PDA

View Full Version : lead tape

mattread95
03-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi everyone this is my first thread and i have a question.
i am a higher level club player who is looking to improve. i have a APD with duralast 13l strings i hit with a lot of topspin and i am looking to add a lot more power to my APD without altering the APD balance. i have started to think i might try the "nadal" setup but i wanted someone elses opinion first before i started "tampering with my racket" i am 16 by the way. and just wondering if anyone could help me. Any responses are well appreciated Matt

furyoku_tennis
03-16-2009, 01:19 PM
The APD is pretty powerful as it is. Have you tried a different strings or string tension? Lowering your string tension should help give you power.

mattread95
03-17-2009, 10:13 AM
The APD is pretty powerful as it is. Have you tried a different strings or string tension? Lowering your string tension should help give you power. im sorry but i just dont find the apd powerfull i have considered lowering my string tension and i ve tried all other solutions but to tell you the truth i like my strings and my string tension i get good control and good spin. So i woz turning 2 lead tape as a last resort to help the power without altering the balance

PimpMyGame
03-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Check your racket's balance then re-grip with a leather grip + overgrip if desirable (don't throw the old grip away yet). Add some lead to the hoop, I'd suggest somewhere between 12-15g total split evenly between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock (adjust to get back to original balance). That sould give you something to try and is completely reversible if you don't like this set up.

mattread95
03-17-2009, 11:09 AM
would anyone suggest putting 10 grams at 12 oclock on the hoop and 4.5 grams on the handle to balance it out??this is what nadal does"supposedly" so i wondered if i should do that because all i want is power with minimal change to the rackets balance
:)

PimpMyGame
03-17-2009, 11:13 AM
By doing the above you will alter your balance, and you have stated you don't want to do that. FWIW I think Nadal's balance is 2 pts HL (saw it in a thread on these boards recently).

GPB
03-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Here's a suggestion: forget about Nadal and how his is set upunless you have identical strokes and physique! If you want to add power to your racket without altering the balance, here's what you do. Measure the balance now. Put a little lead tape at the tip of the head at 12 o'clock, and then add weight to the handle until the balance is the same. Then test the racket out. Repeat if necessary.

But really, if you like the way the frame swings, I will echo the opinion of changing your strings/tension.

Gugafan
03-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Check your racket's balance then re-grip with a leather grip + overgrip if desirable (don't throw the old grip away yet). Add some lead to the hoop, I'd suggest somewhere between 12-15g total split evenly between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock (adjust to get back to original balance). That sould give you something to try and is completely reversible if you don't like this set up.

Do you really recommend adding 15 grams in total to the hoop!!??...I can add as little as 4 grams and find a noticeable differance. I would not recommend adding vast amounts of lead, as it just tends to ruin the feel of the racquet.

PimpMyGame
03-24-2009, 06:37 AM
Do you really recommend adding 15 grams in total to the hoop!!??...I can add as little as 4 grams and find a noticeable differance. I would not recommend adding vast amounts of lead, as it just tends to ruin the feel of the racquet.

I added 10g (total) to the hoop of my AG300s to counter-balance the effect of removing the stock grip and adding a leather one (+12g). This increased my balance from 3 or 4 pts HL to 8 pts HL. I figured 15g would probably keep the balance about the same.

For what it's worth, my rackets don't "feel" different, but they are more stable and the additional weight suits me so fortunately nothing has been ruined. But if it had it would be easily reversible, as I said previously.

winnerwinnerchickendinner
03-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Regarding lead tape....I wanted to add a little pop to my pure drive 100 in. so i did the following:
This may seem strange to some, but i like it and it works for me. I picked a spot on my garage wall and put a nail, then hung my racquet on it (horizontal) at the part where hoop meets beam. Then traced it with a pencil. Then I got the amount of lead that i needed and cut it in twelve even (small) pieces. I put them at 12 oclock, 1 oclock, 2 oclock, etc etc....Then hung it back on the wall and put tape above the grip (on the inner frame) until it hung evenly and perfectly back in the pattern that i traced. This put it back in it's original balance from the factory (with the strings I had.....Bab Thermogut mains at 58 pounds and Luxilon crosses at 56 pounds).
The reason I thought this was better was that I didn't want to have the extra weight in line from my hand to the 12 oclock. Why? I thought the racquet would be more likely to twist on off-center hits and especially off-center volleys would be less effective with the racquet twisting. Well, it is time consuming but I have three sticks set up this way and lovin it. Rock solid feel. Now, someone please get on and tell me I'm nuts. thanks, good luck.

03-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Regarding lead tape....I wanted to add a little pop to my pure drive 100 in. so i did the following:
This may seem strange to some, but i like it and it works for me. I picked a spot on my garage wall and put a nail, then hung my racquet on it (horizontal) at the part where hoop meets beam. Then traced it with a pencil. Then I got the amount of lead that i needed and cut it in twelve even (small) pieces. I put them at 12 oclock, 1 oclock, 2 oclock, etc etc....Then hung it back on the wall and put tape above the grip (on the inner frame) until it hung evenly and perfectly back in the pattern that i traced. This put it back in it's original balance from the factory (with the strings I had.....Bab Thermogut mains at 58 pounds and Luxilon crosses at 56 pounds).
The reason I thought this was better was that I didn't want to have the extra weight in line from my hand to the 12 oclock. Why? I thought the racquet would be more likely to twist on off-center hits and especially off-center volleys would be less effective with the racquet twisting. Well, it is time consuming but I have three sticks set up this way and lovin it. Rock solid feel. Now, someone please get on and tell me I'm nuts. thanks, good luck.

03-24-2009, 07:43 AM
oops sorry