PDA

View Full Version : What is ARAG ATP team championship ?

Aykhan Mammadov
03-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Anybody knows? How are participating countries determined ? How are their teams determined ? What is ARAG ? Why to have this if there is Davis Cup ?

Aykhan Mammadov
03-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Look at ATP 2005 calendar. Nobody knows ?

tennisboy87
03-06-2005, 12:13 PM
http://www.arag-world-team-cup.com/en/index.php

Here's the official site. It should explain everything for you.

Aykhan Mammadov
03-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks tennisboy87, I knew this site of course because there is a link to it directly in the calendar of ATP events in the atptennis.com. But I couldn't find answers to my all questions there.

Best 8 countries are determined based on rankings of their 2 best players. What if a country refused to play ? And who plays for the country - the best 2 players or whomever from these countries ? What if some players refused to play ?

It is interesting that there is prize 2.1 millions EURO. And it started from 1978 !!! It seems that ATP team championship by some reasons is less popular than Davis Cup. Isn't ?

Phil
03-06-2005, 06:23 PM
I thought that "ARAG" was the onomonopia sound that comic book characters made when they were shot: "Arrrrrrrrrrrahhhhhhggggg!" Or else, it's an item that was used in another era, prior to the introduction of modern commercial feminine hygeine products.