PDA

View Full Version : Questions on College tennis and how the lineups are

Ballinbob
03-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Hey everyone, I'm really starting to research colleges right now and am looking at different schools and stuff. But I have some questions that I was hoping you could help me with. and if you don't know the answer, but know someone else who may have it, that's still fine.

Questions

If your a junior playing USTA tournaments, what national ranking would you need to make it into a DI, DII, and DIII school?

How many players are on a college tennis team? I know it's 11 players make the varsity team for highschool tennis, is it the same for college?

How many doubles teams are there and how many singles?

Do colleges care more about a good national ranking or NTRP? I'm really confused on this. Because I'm playing alot of tournaments right now and I think that's the right thing to do, but I don't have a NTRP rating by a coach. Does this even matter??

Oh and if you were wondering I'm 15 years old
Thanks everyone

cncretecwbo
03-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Hey everyone, I'm really starting to research colleges right now and am looking at different schools and stuff. But I have some questions that I was hoping you could help me with. and if you don't know the answer, but know someone else who may have it, that's still fine.

Questions

If your a junior playing USTA tournaments, what national ranking would you need to make it into a DI, DII, and DIII school?

it all depends on how good the school is, if you can make a d1 team you dont really need to ask if you can

How many players are on a college tennis team? I know it's 11 players make the varsity team for highschool tennis, is it the same for college?

its not 11 in high school, its whatever the coach/school wants. same for college

3 doubles, 6 singles. anyone can play both or either.

Do colleges care more about a good national ranking or NTRP? I'm really confused on this. Because I'm playing alot of tournaments right now and I think that's the right thing to do, but I don't have a NTRP rating by a coach. Does this even matter??

national ranking, it shows what you actually have done, not what a random coach says

Thanks everyone

answers above in bold

Ballinbob
03-15-2009, 03:43 PM
thanks, that helped alot cncretecwbo:)

tennismom42
03-16-2009, 10:55 AM

Questions

Thanks everyone
If there's an ITF in your area, try to go to it. You still have time, at age 15.

For your section, you may have some circuits. These are tournaments with a compass draw. ALWAYS do the compass draw tournaments and ALWAYS play doubles at every tournament. This will get your rankings up for USTA. Furthermore, it will give the coaches an idea if you can play doubles. College coaches need doubles players. Compass draw tournaments give you a guaranteed 4 matches for singles. More bang for the buck. If you don't already know what pointed tournaments are in your section, find out. Typically there are about 12 per section (levels 1 -5 are the only ones that count). If you live near another section, try to drive down for their level 5 open tournaments. If you're going to visit a relative or vacation somewhere, see if there's a tournament in their area and do both (visiting & tournament).

jaggy
03-17-2009, 06:28 AM
The recruiting needs are also pretty specific to each individual teams needs and coaches whims. If a team doesnt have a lefty they may get an offer over a higher ranked righty, similarly scholarships tend to go more to foreign players so if you were to walk on you have more chance at some places.
I think any good player can get to play in college, they just have to be prepared to find someone who wants them which may be Div 3 and expensive.