PDA

View Full Version : Shortening a 28 inch racquet a half inch

tacoben
03-16-2009, 11:28 AM
I have an older Wilson hyper hammer 2.3 at 28 inches long. I'm debating on shortening the racquet a half inch to make it 27.5 inches. The racquet is made of carbon fibre, so I'm not sure of how to go about this. I've talked to people and have been informed that a fined tooth hacksaw might work but a high speed cutter (8000 rpm) is adviseble to avoid fraying. Has anyone ever done this? Thanks.

Racketdesign
03-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Ive done thousands!

Either type of saw will work just fine, just take the sensible saftey precautions with both!

If there is any "fray" you can sand it slightly using regular sandpaper or emery cloth. Be careful not to spike yourself on any stray fibers as they can be painful, especialy when wedged under a finger nail ;0)

william7gr
03-16-2009, 07:44 PM
I heard it was REALLY bad if you got those fibers stuck in you so be careful.

2handsbothsides
03-17-2009, 10:38 AM
I have cut down many racquets. Almost any saw will do just fine. Used table saws, miters, band saws, hand and hack saws, etc. Power saws are quick and accurate. Take your time and any reasonably fine toothed hand saw will do the job.

stormholloway
03-17-2009, 11:08 AM
You should cut length from the hoop if you're going to do it.

GPB
03-17-2009, 11:23 AM
If there is any "fray" you can sand it slightly using regular sandpaper or emery cloth. Be careful not to spike yourself on any stray fibers as they can be painful, especialy when wedged under a finger nail ;0)

No kidding... I got a strand of carbon in my finger when turning my Vantage into a Pam Anderson edition, and it hurt like crazy! I can't imagine what it feels like under the fingernail...