte and the glossy? (Other than the pj?)
IIRC, the matte finish version (the earlier of the two, BTW) had individual grommets. The glossy version used a plastic grommet strip instead.

Virginia
01-02-2010, 10:52 AM
*Goes downstairs to check GE*

Thanks, retrowagan - I hadn't realised there was that much of a difference. Hopefully that means the individual grommets will last a good long time. Mine also has powerpads in the throat.

*Drools over GE again*

Fed Kennedy
01-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Are the matte version individual groms replaceable with those fittex things they sell on TW?
I have a matte edge in great condition with a few dodgy grommets.

Caloi
01-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Email me if you are looking for another. I believe I'm up to four now but one is a 5/8" grip and just doesn't fit my hand well at all. I'll have to check the finish on it though, don't remember if it has the solid grommet strip, which is no doubt in string-able, but rough shape, or if it has the individual grommets. Since I'm not allowed to solicit the sale here we can discuss further in emails.

Caloi

overrotate
01-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Dare I say that I like my 20$ graphite edge better than my expensive modern racquets?

I'll dare to agree.:) It has quite a unique feel to it too, buttery smooth in how it cuts the air and at contact even strung high, yet it's always solid.

Does anyone know if the original Matte Edge came in different weights? I'm curious to know because I have seen some head rackets have a designation like "M" or similar on them somewhere; anyone know what that may be?

Thanks,
Brandon

Bud
01-04-2010, 11:59 PM
I'll dare to agree.:) It has quite a unique feel to it too, buttery smooth in how it cuts the air and at contact even strung high, yet it's always solid.

Does anyone know if the original Matte Edge came in different weights? I'm curious to know because I have seen some head rackets have a designation like "M" or similar on them somewhere; anyone know what that may be?

Thanks,
Brandon

The M (medium) weight and definitely heavier than the L (light). I've noted it's usually about a half ounce.

MichaelChang
01-05-2010, 05:13 AM
Anyone use it in serious match plays? :) Just want to see how the 81.1 head size performs in competitive matches.

For me the glossy version is a better if you want to keep the racket to use for a long time (it has the grommet strip).

Caloi
01-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Anyone use it in serious match plays? :) Just want to see how the 81.1 head size performs in competitive matches.

For me the glossy version is a better if you want to keep the racket to use for a long time (it has the grommet strip).

I use mine in singles. I don't do as well in doubles though with the small head size and weight. Doubles I play my Dunlops.

I have two with the grommet strip and two with the individual grommets. The original HGE I bought at Play it again sports has perfect grommets...so far. I'm reluctant to do anything to that racquet as I'm afraid the grommets will crack, or even worse disintegrate.

Not sure what you mean by the strip is "better" then the individual grommets though.

MichaelChang
01-05-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm afraid the grommets will crack, or even worse disintegrate.

Not sure what you mean by the strip is "better" then the individual grommets though.

It is because those individual grommets, once broken, are very hard to replace. It may cost you (way) more than the racket itself to replace them.

Fed Kennedy
01-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Whats the best grommet strip to get if I want make a new strip for a GE?

Caloi
01-05-2010, 02:46 PM
It is because those individual grommets, once broken, are very hard to replace. It may cost you (way) more than the racket itself to replace them.
From what I've read and seen it's amazing to see grommets in perfect condition on these frames. I'm still playing the racquet but with the strings that came with it. I'm sure they're quite dead.
Whats the best grommet strip to get if I want make a new strip for a GE?

I'll have to look at the package I used. The lady in the tennis shop was quite helpful in finding me one. I was able to use three at a time (uncut) in many places. There are certainly many individual pieces too. :evil: It was a PITA to string like that.

MichaelChang
01-05-2010, 05:24 PM
I like the paint job of the glossy one too, it has the American flag on the side, and looks shiny. :) And it prints some small descriptions and head size etc just like the later HEAD rackets.

If you really liked the GE, then you probably will like the TXE even better.

Fed Kennedy
01-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Word michael chang? Why do you say the txe is better?

MichaelChang
01-06-2010, 04:03 AM
Why do you say the txe is better?

Just my personal preference. I found my txe to be more solid. I am not sure but these rackets may come in difference weights ("L", "M" etc) so it also depends on which version you get.

Roadway
09-15-2010, 07:20 AM
My glossy Grahpite Edge has much more static weight and swing weight than my Graphite Edge TXE.

vsbabolat
09-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Just my personal preference. I found my txe to be more solid. I am not sure but these rackets may come in difference weights ("L", "M" etc) so it also depends on which version you get.

They did indeed come in different weights.

123ten
12-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Head Graphite Edge is a true classic. Because the head size is around 81", I can strung it at a low tension (~50 lbs or less) for a bigger sweetspot and still whack the ball and have it land inside the baseline. Amazingly the serves are also unaffected by the smaller head size. I installed new grommets in one of my HGEs (Matte version) based on the suggestion I found on this forum and it worked, even though it is time consuming.

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr185/regisk04/HGE-MATTE/IMG_6184.jpg

I have listed it here -
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=5234919
--

retrowagen
12-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Clever use of electrician's tape, to make the Frankengrommet more attractive!

I recently picked up one early and one later version of the GE (not the GE2, though). When time permits, I'll photodocument and identify the differences here. Stay tuned.

retrowagen
12-06-2010, 12:37 PM
My glossy Grahpite Edge has much more static weight and swing weight than my Graphite Edge TXE.
The TXE only came in L weights, as I recall; the Graphite Edge (or, at least, its earlier versions) were available in L and M weights. The TXE was available only in 1984 and 1985; the Graphite Edge was phased out at the end of 1986 (IIRC), but brought back for 1988 as the Graphite Edge 2 with a different (more open) drill pattern, for just that one year.

joe sch
12-07-2010, 05:11 AM
Another version of is the head comp edge as pictured below:

http://s920.photobucket.com/albums/ad46/woodtennis/tennis/rackets/head_rackets/?action=view&current=head_comosite_edge2.jpg

Nice play and spin with the 19x16 pattern, would really look cool if capped. Wonder if any of these are cappable ?

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad46/woodtennis/tennis/rackets/head_rackets/head_comosite_edge4.jpg

retrowagen
12-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Here is a quick tour of the differences between the two generations of Head Graphite Edge. In each photo, the racquet on the bottom is the earlier version (c. 1981-1982ish); the on on top is the later (c. 1983ish-1986) version.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/retrowagen/Miscellaneous%20Head/ge-comparo-1.jpg

Change in logo from "Head" to "HEAD"
Finish changed from grainy to smooth
Throat grommets changed from individual (Fittex-style) to molded pairs
Grommet groove much longer on older version (newer version ends even with final "E" in "EDGE")

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/retrowagen/Miscellaneous%20Head/ge-comparo-2.jpg

Throat collar changed from larger style with engraved Head "ski tip" logo to plainer, smaller one shared with concurrent Graphite Vector, Graphite Director, Composite Edge, Composite Director, TXE, and TXD.
Both of these specimens have replacement grips on them: the older one is sporting a Fairway; the newer one has a modern Head synthetic replacement. Originals had a brown calfskin grip.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/retrowagen/Miscellaneous%20Head/ge-comparo-3.jpg

Individual grommets gave way to a molded plastic grommet strip.
Neither racquet had a bumper guard per se, but the later version had a subtle strip of hard plastic molded in just beneath the paint, to sacrifice to wear and tear, before the "meat" of the graphite/fiberglass layup was reached. Replacable bumper guards were pioneeded by Head on the 1984-1985 TXE and TXD, and by 1988, virtually every Head frame had a replacable bumper guard of some sort.

After 1986, the Graphite Edge was discontinued. However, it reappeared in 1988 for a one year only swan song as the Graphite Edge 2, with a more open string pattern and revised graphics. However, Head wasn't committed to the model; Head was marketing and favoring the new (then termed) "mid-plus" 89.5 sq-in Pro-series models.

vsbabolat
12-14-2010, 05:56 AM
Hey Retro! I have a 1986 Graphite Edge with the American Flag on the side, Molded-in Bumper guard, and the plastic collar at the top of the grip with the engraved ski tip like on the Graphite Pro.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0590.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0593.jpg

retrowagen
12-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Hey Retro! I have a 1986 Graphite Edge with the American Flag on the side, Molded-in Bumper guard, and the plastic collar at the top of the grip with the engraved ski tip like on the Graphite Pro.

Very nice! That must be one of the very last. Somewhere around here, I have an 1986 Head US market catalogue. I'll see if the GE pictured there has the Pro-style collar... curious!
Also there seems to be a bit of metallic dust in the paint. Unique for '86, if I am not mistaken.

These '86 GE's are quite rare.

vsbabolat
12-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Very nice! That must be one of the very last. Somewhere around here, I have an 1986 Head US market catalogue. I'll see if the GE pictured there has the Pro-style collar... curious!
Also there seems to be a bit of metallic dust in the paint. Unique for '86, if I am not mistaken.

These '86 GE's are quite rare.

Yes, there is metallic dust in the paint. It is so solid. It is amazing the power you get out of it for having such a small head. I would not be surprised if there is a pallet system under the grip. I have never looked.

retrowagen
12-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Yes, there is metallic dust in the paint. It is so solid. It is amazing the power you get out of it for having such a small head. I would not be surprised if there is a pallet system under the grip. I have never looked.
I love how these play. With the smaller head and tight pattern, the ball control is amazing, and the smaller head also places the sweet spot a bit further away from the hand, giving a little more "leverage" and thus more power. By comparison, hitting with an oversize, with its sweetspot so much closer to the hand, feels almost like hitting with a racquetball racquet in this regard!

I looked in my 1986 US market Head catalogue; the Graphite Edge pictured in it had what appeared to be metallic paint, but the grip collar was the plain one without any logo. Looked like the (box-beamed) Pro and Masters series frames had the one on your '86 GE; the (graphite-composite) Directors and Edges pictured in the catalogue had the more basic type.

However, I vaguely remember that some of the Austrian-made composite racquets out of the Edge mould had this newer style collar, and the vibration-control-system pallets probably lurking beneath...

vsbabolat
12-15-2010, 08:28 AM
I love how these play. With the smaller head and tight pattern, the ball control is amazing, and the smaller head also places the sweet spot a bit further away from the hand, giving a little more "leverage" and thus more power. By comparison, hitting with an oversize, with its sweetspot so much closer to the hand, feels almost like hitting with a racquetball racquet in this regard!

I looked in my 1986 US market Head catalogue; the Graphite Edge pictured in it had what appeared to be metallic paint, but the grip collar was the plain one without any logo. Looked like the (box-beamed) Pro and Masters series frames had the one on your '86 GE; the (graphite-composite) Directors and Edges pictured in the catalogue had the more basic type.

However, I vaguely remember that some of the Austrian-made composite racquets out of the Edge mould had this newer style collar, and the vibration-control-system pallets probably lurking beneath...

Also there is no AMF branding anywhere on the frame. So I really think my frame came at the very end of Graphite Edge production.

struggle
12-15-2010, 08:49 AM
i never personally used the GE, but a few of my friends and teammates in HS did and i hit with them several times BITD.

sweet stick, for sure. solid, was a nice transition from wood to graphite.

retrowagen
12-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Also there is no AMF branding anywhere on the frame. So I really think my frame came at the very end of Graphite Edge production.
That's what I would conclude, too. I'm curious, though: what sticker or emblem is on its butt cap?

Very rare bird, that. :cool:

Tmano
12-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Head Graphite Edge is a true classic. Because the head size is around 81", I can strung it at a low tension (~50 lbs or less) for a bigger sweetspot and still whack the ball and have it land inside the baseline. Amazingly the serves are also unaffected by the smaller head size. I installed new grommets in one of my HGEs (Matte version) based on the suggestion I found on this forum and it worked, even though it is time consuming.

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr185/regisk04/HGE-MATTE/IMG_6184.jpg

I have listed it here -
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=5234919
--

Hi, I have one of this too....but maine says AMG Edge Graphite and the head size is 81".....bought for $7 at a thrift store last summer...I was going to sell it butnow i changed my mind.

tandayu
12-15-2010, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=vsbabolat;5254905]Hey Retro! I have a 1986 Graphite Edge with the American Flag on the side, Molded-in Bumper guard, and the plastic collar at the top of the grip with the engraved ski tip like on the Graphite Pro.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0590.jpg
QUOTE]

HI vsbabolat

I have one with American flag, and on the other side beam says "Graphite edge". My paint is same like the normal glossy , not like yours

I also have several with other minor variations, i will post pictures later

vsbabolat
12-15-2010, 11:45 AM
That's what I would conclude, too. I'm curious, though: what sticker or emblem is on its butt cap?

Very rare bird, that. :cool:

I don't know why I could not remember that there is a AMF HEAD sticker on the butt-cap.:-? I still think it was from the end of Graphite Edge production in 1986.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0598.jpg

I guess it is one of those days...........

vsbabolat
12-15-2010, 11:47 AM
HI vsbabolat

I have one with American flag, and on the other side beam says "Graphite edge". My paint is same like the normal glossy , not like yours

I also have several with other minor variations, i will post pictures later

Hi tandayu!

Looking foward to seeing your pictures.

tandayu
12-15-2010, 09:02 PM
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/klamathprestige/photo.jpg

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/klamathprestige/photo2.jpg

tandayu
12-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Matte, newer collar pallet

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/klamathprestige/3.jpg

Matte, newer collar pallet, but lettering is "HEAD" not "head":

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/klamathprestige/photo4.jpg

tandayu
12-15-2010, 09:28 PM
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/klamathprestige/genew1.jpg

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/klamathprestige/genew2.jpg

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/klamathprestige/genew3.jpg

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/klamathprestige/new.jpg

vsbabolat
12-20-2010, 06:22 PM
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/klamathprestige/genew1.jpg

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/klamathprestige/genew2.jpg

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/klamathprestige/genew3.jpg

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/klamathprestige/new.jpg

That hang tag is awesome!!! Thanks For Sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joe sch
12-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Many great head edge models !
Not sure if I already posted these composite and graphite edges:
http://woodtennis.com/head/head_comosite_edge0.jpg
http://woodtennis.com/head/head_graphite_edge3.jpg

coachrick
12-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Many great head edge models !
Not sure if I already posted these composite and graphite edges:
http://woodtennis.com/head/head_comosite_edge0.jpg
http://woodtennis.com/head/head_graphite_edge3.jpg

How about those funky 'double grips' on the Comp Edge. Wonder who sold them on that idea? Davis did it earlier('60s-'70s) on the Hi Point, presumably to keep costs down. Bancroft had it on the Aussie, I believe. I don't remember any others from the '80s who used the extra-wide slab o' leather :) .

10sNut
12-30-2010, 05:48 PM
and love them!

Has anyone found a modern frame that comes close??? The feel is amazing!

I could use a tad more square inches these days, but not much more.

-Aaron

struggle
01-12-2011, 08:38 AM
i wouldn't mind getting hands on a couple graphite edge(s).

wink wink.

ahuimanu
01-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Just stumbled on this thread...thanks for sharing these photos!

Brings back so many great memories :)

Great serving stick...somewhat soft with a nice pop...had some of my best wins with this frame!

That hang tag is awesome!!! Thanks For Sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

djinni999
02-09-2011, 04:51 AM
Got a Head Edge today. $7 of fleabay
It's the matte version with lowercase lettering, long collar.
it's 4 3/8; original leather grip.
weighs 364.5 grams/12.96 oz. strung.
strangely, balance felt a bit head heavy in my hand; i measured it and it came out 0.80 pts. headlight; basically even balance. i don't think this is normal; anyone have any ideas? i didn't look under each grommet piece to check for lead tape, LOL.

AllLeague
02-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Sorry if this has been answered before, but if any of you guys have restrung your Head Graphite Edge and needed to replace the grommet strip, what strip did you use?
My GE I picked up today desperately needs a new grommet strip (the strings broke through the top grommets and are seated on the frame and the majority of the grommets are cracked/broken). I'll probably end up stringing practically the whole frame with teflon tubing seeming how the frame was only $10, but for future reference when I order grommet sets, I'd like to pick one up for this frame too.
Thanks.

max
02-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Yeah, where do you get the individual grommets?

leroy_sunset
01-22-2012, 10:02 PM
I'll try to revive this thread. Which grommets did you guys use? I bought the only strip set my local shop had in stock, for a newer Head stick. I cut them up, but it didn't work. I broke a main (and a pathfinder tool) trying to get the last cross through a shared grommet. Granted, my technique might have been poor (no scrap string to make room, but I've never had to do that before). Just wanting some guidance.

craniopath
02-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Does graphite edge have pallets or molded handle? If molded is it the same shape or less/more rectangular than current had racquets?

thanks

Roadway
11-26-2012, 05:26 AM
Does graphite edge have pallets or molded handle? If molded is it the same shape or less/more rectangular than current had racquets?

thanks

It is molded, covered by Polyurethane. More rectangular than current.

coachrick
11-26-2012, 08:45 AM

thanks

It is molded, covered by Polyurethane. More rectangular than current.

Agreed, pretty typical Head handle for the period. Gets a bit more square in the larger sizes.

BruceD
11-29-2012, 09:31 PM

Yes, a very generous Eb ay seller, who gave me more racquets along with the one i bought for a 8 yr old prodigy i am teaching the game to, included one with popped strings, but in VERY nice condition!
Yes, GOOD PEOPLE DO still exist!
I gave it to my stringer freind, Micheal in exchange for a super deal on a restring of a prince O3 speedport Black, that I will hit with for a while, before passing it on to a hard hitting kid that I hope will deserve it in a year or so!
I tied off the strings, which look to be old natural gut, by the way, and it was still a solid hitting stick that provided a nice hit, when you found it's .50 piece of-a-sweet-spot that it has!
Smooth long strokes and solid volleys are still there!
string it up with the good stuff, good 'ol gut and have fun!
Michael MAY want to part with the"Head, by AMF" sticker.."made in the USA", on the bottom, for a collectors price, I bet!
Maybe even the racquet, too!

fortun8son
12-02-2012, 10:30 PM
I got BruceD's Graphite Edge and I restrung it with a 'Frankenstein' hybrid of RIP Power(Intellistring) mains and Hollow Core Pro crosses@60 lbs.
No, I am not going to part with the racquet OR the AMF sticker! :)