PDA

View Full Version : String pattern: Quantifiable difference?

Schills
03-16-2009, 07:53 AM
I understand that an open string pattern should generate more spin. I get that.

But I want to know how much of a difference it really makes. If a mild topspin hitter used the same stroke on a 16 x19 string pattern and then on a POG with a very open string pattern, would his mild topspin stroke now produce substantially more spin, or would the difference be negligible? Or to keep things simple, would the same person see much difference in the amount of spin generated with the two different string patterns on a K95?

I ask because I hit relatively flat and have never noticed the difference between all the string patterns, and am beginning to believe that the differences are more hypothetical or academic and really don't manifest themselves in the real world.

Thoughts?

dunno
03-16-2009, 08:54 AM
For me it's not about the spin, but it's more about how the racket feels. Closed and open string patterns feel very different.

Schills
03-16-2009, 09:10 AM
For me it's not about the spin, but it's more about how the racket feels. Closed and open string patterns feel very different.

Agreed. They feel different. I can certainly feel the difference. But I didn't notice any difference in the amount of spin I was generating. I hit flat, so I'm not the best judge, which is why I asked. I'm interested to know if those who hit with more spin noticed a difference.

KFwinds
03-16-2009, 09:10 AM

I'm the same way; and I'll add to this by saying that it's all about the stroke and how much head speed you generate. For me, the faster I can get the head through the contact zone I tend to get more spin, regardless of the racquet's string pattern. Oh, and the other variable is the strings (type, gauge, and tension). It's really difficult just to say, "Racquet X with a 16x18 string pattern will give you more spin than racquet Y with an 18x20 pattern." There are too many other variables.