PDA

View Full Version : My method to reduce grip size!

votin123
03-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Well, I was thinking reduce my grip size by using 2 or 3 over grips depend on the cushion. But a lot of people say you will get elbow injury if you do that. Therefore i was thinking what if you put like a rubber band beneath all of those overgrips. Would it reduce some vibration go into your hand ?

NOTE: this is just an ideal, haven't try it yet.

furyoku_tennis
03-16-2009, 02:01 PM
there was an article that showed that grip size had no effect on tennis elbow. you should try and find it. i can't remember where i saw it at the moment, but i remember posting the link in a thread. good luck.

jmoreno1
03-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Here is what worked for me,
Buy the Laserfibre reducer grip which is synthetic but,
contours or feels more like leather,but less thick.
When you add your overgrip it should be reduced by almost
one size. It worked for me without having to modify the handle.
Good luck.

Bud
03-16-2009, 03:27 PM
there was an article that showed that grip size had no effect on tennis elbow. you should try and find it. i can't remember where i saw it at the moment, but i remember posting the link in a thread. good luck.

I think the OP is referring to the cushioning of the stock grip.

Il Mostro
03-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Here is what worked for me,
Buy the Laserfibre reducer grip which is synthetic but,
contours or feels more like leather,but less thick.
When you add your overgrip it should be reduced by almost
one size. It worked for me without having to modify the handle.
Good luck.

+1 Works great. Even the Twin Tour, not a reducer grip per se, will make the grip smaller. But the Tour Fit reducer is the best way to go IMO.

furyoku_tennis
03-16-2009, 04:57 PM
shave the grip down and then you can use the thickest grip you want and it'd still fit in your hand.

Fearsome Forehand
03-16-2009, 05:10 PM
I have a friend who rubbed Extenze tablets all over his fingers. This greatly increased the size of his fingers effectively making his existing grips feel smaller. ;o)

You are not going to get TE from using multiple overgrips in lieu of a replacement grip. You could try some of the thinner replacement grips (i.e. the thinnest leather or whatever the thinnest synthetic is.) Or, you could use a couple (or even just one) Super Graps or Pro Grips (or whatever overgrip you like) and it would probably feel pretty comfy. Plus, if you like to feel the bevels, using one or two overgrips instead of the typical overly padded synthetic replacement grip might feel great to you. I think Guga Kuerten used two overgrips instead of a replacement grip. I have tried that method and it was okay, but I prefer leather grips because I like their firmness and being able to feel the bevels. But, that is very much a matter of personal taste. Experiment and see what feels good to you.

People shave down grips but I personally hate to do anything to a frame that isn't reversible just in case you want to sell it or trade it later on. Shaving grips is the method of last resort IMHO.

Some Head and Volkl frames have replaceable grip pallets; others have molded foam grips. Easier to change the former than the latter provided you can find the correct pallets (not always an easy thing).

dmc007
03-16-2009, 05:12 PM
I used overgrip with nothing under it since early 90's on a L4 grip size. I recently switched to a leather grip and like it much better. I can feel every bevel and it really has helped my game, I tried it on a whim and now love it. I bought the TW brand, it's really thin. One note, my racquet has the Prince cushion grip system...not sure if that matters for comfort.