PDA

View Full Version : Struggling to get going with the Microgel Prestige MP

Gugafan
03-16-2009, 12:38 PM
I strung my MGPMP with sppp (1.18mm) at 51 lbs. I had tried this setup before, but the string broke after 2-3 weeks so thought I would give it another try. The lack of response with this string was unreal. Balls were landing short, and I was forced to really swing out to get any depth or pace on the ball. It's almost got to a stage, where I have lost confidence in my best shot (backhand).

I had been using Krischbaum Spiky Shark 1.23mm (52 lbs) in the racqet before, and it felt more powerful but the lack of tenison maintenance was my problem.

There has been some good reviews of stringing with Signum but it felt dead and muted in my 18x20 string pattern. Not sure if anyone else has tried it in a dense string pattern??.. I want to get the loving feel with this racquet, but if anything my game seems to be regressing with the current setups I am using...Is lead the way forward??..For me it ruins the feel of the racket.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could suggest the best string and/or other setups with this racket to give that bit of heft for an agressive baseliner. In addition, I would like to hear your grip setups. On my grip 3, I have tried 2 overgrips alone and found stability to be an issue. A cushion grip (wilson microdry) felt abit too 'cushiony' for my likeing and you cant really generate that extra bit of wristiness on forehands. Perhaps I should go back to using the hydrosorb or any leather fans out there??.

Thanks...Maybe someone will help me restore my faith in the stick

roddickslammer
03-16-2009, 01:07 PM
mabey the prince syn gut duraflex? I found that to have quite a bit of power....

bad_call
03-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Gugafan - i didn't like SPPP 1.18 either in a mid 18x20. maybe go with a hybrid with a more powerful main and crisp cross. btw - i usually string crosses +4 higher than mains. have u tried Cyber Blue?

furyoku_tennis
03-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Mine is currently strung with Pro Code Red 16g at 56lbs I think (Can't really remember). I can get a good amount of spin, control, and power with this setup and it doesn't feel stiff at all.

Grip wise, I have a 1/4 with original grip and one yonex supergrap on it. I have a leather grip plus supergrap on my prestige mid and its quite nice.

ronalditop
03-16-2009, 01:37 PM
if your problem is lack of power, just use a softer string, or add some lead. i have no problems with power, just that i feel the stringbed very hard, it but must be the strings. im gonna use pro hurricane17 with wilson syngut16 at 56/58 next time.

Gee
03-16-2009, 01:54 PM
I strung my MGPMP with sppp (1.18mm) at 51 lbs. I had tried this setup before, but the string broke after 2-3 weeks so thought I would give it another try. The lack of response with this string was unreal. Balls were landing short, and I was forced to really swing out to get any depth or pace on the ball. It's almost got to a stage, where I have lost confidence in my best shot (backhand).

I had been using Krischbaum Spiky Shark 1.23mm (52 lbs) in the racqet before, and it felt more powerful but the lack of tenison maintenance was my problem.

There has been some good reviews of stringing with Signum but it felt dead and muted in my 18x20 string pattern. Not sure if anyone else has tried it in a dense string pattern??.. I want to get the loving feel with this racquet, but if anything my game seems to be regressing with the current setups I am using...Is lead the way forward??..For me it ruins the feel of the racket.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could suggest the best string and/or other setups with this racket to give that bit of heft for an agressive baseliner. In addition, I would like to hear your grip setups. On my grip 3, I have tried 2 overgrips alone and found stability to be an issue. A cushion grip (wilson microdry) felt abit too 'cushiony' for my likeing and you cant really generate that extra bit of wristiness on forehands. Perhaps I should go back to using the hydrosorb or any leather fans out there??.

Thanks...Maybe someone will help me restore my faith in the stick
Last year I owned MG Prestige MP and tried to customize to my liking because of the very low swingweight. I put a leather grip and I added 4 grams at 3 and 9. With these customizations the frame total weight became 354 grams.
Though the power level increased through the added weight the feel of the racquet was worse.
Finally I gave up the MG MP and I switched to Tecnifibre TFight 335 16x20 that has the solidness and plow-through I was looking for. One other advantage of the TF concerns that the grip shape is more like wilson/yonex ones and not so rectangular like the old Head models.
However I regret the Micogel Prestige MP is not so great what you might expect from such a well established racquet model. I demoed the MG Prestige Mid. With this one I experienced that special plow through effect that is so typical of a real Prestige. Only I missed the extra spin potential from the small headsize. I wished the MP version had the same stableness and feel as the mid.

Richie Rich
03-16-2009, 03:26 PM
i put on thin vantage leather grips on my MG MP. that firms up the handle really nice.

in terms of string, i've found that any 17g poly under 54 lbs works great with this frame. i've played with unique big hitter, supex big ace, polystar energy, and a few others i can't remember. some are better than others at retaining tension but that's life with a poly.

no_dark_things
03-16-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm thrilled with my Microgel Prestige MP using Gamma leather grips with a single layer of Yonex Grap overgrip. I feel the bevels really well and the grips seem to me more consistent in feel and size as opposed to synthetic grips I've used all my life.

As far as strings go I haven't had any power or feel issues using TNT 17 at 62lbs though I am considering trying 58 just to see what happens and to make it a little easier on my arm. Another string I go to if I want a livelier feel is Tecnifibre NRG 17. Even though both strings have been around forever I still haven't found anything I like better yet. Either string works great for me. I would like to try a poly one of these days in them but I no longer have my own stringing machine and tension loss is a concern for me.

I added to a six inch strip of lead at the 2 and 10 positions under the cap and am down for the feel and stability that it has provided. I could use the racquet with or without the lead.

Gugafan
03-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys....I tried adding leather with an overgrip today and really enjoyed the feel and response I was getting. Serve was bigger, Backhand felt alot more powerful and controlled, and the racquet felt alot more stable when returning. Only downfall was my forehand struggled, largely due to the increase in grip size with this setup. I'm definitely going to order the TW thin leather.

Having replaced the Hydrosorb with a Babolat leather what does this do to the balance and sw of the racquet??..The babolat leather trimmed adds about 10 grams compared to the hydrsorb.

Concerning the strings, I might try polystar energy or pro big ace next. Anyone tried BB Original??, I always felt it was very powerful but never tried it in an 18x20 for awhile.

Gee I certainly agree with you that adding to much lead can make the feel of the racquet worse. I think the leather alone improves the stability and plow-through.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

kevsaenz
03-17-2009, 07:00 PM
I use full Unique big hitter 17 at 58 on mine. also use head hydrocontrol grip w/ a overgrip

jcstennis
03-17-2009, 10:01 PM
My MG P MP is set up like this... Babolat Leather, Yonex Supergrap, ALU Rough full job (or some times crossed with X1 biphase red), and use a touch of lead at 3/9 and some at the bottom of the throat near the handle (i'm talking on 1-2 grams in each spot)... and the racquet is 10 pts HL (i may have lead on the handle, i forget!) but it weighs at the 345-ish mark... nice weight for that racquet.

Gugafan
03-18-2009, 04:52 PM
My MG P MP is set up like this... Babolat Leather, Yonex Supergrap, ALU Rough full job (or some times crossed with X1 biphase red), and use a touch of lead at 3/9 and some at the bottom of the throat near the handle (i'm talking on 1-2 grams in each spot)... and the racquet is 10 pts HL (i may have lead on the handle, i forget!) but it weighs at the 345-ish mark... nice weight for that racquet.

Nice setups..I am using babolat leather with a wilson pro overgrip myself and love the feel. Just wanted to know what gripsize your using. I use a size 3 and the grip feels slightly big with the leather and overgrip combination.

ronalditop
03-18-2009, 05:46 PM
My MGPMP have a 3/8 gripsize with one full size heatshrink, an hydrosorb grip and two OGs( supreme and pro team on top). I also put around 6 grams of lead at 3 and 9 oclock.

rooski
03-18-2009, 07:30 PM

There has been some good reviews of stringing with Signum but it felt dead and muted in my 18x20 string pattern. Not sure if anyone else has tried it in a dense string pattern??.. I want to get the loving feel with this racquet, but if anything my game seems to be regressing with the current setups I am using

I have never been a fan of a full poly set up in any 18 x 20 frame, even a really good thin co-poly like SPPP 1.18. However, this same string is fantastic in a hybrid string job. I used SPPP 1.18 with PSGD 17 in my nBlades for a long time and loved the feel. The other key is tension. On an electric constant pull machine I used to go with 51 on the SPPP 1.18 mains and 53 on the PSGD 17 crosses. I've since moved to Weiss Cannon SS 1.20 because it's a little crisper but both are great poly's. Try a hybrid set up before you throw in the towel on your MG Prestige MP.