PDA

View Full Version : Killing the net player with the ball

Majik
03-15-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm playing 3.0 USTA league tennis. And I'm starting to develope a 100mph or more forehand as an aggressive baseliner. When I set myself up for hitting the ball that hard, I'm focused on the ball and really don't know where exactly the opponent is. A few times I've hit it really quite hard directly at him, he drifted into the strike zone. He had no choice but to defend himself and bat it away, giving me a point.

It then occurs to me that the net position is really quite a valnerable place to be. What are you going to do with a 100mph ball coming at you, place it in a particular spot? I don't think even the professionals can do that very well.

So I have to wonder how acceptable is it to hit those kind of hard balls directly at the opponent? Are there any liability issues to worry about? Or is that an obvious risk inherent in approaching the net? Thanks.

ThA_Azn_DeViL
03-15-2009, 11:08 AM
If a pro goes to net, they make it hard for the opponent to make a clean hit off of the ball, but since its only 3.0, the balls should be easier to handle and you can set up faster.

yebo
03-15-2009, 11:08 AM
aside from doubting that you are developing a 100mph forehand, there are no rules or liability violations in hitting the ball hard at the net player. It is assumed that it is a possibility for anyone coming up to net.

dlesser13
03-15-2009, 11:11 AM
The obvious answer here is, it depends on your opponent. If the opponent has decent reflexes all he has to do it stick his racket out and block it back, there is no punch involved when your dealing with balls that fast, if he's even better he will direct it elsewhere and you could possibly lose the point. You generally don't feed the bear unless it's quite obvious that they don't have a clue what they are doing. As a 3.0 though, I am doubting you ability to consistently hit if even at all that 100 mph+ forehand.

Z-Man
03-15-2009, 11:28 AM
If you're still a 3.0, my advice is to learn how to hit 100 50mph forehands in a row before you work on hitting 1 100mph forehand. You'll win a lot more matches that way.

At the higher levels, many people hit hard, close to the baseline, with topspin or slice, which makes it hard to drill the netman. At 4.5, you'll only see a few sitters or short balls per match. But beware, a 4.5 with good hands can reflex volley a 100mph forehand all day long. I used to pound the ball at people, but the better players can handle the pace, so now I hit a slower, but spinnier ball, usually up the middle that just clears the net and then dips below, forcing them to volley up. If they pop up a sitter inside the service line, then it's time for target practice.

Going at people is a great tactic at the lower levels, but if you're a 3.0 then you're hitting as many out or in the net as your are hitting winners. Even 3.5 and 4.0 matches are decided by unforced errors, not winners. By the time you get to the level that you can consistantly hit hard with placement, you'll be facing guys who can handle the pace, so you'll also need to mix in angles, lobs, and the dipper up the middle. As a baseliner in a world of net-rushers, I can see where you're coming from. Good luck!

Majik
03-15-2009, 11:29 AM
The obvious answer here is, it depends on your opponent. If the opponent has decent reflexes all he has to do it stick his racket out and block it back, there is no punch involved when your dealing with balls that fast, if he's even better he will direct it elsewhere and you could possibly lose the point. You generally don't feed the bear unless it's quite obvious that they don't have a clue what they are doing. As a 3.0 though, I am doubting you ability to consistently hit if even at all that 100 mph+ forehand.

I've not actually measured. I'm comparing to what commentators say about fast balls from professional players.

Actually, if I don't have to worry about getting it in, since the opponent at the net can't duck that fast, I'm free to hitting even harder. Those kinds of balls are even easier than serves since with a side arm shot you can line your arm up with the net. And it doesn't hurt being 6'3" and over 200 lbs.

miniRafa386
03-15-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm playing 3.0 USTA league tennis. And I'm starting to develope a 100mph or more forehand as an aggressive baseliner. When I set myself up for hitting the ball that hard, I'm focused on the ball and really don't know where exactly the opponent is. A few times I've hit it really quite hard directly at him, he drifted into the strike zone. He had no choice but to defend himself and bat it away, giving me a point.

It then occurs to me that the net position is really quite a valnerable place to be. What are you going to do with a 100mph ball coming at you, place it in a particular spot? I don't think even the professionals can do that very well.

So I have to wonder how acceptable is it to hit those kind of hard balls directly at the opponent? Are there any liability issues to worry about? Or is that an obvious risk inherent in approaching the net? Thanks.

i find it bad sportsmanship to hit the player at net deliberatly, but it isnt a bad idea to go for him sometimes. and im 99.9999999% that your not hitting a 100mph+ forehand, thats something thats tough for the pros to even do

Majik
03-15-2009, 11:40 AM
If you're still a 3.0, my advice is to learn how to hit 100 50mph forehands in a row before you work on hitting 1 100mph forehand. You'll win a lot more matches that way.

At the higher levels, many people hit hard, close to the baseline, with topspin or slice, which makes it hard to drill the netman. At 4.5, you'll only see a few sitters or short balls per match. But beware, a 4.5 with good hands can reflex volley a 100mph forehand all day long. I used to pound the ball at people, but the better players can handle the pace, so now I hit a slower, but spinnier ball, usually up the middle that just clears the net and then dips below, forcing them to volley up. If they pop up a sitter inside the service line, then it's time for target practice.

Going at people is a great tactic at the lower levels, but if you're a 3.0 then you're hitting as many out or in the net as your are hitting winners. Even 3.5 and 4.0 matches are decided by unforced errors, not winners. By the time you get to the level that you can consistantly hit hard with placement, you'll be facing guys who can handle the pace, so you'll also need to mix in angles, lobs, and the dipper up the middle. As a baseliner in a world of net-rushers, I can see where you're coming from. Good luck!

This is only my second term playing USTA. I've been playing a couple of year recreationally.

I've also got a back-spin game that seems effective. I'm starting to get pretty consistent keeping it low on the bounce. I can be quite the spin doctor. And I go there when I get tired of hitting those 100mph forhands. I'm using those Big Banger rough strings for durability and extra spin at 64 lb tension.

Voltron
03-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Successful troll is successful. :lol: Or OP is just stupid, which is actually funnier. :lol:

cak
03-15-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm guessing if you are actually winning points off of a hard forehand from the baseline you are probably playing against 2.5 or very low 3.0 players. A decent 3.0 player will either give you maybe two points on a return of serve before they stand back and let you whale the ball out a few dozen times, or they will have fast enough reflexes to hold their racquet up to use your power to angle it away for a winner.

I have found that players that count on a hard forehand as their strength in 3.0 play get to hang out at that level longer than those who work on consistency and placement.

EasleyTennis
03-15-2009, 01:32 PM
If you're hitting a 100mph forehand consistently and still a 3.0 then the rest of your game must suck. Hitting directly at the net man is not cool either, if you're going to hit at his side just try to go down the line.

Majik
03-15-2009, 03:42 PM
If you're hitting a 100mph forehand consistently and still a 3.0 then the rest of your game must suck. Hitting directly at the net man is not cool either, if you're going to hit at his side just try to go down the line.

Yes, I think you are right. So I'm thinking of aiming say a foot away from him so he'd have to actually go for it. Either that or go for a backspin game. That's usually easier to force a bunch of errors, but not as glamors. Nobody seems to like a spin-doctor. But when I smash a forehand winner, they look at me like they're weak and a little resentful. Do you know the look?

LeeD
03-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Hit that shot if you can....
It's the server's reponsibility to serve to your body and backhand. Let them hash it out.
A good volleyer already knows where your ball is going, first op down the middle low and service line deep.
So just keep using your shot and see how smart your opposition is...

investorofmercy
03-15-2009, 05:24 PM
"So I'm thinking of aiming say a foot away from him"
"I'm playing 3.0 USTA league tennis"
"since with a side arm shot you can line your arm up with the net"
"New User"
"I can be quite the spin doctor"
"I go there when I get tired of hitting those 100mph forhands"
"I'm using those Big Banger rough strings for durability and extra spin at 64 lb tension."

Question.....Which of these doesn't belong?

Nice troll.

I actually know a girl like this though. She has been playing for 6 months at 3.0 and if you listen to her for 20 minutes, you would think she is a 4.5, 21 minutes, it all comes to the fore.

EasleyTennis
03-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Yes, I think you are right. So I'm thinking of aiming say a foot away from him so he'd have to actually go for it. Either that or go for a backspin game. That's usually easier to force a bunch of errors, but not as glamors. Nobody seems to like a spin-doctor. But when I smash a forehand winner, they look at me like they're weak and a little resentful. Do you know the look?

Hitting a low backspin shot at the net man isn't a bad idea, most 3.0's will try to volley and end up putting it in the net. How long have you been playing, just wondering.

shell
03-15-2009, 05:43 PM
:) Just keep doing it, you will be a 5.0 soon :twisted:

saram
03-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Sorry--you lost me with the "3.0 with a 100mph forehand".

saram
03-15-2009, 06:45 PM
I have the same problem with my 4.0 156 mph second kick serve hitting opponents in the stomach--always worried about a lawsuit and all. Geesh....

LeeD
03-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Nuttin wrong with a 3.0 having a 100mph forehand.
Maybe the guy is 6'3" and 220lbs, strong as a linebacker, quicker than a defensive back, and young.
No rule to say a certain level has to hit a certain speed.
I had a 129 mph serve as a C player, or 3.5. Not at all unusual.

saram
03-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Maybe the guy is 6'3" and 220lbs, strong as a linebacker, quicker than a defensive back, and young.

There is no legit 3.0 consistently hitting 100 mph forehands on a continual basis as a guaranteed weapon.

Majik
03-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Hitting a low backspin shot at the net man isn't a bad idea, most 3.0's will try to volley and end up putting it in the net. How long have you been playing, just wondering.

I first started 3.0 USTA this winter and just started the spring term. Besides that I've been playing a friend a couple times a week for a couple years. About 15 years ago I had a chance to develop a pretty fast flat serve. I've recently abandoned it to develop a more consistent top-spin second serve. I'll go back to that 120mph flat serve after I gain more consistency in the second serve. As such I don't have a lot of experience returning those kinds of fast serves yet.

My stamina has diminshed over the years so I have to put the ball away quickly. I've become an aggressive baseliner who approaches the net quite often. Some time soon I'm going to have to start some interval training to increase my endurance.

I've noticed during cardio tennis at the club, where we rotate opponents quite often and go for points, that no one seems to be able to handle these back-spin balls that barely clear the net, but are not too fast. I'm thinking they should be easily returnable with a back-spin return. The only way to remove spin is to put spin on it yourself, right? It's pathetic, they hate me, I can put so much spin on the low, slow balls, that the girls can't even hit it. I see them over there swinging there racquets and missing because they don't know how to antisapate the direction after the bounce.

Majik
03-15-2009, 07:15 PM

My first 3.0 USTA term last winter was the first time in my life that I entered competition. It was a learning experience. I'd lose to dinkers because I'd let them set the pace out of politeness. Or I'd get matched up with a weak partner and lose points after a heroic effort. I was not playing like I practiced; I'd let them get me into a dinking contest, and when the ball got more than a few feet over the net, they'd blast it for a winner. It seemed like I had to fight everyone, including my partners just to hit the ball like I wanted to. I was tentative, and self conscious, and dealing with too much ego.

I starting reading some books on how to get into the zone and books by top USTA coaches that tell how to find your own style and gave you permission to pursue your own game. Now I intend to play like I practice. I'm going to kill the ball whether they're in the way or not. Man, talk to the hand, I'm not listening.

LeeD
03-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Majik....
Obviously, you are lost and confused, and therefore cannot understand and comprehend anything you read....
Just what did I say in my post?
Didn't I condone hitting hard? Didn't I say a good team can force a certain return from you? Didn't I say a dumb team serves to your 100mph forehand over and over again?
Just exactly WHAT are you replying to my post?

Majik
03-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Majik....
Obviously, you are lost and confused, and therefore cannot understand and comprehend anything you read....
Just what did I say in my post?
Didn't I condone hitting hard? Didn't I say a good team can force a certain return from you? Didn't I say a dumb team serves to your 100mph forehand over and over again?
Just exactly WHAT are you replying to my post?

Sorry, I may have meant to reply to a diffent post. My last comment about talking to the hand was meant as a joke - the attitude I intended to take in general about anyone who might have a problem with my style.

EasleyTennis
03-15-2009, 09:33 PM
I first started 3.0 USTA this winter and just started the spring term. Besides that I've been playing a friend a couple times a week for a couple years. About 15 years ago I had a chance to develop a pretty fast flat serve. I've recently abandoned it to develop a more consistent top-spin second serve. I'll go back to that 120mph flat serve after I gain more consistency in the second serve. As such I don't have a lot of experience returning those kinds of fast serves yet.

My stamina has diminshed over the years so I have to put the ball away quickly. I've become an aggressive baseliner who approaches the net quite often. Some time soon I'm going to have to start some interval training to increase my endurance.

I've noticed during cardio tennis at the club, where we rotate opponents quite often and go for points, that no one seems to be able to handle these back-spin balls that barely clear the net, but are not too fast. I'm thinking they should be easily returnable with a back-spin return. The only way to remove spin is to put spin on it yourself, right? It's pathetic, they hate me, I can put so much spin on the low, slow balls, that the girls can't even hit it. I see them over there swinging there racquets and missing because they don't know how to antisapate the direction after the bounce.

How are you configuring the mph in your serve and backhand. Those numbers would blow 99% of 3.0's off the court imo.

saram
03-15-2009, 10:46 PM
3.0 with a 120 mph first serve and 100 mph forehand. Oh my--that fish is getting huge! Let me know when you set a world record landing that majestic fish, Majik!

HAHAHAHA

Thanks for making my evening worth staying up....

saram
03-15-2009, 11:39 PM
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww181/saramphotos/thomas.jpg

OnyxZ28
03-16-2009, 02:49 AM
saram, the difference is, unlike the locomotive, this thread just simply can't. :lol:

Joeyg
03-16-2009, 07:25 AM
120 MPH serves and 100 MPH forehands by a 3.0? Highly doubtful! However, if you were to hit that forehand at me consistently, all I would need to do is keep my racket firm and volley it away for a winner. If you know it's coming you can be ready and punish it.

Majik
03-16-2009, 07:54 AM
How are you configuring the mph in your serve and backhand. Those numbers would blow 99% of 3.0's off the court imo.

1mi/hr = (5280ft/hr)*(1hr/60min)*(1min/60sec)=1.46ft/sec

So 100mi/hr=146ft/sec which equals 73ft/(half second)

A tennis court is only 78ft long. And it seems as though it is only taking half a second between hitting the ball and it landing on the other side. I'm not actually measuring the time or speed. I only said I'm in the process of getting there.

I'm using a semi-western grip, and if i get a weak reply that T's the ball up about 5 1/2 ft in the air, I can usually time the jump and the swing well enough. All I have to do is get the racket back high enough and throw it against my shoulder so that the racket is whipping around as it meats the ball. Since I can see the net in the process, all I have to do is get my arm lined up with the net.

I've only done that a couple of time during USTA matches. But I've done it about 10 times when playing my usual tennis partner. The trouble is that you cannot hesitate while doing it. You have to be focused and fully committed to the shot from the start. That's easier to do when play your usual tennis partner, not so easy when playing strangers. They might get upset and cry fowl, etc, etc, etc...

Majik
03-16-2009, 07:59 AM
120 MPH serves and 100 MPH forehands by a 3.0? Highly doubtful! However, if you were to hit that forehand at me consistently, all I would need to do is keep my racket firm and volley it away for a winner. If you know it's coming you can be ready and punish it.

have you ever hit a heavy top-spin ball at the wall? What does it do? It bounce up into the air. Are you telling me you can gage the amount of spin on a 100mph ball in a quarter of a second? Your natural reflex is going to be to hold your racket tight, and you'll barely have time to get to the ball. All you're going to do is end up being a backboard that hits it back long.

Jim A
03-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Majik it sounds like you more of a pusher with your severe backspin drop shot type of shots,

Even the most sandbagging 3.0 doesn't hit a 120mph serve or a 100mph forehand.

A hard serving 3.0 is probably more in the 85-90mph range

Nellie
03-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Speed aside, you can hit at that netman all that you want, and although you think he has no chance, I would assure you that most players could dodge that ball if it is going out.

jmverdugo
03-16-2009, 08:12 AM
First, you are supposed to hit to the net man. He is there to block your balls back.

Second, I think you should consider to not add numbers to your shots, you may be mistaken and it doesnt add anything to your thread.

Majik
03-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Majik it sounds like you more of a pusher with your severe backspin drop shot type of shots,

Even the most sandbagging 3.0 doesn't hit a 120mph serve or a 100mph forehand.

A hard serving 3.0 is probably more in the 85-90mph range

When I start playing spin-doctor with heavy back-spin shots, I've been called a "chopper" because my swing is mostly down and not through. I'm relying on the magnus effect to make it float for the most part to the baseline. It's not actually a drop shot that stands still after bouncing. But it continues through after bouncing with very little hieght on it. It's taken a while to get that under control. But it's kind of fun to watch them consistently hit it into the net.

Majik
03-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Speed aside, you can hit at that netman all that you want, and although you think he has no chance, I would assure you that most players could dodge that ball if it is going out.

Sure they can. And that brings up another issue. As I recall, the USTA rules don't say anything about hitting the receiver's partner at the net with a serve during doubles. Do you suppose if Andy Roddick was playing doubles and hit one of his 150mph serves at the receiver's partner at the net that he could duck in time? Is there any USTA rule or Code that prevents such a strategy? Who's point would that be if he did hit the netman with a serve?

jmverdugo
03-16-2009, 08:35 AM
If you hit any player of the other team with a serve before the ball hits the ground, even if the ball was going obviously long, the point goes to the server.

Joeyg
03-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Majik, Actually I am saying you are full of BS and don't hit your forehand that hard. I play with many 4.5 and 5.0 guys and we all hit the ball hard occasionally. Even if we go at the net person with a big shot, it almost always comes back. For you to try and do that to us, well, that would have us licking our chops, pal.

Good luck with the rich fantasy life you seem to be enjoying!

Xisbum
03-16-2009, 08:43 AM
I'd lose to dinkers because I'd let them set the pace out of politeness. I'd let them get me into a dinking contest, and when the ball got more than a few feet over the net, they'd blast it for a winner.

That's amazing. I play better when I drink, too. Imagine that. ;)

TheGreatestAudia
03-16-2009, 09:07 AM
There is no legit 3.0 consistently hitting 100 mph forehands on a continual basis as a guaranteed weapon.

Maybe he's hitting a racquetball?

Majik
03-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Majik, Actually I am saying you are full of BS and don't hit your forehand that hard. I play with many 4.5 and 5.0 guys and we all hit the ball hard occasionally. Even if we go at the net person with a big shot, it almost always comes back. For you to try and do that to us, well, that would have us licking our chops, pal.

Good luck with the rich fantasy life you seem to be enjoying!

It does seem to have me coming back for more.

I suspect that they are not hitting as hard as they can because they're afraid you might duct in time and they want to get the ball in if you do. But if some 220 pound guy put all his overweight into whipping the racket with his extra long arms. I don't think you're going to even be able to see the ball, much less place it somewhere. But it might be interesting to find out. And what posture are you taking at the net? Are you crouched low and hiding behind your racket? Are you holding your racket with one hand?

I'm trying to convince my tennis partner to wear a hockey mask and shoulder and chest pads just to see what's possible.

sureshs
03-16-2009, 09:18 AM
aside from doubting that you are developing a 100mph forehand, there are no rules or liability violations in hitting the ball hard at the net player. It is assumed that it is a possibility for anyone coming up to net.

He said he is starting on a 100 mph forehand. It could be anywhere from 0 to 100 right now.

sureshs
03-16-2009, 09:22 AM
I have the same problem with my 4.0 156 mph second kick serve hitting opponents in the stomach--always worried about a lawsuit and all. Geesh....

I never have that problem, because my kick serves usually bounce 8 feet high.

One day I mistimed it and the ball hit Ivo Karlovic's nose after the first bounce.

BTW, he was on the next court.

GPB
03-16-2009, 09:51 AM
I love this discussion. In general, it is (well, might be) a good idea to hit directly at the net man. Because the net man should not give you a ball that you are able to hit your awesome forehand with. If you can hit your strong forehand off of a low skidding slice that makes you run out wide and scoop it off the ground, you're awesome. If you have to wait for a weak ball, then the netman deserves whatever you dish out.

Majik
03-16-2009, 10:06 AM
I love this discussion. In general, it is (well, might be) a good idea to hit directly at the net man. Because the net man should not give you a ball that you are able to hit your awesome forehand with. If you can hit your strong forehand off of a low skidding slice that makes you run out wide and scoop it off the ground, you're awesome. If you have to wait for a weak ball, then the netman deserves whatever you dish out.

I remember playing men's singles ladder at the club against a 3.5, possibly 4.0. He approached the net, so I gave him a strong forehand, aiming right for the sweet spot of his racquet. I got it, it went up, but landed in, and T'd me off for another go at it. So this time a caught some air and gave him another, right in the sweet spot. This time he was crouched low and hiding behide his racket. It was like a tenth of a second between when I hit it and when it hit his racquet. Again it pops up, lands in, and T'd me off for yet another. So again I aim directly for his racket, probably out of habbit at this point. Only now he's crouching even lower and starting to hide behind the net. I hit the tape this time because his sweet spot is below the net. He had a health fear of approaching the net after that.

EasleyTennis
03-16-2009, 10:17 AM
I never have that problem, because my kick serves usually bounce 8 feet high.

One day I mistimed it and the ball hit Ivo Karlovic's nose after the first bounce.

BTW, he was on the next court.

This is more believable than the op's claims..

scotus
03-16-2009, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't assign a number to my forehand speed, but I have a pretty fast forehand.

And my own rules concerning intentionally blasting the netman in recreational tennis are as follows:

1. Never if the netman is obviously not good at volleys and incapable of adequately protecting himself.
2. Never if I am within the distance to kill the netman and the netman has turned his back or otherwise signaled surrender.
3. Sometimes if the netman is capable.
4. Gloves are off if the netman actively crowds the net, poaches, or uses gamesmanship to distract me (such as faking movement, tapping court with racquet or feet).

Joeyg
03-16-2009, 10:32 AM
As the NTRP level of the player goes down, his opinion of his own game goes up? Most of the good players I play with would laugh their butts off at the claims this guy is making.

Sorry, dude but you are a double bagel waiting to happen. Even with your "120 MPH serve and 100 MPH forehand".

I suggest you get together with Fedace and have a hit with him. I am sure his "massive topspin" and all of your attributes would make for an interesting match.

Majik
03-16-2009, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't assign a number to my forehand speed, but I have a pretty fast forehand.

And my own rules concerning intentionally blasting the netman in recreational tennis are as follows:

1. Never if the netman is obviously not good at volleys and incapable of adequately protecting himself.
2. Never if I am within the distance to kill the netman and the netman has turned his back or otherwise signaled surrender.
3. Sometimes if the netman is capable.
4. Gloves are off if the netman actively crowds the net, poaches, or uses gamesmanship to distract me (such as faking movement, tapping court with racquet or feet).

Those sound like good rules to use.

I gave my regular tennis partner a black eye once hitting too hard too close to the net. But there he was crouched down and hiding behide his racket, presenting a target for me. Instinct took over and I hit it real hard right at him. I must have thought he wanted some practice or something. Anyway, it hit the side of his racket and deflected into the sunglasses that he was wearing. Man did I feel bad about that. But it was an effective shot. So that's part of why I started this thread.

GPB
03-16-2009, 11:22 AM
but if they're crouching down defensively, there's SO MUCH "other" court to hit your winner... i'd say it's a no-no to go straight at them in that situation. good thing your buddy had glasses, or who knows what coulda happened to his eyes...

Joeyg
03-16-2009, 11:28 AM
I think that taking a few too many 'ludes had something to do with starting this thread!

Majik
03-16-2009, 11:48 AM
I think that taking a few too many 'ludes had something to do with starting this thread!

Oh! Well thank you. I didn't realize I was making such unbelievable shots. I must be better than I thought I was.

Majik
03-16-2009, 11:51 AM
but if they're crouching down defensively, there's SO MUCH "other" court to hit your winner... i'd say it's a no-no to go straight at them in that situation. good thing your buddy had glasses, or who knows what coulda happened to his eyes...
You're absolutely right. I think I got automatically fixated on his racket. It's easy to target just over the net when the player is at the net. The net becomes the target and not some point on the court behind the net. I think what I need to do is learn how to keep my eyes on the net itself whenever I make a shot.

LeeD
03-16-2009, 12:00 PM
My first post... if you can hit that shot, do it, until you start to lose!
Server doesn't have to weakserve to your forehand over and over again.
Netman sometimes gets better, and blocks it for a clean winner low up the middle.
I'm not doubting the speed of your shots, I've played 3.5's who were 6'2" and 220, and hit the ball a ton. I just don't need to hit my shots into their favorite strikezones.

Majik
03-16-2009, 12:22 PM
My first post... if you can hit that shot, do it, until you start to lose!
Server doesn't have to weakserve to your forehand over and over again.
Netman sometimes gets better, and blocks it for a clean winner low up the middle.
I'm not doubting the speed of your shots, I've played 3.5's who were 6'2" and 220, and hit the ball a ton. I just don't need to hit my shots into their favorite strikezones.

What seems to be happening is that I'm getting enough topspin and speed necessary to force a pop-up, or at least a higher return. Then I go for it, more frequently.

I've not actually discovered yet how hard is too hard, if I get enough topspin on the ball. I suppose it depends on how high the ball is T'd up for me.

A question on top-spin... I know it sucks the ball down faster, but does it also create drag and slow it down in the foward direction?

GPB
03-16-2009, 12:54 PM
A question on top-spin... I know it sucks the ball down faster, but does it also create drag and slow it down in the forward direction?

I never took a true aerodynamics class, but I know enough about it to semi-confidently claim that neither pure topspin nor pure backspin create drag.

Topspin creates high pressure on top and low pressure on bottom, thus bringing it down. Backspin (some people like the term "underspin"... whatever...) creates low pressure on bottom and high pressure on top, thus picking it up.

Keep in mind we are not talking about what happens once the ball hits the ground, this is just through the air.

And of course, it all makes sense in theory, but when I think about my experiences on the court it gets all fuzzy... I attribute it to different strokes being easier to hit, and thus exerting more force onto the ball... yeah, whatever. I stand by my initial statement until proven otherwise. :)

Majik
03-16-2009, 01:00 PM
What about at club level play. Is it right for them to ask me not to hit so hard against other men? I feel like I'm catching slack and not being encouraged to do my best.

Jim A
03-16-2009, 01:12 PM
we all have a guy like Majik where we play, the 3.0 who on a short ball just crushes it without care of the other 3 on the court

the same guy who throttles it at you, 20% chance its hitting you, 30% chance it goes into the net and 50% it hits the back fence - when the entire court is open..

so yes, people probably think your a d-bag on the court..

Majik
03-16-2009, 01:36 PM
we all have a guy like Majik where we play, the 3.0 who on a short ball just crushes it without care of the other 3 on the court

the same guy who throttles it at you, 20% chance its hitting you, 30% chance it goes into the net and 50% it hits the back fence - when the entire court is open..

so yes, people probably think your a d-bag on the court..

That's not very generous, is it? Give me some credit. I've never played that poorly, 100% crazy shots. And here I am at least asking about court edicate. That should count for something.

Joeyg
03-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Edicate? Maybe this IS Fedace!! Did you go to "Standford" too??

It is actually spelled etiquette.

TourTenor
03-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Majik ....
How about posting a video of your 120 mph serve and 100 mph forehand? Yes, post a video and show us what you're talking about.

Majik
03-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Majik ....
How about posting a video of your 120 mph serve and 100 mph forehand? Yes, post a video and show us what you're talking about.

Again, I'm not bragging, and I'm only estimating. They have cameras at the club, but when I called about it, they told me that they are not actually recording. Although, it seems I recall that USTA decisions can be appealed based on video of matches, which made me wonder if those cameras at USTA matches were recording.

Majik
03-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Edicate? Maybe this IS Fedace!! Did you go to "Standford" too??

It is actually spelled etiquette.

Oh, that's right, I forgot. I spelled that about as well as I spelled racket, or is it racquette?

blakesq
03-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Last week I hit a return of second serve about as hard as any forehand I have ever hit, and it hit an opponent directly in the crotchular area. He managed to wobble over to the bench before the pain intensified, as is common in such an injury. I felt terrible. I did aim at him, but I only wanted to jam him up, to make it a difficult shot for him to hit. I did apologize, and everything is good. Of course, If he tries to peg me at our next meeting, I really can't blame him.

EasleyTennis
03-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Last week I hit a return of second serve about as hard as any forehand I have ever hit, and it hit an opponent directly in the crotchular area. He managed to wobble over to the bench before the pain intensified, as is common in such an injury. I felt terrible. I did aim at him, but I only wanted to jam him up, to make it a difficult shot for him to hit. I did apologize, and everything is good. Of course, If he tries to peg me at our next meeting, I really can't blame him.

crotchular? lol this thread is great..

AndrewD
03-16-2009, 04:11 PM
I remember playing men's singles ladder at the club against a 3.5, possibly 4.0. He approached the net, so I gave him a strong forehand, aiming right for the sweet spot of his racquet. I got it, it went up, but landed in, and T'd me off for another go at it. So this time a caught some air and gave him another, right in the sweet spot. This time he was crouched low and hiding behide his racket. It was like a tenth of a second between when I hit it and when it hit his racquet. Again it pops up, lands in, and T'd me off for yet another. So again I aim directly for his racket, probably out of habbit at this point. Only now he's crouching even lower and starting to hide behind the net. I hit the tape this time because his sweet spot is below the net. He had a health fear of approaching the net after that.

And then you woke up.

Seriously mate, nice fantasy but you'll go a lot further if you're honest. Tennis is a great game and a great community, but no-one likes a bulls**-artist.

sureshs
03-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Oh, that's right, I forgot. I spelled that about as well as I spelled racket, or is it racquette?

Racquette is a term used for a woman's racquet.

10sfreak
03-16-2009, 05:12 PM
LOL! This whole thread cracks me up!
I don't know if any of y'all have heard of this incident, but I got sent to prison last year for killing 2 people. I killed them both, with one awesome forehand shot! The guy was at the net, I blasted my 220 m.p.h. (yes, that's miles per hour, not kilometers!) forehand right at him...after it bounced off his head (cracking his skull in the process), the ball careened over and hit the server square in the chest, stopping her heart and killing her instantly! Just bad timing, I guess.
Anyway, I'd like to warn the OP about using such an incredible weapon on the court - it could land you in prison, as it did me. You've been warned! (I think the D.A. could probably use this post as evidence against you; evidence that you knew what the possible consequences of unleashing such a beast of a forehand on an unsuspecting victim could do).

Topaz
03-16-2009, 05:12 PM

Sooo, you lost the point?

Btw, who won this match?

psYcon
03-16-2009, 05:32 PM
majik why don't you post a video of you hitting a 100mph forehand, maybe that will help us believe you.

Majik
03-16-2009, 09:23 PM
And then you woke up.

Seriously mate, nice fantasy but you'll go a lot further if you're honest. Tennis is a great game and a great community, but no-one likes a bulls**-artist.

No, actually, no one said a words. I just kept staring at the net. And he rolled his eyes back in his head as if to be offering a prayer to thank God that the point was over without getting hurt. Then we both turned back to start another point.

I don't think I'm bragging here. And I don't think it's so hard to believe. I didn't say I was the best player, only that I can occassionally may some quite spectacular shots. I'm sure I've made some 120mph serves and 100mph forehands, just not very often, and I don't know what my consistency rate is yet, either.

Majik
03-16-2009, 09:33 PM
I don't know if any of y'all have heard of this incident, but I got sent to prison last year for killing 2 people. I killed them both, with one awesome forehand shot! The guy was at the net, I blasted my 220 m.p.h. (yes, that's miles per hour, not kilometers!) forehand right at him...after it bounced off his head (cracking his skull in the process), the ball careened over and hit the server square in the chest, stopping her heart and killing her instantly! Just bad timing, I guess.
Anyway, I'd like to warn the OP about using such an incredible weapon on the court - it could land you in prison, as it did me. You've been warned! (I think the D.A. could probably use this post as evidence against you; evidence that you knew what the possible consequences of unleashing such a beast of a forehand on an unsuspecting victim could do).

That reminds me of the time when I was young and playing pool at the pool hall. I had a tendency to scratch the cue-ball by making it fly off the table when breaking the rack. One time I did that and I hit one guy in the head and it bounced off and hit his brother in the head as well. Nobody got hurt. But the bigger brother left the place to prevent himself from beating my ***. Good times... Hey? True story!

AndrewD
03-16-2009, 10:42 PM
I don't think I'm bragging here. And I don't think it's so hard to believe.

Think again.

BorisBeckerFan
03-17-2009, 01:52 AM
I normally don't post in this section but when I saw the title i just had to get in on this one. I've been playing tennis over 20 years and I must say it is rare
to have a 3.0 player hit any shot over 100 MPH. We do not not have a speed gun at courts I play so I don't know how fast I can serve or hit a forehand currently but when I was in my late teens, early twenties I was measured in
the low 120s. I do not have flexibilty and conditioning that I use to have and gained some weight over the years so I can't serve at that speed anymore. I've been taking lessons since before I was 10 and let me tell you that hitting a forehand or serve at the pace you are talking about requires at least some fundemental techniques that a 3.0 player does not have. Actually if someone who is truly a 3.0 swings as abo****ely hard and fast as they can they are in all likelyhood doing things which will disrupt the kinetic flow of energy into the ball and limiting how fast the ball will travel. I think you should consider going to a facility were they have a speed gun and get actual measurements. The reason many people here are laughing is because not neccessarily you but many low level players claim speeds and when they are actually measured they are stunned that they were off by not just a couple miles but by 20 or 30 miles. It's like someone who just started playing golf claiming they drive
the ball 350 yards. I takes a lot more than being strong enough to actually do
it. I would not consider myself to be a particularly strong male and am only
5 feet 8 inches tall but with good technique I was able to get not blistering
but still solid pace. I know many men that are bigger and would assume stronger than me that do not hit very hard but it's because they lack the technique and conditioning to do it. I doubt it had anything to do with strength. Just to give you some reference If you watch Federer or Nadal most
of there forehands are not even going 80 mph. When they are set up and have a ball in there strike zone they will on occasion hit forehands over 100
MPH but when you say i'm developing a 100 mph forehand it makes it sound
like a 100 mph forehand is your regular shot. And to answer your question
If I am playing some one who is an able bodied and solid player I will on occasion hit at them to handcuff them to mix it up. I would not do it regularly
because the opponent can just block the volley back to were you are not for a winner. If you are playing some one at a lower level than you or has mobility reflex issues either because of advanced age or otherwise and you are headhunting prepare to be sued or attcaked by the other members or
players were you play at.

Topaz
03-17-2009, 03:55 AM

Sooo, you lost the point?

Btw, who won this match?

Still waiting for an answer....

Doesn't seem like your 100mph forehand won you that point.

Again, who won the match? You, or the guy you say was 'hiding' behind the net?

Majik
03-17-2009, 06:16 AM
Still waiting for an answer....

Doesn't seem like your 100mph forehand won you that point.

Again, who won the match? You, or the guy you say was 'hiding' behind the net?

He did, because I was still doing stupid stuff like aiming for him when I didn't have to. He had better shot selection and placement. I didn't even have a plan. And I still have to work on my stamina.

PushyPushster
03-17-2009, 06:17 AM
But if some 220 pound guy put all his overweight into whipping the racket with his extra long arms. I don't think you're going to even be able to see the ball, much less place it somewhere. But it might be interesting to find out.

Okay, I'm ready to take the Majik Challenge. Are you anywhere near Atlanta? Despite being one of the crappiest net players around I'm willing to bet that for every ball you come close to drilling me with, there will be ten others that end up in the parking lot.

Btw, beware of my 30mph serve - if I hit you with it I get the point.

Joeyg
03-17-2009, 06:19 AM
Personaly, I think this is Fedace with a new persona. If you are anywhere near Chicago... I mean San Diego, maybe he will give you a ring.

Vik
03-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Delete thread.
Ban user.

Majik
03-17-2009, 06:40 AM
I normally don't post in this section but when I saw the title i just had to get in on this one. I've been playing tennis over 20 years and I must say it is rare
to have a 3.0 player hit any shot over 100 MPH. We do not not have a speed gun at courts I play so I don't know how fast I can serve or hit a forehand currently but when I was in my late teens, early twenties I was measured in
the low 120s. I do not have flexibilty and conditioning that I use to have and gained some weight over the years so I can't serve at that speed anymore. I've been taking lessons since before I was 10 and let me tell you that hitting a forehand or serve at the pace you are talking about requires at least some fundemental techniques that a 3.0 player does not have. Actually if someone who is truly a 3.0 swings as abo****ely hard and fast as they can they are in all likelyhood doing things which will disrupt the kinetic flow of energy into the ball and limiting how fast the ball will travel. I think you should consider going to a facility were they have a speed gun and get actual measurements. The reason many people here are laughing is because not neccessarily you but many low level players claim speeds and when they are actually measured they are stunned that they were off by not just a couple miles but by 20 or 30 miles. It's like someone who just started playing golf claiming they drive
the ball 350 yards. I takes a lot more than being strong enough to actually do
it. I would not consider myself to be a particularly strong male and am only
5 feet 8 inches tall but with good technique I was able to get not blistering
but still solid pace. I know many men that are bigger and would assume stronger than me that do not hit very hard but it's because they lack the technique and conditioning to do it. I doubt it had anything to do with strength. Just to give you some reference If you watch Federer or Nadal most
of there forehands are not even going 80 mph. When they are set up and have a ball in there strike zone they will on occasion hit forehands over 100
MPH but when you say i'm developing a 100 mph forehand it makes it sound
like a 100 mph forehand is your regular shot. And to answer your question
If I am playing some one who is an able bodied and solid player I will on occasion hit at them to handcuff them to mix it up. I would not do it regularly
because the opponent can just block the volley back to were you are not for a winner. If you are playing some one at a lower level than you or has mobility reflex issues either because of advanced age or otherwise and you are headhunting prepare to be sued or attcaked by the other members or
players were you play at.

Thanks for the advice. When I say developing a 100mph forehand, I mean that is the goal, and I think I may have done it once or twice. That's just a half-second from racket to bounce near the baselines. The ball definately has to be T'd up about 5 or 6 feet in the air before I'll even consider trying it. And I also have to jump to meet the ball in the air. I don't think I have the mechanics down pat yet. I seem to be pulling in my elbow and knee while in the air to counter the twist of my body as I swing the racket. I'm not sure that's what I'm suppose to be doing.

Can you actually get sued for deliberately hitting someone with a tennis ball? I've never heard of that. I remember a match on TV where Rafa got a short ball from Federer near the net and Federer was also near the net. Nadal set up to hit it as hard as he could right at Federer. But Roger twisted his body out of the way just in time.

Majik
03-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Delete thread.
Ban user.

Dude, look at the rating, 5 stars.

Topaz
03-17-2009, 07:17 AM
He did, because I was still doing stupid stuff like aiming for him when I didn't have to. He had better shot selection and placement. I didn't even have a plan. And I still have to work on my stamina.

Thanks for the advice. When I say developing a 100mph forehand, I mean that is the goal, and I think I may have done it once or twice. .

So, you are developing something that doesn't help you win matches?

The *other* guy won, because quite frankly, it doesn't matter how hard you hit the ball...if it doesn't land in the court.

At least you acknowledge that you don't have a plan. You'd be better off working on movement, fitness, and consistency than some kind of unrealistic 100mph FH(and yes, a 3.0 hitting a 100mph FH is unrealistic).

Sup2Dresq
03-17-2009, 07:27 AM

The *other* guy won, because quite frankly, it doesn't matter how hard you hit the ball...if it doesn't land in the court.

At least you acknowledge that you don't have a plan. You'd be better off working on movement, fitness, and consistency than some kind of unrealistic 100mph FH(and yes, a 3.0 hitting a 100mph FH is unrealistic).

This sounds so familiar. I'm having a mental lental block.

*shrug*

Topaz
03-17-2009, 07:31 AM
This sounds so familiar. I'm having a mental lental block.

*shrug*

Mental lental block???

Ohhhh...ok, got it! heheheh

Andres
03-17-2009, 07:43 AM
I'm amused how the OP said he had no directional control on his 100 mph forehand whatsoever, yet he managed to aim for the netman's SWEETSPOT three times in a row, even while his opponent's racquet got moving.

tfm1973
03-17-2009, 07:44 AM

i know a guy in the area who's probably a 3.5 player. big groundstrokes and huge serve but rather terrible consistency. figure he's probably 6 foot 2 or so and 200 pounds. in the TW Mid Atlantic we get together for fun meets and he's been clocked with a radar gun and filmed at about 120mph. video proof and all. the sound coming off his racquet is pretty sick. just doesn't sound right.

i find it hard to believe - but not within the realm of possibility - that you have now or have ever had a 129mph serve. is there any chance we can see video? if you don't have a camcorder, where are you located - maybe we can set up a video shoot? aside from the pros on tv, it's not like we see that kind of speed on a regular basis. especially not from us mere mortals. :) hook us up LeeD! :)

Majik
03-17-2009, 08:10 AM
i know a guy in the area who's probably a 3.5 player. big groundstrokes and huge serve but rather terrible consistency. figure he's probably 6 foot 2 or so and 200 pounds. in the TW Mid Atlantic we get together for fun meets and he's been clocked with a radar gun and filmed at about 120mph. video proof and all. the sound coming off his racquet is pretty sick. just doesn't sound right.

i find it hard to believe - but not within the realm of possibility - that you have now or have ever had a 129mph serve. is there any chance we can see video? if you don't have a camcorder, where are you located - maybe we can set up a video shoot? aside from the pros on tv, it's not like we see that kind of speed on a regular basis. especially not from us mere mortals. :) hook us up LeeD! :)

Yea, I'd like to tape myself sometimes. I'm thinking that's about the only way I'm going to make serious improvement.

The club where I play doesn't record. But I've seen someone with camcorders at the club sneaking a video shot of me serving. I don't know who they are. There's no chance of my getting that clip. I remember one time when I thought I was alone practicing my serve, and some guy seemed to come out of nowhere, walked in front of me about 100 ft away and took a video clip and then walked away. What was I suppose to say, "no pictures please"?

Besides I've temporarily lost my inconsistent fast serve while working on spining in a second serve. I'll have to go back someday and get my fast serve back. Interesting, my fast serve makes me land on my right foot, but my second serve makes me land on my left foot.

Majik
03-17-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm amused how the OP said he had no directional control on his 100 mph forehand whatsoever, yet he managed to aim for the netman's SWEETSPOT three times in a row, even while his opponent's racquet got moving.

My groundies have a lot of top-spin, and their placement depend on the emount of spin. I'm still working on that. But the faster shots are more flat. Since my arm is fully extended, I'm not getting the top-spin as much, and they're so fast that the ball really doesn't have time to respond to the spin.

Majik
03-17-2009, 08:24 AM

At this point I have to work on it ALL. Do you think I always go on the court just to embarrass my self all the time? If the fast balls were never in I wouldn't bother with it. I usually get them in, and a few times they might even have been 100mph. My last USTA match was 6-1 my way in the first, and 4-6 his way in the second, and 5-10 in the tie break. I had a couple of fast pace rallies in the second and ran out of gas because I played 3 hours of doubles the night before for practice and forgot to fill up on carbs. But that seemed like the only time I could get some practice that week.

Xisbum
03-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Besides I've temporarily lost my inconsistent fast serve while working on spining in a second serve. I'll have to go back someday and get my fast serve back. Interesting, my fast serve makes me land on my right foot, but my second serve makes me land on my left foot.

How convenient. And I see a 3-star rating on this thread, not 5. But then again most of TFM's shots make my eyes cross, right partner? ;)

EasleyTennis
03-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Majik, I'm dying to hear more of your stories..

Jim A
03-17-2009, 08:59 AM
my favorite Majik story is when he was losing but broke the opponent's strings with his huge forehands and he received the default win

I heard Roddick got the idea on his serve that buried into the clay by videotaping Majik while passing through his club

Majik
03-17-2009, 09:32 AM
my favorite Majik story is when he was losing but broke the opponent's strings with his huge forehands and he received the default win

I heard Roddick got the idea on his serve that buried into the clay by videotaping Majik while passing through his club

It sounds like you're afraid to even try those type of shots. It's not ballae, it's not kirati, or dancing, those take a lot of coordination. But all you have to worry about with those fast pace shots is timing your jump with the snap of your swing.

saram
03-17-2009, 09:38 AM
It sounds like you're afraid to even try those type of shots. It's not ballae, it's not kirati, or dancing, those take a lot of coordination. But all you have to worry about with those fast pace shots is timing your jump with the snap of your swing.

Is this how you get your incredible forehand and serve pace? I'd love to see a video so that you could teach us how to do it. You sound phenomenal.

EasleyTennis
03-17-2009, 09:52 AM
I have a feeling Majik will be making a new username before long.

Majik
03-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Is this how you get your incredible forehand and serve pace? I'd love to see a video so that you could teach us how to do it. You sound phenomenal.

This thread is not about my very incredible fast paced serve and forehand, but about the legality of hitting net players with very fast balls. Thanks for the encouragement, though, I'm sure I'll take that inspiration to the court next time.

To that end, one possiblity comes to mind. How appropriate is it when playing doubles to have your net man stand in front of the opponent's net man and diliberately block his view of the ball until he ducts just before a fast paced ball crosses the net directly at the opponent's net man? Just asking.

blakesq
03-17-2009, 10:22 AM
you can stand anywhere you want on your side of the court. you can also aim for the net man anytime you want.

This thread is not about my very incredible fast paced serve and forehand, but about the legality of hitting net players with very fast balls. Thanks for the encouragement, though, I'm sure I'll take that inspiration to the court next time.

To that end, one possiblity comes to mind. How appropriate is it when playing doubles to have your net man stand in front of the opponent's net man and diliberately block his view of the ball until he ducts just before a fast paced ball crosses the net directly at the opponent's net man? Just asking.

Majik
03-17-2009, 10:26 AM

What do they call that, jungle tennis? May the best may survive.

Majik
03-17-2009, 10:35 AM
you can stand anywhere you want on your side of the court. you can also aim for the net man anytime you want.

According to USTA rules I suppose. But is there any liability issues to worry about if the opponent gets hurt, pop an inflamed appendix for example, or put out an eye?

GPB
03-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Aside from being labeled as "that guy," and having people treat you the same way, there's no issues. I mean, come on; we're not (or shouldn't be) playing tennis to deliberately hurt people. That's rugby, or lacrosse, or soccer (hehe...) but not tennis. Hit him and claim your point. Hit his alley or The Hole (between the two players) and you'll claim the point as well, capice?

Spokewench
03-17-2009, 11:27 AM

That is the stupidest question I've hard so far. But this thread is amusing!

PushyPushster
03-17-2009, 11:34 AM
How appropriate is it when playing doubles to have your net man stand in front of the opponent's net man and diliberately block his view of the ball until he ducts just before a fast paced ball crosses the net directly at the opponent's net man?

Totally appropriate. I hope your partner has an extra set of eyes in the back of his head, though. It will help when timing those "ducts".

Jim A
03-17-2009, 12:00 PM

I think we have identified Majik, he's James Blake?

Tennis is karate, ballet and dancing all rolled into one...the person who hits the ball hardest doesn't always win, and more often than not loses

I'm dying to see video

blakesq
03-17-2009, 01:27 PM
No liability issues. You are assuming certain risks when playing tennis, getting hit by a ball during play is certainly one of those risks.

According to USTA rules I suppose. But is there any liability issues to worry about if the opponent gets hurt, pop an inflamed appendix for example, or put out an eye?

BorisBeckerFan
03-17-2009, 01:51 PM
There are just too many hilarious posts here to even begin quoting them.
If Majik is serious and not just pulling our leg this has to be one more entertaining threads I've seen in my short time on this forum.

Joeyg
03-17-2009, 02:31 PM
I agree with BorisBeckerFan. I find it hard to believe anyone could be this stupid. I am sure someone is playing this for laughs.

Fedace
03-17-2009, 02:33 PM
I like the family jewel the best.

10sfreak
03-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Delete thread.
Ban user.
No! No! No! This has been one of the more amusing threads on these boards. Much more so than the political/religious threads in the "Rant & Raves" section...

Bud
03-18-2009, 03:11 AM
3.0 with a 120 mph first serve and 100 mph forehand. Oh my--that fish is getting huge! Let me know when you set a world record landing that majestic fish, Majik!

HAHAHAHA

Thanks for making my evening worth staying up....

Lol! Good comment...

I once caught a fishy this big...
http://www.bolgernow.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/caught-a-fish-this-big.jpg

and it grew THISSSSS BIGGGG! :)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/2396278756_6d3b50f3a3.jpg?v=1207582321

LMAO! :lol:

saram
03-18-2009, 03:27 AM
^^haha...you made my morning!

Majik
03-18-2009, 08:30 AM
There are just too many hilarious posts here to even begin quoting them.
If Majik is serious and not just pulling our leg this has to be one more entertaining threads I've seen in my short time on this forum.

I'm a 50 year old man, I've got some pretty spectacular shots but need to work on my consistency. I can't start out with these great shots, but I have to warm up to them to get my dynamic balance accustomed to the faster pace.

This is my first time in a competitive situation. I self rated at 2.0 last term, but got bumped to 3.0 in the middle of the term. But I've not actually won a match yet. And if I keep improving at this rate, I sometimes wonder how far I can get ranked without actually winning a match. Either that or they're going to rank me an 8.0 just to stop me from playing because I'm so aggressive. I think I've gotten over the nerves and am able to relax more, so I'm hoping to improve this term even more, especially since the weather is warming up and I can practice outdoors.

LeeD
03-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Dude...
Hit the ball as hard as you can if you can keep it in.
Let the opponent figure out how to return and deal with your shots.
Of course, if you're playing mixed doubles, and you want to score points with the opposing weaker player, maybe don't hit full out into their belly button..... :):)
But hard shots is part of tennis. If they can't deal, just beat them.
And soon, they won't be feeding you easy balls to your forehand....that makes them better too !

EasleyTennis
03-18-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm a 50 year old man, I've got some pretty spectacular shots but need to work on my consistency. I can't start out with these great shots, but I have to warm up to them to get my dynamic balance accustomed to the faster pace.

This is my first time in a competitive situation. I self rated at 2.0 last term, but got bumped to 3.0 in the middle of the term. But I've not actually won a match yet. And if I keep improving at this rate, I sometimes wonder how far I can get ranked without actually winning a match. Either that or they're going to rank me an 8.0 just to stop me from playing because I'm so aggressive. I think I've gotten over the nerves and am able to relax more, so I'm hoping to improve this term even more, especially since the weather is warming up and I can practice outdoors.

For some reason I was thinking you were a 13 year old. Hitting a hard ball is fine and all, but you might want to work on placement and backhands. If you have as good as a forehand as you say then work on the rest of your game and you could be a very good player. Also smart players with good reflexes will use your power forehand against you if you hit it right at them.

SlapShot
03-18-2009, 10:34 AM

Wait wait wait....

You haven't won a 3.0 match yet, and yet you're convinced that your serve is 120mph and your forehand is 100mph?

Oh my....you have made my week. Thank you. :lol:

BorisBeckerFan
03-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi Majik, just wanted you to know that I wish you the best and I also enjoy
cranking it up sometimes if I'm in comtrol of the match. Practice placement
and depth of shot over pure speed. Once you've got those down start bringing it up a notch and see if you are still in control. Then keep working
up. I normally start my matches hitting around 60 to 70 percent of my
max controlable speed and work my way up as I build confidence.
Most of the pros can actually hit a bit faster than what they normally do
in a match but choose not to because it affects control. Any time that I actually swing as fast as I possibly can it ends up being a 50/50 shot and that's just not going to win very many matches. If you work a point well enough there is no reason you couldn't hit a well placed winner with a ball travelling 80 mph unless you are playing solid competition with good speed and defensive skills which I don't think you are at 3.0.

cknobman
03-18-2009, 11:09 AM
I want whatever juice the op is drinking.

A 100mph forehand consistently is hard for even pros to do much less a 3.0. Plus I think it would be nice to have a 129 mph serve too (mines only 119 lol).

heninfan99
03-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Always, Always, Always hit directly at your opponents if possible. It works especially well if your opponent is a small female person, preferably a beginner.

Swing away Majik; swing away...

heninfan99
03-18-2009, 11:45 AM
And he rolled his eyes back in his head as if to be offering a prayer to thank God that the point was over without getting hurt.

--I'll have to share that line at the club. Classic.

Majik
03-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Always, Always, Always hit directly at your opponents if possible. It works especially well if your opponent is a small female person, preferably a beginner.

Swing away Majik; swing away...

I accidental gave a young lady a bruise on her thigh a couple of weeks ago. We had 4 people on the court warming up, each pair hitting down the line. Then I let loose with a hard backhand. But it when cross court, and she didn't see it coming. It didn't seem to bother her at the time, but a week later she showed me the big oh bruise I gave her. I forgot that girls bruise easy.

However, I got hit square in the back while walking away from a pop up that my opponent managed to hit an overhead on it. I, however, did not get a bruise.

Topaz
03-18-2009, 11:53 AM
And he rolled his eyes back in his head as if to be offering a prayer to thank God that the point was over without getting hurt.

--I'll have to share that line at the club. Classic.

Yeah, again, Majic failed to mention that the guy who was supposedly 'praying' was also the guy who *won* the match.

Jim A
03-18-2009, 11:53 AM

You should really just enter an Open event

Majik
03-18-2009, 11:56 AM
I want whatever juice the op is drinking.

A 100mph forehand consistently is hard for even pros to do much less a 3.0. Plus I think it would be nice to have a 129 mph serve too (mines only 119 lol).

I'm using naNoVapor from GNC. It's suppose to dilate the blood vessels to increase blood flow to the muscles. I've noticed an improvement.

And I'm not doing 100mph forehands consistent, just maybe once or twice.

Majik
03-18-2009, 12:05 PM
For some reason I was thinking you were a 13 year old. Hitting a hard ball is fine and all, but you might want to work on placement and backhands. If you have as good as a forehand as you say then work on the rest of your game and you could be a very good player. Also smart players with good reflexes will use your power forehand against you if you hit it right at them.

Just a couple of days ago I stumbled upon a way of doing a top-spin lob with my backhand. I don't know where it came from; I never seen anyone do that before. I used a one hand backhand, but somehow kept my wrist near my hip while the racket swung upward at about an 80 angle. I think I even used my hip to help push my hand.

Anyway, it was a beautifully fast top-spin lob that was just high enough to go over the two opponents at the net and land in. I'm going to have to try that again.

Majik
03-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Wait wait wait....

You haven't won a 3.0 match yet, and yet you're convinced that your serve is 120mph and your forehand is 100mph?

Oh my....you have made my week. Thank you. :lol:

All true, I swear.

Jim A
03-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Just a couple of days ago I stumbled upon a way of doing a top-spin lob with my backhand. I don't know where it came from; I never seen anyone do that before. I used a one hand backhand, but somehow kept my wrist near my hip while the racket swung upward at about an 80 angle. I think I even used my hip to help push my hand.

Anyway, it was a beautifully fast top-spin lob that was just high enough to go over the two opponents at the net and land in. I'm going to have to try that again.

this is called a *mishit winner*

kat4show
03-18-2009, 12:26 PM
<<Always, Always, Always hit directly at your opponents if possible. It works especially well if your opponent is a small female person, preferably a beginner.

Swing away Majik; swing away...>>

OK girl here.
I loved the way all you guys are responding to this guy. There is NO 3.0 player I am aware of who even knows anything about technicalities that he is mentioning, eg. ability to dip the ball, side spin, underspin etc. He is either a 4.5 player goofing everyone or is really a 3.0 player who is reading out of some book while he posts. But yea, there are 3.0 players who think tennis is all about just hitting the crap out of the ball and nothing else.
I occasionally play mixed. And that's what some of these guys do. Instead of having a good game with ralleys, and good consistent hitting, they look at the girl on the other side of the net, serve the crap out of the ball, and if you can manage to return it, they'll hit the crap out of it again, right at you. This is fun? What is with you guys?
You can't all be A-holes?

Topaz
03-18-2009, 12:46 PM
<<Always, Always, Always hit directly at your opponents if possible. It works especially well if your opponent is a small female person, preferably a beginner.

Swing away Majik; swing away...>>

OK girl here.
I loved the way all you guys are responding to this guy. There is NO 3.0 player I am aware of who even knows anything about technicalities that he is mentioning, eg. ability to dip the ball, side spin, underspin etc. He is either a 4.5 player goofing everyone or is really a 3.0 player who is reading out of some book while he posts. But yea, there are 3.0 players who think tennis is all about just hitting the crap out of the ball and nothing else.
I occasionally play mixed. And that's what some of these guys do. Instead of having a good game with ralleys, and good consistent hitting, they look at the girl on the other side of the net, serve the crap out of the ball, and if you can manage to return it, they'll hit the crap out of it again, right at you. This is fun? What is with you guys?
You can't all be A-holes?

Hi Kat, another gal here! :)

Let them do it...it is very easy to just block those balls back. And they become awfully predictable, too.

Look at the OP...he hits so hard (supposedly) but has not won a match.

BorisBeckerFan
03-18-2009, 12:48 PM
I accidental gave a young lady a bruise on her thigh a couple of weeks ago. We had 4 people on the court warming up, each pair hitting down the line. Then I let loose with a hard backhand. But it when cross court, and she didn't see it coming. It didn't seem to bother her at the time, but a week later she showed me the big oh bruise I gave her. I forgot that girls bruise easy.

However, I got hit square in the back while walking away from a pop up that my opponent managed to hit an overhead on it. I, however, did not get a bruise.

The fact that you bruised a girl going for a down the line back hand but hit it cross court shows that you have a lot of work to do on your game before going for pace let alone blistering 100 mph forehands. I don't know were you play but I am surprised your membership hasn't been suspended. Thank god
it was accidental but the fact remains you hit her while she was warming up.
This is just crazy. I've posted a couple comments here giving you some tips
but the more you post the more I think there's just no use.

Topaz
03-18-2009, 12:51 PM
The fact that you bruised a girl going for a down the line back hand but hit it cross court shows that you have a lot of work to do on your game before going for pace let alone blistering 100 mph forehands. I don't know were you play but I am surprised your membership hasn't been suspended. Thank god

Wow, somehow I missed this one.

Un-freakin'-believable.

OP, you think you should be rated higher, yet you can't win matches, you can't even sustain a rally in the correct direction, and since you can't give a decent warm-up, you'll be lucky if anyone wants to waste their time hitting with you.

BBFan...I think you're on to something...we're wasting *our* time here!

sureshs
03-18-2009, 12:54 PM
I think I even used my hip to help push my hand.

You are a teenager posing as an eccentric old man, aren't you? Come clean now, fun time is over.

heninfan99
03-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Lendl sprinkling some Majik Dust on Mcenroe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xAPwx3z950

Majik
03-18-2009, 12:57 PM
You are a teenager posing as an eccentric old man, aren't you? Come clean now, fun time is over.

No! Honestly, it's all true. I wouldn't lie.

Majik
03-18-2009, 01:09 PM

Now that you mention it, that is quite funny. I about died laughing when I read the responses, thanks.

But then again, come on... you've never miss hit a ball or two? I think what happen was I was suppose to hit an inside back hand and accidentally reverted to an outside backhand. Oops, sorry.

Majik
03-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Wow, somehow I missed this one.

Un-freakin'-believable.

OP, you think you should be rated higher, yet you can't win matches, you can't even sustain a rally in the correct direction, and since you can't give a decent warm-up, you'll be lucky if anyone wants to waste their time hitting with you.

BBFan...I think you're on to something...we're wasting *our* time here!

Dude, I was relating the unusual shots, not the usual shots; no reason to even mention them. We were talking about how right it is to hit hard shots directly at the net man. And I'm still not sure about it.

BorisBeckerFan
03-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Yes I miss hit my share of shots but by your own words you decided to let loose on that backhand. I will mis hit some balls when the opponent has out
manuverd me and gets a ball behind me etc, but not warming up. When you warm up the point is to get the blood flowing and build confidence in your strokes not ripping the cover of the ball.

PushyPushster
03-18-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm using naNoVapor from GNC.

I've been using a cocktail of crack, meth, and PCP, but still haven't been able to hallucinate up a 100mph forehand. Now I know where to go for the really good stuff. GNC. Btw, here's the ad for naNo Vapor at the GNC site.

"Brace yourself for a life-altering experience unlike anything you've ever felt in your life. Just a single hit of naNo Vaporô overwhelms every fiber of your being with white-hot intensity, priming every muscle for unrestrained size and inhuman strength."

Awesome. I can totally see a lot of guys buying Nano Vapor because they want a certain muscle to grow to "unrestrained size".

saram
03-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Majik--whomever you are behind the mask of "Majik" here..you've given us a good chuckle.

Now, will the real Majik please stand up and reveal themselves?!

Andres
03-19-2009, 06:42 AM
Will the real Slim Majik please stand up, please stand up, please stand up?

hoodjem
03-19-2009, 06:50 AM
I'm playing 3.0 USTA league tennis. And I'm starting to develope a 100mph or more forehand as an aggressive baseliner.

3.0 at 100 mph? Really?

I think 3.0 players don't have too much to worry about. They should just duck or let it go by, as it will surely be out.

If you can hit a 100 mph forehand and keep it in the court, then you are not 3.0

Bud
03-19-2009, 08:07 AM
3.0 at 100 mph? Really?

I think 3.0 players don't have too much to worry about. They should just duck or let it go by, as it will surely be out.

If you can hit a 100 mph forehand and keep it in the court, then you are not 3.0

Strongly agree.

Majik
03-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Yes I miss hit my share of shots but by your own words you decided to let loose on that backhand. I will mis hit some balls when the opponent has out
manuverd me and gets a ball behind me etc, but not warming up. When you warm up the point is to get the blood flowing and build confidence in your strokes not ripping the cover of the ball.

As I recall, the 3 others on the court at that time were also mishitting cross court rarely. We had been batting the ball back and forth for about 15-20minutes, and everyone was beginning to hit harder and harder. The trouble is that I was just punching the ball back and forth down the line and was not really coiling up to hit faster paced balls. So when I say "let loose" I mean coil up the shoulder and release, and not just punching. I'm not so good at releasing a coil with balls directed at me; I do better with that when balls are off to the side a bit because I have more time to set up a closed stance and step into it. I get caught unprepared when balls are directly at me. And you?

Majik
03-19-2009, 08:26 AM
3.0 at 100 mph? Really?

How about 100mph coming off the racket since the ball looses about 20% of its speed due to drag when travelling the distance of the court. Will you give me that?

Azzurri
03-19-2009, 08:28 AM
How about 100mph coming off the racket since the ball looses about 20% of its speed due to drag when travelling the distance of the court. Will you give me that?

uhh, no. someone will soon enough figure out what your former BANNED username was.

10sfreak
03-20-2009, 04:37 PM
I like the family jewel the best.
Uh, exactly whose "family jewel" do you like best, Fed?:shock:

10sfreak
03-20-2009, 04:47 PM

Let me guess: it's because you're a KARATE MAN; you bruise on the inside, right? LOL!

moonbat
03-21-2009, 10:24 PM

Dear freak, I remember reading all about this in the paper, and I felt so bad for you! I thought for sure that Bush would pardon you before he left office.:(

Majik
03-22-2009, 07:39 AM
I don't know if any of y'all have heard of this incident, but I got sent to prison last year for killing 2 people.

I don't think they let people in prison post on the internet. So what state sentences people to prison for less than one year for killing 2 people? I want to move there.

10sfreak
03-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Dear freak, I remember reading all about this in the paper, and I felt so bad for you! I thought for sure that Bush would pardon you before he left office.:(
Actually, since it was a state crime and not a Federal offense, it was up to Gov. Purdue to pardon me, and he DID!!! Woo-hoo! But thanks for your concern!:-)

10sfreak
03-22-2009, 07:48 AM
I don't think they let people in prison post on the internet. So what state sentences people to prison for less than one year for killing 2 people? I want to move there.
Well, it was manslaughter, not murder. And you can see from my response to moonbat that I got a pardon from Gov. Purdue. Moonbat can fill you in on the details...:-)

moonbat
03-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Actually, since it was a state crime and not a Federal offense, it was up to Gov. Purdue to pardon me, and he DID!!! Woo-hoo! But thanks for your concern!:-)

My bad. I thought the tennis court straddled state lines.

burosky
03-23-2009, 12:48 PM
I saw 10sfreak hit that shot. I was secretly spying by the grassy knoll. Talk about killing 2 birds with one stone. :-)

You should thank 10sfreak for the words of wisdom. :-) :-)

10sfreak
03-23-2009, 08:13 PM
I saw 10sfreak hit that shot. I was secretly spying by the grassy knoll. Talk about killing 2 birds with one stone. :-)

You should thank 10sfreak for the words of wisdom. :-) :-)
Aha! There WAS someone else there! I knew it! I tried to tell the judge and jury that there MUST have been a second hitter - I really didn't think I could have killed two people with just one shot. Uh-oh, now the conspiracy theorists are gonna go nuts...where's Stormholloway?

saram
03-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Aha! There WAS someone else there! I knew it! I tried to tell the judge and jury that there MUST have been a second hitter - I really didn't think I could have killed two people with just one shot. Uh-oh, now the conspiracy theorists are gonna go nuts...where's Stormholloway?

He's working on a Conspiracy Theory right now. Give him some time....:)