PDA

View Full Version : Frame Size Differences

Kevo
03-16-2009, 02:37 PM
I notice a lot of arguments about importance of the size of frames. I thought I would share my back of the napkin approximations for how much extra margin you gain going from a mid to a midsize frame. I used the calculation for area of a circle. Since I am only interested in the extra margin around the sides of the frame I figure this is pretty close for the general case.

Moving From     Moving To     Extra Margin on the side
      88                 90                .06in
      90                 93                .09in
      93                 95                .05in
      95                 98                .07in

88                 98                .27in

So moving from a mid to mid plus gives about an extra quarter inch margin on the side of the frame.

I've always known that there wasn't a big difference between mid and mid plus. Where you really get some extra margin is with the oversize frames. However, I've also noticed that some frames seem to have much larger sweetspots than others.

Seems like the TW University can come to our rescue here. Check out the difference between the PDR and the Wilson K4 112. Now if only there were a way to chart feel.

Power Zone Comparison (http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/contours.html)

Irvin
03-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Your calculation are close but that is not your problem. Most rackets are not a perfect circle. You can increase the racket head's area by increasing the length of a racket and leaving the width alone.

Irvin

Deuce
03-16-2009, 09:10 PM
The largest, most significant difference by far when people change sizes exists not in the racquet head, but inside the human head.

Rather than performing physical measurements, you should be doing psychological studies - that's where the biggest difference exists, by far.

antgun007
03-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Racket size for me doesn't matter as much as the shape of the racket. I like the old school look of wilson rackets. also, does a quater inch really make a difference?

furyoku_tennis
03-16-2009, 09:25 PM
gotta agree with Deuce. the biggest frame size difference is in the human head.

Il Mostro
03-16-2009, 09:29 PM
The largest, most significant difference by far when people change sizes exists not in the racquet head, but inside the human head.

Rather than performing physical measurements, you should be doing psychological studies - that's where the biggest difference exists, by far.

The placebo effect is a powerful thing. Perception often becomes reality.:-)

NoNameZ
03-16-2009, 09:36 PM
lol, agree with those above statements. and if you do hit in the sweet spot consistently, a quarter inch wouldn't matter much.