PDA

View Full Version : given up on MG extreme pro

luckyguy
03-16-2009, 05:33 AM
i've been with my MG extreme pro for more than one year now. It has been an up and down ride. It hits nice overall, but the control is not consistent enough for me. I tried different string set-ups but could not really find the best one that matches my game. I thrive mainly in baseline play and would only go to the net when I have to. Semi-western FH and a two handed BH. I hit medium topspin to flat. I'm looking for a racquet that would offer decent pop with control. Also the weight should be no less than 300.

These are the racquets that ill be choosing from, dont have the option of demo coz im overseas. which would best fit me?

-Tfight 320 VO2 max
-Tfight 320 (orig 16 x 20)
-Babolar pure storm limited
-MG radical pro
-MG prestige pro
-MG prestige midplus
-speedport tour

furyoku_tennis
03-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Out of the choices you listed, I'd say either the Prestige MP or Pro depending on if you want a lot more spin or just a bit. You might also want to consider the Pure Drive Roddick as the extreme pro is head's version of the pure drive.

luckyguy
03-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Last night I had a chance to play with the PDR. At first it was fine, not so different from my MGEP. But then afterwards, i started to feel slight pain in my elbow and arm. Still i continued to hit with it and had a one-setter with my usual hitting partner. I won 6-4 despite the pain throughout that one-set game. Lot of big forehands there, but I put it down immediately after the match. There was pain from the elbow to just below the shoulder, so i think although the PDR was quite impressive, it's not for me.

I have no experience whatsoever with the prestige line. How does it compare with the extremes?? thanks

furyoku_tennis
03-16-2009, 09:13 AM
IMO the MP has better plowthrough, stability, and control. There might not be as much spin, but you can still generate a fair amount. Good touch and control on the volleys. One of the better serving racquets.

The Pro is a bit lighter than the MP and closer to the extreme. I found the swingweight a bit low, but with a bit of lead, it had good solid groundstrokes and decent control. I haven't been able to get the Pro to work consistently for me and prefer the MP. The Pro has a good amount of room for customization as it weighs less than 12.0 oz.

I've hit with extreme pro before and found that the prestiges were much better. I had more consistency with the prestiges, so either one would be good. However, in your case, it really depends as racquets are subjective and what I like, you might not.

phoenicks
03-16-2009, 09:15 AM
prestige and extreme are like on the 2 extreme end of in terms of power, control, spin.

With prestige, u have to put in serious effort to get spin unlike extreme pro ( speaking from mid perspective ), wif extreme pro i have to put in lots of spin to keep it from sailing out, unlike prestige where I can juz swing all out without holding back.

luckyguy
03-16-2009, 10:22 AM
how bout the tfights?? how do they compare with the MGEP and how to they compare with the prestige line?

TennisandMusic
03-16-2009, 10:48 AM
I would add the yonex RDiS 100 MP to your list if you were seeking more control. I personally feel that racquet is "better" than any of those you listed. The prestiges are pretty close though, and also great racquets. Just make sure you can deal with the grip shape. :-)

counterpuncher
03-16-2009, 01:50 PM
prestige and extreme are like on the 2 extreme end of in terms of power, control, spin.
Agree here, while you may get a lot more control out of something like a Prestige you will need a major change in your game to cope with an inherently less powerful frame. Coming from the Extreme and the PDR, some more arm friendly and control orientated options you need to look at are :

- Head MG Radical Pro
- Babolat Pure Storm Tour / Aero Pro Drive (cortex)
- Prince Speedport Black
- Fischer Magnetic Tour
- Volkl DNX 8 / Power Bridge 8
- Yonex RDiS 300 / RDS 003

Richie Rich
03-16-2009, 02:23 PM
i've been with my MG extreme pro for more than one year now. It has been an up and down ride. It hits nice overall, but the control is not consistent enough for me. I tried different string set-ups but could not really find the best one that matches my game. I thrive mainly in baseline play and would only go to the net when I have to. Semi-western FH and a two handed BH. I hit medium topspin to flat. I'm looking for a racquet that would offer decent pop with control. Also the weight should be no less than 300.

These are the racquets that ill be choosing from, dont have the option of demo coz im overseas. which would best fit me?

-Tfight 320 VO2 max
-MG radical pro
-MG prestige pro
-MG prestige midplus
-speedport tour

i found the same thing. i get much more spin from my mg prestige MP. go figure. just did not enjoy the extreme at all.

EsteroTennis
05-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Have you tried the 2009 Microgel Extreme Pro yet ?

From what I've read.....it is supposed to have much
more consistency ! A subtle change may be all you need ?

wksoh
12-06-2009, 03:27 AM
I own 2 x Microgel Extreme Pro too. Now I have moved to Speedport Tour. I find the Speedport tours very good for me... I'm curious about the Fischer Mpro 1 now that it is on sale..

fuzz nation
12-06-2009, 05:58 AM
I'd bet that the MG Prestige, Prestige Pro and Radical Pro would all be the smart ones to consider first since they have the same grip shape as your frame. These offer more flex than your Extreme and that ought to give you a significantly higher dose of control with your full swings. Not much experience with Tecnifibre, but I'd try the 16x20 TFight 320 ahead of the newer one. I've had better luck with more open string patterns lately.

Casco
12-06-2009, 06:59 PM
I used the MG Extreme for over a year. I switched to Yonex. I'm undecided betwen two models that I custo,mize to same weight and balance - the RDis 100 MP and the RDS 002 Tour. Quality control is superb - all to spec and feel the same. The Heads were all different. Lower power than the Extreme but superior control and touch.

THESEXPISTOL
12-06-2009, 08:12 PM
It was hard at the start.. But after i've found the correct tension and string type is all about rippin' baseline winners and S&V baby! YEEAHH!!

Anton
12-06-2009, 09:23 PM

From how you describe your game and feeling towards Ex PRO I'm pretty sure you'll love Prince Rebel 95 (heavy) - it's got tons of control and feedback and is great for aggressive baseline that drives the ball on the flat side and doesn't have problem generating depth.

doctor dennis
12-07-2009, 10:18 AM

-Tfight 320 VO2 max
-MG radical pro
-MG prestige pro
-MG prestige midplus
-speedport tour

wow. Your game style is very similar to mine as is your current dilema. Lol. I just sold my Extreme Pro's and I'm replacing them with MG Prestige MP's. I generally don't like tight string patterns but after demoing a Youtek Radical my eyes got opened. I haven't noticed any lack of spin (I play win lots). I'm hitting with more controllable power now I'd say. With the Extreme Pros, when your hitting well the power is insane but if your not it can be a battle with control. I'm much more consistant now and hitting bigger. Go figure. There is definately a power difference on serve but I'm again more consistant. I'd say go Prestige or give the Radical MP a go. Both are different to the Extreme Pro but you won't go wrong with either. Just my opinions of course.
Doc

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-07-2009, 11:33 AM

-Tfight 320 VO2 max
-MG radical pro
-MG prestige pro
-MG prestige midplus
-speedport tour

I agree the Head Extreme Pro has a low amount of control. I was so done with head that I broke 2 HEP and 1 Head LM Radical OS in 1 day.

Maybe I would have been happier with the MG Prestige line. Maybe I have no talent and move around the court like a hippopotamus.:twisted: